Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Geir ness

Talking Geir ness

What can I say! Believe all the hype!

"The Power of Crisp Norwegian Mountains Blended with wild herbs, wet woods and natural oils...creates this clean, distinctive and sensual scent"

Nails it too a tea, I have met my new holy grail - believe!

P.S the greatest thanks to Vijay!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Geir ness

I suppose I will have to get this eventually. Via some online route. But I far prefer buying in brick/mortar shops. Just annoys the hell out of me that you can't just walk in a store in UK and buy the damn stuff.

Why oh why do they not market this in UK?

EDIT: I have no idea really what this is like, having never smelt it. But I guess I'm "sold" on the hype. I've yet to see a bad word said against it!
    Last edited by GenuineImitationLife; 17th August 2006 at 08:31 PM.
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'Hermès | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews

Talking Re: Geir ness

I am in the UK in essex. I just purchased from Vijay. He is a very cool guy. v. friendly....give it a go. you wouldn't regret it.

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutley!

I almost bought this a Nordstroms a few weeks ago and for some reason decided not to. 30 minutes after I left Nordstroms I went into a fagrence store in West Los Angeles and they had a tester for $20!

This has become on of my favorit scents.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GenuineImitationLife
    I suppose I will have to get this eventually. Via some online route. But I far prefer buying in brick/mortar shops. Just annoys the hell out of me that you can't just walk in a store in UK and buy the damn stuff.

Why oh why do they not market this in UK?

EDIT: I have no idea really what this is like, having never smelt it. But I guess I'm "sold" on the hype. I've yet to see a bad word said against it!
    ill show you the first bad word, its musc ravageur meets aqua di gio meets quasar. unfortunatley its all the worst parts of each. this stuff is really not as spectacular as most people make it sound. its barely above average after the initial (rather pleasant ill admit) few minutes. I don't want to start a geir ness fight or anything, im just letting you know that at least one person out there isnt enthralled by it.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with Czesc! This is sugar and flowers and more sugar. It's a nasty mess. I got a headache within the first 5 minutes. It's supposed to be a fresh fragrance but if sticky sweetness is fresh then, yeah, I guess it's fresh. It's sort of like scented laundry sheets shoved up your nose.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by czesc
    ill show you the first bad word, its musc ravageur meets aqua di gio meets quasar. unfortunatley its all the worst parts of each. this stuff is really not as spectacular as most people make it sound. its barely above average after the initial (rather pleasant ill admit) few minutes. I don't want to start a geir ness fight or anything, im just letting you know that at least one person out there isnt enthralled by it.
    Hmmm. And I'm quite particular about scents. I don't like any obvious artificial or chemical over- or undertones. I'm very sensitive to anything bitter or harsh. I like natural lovable scents which are cuddly and gentle.

Whether or not I would like Geir is of course a mystery so far. The more I read these boards, the more obvious it is that's everyone has a totally different experience of idential scents. (Makes me wonder if we see colours differently as well, but that's another story). But the problem ought to get solved in reasonable future history. Perhaps I'll link up with Vijay. He sounds like a great guy to deal with. I just happen to be an old-fashioned bloke who likes buying froms shops most of the time (you can smell it, look at it, etc). Probably the best bet will be for me to get a sample or decant from him. Will give that some thought.
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'Hermès | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by paintrman
    I'm with Czesc! This is sugar and flowers and more sugar. It's a nasty mess. I got a headache within the first 5 minutes. It's supposed to be a fresh fragrance but if sticky sweetness is fresh then, yeah, I guess it's fresh. It's sort of like scented laundry sheets shoved up your nose.
    Is it anything like Tobacco Flower by Fresh (which I love)?

