Code of Conduct

Default A Hypothetical Scenario: Scent recommendations.

The hypothetical scenario:

Someone overhears you talking about your passion for frargrances, someone you've met in passing before but don't know well. He's a late-20s early-30s male, neatly if not expensively dressed (polo & chinos), middle class, decent job, yadda yadda. Sadly this poor soul lacks a sense of smell, and would like your input on a fragrance or two, as even though he can't smell them himself he is well aware of the presence and effect of fragrance. And he is dubious about that can of AXE body spray that his brother claims will get him "all the chicks." He is single and looking, so he doesn't have a girlfriend to help pick these out for him.

He says he just wants to smell "good." Something appropriate for day, and at the office. And most importantly of course, one for the date with a girl who could be ms. right. He doesn't want to put too much thought into it, but he wants his bases covered.

You talk him into at least four fragrances, convincing him that he needs one for summer daytime, one for cooler weather, one or two for evenings, and perhaps one for more formal occasions.

(Setting aside skin compatibility issues for the sake of the exercise), what fragrances would you select, and how would explain each fragrance to him?

Thrax

Default Re: A Hypothetical Scenario: Scent recommendations.

I would tell him that he needed to invest in some Aqua Di Gio just cause the ladies love it, and it would hardly be offensive at all to anyone. For a cooler weather scent I would suggest Gucci Envy. Cause its not to heavy or cloying but nice and sweet and very sexy. This could also fit for the "night out" catagory. As for the formal occasion I might suggest some Rive Gauche by YSL just cause its a cool, classy, masculine scent. Best of luck to ya!

Blog Entries

Summer daytime: Kenneth Cole Reaction, Polo Blue, Clinique Happy, CK Be, Azzaro Chrome, Burberry Weekend

These are all light & extremely wearable frags that do not become overbearing in the heat.

Cooler weather: Lolita Lempicka au masculin, Bulgari Black, Burberry Brit, Givenchy Pi

These are all richer, more deep fragrances that will keep one warm on a winter's day. OK not necessarily, but these are simply great fragrances that I feel work well in cooler weather.

Formal occasions are a bit more tricky...you could go with something as simple as Burberry Brit, or something more elegant like Creed Himalaya.

I hope this helps.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Well, I'd recommend him Halston Unbound instead of Acqua di Gio, because It smells better, is cheaper and people think It's actually the Armani fragrance.
    For cooler weather I follow Daddy_Thrax: Gucci Envy. Perfect Oriental for beginners. A second cool weather fragrance would be Guerlain L'Instant: It's versatile - modern and chic at the same time.
    For the formal occasion, I'd suggest a classic scent: Trussardi Uomo - wealthy in a bottle!

Or you could just tell him to get one bottle of Kiton - since it covers all bases.

Tell him he is in a fairly unique position in that he can in fact have a signature scent, since his permanent block takes away any need to worry about olfactory block. And tell him 6 squirts maximum at start of the day, and 6 squirts after he's had a shower and is about to go out.
    Renato

I would tell Carlos...er I mean "him" to go to Basenotes and ask people. And then to listen to people here because even though Envy isn't a great fragrance it is pretty good, cheap, and easy to like. Great for dates. There's a nightime scent. Then I would heed their advice and get an aquatic scent for daytime, casual stuff. Aqua Di Gio is ok and would certainly do the trick, but might I suggest Aqua de Bulgari instead? Awesome stuff. Then to have a good one for just havin' some fun at a party of something I would suggest John Varvatos. While none of these are at all stuffy, I think that any of them would work just fine at a formal event. At this point Carlos smells pretty good. If he wants to dig more into scents and maybe get into some niche stuff, he should come back. Good luck man.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Giraffe
    I would tell Carlos...er I mean "him" to go to Basenotes and ask people. And then to listen to people here because even though Envy isn't a great fragrance it is pretty good, cheap, and easy to like. Great for dates. There's a nightime scent. Then I would heed their advice and get an aquatic scent for daytime, casual stuff. Aqua Di Gio is ok and would certainly do the trick, but might I suggest Aqua de Bulgari instead? Awesome stuff. Then to have a good one for just havin' some fun at a party of something I would suggest John Varvatos. While none of these are at all stuffy, I think that any of them would work just fine at a formal event. At this point Carlos smells pretty good. If he wants to dig more into scents and maybe get into some niche stuff, he should come back. Good luck man.
    Heh, Carlos was wearing L'Homme de Coeur today.

Four scents eh? single and lookin for ladies eh?
    These are my picks:
    Summer days: Phylosikis- smells clean and fresh/Ladies love it
    Night out: HM edp-smells great cuts through smoke and backround smells plus I've never worn this out without a woman handing me her phone number.
    Cold weather: Jaipur edp- I've never met anyone who didn't find this scent warm and sexy
    Formal occasions: Two Choices here. Himalaya for lightness of touch and classiness or Santal Noble for presence and depth.
    m

If he likes Axel you could start him with Paco Rabbane pour Homme. I think your friend will like it.
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

Quote Originally Posted by marczilla
    Four scents eh? single and lookin for ladies eh?
    These are my picks:
    Summer days: Phylosikis- smells clean and fresh/Ladies love it
    Night out: HM edp-smells great cuts through smoke and backround smells plus I've never worn this out without a woman handing me her phone number.
    Cold weather: Jaipur edp- I've never met anyone who didn't find this scent warm and sexy
    Formal occasions: Two Choices here. Himalaya for lightness of touch and classiness or Santal Noble for presence and depth.
    m
    am a novice here..so it wud take some time before i acquire the scent lingo..but wut exactly is HM?
    Last edited by gupts; 18th August 2006 at 10:43 PM.