Code of Conduct

Default Are Frags Ever Really Discontinued

Perhaps the obscure ones are. But in my experience, frags that have hit the mass market can generally be found for YEARS, and I question whether their production has been asssumed by another MFGR. Case in point Bowling Green. Supposedly was discontined years ago, but could be readily found since then. Just recently I was at a big discounter and they had a huge table of boxed gift sets -- I doubt these have been sitting around for years. What gives? On the other hand, frags such as Havana do not appear officially disontinued, but seem to run out of stock. Do houses simply stop production for a while to deplete what's on the street, and restart later?

Default Re: Are Frags Ever Really Discontinued

I guess some Houses just constraint production of certain fragrances to the point they become extremely rare on the market, and for some people this would represent a discontinuity statement.

But certainly, a lot of fragrances they do become discontinued and their Houses will never resume production, ever. You will only see them again, from time to time, being traded as masterpieces. Unfortunately, some real jewels have fallen into this unfair category.
    « L'odeur de rose, faible, grâce au vent léger d'été qui passe, se mêle aux parfums qu'elle a mis.»
    [ Paul Verlaine ]
    Wardrobe

Polo Crest, where art thou?

I recently bought a few vintage bottles of Faberge West on eBay. (Various sellers.) It was a fragrance I was obsessed with as a teenager in the 70's. All the examples I've found have lost their original essence and really don't smell anything like my memories of it. I asked basenotes member "MaisonStinky" his opinion, and he said that all perfumes have a shelf life and lose their potency after a while.

Serpent

Yes, scents do get discontinued. Some are just discontinued regionally(like Jules by Dior) but are still sold in select markets, or some have their formula and name sold off (like Society, which used to be by Burberry), but some get the full-scale ax. Ask any woman who was head-over-heels in love with Chaos by Donna Karan. Better yet, try and find a bottle of it. Go on. Look around. I'll wait.

...or Jil Sander's "Feeling Man." I saw a bottle on ebay just last week with a starting bid of $299. Needless to say, I didn't bid.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Dayknight
    Polo Crest, where art thou?
    I'm lucky to have a bottle of this. How come only the good ones get the ax??

KO
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Quote Originally Posted by knightowl
    I'm lucky to have a bottle of this. How come only the good ones get the ax??

KO
    So, do you ever use it?

Speaking of possibly-discontinued scents, I saw a ton of Paloma Picasso's Minotaure at the Ambassador Bridge duty-free shop on the Canadian side.

Maybe it isn't discontinued after all... just in limited distribution?
    Top 5 for Late Summer:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Aventus - Creed
    3) Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    4) L'Humaniste - Frapin
    5) Millesime Imperial - Creed

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Does anyone know whats the deal with Havana? How long has it been since it has been discontinued? Yet it pops up on eBay in large numbers. DAMM YOU ARAMIS!!!
    "...but I also can't prove that mushrooms could not be intergalactic spaceships spying on us." Daniel C. Dennett

Top 5
    Heritage 2. Antaeus3.Kouros 4. Drakkar Noir 5. Montana PDH

Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by MFfan310
    Speaking of possibly-discontinued scents, I saw a ton of Paloma Picasso's Minotaure at the Ambassador Bridge duty-free shop on the Canadian side.

Maybe it isn't discontinued after all... just in limited distribution?
    As I understand it, this might be one of those regionally discontinued scents.

Cerruti have discontinued their two best creations why? They must sell enough 1881/si etc. to support the classics, from a business point of view (almost like "loss leaders" Aramis have done the same, JHL and Havana have both gone, yet the company (or parent company) must be turning over fortunes, still. All very odd.

Quote Originally Posted by Serpent
    As I understand it, this might be one of those regionally discontinued scents.
    Like the exquisite New West not being available in any UK stores, but apparently all over the place in the US.

Conversely the Fresh M7 is common here in UK, but not in US.
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'Hermès | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by rach2jlc
    ...or Jil Sander's "Feeling Man." I saw a bottle on ebay just last week with a starting bid of $299. Needless to say, I didn't bid.

John
    really? ive seen this go for like 15 bucks... damn... shoulda grabbed it. it probably sucks anyways... just like startdust for men isnt exactly worth the 600$ of so its usually listed for on ebay