Code of Conduct

Default What to wear to funeral service

I have Guess Man, Very Sexy 1, Jake, Gucci Envy, and Allure Sport.

Not a wide choice, but I'm thinking Envy. Yeah?

Default Re: What to wear to funeral service

why is this funny when it is not supposed to be...?! :-)
    sorry man

I say wear nothing. go natural, besides its not about you its about the one who has passed

It's a pity that you don't have Demeter's Funeral Home, as that would have been literally perfect. Or possibly Dirt or Bonfire

I have no deliberate knowledge of the scents you've mentioned [am I the only person not to know what Envy smells like?], but my immediate thought is that it should be something of respectfully low sillage.

I guess the circumstances would dictate how appropriate or relevant that thought is - a 'celebration of a life' type of service would, I imagine, allow for fragrances with greater emanations.

Yeah, an unusual question!

Who says it's not supposed to be funny :P
    All dry humor aside, I bought Kouros yesterday and I'm doing a good eleven solid sprays right before I leave.

Quote Originally Posted by genvy5
    Who says it's not supposed to be funny :P
    All dry humor aside, I bought Kouros yesterday and I'm doing a good eleven solid sprays right before I leave.

That funeral home is going to be booked solid next week.

I don't think any of your scents are particularly suited for a funeral. I don't think there are very many at all for that matter, that would work. The only one I think is fitting would be Lacoste Booster, which smells like an abandoned flower shop that nobody has been in for 50 years.

Given what you're working with, (and I see that you've already gone) I'd have reccommended a spritz or two of Allure Sport.

I really like "Jake" though! Actually, I like all of them.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

I always wear D&G Homme to funerals.
    Renato

"Wedding" "Job Interview" "Divorce Court" are all up for debate, but "Funeral" is the one and only event/social funtion for which I think there is a single, solitary correct choice: L'Artisan VdR

Nothing more or less will fit.

Shame its not one of the options.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
    "Wedding" "Job Interview" "Divorce Court" are all up for debate, but "Funeral" is the one and only event/social funtion for which I think there is a single, solitary correct choice: L'Artisan VdR

Nothing more or less will fit.

Shame its not one of the options.
    Nowadays, most funerals I attend - regardless of denomination or secular service - are celebration-of-a-life type events, not the dour, sombre affairs I remember from my childhood. Typically followed by a light meal and catching up with people you only see at funerals. Scents are quite appropriate for this type event.
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 18th August 2006 at 05:26 AM.

Serpent

I've only had to go to only close family member's funeral in my life so far, for my grandfather.

I wore Kingdom.

As soon as I saw the title I was like man, someone is gonna really push the envelope here and try to make a Kouros joke... thankfully it was the thread creator or else it might have been awkward. Does anyone else here not find death to be particularly sad? I think if my best friend or wife (well I'm not married but hypothetically) died it would be sad, but other than that death is more just weird than anything. Which is why you should wear the weirdest scent you have. You need weirder scents.

Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by The_Giraffe
    I think if my best friend or wife (well I'm not married but hypothetically) died it would be sad, but other than that death is more just weird than anything. Which is why you should wear the weirdest scent you have. You need weirder scents.
    Just "weird" may not be it. I mean, you don't want just to wear Ananas Fizz or something. You want a scent that properly taps into the emotions of the occasion.

For my funeral experience, I had family showing their a**es - there were fights over which family members would ride in which car to the interment - and was dealing with that whole Southern "insult-you-with-a-compliment" thing, all as I'm standing six feet away from a dead relative in a box. I decided to forego the more polite fragrance from the viewing the day before for something dark and angry - Kingdom. Dark and angry fragrance can somewhat comforting at a time of grief. So could soft and gentle (like a good oriental), or sober (like a dry incense)...

I don't really find death as depressing as most do, being a Christian dude. I mean, it still makes me sad, but I know that the spirit carries on(dream theater!). By the way, I meant memorial service, and I wore envy lightly. And since it was a 15 year old boy, there were a thousand 15 year old girls. Needless to say the air smelled like a myriad cheap perfumes.

Noir Epices would be a good choice for a funeral in my opinion.
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'Hermès | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews

Passage d'Enfer (not joking! Exudes holy pureness...)
    And a pair of dark sunglasses.

it's a good question

maybe something vetiver-ish? I don't know why I think this. . . to go with the pine box? but it seems clean and natural-ish like reminder of new life

I once attended 2 funerals in fairly close succession and on both occasions I wore Penhaligon's English Fern.

Though you don't have em, I think Van Cleef & Arpels or Jazz might work. I think it must be the rose. I think I wore Tsar to my grandfather's funeral.
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Something that smellls like incense like Passage D'Enfer, Messe de Minuit, Avignon, or VIlloresi Incensi. Maybe cedar? Tumulte, Sequoia?

Clean, not too much sillage.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

Probably nothing, but if you've got Kouros or Envy...they'd work.

Other than that...rose scents like L'Artisan VDR or Ungaro III seem appropriate. Although Ungaro is pretty romantic, so...

Other than than I might choose the solemn Dunhill Edition or Gucci PH.

Failing that any of the CDG Incence series would actually be perfect.

So...there ya go.

Quote Originally Posted by Echo777
    Probably nothing, but if you've got Kouros or Envy...they'd work.

Other than that...rose scents like L'Artisan VDR or Ungaro III seem appropriate. Although Ungaro is pretty romantic, so...

Other than than I might choose the solemn Dunhill Edition or Gucci PH.

Failing that any of the CDG Incence series would actually be perfect.

So...there ya go.
    LOL, I actually like your sense of practicality :-)