Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Rant! Department Stores and samples

Earlier this evening after work, I went to House of Fraser store in Croydon, and noticed that my favourite assistant (i.e. who is generous with samples) was there. She's a very friendly young lady, who is knowledgeable about fragrance and has served me before.

After I had purchased a Miller Harris Terre de Bois EDT (to layer with the EDP that I already own) for £48, she of course went off opening drawers and started selecting half a dozen or so lovely samples for me, including a 5ml of Ambre Sultan (hooray!).

Then this older bossy cow assistant comes along and starts interfering saying: "you're spoiling him, if you give him any more samples he'll need another bag to carry them in". Hmmm. That annoyed me, because I've spent a lot of money in that store over the past few months. How dare she interfere with the other sales assistant, who clearly had a better attitude toward customers.

I've emailed House of Fraser's Croydon manager to commend the excellent helpful assistant, and to complain about the other interfering one. I've pointed out to them how giving out samples improves customer relations. I also mentioned in my email that I post on basenotes.net and share my findings with other consumers! So look forward to seeing what there response will be.

Stores need to start wising up about giving out samples. They shouldn't need to be asked and a purchase should not always be necessary if the customer is showing genuine interest and knowledge about fragrances. I'm going to get stricter about this, and only take my custom where I know I'm going to get samples!

what really annoys me is that at House of Fraser they appear to have loads of samples in drawers all over the place, including for goodness sake Serge Lutens and Hermès etc. but most of the staff there are so clueless, and would let a customer by a Creed without even offering anything (apart from the helpful assistant that I've thankfully identified).

OK, rant over. If you have any comments about stores giving out frags, share here!
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'Hermès | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Rant! Department Stores and samples

Interesting post! At the House of Fraser store in Leeds, a lot of the fragrance consultants are very generous with samples. There was one in particular who was from Mugler, we always stopped to chat with her but never bought anything. Without fail, before we said goodbye, she would go and get a bag and shove lots of samples in. Another wonderful SA is based in Harvey Nicks in Leeds. She covers Prada and CdG and always gives me lots of samples of whatever she has in, again I have never bought anything from her, I don't need to because of all her samples. The Kenneth Green SA in Harvey Nicks is always generous as well. I have had a number of Lutens' sprays in velvet pouches given and a dinky bottle of Eau d'Hadrien shower foam.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Barry
    ....I have had a number of Lutens' sprays in velvet pouches given....
    Sounds very good. Wish that could happen to me. I've had some Lutens samples, but no velvet so far. Reckon I need to visit Leeds!
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'Hermès | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews

I'm anxious to hear what they say if/when they reply.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DrBubba
    I'm anxious to hear what they say if/when they reply.
    Hehe, I'll let you know. Mind you they might not reply at all knowing how dumb companies are these days!

At least some of the staff there are cool. Hope is not lost.

Wardrobe / Reviews