Code of Conduct

Default Ever find colognes nice, but not that you want to buy?

Ever had a scent that you think is nice, maybe good, but it is just not really pushing you to buy it? Secretly wish that someone would make you a steal of a deal so you can justify getting it?

Like today, I am wearing a sample of Montale Amandes Orientales. As it was drying down, it really started smelling nice. Decent projection and wearable in the heat. Not all that long lasting. I like it, and Greyland, and Woods and Spices, but I can not see buying a bottle as it does not get to the excitment level. However, Id take a bottle if someone gave it to me.

I am finding that really, the Montale line is one that is nice, well made and just about every scent is wearable and enjoyable, but nothing is standing out, shouting "You gotta buy me NOW"

Sam

Default Re: Ever find colognes nice, but not that you want to buy?

My reaction to Etro Heliotrope was kinda similar. I like the way it smells (I quite frankly think that it smells wonderful), however it was one dimensional (read not interesting enough) to warrant a buy. I thought I would be bored after a couple of wearings.
    "Whereof one cannot speak, one must remain silent thereof." --Wittgenstein

I feel that way about a lot of fragrances, one of those things where its nice enough, fairly pleasant, I'd wear it if someone gave it to me but I'm not going to spend my own money on it.
    Can anyone remember love? It's like trying to summon up the smell of roses in a cellar. You might see a rose, but never the perfume.
    -Arthur Miller

Oh certainly! Especially on niche (i.e. extra expensive) fragrances. Quite a few Creed, Bond No. 9, etc. that I've rather enjoyed. But yet would never dream of paying the price for a full bottle.

On the flipside there's Caron Pour Un Homme. Received a sample from someone today and tried for first time. After the intial, and not so pleasant, blast it turned into the calm vanilla/lavender/rose scent I'd read about. I like it, but I don't love it. Yet for ten dollars a jug I'll probably buy it anyway.

I'm usually more at war with myself on what to buy than what not to. I was wanting Green Irish Tweed then Tabarome. Wanted Eucris by Trumper, but hey. For the price of one of those I could buy Bulgari Black, Bulgari Pour Homme, and if I was extra calculating maybe even another! Now that's pleasurable anguish.

All the time.

Of all the fragrances I've sampled, I'd say the breakdown is:

10% - have to have
    5% - headache
    85% - ok but uninspiring