Wardrobe / Reviews

Nice top notes, but the drydown is nothing to scream about, smells common and nothing special. It gave me headache a few times when I wore it, and I just don't see why people praise it so much. I find Creeds Silver Mountain Water far Superior.
    "...but I also can't prove that mushrooms could not be intergalactic spaceships spying on us." Daniel C. Dennett

Top 5
    Heritage 2. Antaeus3.Kouros 4. Drakkar Noir 5. Montana PDH

Cool Re: Geir ness

do it! vijay is the man and geir is the frag. A perfect combo!

as the summer comes to an end this will be *the* perfect autumn frag.

(Are you sold yet)?!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by incedal
    Nice top notes, but the drydown is nothing to scream about, smells common and nothing special. It gave me headache a few times when I wore it, and I just don't see why people praise it so much. I find Creeds Silver Mountain Water far Superior.
    Is it similar to SMW? If so, then it might well be right up my street!

And yet you say the SMW is superior. Could it be a similar comparison to the TM Cologne vs Creed OV debate?

Wardrobe / Reviews

Smile Re: Geir ness

i have SMW and geir ness smells *nothing* like it. Geir is unique plain and simple. I will wear it to work tomorrow and if i don't get at least one complement I with throw it in the bin!

Is it similar to SMW? If so, then it might well be right up my street!

And yet you say the SMW is superior. Could it be a similar comparison to the TM Cologne vs Creed OV debate?
    They smell nothing a like, Geir has the Mountain air slogan whiles Creeds is Silver Mountain Water. I find Creeds much more closer to mountain air than I do Geir. I am am not sure if you will like it, for me it was just to boring and smelt common and nothing unique.
    "...but I also can't prove that mushrooms could not be intergalactic spaceships spying on us." Daniel C. Dennett

Top 5

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JP1
    i have SMW and geir ness smells *nothing* like it. Geir is unique plain and simple. I will wear it to work tomorrow and if i don't get at least one complement I with throw it in the bin!
    I'm going to try it blind - well, I just ordered a decant.
    I really want to believe the hype, but I'm deeply worried about the Allure Homme Sport references on the reviews page (several of them).
    However mountain air + cherry sweetness sounds excellent.

Wink Re: Geir ness

of course there's always going to be two sides. me, geir gets a thumbs up. I can find something about geir that I may not like, but that's with every frag and everything. with me geir doesn't get noticed much after 3 hours unless the person gets very close to me. when first applied, its beautiful. let us know what u think about geir when you try it. flee

Post Thanks / Like

Geir and SMW don't smell too similar, but they fill the same niche, if you know what I mean?

Post Thanks / Like

To me Geir is a very overhyped and ordinary fragrance. Just because Mr. Geir is a nice guy doesnt mean we go out and buy his fragrance. Grabazzi by gendarme is the most appropriate for all those mountain accord references.
    -

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, definitely test this one first. It's very "feminine" to me. Whatever that means. Vijay is the best. I just ordered a bottle of Greyland from him yesterday. His screen name is maisonstinky around here.

Kelley

Post Thanks / Like

This thread has some of the most frustrating posts I've ever read. Do you guys realize how ridiculous it is to say "Geir sucks because Silver Mountain Water is better" and then turn around and admit that they aren't actually very similar? Well you're right, they aren't similar at all. And guess what: Geir doesn't smell like Allure Homme Sport either. Come to think of it, I can't really think of any scent that Geir does smell like. Yet it's accused of being ordinary?!?! Geir is unique in its ability to come off as fresh yet be so deep at the same time. I'm also confused by comments that it is cloying. It has good sillage and whatnot, but the sillage it has is really light and airy in a beautiful away. It doesn't seem suffocating to me at all, and I haven't noticed that other people find it suffocating either. It's fine if you guys don't like it, but please at least try to make valid criticisms. I've worn this scent probably about 75 times. I be you guys who are making nonsensical criticisms haven't gone beyond the realm of a sample vial or a passing spray at Nordsroms.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The_Giraffe
    This thread has some of the most frustrating posts I've ever read. Do you guys realize how ridiculous it is to say "Geir sucks because Silver Mountain Water is better" and then turn around and admit that they aren't actually very similar? Well you're right, they aren't similar at all. And guess what: Geir doesn't smell like Allure Homme Sport either. Come to think of it, I can't really think of any scent that Geir does smell like. Yet it's accused of being ordinary?!?! Geir is unique in its ability to come off as fresh yet be so deep at the same time.
    Dude cool down, there were many people voicing their opinion on Geir, hence there are many different, sometimes contrasting, views on this thread.

