Code of Conduct

Default Office Wear - Allure Sport, Mania, others

Last fall, I became interested in wearing a scent, for the first time since I was in high school. I am now in my 40's and work in an office environment with open cubicals. I learned so much from all of you and embarked on sampling MANY scents over a few weeks time.

One evening, whatever scent I had applied after work as a test, drew me like no other! It was an overwhelming, this is it! I went to check what it was and you would be shocked to learn, it was Adg ;-). I purchased Adg from the store that had been so helpful with samples. I loved it. It wasn't long, however, before I grew a little bored of it and wanted something different.

I tested many new scents and ended up with D&G ph. I enjoyed this very much. After wearing it every day for a while, I became very concerned about my poor colleagues at work. This is one powerfull scent. I wore 2 sprays to my chest under my shirt and I still was very worried about offending. I thought it was time for something new.

I again tested new scents. The Bvlgari PH just blew me away. I liked many thing about it and remember still smelling a pepper note (that I liked) on my shirt the following morning. It just felt right, so I bought Bvlgari PH, which I have been wearing every day for a couple of months. I REALLY like it, but for some reason, my bottle doesn't seem to give that same pepper and longevity I experienced with the tiny initial sample. This is likely just my perception and I still really like it. I'm not necessarily looking for powerful pepper notes, I just had this recollection of it. I started with 3 sprays to my chest under my shirt and have now gone to 4 sprays. Maybe I need more, but I'm worried about over doing it. Just as an aside, I did try the Extreme version and it didn't suit my taste.

I think I caught an addiction :-), because I am now exploring some new scents. I am not giving up my much enjoyed Bvlgari PH, but rather looking for a second one to add to a daily office wear rotation. I want to personally enjoy my scent and project a little to others. I don't want anything loud or not appropriate for office wear. I would like for a person standing or sitting next to me to smell my scent, but not someone 6 feet away in the next cubicle. Longevity is also important to me. I am not going to reapply during the work day.

I have done forum searches and reading here on "office" scents, but wanted a new perspective. I am considering Allure Sport or Armani Mania. What are your thoughts on these for a daily office wear with "I can smell you only at arms length" wear. I little sexy is ok, as long as it's not too much for daily office. Do Allure Sport and Armani Mania fit my desire and which is preferred? I am also very open to other ideas to sample. Thank you all!

Default Re: Office Wear - Allure Sport, Mania, others

Welcome Todd!

I am on the same search as you right now. I want some new scents that aren't too sexy for work but aren't boring either. The ones that are working for me now and I think you might like are:

Lanvin L'Homme - has just a hint of an aqua note with fresh lavender and a very slightly woody/vanilla drydown, though no one would call it an oriental. LL plays an interesting balancing act of straddling several categories and really lasts. This has been called the "clean white shirt" scent for good reason.

M7 Fresh - Nearly impossible to sample on this side of the pond, but if you have smelled the original M7 imagine replacing the grape soda top note with lemon+grapefruit, throw in a little ginger, and generally "turn down the volume" of the agarwood. M7F is a perfect case of taming a big sexy beast and making it really wearable without losing the spirit of the original. Lasts most of a work day.

Mania is pleasent, but doesn't do a lot for me. I have been hearing Allure Sport mentioned quite a bit lately which is making me curious to smell it again. I cannot remember anything about it, but I know I'm not a fan of the original Allure.

They all work for the office.

Allure Sport - 3 to 4 sprays max. It's like Allure with Polo Blue mixed.

Mania - wear as much as you like!

M7 Fresh - we'll see...just got it back yesterday! Probably a 3 shot scent.

Polo Blue is also good, as is Polo Black, they're all subtle.

Thanks much for the help. I have sampled the Mania, but not the Allure Sport. I will have to try and sample the suggestions and the Allure Sport.

Overcome By Fumes

Balmain Ebene is an excellent fragrance for office wear.

Let me tell you of three samples I have tried:

Montale Fougeres Marine - a nice fresh scent, but by fresh, I dont mean soapy or like you came out of the shower fresh. I just mean that it is an aquatic scent but not sea-salty and not like an aqua di gio. Just maybe more like being in the back yard, smelling the whole atmosphere, not just florals or the linens. My wife likes it a lot. Does not move me, but it is not obtrussive.

Miller Harris Fueilles d Tabac: I dont know if I get tobacco, but if so, it is not a strong one. Seems as though they did not just want to throw everything in on this, not say roses on top or spices, but this one is a nice scent, not really creamy but it is smooth. I am not good at describing it, but it is like Calvin Klein's OBsession but not as sweet, but then not as dark as say Escada.

Divine's L'Homme Sage: I think this one is a winner. Somehow I found out about Divine and asked to get a sample from them directly. This one has been described as going into a green forest. Id agree but maybe throw a little bit of Johnsons baby talc to mellow it and you have a nice wearable scent. Boy, it is a strong one on me, which I like, so I know I will get my money's worth.

There are a ton of Montale scents I have tried, but these three so far are the most wearable of scents to the office, to dinner, to church, dressup or Saturday casual. I can see if you go out at night how you might want something heavier, same in the winter.

Sam

Of the scents you mention, I've used Mania. It seems to work well in a business environment.

I think they will both work, particularly Mania. I'm working in tight quarters with a bunch of other attorneys and don't have my own office like I used to, so this is more of an issue for me now. I actually have a tester of this stuff on the way because I'm in the same boat as you and I think it is good stuff.

What I've been wearing:
    Caswell Massey No. 6
    Fahrenheit
    Guerlain Vetiver (old)

I'm sure a number of readers are wondering what in the world am I doing wearing Fahrenheit in (1) close quarters and (2) during the summer. Well, let me tell ya...

