Code of Conduct
    happy is the bleu heart<3

Default near disaster at the airport

I flew to Maine last Thursday for a quick vacation to visit friends. I'm sure you all heard the TSA security regulations about flying with "dangerous" liquids and gels by now. I hadn't heard them when I left for the airport on Thursday morning... We checked in at our airport in Wichita, KS and had not planned to check any bags. The only warning at the check-in counter was that shampoo and other liquids would not be allowed in carry-on luggage. No problem, I thought, our friends would have shampoo that I could use. At the security check-in, they took my shampoo, conditioner, shave gel, hair products, and toothpaste. They started to take my bottles of perfume, and I questioned that since they were in sealed bottles. The TSA agent told me they were instructed to take any liquid over 2 ounces. Ahhh but my perfumes are only 1.7 ounces when brand new and un-used. The agent thought about that and decided to let me keep them. (I had bottles of Angel, L, Pink Sugar, Eau des Merveilles, and my husband's B*man.)

We fly to Dallas and then to Boston, where I had to change terminals and as luck would have it, go through security again. The TSA agents there were not so understanding about the under 2 ounces rule and refused to let me through with my perfume bottles. The agent asks me why I don't just check my bag, of course I make a smartass comment about how I was worried the perfume would either break or my bag would get lost. By this time they are also wanting my (very expensive) face cream, so I decide to check the bag with my perfumes and makeup. We go to the check-in counter, where we learn our flight has been canceled. But, if we hurry to another terminal they can put us on a different flight ... off we go, check my bag, go through yet another security check (no problems, this time), make it to the gate on time, find out our flight has been delayed due to weather. We hang out near our gate and finally board two hours later ... but wait! they need to check our carry-ons just one more time! This time they decide to take my four tubes of lipgloss! (that I could have put in my checked luggage if I would have known). Who knew that a middle-aged woman traveling on a commuter jet to Bangor, Maine with 28 other people could be such a national security risk with a tube of Nars lipgloss?

And my suitcase? It got lost for two days ... but I did get it back eventually and all my perfumes were safe and sound.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Default Re: near disaster at the airport

Dear shades of bleu (may I call you S.O.B. for short?), I knew souls such as yours were having trials and tribulations that morning. Sorry you have to replace some goods, but glad the frags made their way through. Thanks for reporting on your experiences.

No doubt a lot of replacement products are being purchased this week at grocery and drug stores, cosmetic counters and frag etailers around the globe.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

rediculous situation. I remember one time on a flight to california they wouldn't allow us on with I think it was a tiny swiss army knife or something. cant really remember. In any case, on the actual flight dinner was served to us by the flight attendants with massive metal jagged knives and forks so huge you could practically reach the planes steering wheel with them and turn it towards the pentagon

Ohh I hear you guys... it really is too bad about the whole situation... no cosmetics at the duty-free now... no moisturizers on the plane to refresh after you lift-off and feel like all moisture's been sucked out of you... not even water that you can have at hand, only those little glasses and only a few of them to refresh during the flight... sad... sad and disturbing... Luckily, I had returned from my vacation on July 29th, before all this hit the fan... but now I wonder if I will voluntarily subject myself to all the hustle if I don't have to... so unless it's a business trip (I have to go on), I will stay away until this blows over, (and I sincerely hope it does soon).... I will just try not to fly for now... I know this is a silly thing to say, but really it just boils down to that... A pleasure trip should be PLEASURE not harassment and suffering....
    "Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali

Oh no! Scentless in Maine for 2 days?

Seriously, I understand it's all for security purposes, but it's a complete pain. Especially not being able to bring water and moisturizers onto planes. I also often used to enjoy bringing a bit of lavender essential oil just to refresh myself.

I remember on airlines such as Air France and Swiss Air they often have bottles of a unisex citrus cologne to keep you refreshed on long flights. I found it an incredibly welcome and thoughtful amenity and I hope they are keeping that up.

Hope you at least enjoyed your stay in Maine!
    Scent is such a lovely, simple pleasure!

Overcome By Fumes

Glad ya made it back safe. Flying has been enough of a nightmare lately even without the new rules--seems like everyone is getting delayed and missing connections, losing luggage. And the 'fumes are safe too!

Ack - what a miserable time! I'm so sorry you had to go through this. I really appreciate you posting about it. I'm going to New York next week for a family vacation/visit with relatives and I'll know not to carry-on anything but my paperback book! I was thinking of taking En Passant with me, but I've decided I'll leave her at home, where she's safe.

Can you imagine my reaction if my Malle was confiscated? I shiver at the thought.

I'm glad that security precautions are being taken and that airlines are attempting to protect passengers, but if I'd been caught by surprise and had expensive fragrances and skincare confiscated, it would have been quite depressing.

In my opinion if they were to confiscate a fragrance or indeed anything thats of any value then they should make arrangements to have it sent to you. It would just be so annoying having something like a Malle taken from you. And lets not kid ourselves, they wouldnt be thrown away. Somebody would be getting use out of the goods without paying for them, and quite frankly, why the hell should they?!
    Last edited by sdmilne; 17th August 2006 at 01:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by czesc
    rediculous situation. I remember one time on a flight to california they wouldn't allow us on with I think it was a tiny swiss army knife or something. cant really remember. In any case, on the actual flight dinner was served to us by the flight attendants with massive metal jagged knives and forks so huge you could practically reach the planes steering wheel with them and turn it towards the pentagon
    That was hilarious. True, isn't it all just very hypocrite? Scentless holidays must be a hell!
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

FYI, I once forgot a nice ($100) lighter in my purse. Security advised me to check it at some office in the airport...I don't recall the title. They held it there with my name on the envelope and I picked it up on my return.