To me, yes, it smells ordinary because nothing in it that stands out and yes it smells very sweet too - theres nothing "Fresh" smelling in it. If you like to wear it, all the power (of Norway) to you. Just because a certain population doesnt like it shouldnt stop you from enjoying it.
    -

Post Thanks / Like

If you don't get anything fresh out of it then you don't actually know what it smells like. I'm not trying to bash your ability to review a scent but I recall that you only had a sample of it and many times that isn't enough. It smells very fresh to me (though not at all in a generic way) and MANY people have commented that it smells fresh when I wear it. Whether or not you think that the entire composition comes off as fresh, there are some really obvious fresh elements to the scent.

Post Thanks / Like

If you don't get anything fresh out of it then you don't actually know what it smells like. I'm not trying to bash your ability to review a scent but I recall that you only had a sample of it and many times that isn't enough. It smells very fresh to me (though not at all in a generic way) and MANY people have commented that it smells fresh when I wear it. Whether or not you think that the entire composition comes off as fresh, there are some really obvious fresh elements to the scent.
    Yes my observations are based on two sample vials of it. I even poured half of one of the vials on my chest to get a better sense of it, as was (maybe) suggested by you.
    -

Post Thanks / Like

I suppose I will have to get this eventually. Via some online route. But I far prefer buying in brick/mortar shops.
    Vijay's place is brick and mortar. The pix on the website makes it look like the store even has glass for the windows! Paint on the walls too. Brick, mortar, glass, paint: An honest to God shop (granted Florida is a bit far from the UK)

Post Thanks / Like

why does every female ive ever asked about there opinion on this scent say i smells like a female perfume? My gf even said it smells like shalimar. WTF was i given the right bottle. I ordered it off the main retailer. It doesn't even matter anymore, i gave it to my nephew for him to mack it down the halls of his highschool. He seemed to like it. I just wanted to like that damn fragrance and a part of me still does, but damn it has something feminine about it, please tell me i'm right.

Post Thanks / Like

This fragrance is one of those "nothing else like it" type of scent. It's so special that no fragrance wardrobe is really complete without it. Of should I say: " If you're a fragrance/perfume afficionado, you should at least smell it once." Personally, I am quite fond of this fragrance. It's definitely in my top 10! Congratulations on your newest acquisition:-)
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

Post Thanks / Like

As I said on another recent thread...it's not cool to bash people for having a different opinion than yours. It is cool to bash a fragrance (if that's what you feel) because they don't have feelings and that's why we are here on Basenotes, to learn to distinguish between good and not so good fragrances. We aren't here to put other people down.

Oh, and I wore it several days in a row hoping to eventually get over the headache inducing sweetness but nope. I agree that some fragrances should be given a chance. Many of them eventually grew on me. Geir, on the other hand (probably because of my chemistry) just smelled like sweet flowers. Hey...more for you all!
    Last edited by paintrman; 18th August 2006 at 02:45 AM.

Firstly, Geir is EDP so method of application is important. If it gives you headaches, you're putting it on too close to your face and in a manner you usually use for your EDTs, ie. a few hard spitzes to the neck and other spots on your body. IMO it's not meant to be worn that way. I wear mine with 2 spritzes, walkthrough, on the bare chest. Throughout the day, i could detect subtle wafts of the scent permeating the cloth and infusing the air around me with a soft floral bouquet. The subtleness induced by that method of application creates an amicable aura around me that people have found to be inviting. It's unique because it is one of the few florals, men can wear.

