Wading through recently received perfumes here. These are just first impressions and I know a good perfume deserves lots of time.

Good:
Asprey, Purple Water. Classic cologne tradition, light fresh citrus opening, then it actually smells purple. The Jacaranda? Would put off many as too feminine and perhaps old-fashioned, but I love it.

CSP L'Eau de Governeur: fantastic stuff, loved the sample, love the perfume, in my top 5 right now. Everything I like in a perfect combination: wood, spices, green. I praised this elsewhere already.

Helmut Lang Cuiron: Like it. The plum works really well against the leather. Very masculine. Ich bin ein Ledergott! Now I feel like looking at Helmut Newton nudes

Caron, Parfum Sacré: The bug has got me, I'm buying stuff I won't wear. The reviews were so enticing I couldn't resist it for 10 Euros. And it is a wonderful old-fashioned rose, powder, and lots-more-to-discover fragrance indeed.

Hohum:
d by Dunhill. It's well made but conventional, nearly boring. Dunhill's attempt to join the young&fresh bandwagon in the late 90s?

Etro Mahogany. How much wood could a woodchuck chuck...This is so dry and lumbery without any proper spice or anything to support. Scratchy and I don't much like the drydown either. Willing to invest some time on this, though, since I normally love dry wood. Meanwhile, hand me my Bois du Portugal, please.

Bois de Filao: Not bad, but kind of empty. Violets, a bit of wood, but it fades so fast. Much weaker, in every respect, than Gouverneur.

Tsar: Plain boring. Exactly the kind of scent that used to make me think "why do some people make such a fuss about fragrance?" It's not outright bad though, so I'll give it a chance to grow on me.

Not good:

Montana Green. Shower gel scent. I hate this kind of stuff. Utterly superfluous. This is going back where it came from: ebay.

I'm looking forward to Crabtree & Evelyn's Sienna and Bogart's Silver Scent now, which I suspect will both be to my liking. Read about it next week.