Code of Conduct

Default DK Black Cashmere as mens fragrance?

The descriptions of of Donna Karan Black Cashmere are very intriguing - woods, incense, spicy, safron, slightly sweet and not feminine.
    http://www.basenotes.net/ID10211220.html
    http://www.community.basenotes.net/s...d.php?t=179965

So, can anyone here comment on Black Cashmere as a mens fragrance?
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Default Re: DK Black Cashmere as mens fragrance?

totally acceptable to me comes across a lot drier and somewhat dirtier on me than my girlfriend.

Yes. Yes. Yes. It is pretty potent, however, and should be applied sparingly. In my opinion, this plays on the same playground as things like Timbuktu and Lubin's Indole.

Regards,
    Steve

I love Black Cashmere. Mas macho than many a "men's" fragrance.

--Steve
    Just because it happened to you doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

My sales thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/304...85#post2614885

Wanted: YSL Nu EdP

I bought a bottle eager for this great show too, but I really didn't like it. I wear women's stuff too--L'Heure Bleue even--but I didn't get much out of Black Cashmere. Maybe it's an issue of not liking the scent rather than not thinking it masculine enough, but on the other hand I gave it to my mother and she loves it.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

what else is it comparable to (outside of Timbuktu and Lubin)?

Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by dcampen
    So, can anyone here comment on Black Cashmere as a mens fragrance?
    I first encounted both Black Cashmere and Kingdom on the Bloomingdale's men's counter. They were both being cross-promoted for men almost out of the gate. I wrote an anecdote on the Black Cashmere thread currently running on the women's board about my father's adopting a bottle of Black Cashmere I sent to my mother. It's very masculine and quite easy for a man to wear - easier, perhaps, than for a lot of women.

There's a whole set of woody-incense fragrances, and they're anchored by Comme des Garçons (the original eau de parfum) on the warm end and Black Cashmere on the cool end. In between, 10 Corso Como, Costes, Padparadscha, that wacky religious scent, and a clutch of others fill in the gaps. But those two scents - Comme des Garçons and Black Cashmere (a reworking of the legendary and much mourned Chaos) are the touchstones. Donna Karan has released a set of Donna Karan Essences - Jasmine, Lavender, Labdanum, and Wenge - which are eaux de toilette of four of the notes from Black Cashmere to be layered at will by the wearer. Of course, these are much, much more expensive than Black Cashmere, too. (Why a piece of the scent costs more than the whole dang thing is a mystery, but there you have it...)

Quote Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
    what else is it comparable to (outside of Timbuktu and Lubin)?
    Phil,

Like sjas1962, Black Cashmere EDP reminds me very much of Olivia Giacobetti's Idole de Lubin, especially in the top and middle notes, less so well into the drydown. I am a huge fan of this fragrance as I am of Idole de Lubin.

dcampen, I might be the wrong person to answer your question because, basically, the test for me as to whether or not a fragrance designated as a "women's fragrance" is wearable as a man's fragrance is whether I like it or not. I tend to be more indiscriminate than most in this regard, but allowing that people have differing views about wearability based on feminine and masculine designations, I don't think you will have any problems with this one. It is, as you rightly surmise, an "intriguing" fragrance.

scentemental

Last edited by scentemental; 17th August 2006 at 05:23 PM.

This was my SotD. It is completely wearable for men. No problem.

It has some floral notes which gives it some feminine vibes, but overall this is pure and extremely unisex scent. It`s fine with men absolutely, but then it is totally wearable for women too. Great, unique scent that has something in common with Ambre Sultan, imo.

I don't know, I like Black Cashmere, even though I never dared wearing it myself. The combination of woods is great but somehow I think middle notes are a little more on the feminine side, after the initial blast something reminiscent of a women's body lotion comes to surface which makes it a very sensual feminine fragrance.
    I would suggest CdG 2 or even Tam Dao (not so complex but still a nice scent - layering it could be an option)

Overcome By Fumes

I get the incense, saffron, and woods in a way that works fine for me. Easily unisex in my opinion.

Had to laugh at sjas1962's typo. That'll be the day when the name a fragrance Indole.

You can add as much woods to a feminine scent as you like.
    What you are left with is still a feminine scent, albeit a very butch one.
    Renato

Guys,

I am testing a sample of Black Cashmere and would like your further input on how its longevity and sillage strength compare to Idole de Lubin. I would especially like to hear from Scentemental on this topic as he claims to be "a huge fan" of both.

I have also posted this query to the women's forum so feel free to answer here or there or both

Thanks!
    ~mad

I think Idole is much better than Black Cashmere. I don't they'er very much alike, besides the incense aspect to them. Idole seems so much warmer, richer, with all that rum, wood, smoke and the whole tropical feel. Black Cashmere is liquid fireplace. I smells like some busted up a wengewood desk, put it in the fireplace and set the sucker on fire. Oh, and throw in a spice rack and a vase full of carnations in with the burn't wood.

I have a bottle of Firepit, oh..I mean, Black Cashmere, but I seldom wear it.

They should of called it Black Ashes. O.K. fragrance, though, but stupid bottle!

S

stevolution,

I appreciate your comparison. I plan to wear both at once, one on each arm, to do my own comparison also.

~mad

Quote Originally Posted by Renato
    Renato
    Thanks.

Seasons Greetings

Quote Originally Posted by Renato
    Renato
    I hate going round and round with this but since i have no life, am sitting am home in front of my computer on a saturday night by myself, i'll go ahead and indulge myself. I find it very odd that some people think Kingdom and BC are so feminine that they could not possible work on a man. Kingdom and BC are mens scents disguised as womens, but dont say that to the naysayers. If Dior Homme and been released as Dior Femme and come in a pretty, fou fou bottle, do you think anyone would say it was suitable for a man to wear? I seriously doubt it. If Amouage Gold had been released as a womens fragrance how many men would say its suitable for a man to wear? The answer is ABSOLUTELY ZERO!!!!!! But i have read reviews that Amouage Gold and Dior Homme have "masculine qualities". They do?????? Where are they????? So i guess what my question is, why the double standard?
    Awesomeguy

Default Re: DK Black Cashmere as men's fragrance?

Definitely. But -- as stevolution pointed out -- be prepared for the ashy smell. It dies down, yes, but -- for the first 30 minutes on me, and longer on others -- the "fireplace" smell lingers. (Pure, unadulterated smokiness also abounds in Thé Brun by Jean Charles Rosseau, and also in Avignon by Comme des Garçons.) I do not much like this note in any scent, but rest assured that it dies down in all the scents listed here, and -- once it does -- all are lovely. But I still give that word of warning, k?

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Why DK did'nt launch this as a men's scent is beyond me. It becomes something of a scent skin scent after what seems forever, but still retains the bitter burnt smell. It isn't ugly to me, infact I like the stuff. I would think that such a woody, spicey frag would be warm and cozy, but somehow BC comes off kinda chilly, sooty and "snuffed"...like a cold fireplace without the fire.

I put this fragrance right beside Lonestar Memories as far as the "feel" is concerned. Both are kinda dark, cold and melancholy, but worthy of owning.

If you can get Black Cashmere for cheap: grab it. It's worth getting for collecting's sake.

S