SMW is similar in style but not in composition. Nevertheless, i have both and find different occasions to wear each scent.

About the "mountain air accord", that's just a concept brief. Whether Geir really fulfils that brief is a very subjective matter though i do feel a certain "coolness" about it that might be the mountain air component, but i'd ignore it and sample the fragrance for what it is, not what it's meant to be. My brief for it would be different. I like to see it as the embodiment of almost child-like innocence. Clean and pure, like tears of an angel.

I am convinced that I must be from another planet. I can't stand Geir as it gives me a monstrous headache everytime I try. That, and it reminds me too much of Chanel Allure Sport...

TNMA

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I really think geir could have done without that watermellon note, that and less sweetness on the drydown, it honestly could have been better. I think it started out as a good concept but Geir even said himself that he had to add the sweetness and watermellon notes to make it more commercially acceptable!

I do not get half the comments about this stuff either. I hear people who don't like it say that its pleasent at first, but with bad drydown. I think exact opposite. I can barely stand this stuff out of the bottle, its that refreshing wet wood smellt hat I cant get enough of. I've sprayed this stuff on my neck and got a headache, will never do that again. Hands down the most powerful stuff I own and thats why I love it. 1 Spray to the chest, 1 to back of legs (Or 2 walkthroughs on chest) and you are good for the next 16 hours.

Its like damn near every scent, you shove ur nose down your shirt and it probably will smell a bit sweet. Smell it in the air as someone walks by with it, pure magic. This has been my work cologne for almost a year now after getting suggestions for it and it has been fabulous. Numerous compliments from customers and most important it triggers itself very nicely whenever I have to a get a lille sweaty lifting objects.

Only regret is I shoulda bought the smaller bottle, this stuff goes a long way.

This thread has some of the most frustrating posts I've ever read. Do you guys realize how ridiculous it is to say "Geir sucks because Silver Mountain Water is better" and then turn around and admit that they aren't actually very similar? Well you're right, they aren't similar at all. And guess what: Geir doesn't smell like Allure Homme Sport either. Come to think of it, I can't really think of any scent that Geir does smell like. Yet it's accused of being ordinary?!?! Geir is unique in its ability to come off as fresh yet be so deep at the same time. I'm also confused by comments that it is cloying. It has good sillage and whatnot, but the sillage it has is really light and airy in a beautiful away. It doesn't seem suffocating to me at all, and I haven't noticed that other people find it suffocating either. It's fine if you guys don't like it, but please at least try to make valid criticisms. I've worn this scent probably about 75 times. I be you guys who are making nonsensical criticisms haven't gone beyond the realm of a sample vial or a passing spray at Nordsroms.
    I never knew having a opinion was a crime What I think of Geir is what I think of it, I do not know why you take it so personal. I do find Geir boring and common smelling, The only reason I had compared it to SMW was because of the both claims of mountain air accord.
    Last edited by incedal; 18th August 2006 at 09:14 AM.

Top 5

The only fragrance I own that smells like Geir is Laguna. The drydown of Geir is pretty similar to what Laguna smells like but Geir has a more floral take whiles Laguna is Vanilla dominated. But to MY nose they smell very similar.
    Last edited by incedal; 18th August 2006 at 09:22 AM.

Top 5

Cool Re: Geir ness

only *small* slimiarity is with allure sport when you smell the frag in the bottle. this however disappears as soon as you apply. Geir is outstanding. it propels me into looking over mountains over norway with the cool breeze blwoing against me. it is heaven.