(1) The scent becomes subtle after the initial 15-30 minutes. This means by the time I get to work it is really tame. I have this as a box set so I use EDT, Deod. & shower gel. Naturally if I oversprayed, it might be a different story.
    (2) Again, the scent becomes subtle and I think the heat only brings out some of the nice floral nature of the frag. On me it simply smells mahvelous. Personally I find Fahrenheit to be a summer frag (along with Antaeus), and the cold florals nature of the frag just works well along with the subtle sandalwood.

Fahrenheit has slowly risen to the top of the charts for me over the past couple of years.

I think there are a couple others which would work well in a close office environment which are probably controversial picks for some:
    Acqua di Parma - Colonia
    Jicky EDT (it wears well on me)
    Chrome (go light)
    Zino (it just sticks close to the skin no matter the weather for me, although it seems to be inherently a fall/winter frag.)
    Monsieur Musk
    Habit Rouge EDC
    Carven Vetiver (spritz all you want, hell, smash the bottle on the bedstand and pour it on you, it will still be subtle )
    Armani Eau Pour Homme (the original one with the brown box, it is just beautiful stuff)
    Eau Sauvage (of course)
    YSL PH
    Monsieur de Givenchy
    ... any verbena frag for that matter ...
    Personally I don't care for it, but Lanvin L'Homme gets a lot of cred for what you want. I think lavender is much better done in Jicky or Caron PUH or Geir.
    Agua Lavanda (Puig) [I'm wishy-washy on it, but an ex-BNer used to wear it regularly in a conservative work environment.]

If you want to go upscale, Equipage would do the trick or LV Uomo.
    Have fun spritzing!
    K
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

Blog Entries

I wear cologne to work every day. Almost everything I own is very light and inoffensive, so I use most of my frags for office wear. I've never received any complaints, but the only ones I've actually been complimented on @ work were Theirry Mugler Cologne, Kenneth Cole Reaction, and Burberry Brit.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

You have added so many new ideas. I must embark on some testing :-). Thank you all!

Mania is great for office wear, my dad has worn it for a couple of years, he's 54 and pulls it off nicely. I'll suggest Burberry Brit for Men especially, F. Malle Vetiver Extrordinare (I work in a hospital and that one pleases everone), Gendarme, Geir, or any mainstream Vetiver (Creed Vetiver (1948), Original Vetiver, Guerlain Vetiver) It always seems to come across as a pleasant clean scent...

Default Re: Office Wear - Daily wear

I'm looking for a couple of everyday fragrances. I've been wearing DKNY Be Delicious for the last few years, it's fabulous but I'm bored with it.

I've sniffed my way through John Lewis's perfume counter but can't find anything I like. I'm a beginner at fragrance, I know I don't like lemon, heavy rose, fresia or powdery scents. I do like woody and grass type notes, also neroli (although that's a bit heavy for the day). For the evening I quite like Mitsouko by Guerlain if that's of any use. For day wear I want something with longevity, but not that's going to overpower my colleagues.

I'm middle aged according to my DOB, but have a toddler and am young in spirit (and looks, I hope) so I want something that suits one aged about 30 (even though that's a distant memory for me). Be grateful for some suggestions.

Sur la Plage

Office wear = Anything you like to wear

Carbone de Balmain

Default Re: Office Wear - Daily wear

Quote Originally Posted by jollybird17 View Post
    I'm looking for a couple of everyday fragrances. I've been wearing DKNY Be Delicious for the last few years, it's fabulous but I'm bored with it.

I've sniffed my way through John Lewis's perfume counter but can't find anything I like. I'm a beginner at fragrance, I know I don't like lemon, heavy rose, fresia or powdery scents. I do like woody and grass type notes, also neroli (although that's a bit heavy for the day). For the evening I quite like Mitsouko by Guerlain if that's of any use. For day wear I want something with longevity, but not that's going to overpower my colleagues.

I'm middle aged according to my DOB, but have a toddler and am young in spirit (and looks, I hope) so I want something that suits one aged about 30 (even though that's a distant memory for me). Be grateful for some suggestions.
    Mugler Cologne

if you do Allure Sport, go light on the trigger, it projects heavy. Between the ones you mentioned, Allure Sport is the the one i would chose.

One i find very suitable for the office in terms of its theme is Cartier Roadster. Mature, serious, luxurious. Creamy mint.

most suitable for office scents are BORING scents.

Another vote for Mugler Cologne

ADG caused somebody at my former place of employment to go to the hospital. A co-worker had worn it and they ended up having an allergic reaction to it and I was involved with the accident investigation because there were a number of causes.

Interestingly enough, the engineers did their own accident investigation and concluded the root cause was the HVAC system. Doah! While the HVAC system may have been a contributing factor (we found the fresh air intakes were set below the building requirements due to hot, desert air being drawn in), suffice to say the root cause was Giorgio Armani's creation: remove that from the equation, no problem.

But I do recall having a chuckle with our S&H manager on the way back to my building, saying "let me get this straight. The symptoms were shortness of breath, dizziness, flushing, and the person almost passed out? Wow, I need to get me a bottle!".

And that, my friends, is why it's sometimes called spraying a bottle of "ladykiller".
    The Bark Bites Back here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com

Allure Blanche should be in the running as well.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Office wear = Anything you like to wear
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    They all work for the office.

Allure Sport - 3 to 4 sprays max. It's like Allure with Polo Blue mixed.

Mania - wear as much as you like!

M7 Fresh - we'll see...just got it back yesterday! Probably a 3 shot scent.

Polo Blue is also good, as is Polo Black, they're all subtle.
    I agree.....all of these will make great fragrances for the office!!!
    Gary

Chanel Egoiste, Platinum Egoiste are really nice inoffensive fragrances IMO. I wear these often to School/work (office environment).

Not a big fan of Allure Homme Sport though.