The scale of these sudden new restrictions would make that sort of thing impossible, I suppose.

But, my dears, better safe than sorry. A foiled attempt doesn't carry the lasting drama as a successful one but just think a moment.

How much trouble and sacrifice would you quietly endure to magically erase 9/11?

I suspect each of you would take every bottle of perfume you own to the street and smash them methodically and joyfully with a sledge hammer.

Been fortunate enough to not be traveling during this whole aftermath, I arrived from my vacation 1 week before it all hit the fan. While it is true that these are small concessions to be made (checking luxury items rather than carrying them on) it is still a concession.

It is also a victory, however small, for the terrorists. Another limitation to the freedoms of the 'infidels' - that would be us. While I cooperate with the new restrictions as a necessary evil, I do not fail to recognize it as a limitation to the freedom that several generations previous have fought for.

So yes, I am sending a package in advance to my next destination so that I can still travel carry on without the 'forbidden' articles.

Best,

Dave

It really is sad and pathetic about the state of air travel. First, i better say this. This post is not politically correct. How is air travel going to be safer by taking away lip gloss and bottles of perfume/cologne from people???? I'll tell you how much safer it will be. It will be ZERO safer. Let me ask everyone this. Who hijacked the planes on 9/11 and who has been arrested wanting to blow jets up over the atlantic ocean??? Was it elderly black women???? Was it caucasian women who travel with their favorite face cream, perfume and lip gloss. Were they white men who travel with a bottle of cologne to splash on every morning before work?? Was it hip-hop moguls that like to be flashy with their bling???? No, of course it wasent. Yet its these types of people that are being stopped and searched before they get on a plane. Some people might say its making air travel safer. It's not though. It's harrasing people who pose ABSOLUTELY NO THREAT. Why not stop, question, and search the people that have a pattern of wanting to do us harm? Why not racially profile the type of people that want to kill innocent people by blowing them out of the sky? Wouldnt that make more sense even though some people may get offended????
    Last edited by rosbergs3; 18th August 2006 at 12:15 AM.
    Awesomeguy

Quote Originally Posted by rosbergs3
    It really is sad and pathetic about the state of air travel. First, i better say this. This post is not politically correct. How is air travel going to be safer by taking away lip gloss and bottles of perfume/cologne from people???? I'll tell you how much safer it will be. It will be ZERO safer. Let me ask everyone this. Who hijacked the planes on 9/11 and who has been arrested wanting to blow jets up over the atlantic ocean??? Was it elderly black women???? Was it caucasian women who travel with their favorite face cream, perfume and lip gloss. Were they white men who travel with a bottle of cologne to splash on every morning before work?? Was it hip-hop moguls that like to be flashy with their bling???? No, of course it wasent. Yet its these types of people that are being stopped and searched before they get on a plane. Some people might say its making air travel safer. It's not though. It's harrasing people who pose ABSOLUTELY NO THREAT. Why not stop, question, and search the people that have a pattern of wanting to do us harm? Why not racially profile the type of people that want to kill innocent people by blowing them out of the sky? Wouldnt that make more sense even though some people may get offended????
    I agree with you on some level, but remember it's better safe than sorry, and things are not always what they seem:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Yahiye_Gadahn

Another problem with racial profiling is that anyone from any country could decide to commit an act of terrorism.

http://www.aclu.org/racialjustice/ra...ing/index.html

Rosberg -whilst I do have sympathy for your post, there are a few points that need clarification.

Firstly -obviously you're alluding (although you don't explictly say so) to Arabs as 'these types of people'. However, please don't get confused between race and religion. Religion is behind the recent terrorist attacks; race is not. Religion is a choice; race is not. I'm of muslim descent (on my father's side) but I've been brought up as British, I'm an atheist and am a more vociferous critic of Islam than most of my counterparts. Lots of Arabs aren't Islamic. Moreover, there are black and caucasian muslims. In fact, single men tend to get more security attention at airports because that's a more reliable profile than simply 'brown'.

Racial profiling isn't foolproof (is certainly less thorough than the current system) and creates resentment amongst those who do not sympathise with terrorists but get hassled anyway. Plus, don't forget that the middle east doesn't have a monopoly on terrorism (in Britain, the anti-terrorist precautions on our public transport guarded against the IRA).

Still, the current security measures are horribly done. They should tell people well in advance what the security precautions will be so that you can pack your hand- and check- luggage taking them into account, have a system (perhaps just a postbox/post office station and a ton of big envelopes?) before the security check so that you can post anything confiscated from you back and sell (sealed) bottled water in the boarding lounge that you can then take onto the plane. I can't imagine a long haul flight without enough water, it's inhumane and very bad for your health as flying's so dehydrating.

I heard that in Israel, which is succeeding in avoiding terrorism involving commercail aircraft, they don't do profiling as some people would like the U.S. to do. They interview each person before a flight. It is necessary to go the airport far in advance of the departure time. If they are suspicious based on the interview they detain the individual and do further research.