Post Thanks / Like

In my perception, Geir does not have anything naturally fresh, much less is it anything like mountain air (except if there's a fragrance factory on the mountaintop, perhaps). It is sweet, subtly floral, soapy-clean and certainly has its share of synthetics, no? If Gendarme smells fresh and natural to you, or any other fabric softener , then so will this, I would wager. My conception of freshness is quite different and my only association with Geir is perfume. It smells "fragrancy," like certain skin creams do. In fact it reminds me of a more refined version of what Neutrogena handcream smells like. Which happens to be Norwegian. Anyway, I could see myself liking this on somebody walking past me, as a brief impression, but I find too boring to wear myself. My two scents...
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Reading all the reviews on BN I was expecting a super fragrance, so I blindordered this. I was really underwhelmed. It smelled not bad , but not great either.And way too synthetic and loud. I really don't get the edp classification also, cause this one lasts a regular 3 hrs on me. If this was a new Hugo Boss release , I'm sure this was less popular over here. A wee bit overhyped this one.
    Last edited by eric; 18th August 2006 at 10:42 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Incedal, that's really interesting that you mention Laguna because the very first time I ever smelled Geir when I had only been into scents for about a month (and happened to own Laguna), Laguna was the first scent that came to mind! I even talked to the SA about it! Of course, she didn't know what Laguna was but she was nice at least. Here's the rest of the story: I own Geir and Laguna now (and have for a while) and now that I have a more trained nose and have had extensive experience with each of them I see little to no similarity between the two scents and I can't quite figure out how I ever did. I think tomorrow I will do a wrist to wrist comparison and investigate the situation. I'll get back to yall.

Incedal, that's really interesting that you mention Laguna because the very first time I ever smelled Geir when I had only been into scents for about a month (and happened to own Laguna), Laguna was the first scent that came to mind! I even talked to the SA about it! Of course, she didn't know what Laguna was but she was nice at least. Here's the rest of the story: I own Geir and Laguna now (and have for a while) and now that I have a more trained nose and have had extensive experience with each of them I see little to no similarity between the two scents and I can't quite figure out how I ever did. I think tomorrow I will do a wrist to wrist comparison and investigate the situation. I'll get back to yall.
    To a trained nose they do not share much similarities, but if you were to smell someone wearing Laguna and they had walked passed you the sillage would instantly remind you of Geir. I think the top notes of Laguna are similar but the drydown is vanilla dominated whiles Geir is more floral and woody.

Top 5

Post Thanks / Like

I just got a mini of Geir last week, and I have to agree most with Dawkins.

Geir is harsh (in a heady way) in top notes and if blasted really can do a number on your sinuses. I have heard others say time and again that its the drydown that makes this one so good- and that reactivation that Dawkins explained.

I feel like Geir is an acquired taste in the form of a fragrance you don't expect to be an aquired taste. You expect it to work from spray number one. I'd say that it probably takes 4 or more wears to actually start understanding, and finding its message.

Its not really a style I am particularly drawn to, but I feel as a fresh oriental it is one of the best in its class.

Post Thanks / Like

I sampled Geir at Nordstrom a few weeks ago when I was in Detroit, and I'm on the fence.

To be honest, I like it, but the floral notes strike me as too feminine. At first blast, Geir is great, and then the midnotes are sorta like Thierry Mugler's Alien. The drydown is sorta similar (but not identical) to Gaultier2 (one of my faves), but it's much sweeter than the still-sweet Gaultier.

It's not the blow-you-away scent I expected, but it's not a bad scent, either. I guess I'll have to keep searching for that blow-me-away fresh/woody scent...
    I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone.

Post Thanks / Like

Milamber...no, I apply on my wrist...sometimes the back of my hand. I have read "the notebook" and know how this is done. I wouldn't want this sweet mess near my face!

Post Thanks / Like

When I first bought this blind, I kicked myself in the ass for it. It was nothing extraordinary to me and I found it to be a watered down version of Pi with some added florals. Milamber pressured me to wear it some more and I'm glad I did. I think it's hard to understand this scent based on first, second, or even third impressions. It took me a full week to fall for it. I wore it as my SOTD and SOTE for a week straight and began to appreciate all the minor facets that I neglected to notice before. The florals are really beautiful and well harmonized, so much that it's hard to tell which flowers are in the pyramid of notes. It's more of a whole bouquet joined together like an orchestrated symphony. I really encourage those who bought Geir and regret it to give it a few more wearings before swapping it out. It wasn't love at first sniff for me. But most of my favorites weren't either.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by teflondog
    I really encourage those who bought Geir and regret it to give it a few more wearings before swapping it out. It wasn't love at first sniff for me. But most of my favorites weren't either.
    My case is just the opposite When I received my sample from Vijay, I felt what I had read in a review: tears of an angel. Used it for about 2-3 weeks, then made a pause for about 2 weeks. When I came back to it, I found something which I didn't see previously: it's a bit more sweet than my nose could tolerate. Nervously made 8-10 more tries and the result is the same. And somehow it no longer impressed that much. The initial notes are outstanding, but the drydown is not something I want to wear.
    Luckily I didn't have the money to buy it then from Vijay, otherwise it would be on my (non-existing) swaplist

Wink Re: Geir ness

Used 1/2 a bottle of the stuff,... believe me I tried. I congratulate those who found the "hidden " beauty in this scent, but to me it's just a nice scent. Nice but not great. To each his own guys!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy
    ... it's a bit more sweet than my nose could tolerate.
    I must echo this valid point. For what it is trying to emulate (fresh Norwegian woods) Geir Ness is too sweet for my tastes. This, even though I love several even sweeter scents like Biagiotti's Roma Uomo. However, Roma Uomo is not trying to be evocative of woods and mountain breezes. Thanks, Vijay, for the sample, but overall I was very unimpressed. I also agree that Geir Ness has a similar vibe to both Laguna and Allure Homme - hell, even D&G By Man and Minotaure - but it (Geir) is sweeter than all of them to my nose. Even, yes, to point of, horrors, cloying.

Jeff

Someone else mentioned Gaultier2 when speaking of geir. The first time I smelled g2 I immediately thought of geir.
    m

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marczilla
    Someone else mentioned Gaultier2 when speaking of geir. The first time I smelled g2 I immediately thought of geir.
    m
    If it's anything like Gaultier2, then I'm going to hate it. Maybe I should just start forgeting about Geir, after reading some of the comments here. I suspect this is not "me".

Wardrobe / Reviews

If it's anything like Gaultier2, then I'm going to hate it. Maybe I should just start forgeting about Geir, after reading some of the comments here. I suspect this is not "me".
    you will regret it.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the same suspicion, but my curiosity wins this one hands down.
    And of course a decant (for the price of a lunchtime snack!) won't ruin me financially. I've spent 9 euros on sillier things!

I advice you to try it, it maybe that you may like it and could work for you like it does for many others. Just get a decant and give it a trial run.

Top 5

Why are men so attracted to Geir Ness, this is an interesting question?!
    There is something to Geir which other mens frags don't have, practically it is a higher concentration of natural oils which give it a bit of a perfumey quality.

But to me it smells pretty much like they combined Escape for men with Chanel's Coco - oops!
    Last edited by perfectscent; 18th August 2006 at 09:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I advice you to try it, it maybe that you may like it and could work for you like it does for many others. Just get a decant and give it a trial run.
    Thanks. You mean well and I appreciate your posts, and the others on this topic. But I often wonder about the hype around some of the frags discussed on this board (sorry if that sounds ranty, I'll try to tone it down!).

But (deep breath) OK, sorry to go off topic here, but indulge me for a moment: take all the fuss about M7 Fresh. You'd think it was manna from heaven from some of the things said about it, but I bought it, and lo behold, it's just a fairly ordinary, pleasant enough scent. Nothing extraordinary at all!

I may get some Geir eventually. But somehow I'm not in any hurry now. I am slightly annoyed by Geir Ness, the company, that they only care about marketing in the US, and ignore the rest of us. That is not a good start and they come across as a bit "deliberately exclusive" or something. But when I do eventually sample it, I will try to do so with an open mind!

Wardrobe / Reviews

Post Thanks / Like

But (deep breath) OK, sorry to go off topic here, but indulge me for a moment: take all the fuss about M7 Fresh. You'd think it was manna from heaven from some of the things said about it, but I bought it, and lo behold, it's just a fairly ordinary, pleasant enough scent. Nothing extraordinary at all!
    I felt the same way about Davidoffs Relax, which was very hyped here for a little while. I tried a few samples of Geir based on all the talk here too.

Although I didnt like either and thought they were way too overhyped, atleast all the basenotes talk gives you some interesting and not-too-common scents to seek and try which in turns expands your fragrance knowledge and horizons.
    Last edited by zztopp; 18th August 2006 at 07:39 PM.
    -

Thanks. You mean well and I appreciate your posts, and the others on this topic. But I often wonder about the hype around some of the frags discussed on this board (sorry if that sounds ranty, I'll try to tone it down!).

I may get some Geir eventually. But somehow I'm not in any hurry now. I am slightly annoyed by Geir Ness, the company, that they only care about marketing in the US, and ignore the rest of us. That is not a good start and they come across as a bit "deliberately exclusive" or something. But when I do eventually sample it, I will try to do so with an open mind!
    I know what you mean, thats what happend with me and Geir. I just could not wait to try it and when I did I just felt very disappointed. The only fragrances that have lived up to the hype are Havana,Rive Gauche and many of the Creeds.

Top 5

Post Thanks / Like

I never did warm up to Geir, and I owned it twice. I really wanted to like it, but it never took hold with me. Kind of "cloud-like" in terms of its effects. A spicy-sweet-floral cloud.

And by the way, I'm a Chanel Allure Sport fan.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW
    I never did warm up to Geir, and I owned it twice. I really wanted to like it, but it never took hold with me. Kind of "cloud-like" in terms of its effects. A spicy-sweet-floral cloud.

And by the way, I'm a Chanel Allure Sport fan.
    I find Allure Sport much better than Geir IMO.

Top 5

Post Thanks / Like

I know what you mean, thats what happend with me and Geir. I just could not wait to try it and when I did I just felt very disappointed. The only fragrances that have lived up to the hype are Havana,Rive Gauche and many of the Creeds.
    The one to me that "lives up to the hype" is Terre D'Hermès. Sorry, I know I'm sounding like a broken record, but TdH just f*kin rocks, and I won't stop saying it!

Most of the Creeds are fantastic. The ones I like most are Silver Mountain Water; Neroli Sauvage (which I own and have a weird love/hate relationship with); OV; BdP.

I've never smelled Havana. Rive Gauche is very nice, but I probably won't buy it in the near future, there's too much else on my "to get" list!

Wardrobe / Reviews

Post Thanks / Like

I have G2 since last Xmas, and have tried intensively Geir nowadays: not for a single moment came in my mind that they are alike.

I have been reading this thread and wanted to avoid posting in this ( I have my reasons), but I have to defend Geir Ness and his company for this comment.

Geir Ness is a very polite and extremely professional in his business. I have not had a chance to meet him personally, but have communicated with him several times through email. I have also talked to their sales manager in the US several times, about the distribution of their products in other parts of the world

It is not that he does not want to expand his business outside of the US. And the following statement is true with any business entity. To market a product "successfully" in a new marketing arena, you have to have a budget and availabilty of funds and personnel to do so. He is not trying to be deliberately exclusive.

If you are outside of USA, try sending them an email by going to Laila.com , if you want a product they have. See their response and then judge for yourself. By the way do you want to know who the international requests get forwarded to ? .
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

Actually Rive Gauche is one of the scents that I encountered before reading all the reviews here. I was off to try Live jazz as I always ignored YSL and I suddenly run into RG - omg I thought - I had to have it since then... it was a love at first sight
    Last edited by perfectscent; 18th August 2006 at 11:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

everyone is entitled to think...

but I rather like it.