Code of Conduct
    nearfantastica

Default More designer reviews...

In the last couple of days, I have come upon some "very" inexpensive designer frags that I had to dispense money on... to add to my already bloated wardrobe :P Anyway... here's how they panned out...

Tiffany For Men:
    Probably my most pleasant surprise of the bunch. In it's unassuming blue box and Burberry like bottle I didn't expect much. Upon first spritz... it burst through with a powdery lemony beginning that was very resminiscent of Boucheron PH and D%G Masculine. This in itself did not impress me much.. <sorry, Shania for the blatent plug>. When the fragrance started to settle on my skin, it really started to shine through in a golden amber glow that caught be quite by surprise. The citric beginning knelt submissively as the florals started spread over it.. The Boucheron burst started to develop into a spicier fragrance.. less of a wood spice, and more of a flower spice that reminded me very much of a Chanel fragrance... in its nature and quality. For a very smooth and mellow fragrance, there is a lot of life in Tiffany for men. It's quite formal smelling, would be great for office wear AND romantic evenings - anytime you want to command attention and let others know you mean business. Upon a more recent sniff, I also feel as though the general smell of this fragrance bares some similarity to Coriolan by Guerlain... That being said... if Coriolan is Jason Alexander, then Tiffany for Men.. is, Goerge Clooney. Sexy, sophisticated, smooth... lovely fragrance. Good silliage and good longevity. Rating: A

Lacoste Cool Play:
    This limited addition Lacoste fragrance doesn't break any ground, but also succeeds very well at doing what it intends to do - create a "fresh" summer fragrance.. that blends into the other mass market scents lining the shelves of the local department store counters these days. For a fresh scent, Lacoste Cool Play strikes me as quite dry on the opening. It starts with a close to "minty" quality.... that quickly blends into a rather sweet vanillic base that is spritzed slightly with spice to keep things for bordering on boredom. If I were to describe what other fragrances Cool Play might smell like... I might toss the following fragrances into a Cauldron: The fresh burst of L'eau Par Kenzo (and the slight vanillic drydrown) with a "pinch" of Givenchy Blue Label...with a healthy dollop od the synthetic zing of Echo by Davidoff, all stirred into a frosty, dilluted portion of Baldessarini's Del Mar. With that type of recipe, the results cannot possibly rank as anything "new" or "groundbreaking" but it is a scent I might turn to on a day where I feel the need for something of that genre.. which I can't say is very often. Bottle is very similar to Style in Play... but the juice is blue rather than red... oooooh.. how dynamic Decent longevity, but wears very close to the skin
    rating: C+

Marc Jacobs:
    On itial spritz of MJ for men, I must admit.. I liked it quite intently.. perhaps it was the blend of fig and coconut that got my attention. Interestingly, something about this fragrance reminds me of "one" of the key notes from Geir, inferiorly blended, isolated... watered down, and then fed to us in a weak mixture that has no longevity.. at all. Within 10 minutes of applying, i was ready to move on to my next fragrance, without looking back. A shame really, for a fragrance with a lot of potential... nothing really happens. It's as though the perfumeur got restless halfway through and said.. "Meh, it will sell well enough, I'm going to starbucks!" Another summer scent that shouldn't offend much.... the bottle design is as dull as it comes... a squat bottle with no texture, nothing really to draw you to even "want" to pick up the bottle.
    rating: C

Platinum Egoiste:
    I had heard so much about this fragrance on basenotes, and I had quite high expectations going in. Upon initial apllication, this fragrance reminded me.. of Paco Rabanne XS. It has a similar, dry spicy-fresh beginning that is quite envigorating. Heavy on citrus and florals, moving into a woodier drydown. Quite classy smelling, but not stuffy in the least <it's hard to say whether or not I am influenced by the price or the house name>. Unfortunately, I found the longevity "and" silliage of this particular fragrance a little suspect, though not as poor as the previously mentioned Mar Jacobs. That being said, I feel as though it's a good summer day option as it is quite lively and pleasant to the nose. Would I reach for it often? Most likely... would I say that it lives up to the hype? Not really. Nothing fancy about the bottle, as is typical Chanel-fare.
    rating: B

Amor Amor Homme: As Ron Burgundy once said.. this one "stings the nostrils" and starts of smelling slightly sour, and not that unlike "off" or "deep woods". Upon further development it achieves a spicy warmness that reminds me of Arpege PH without the vanilla-sweet gourmand quality. Not a bad scent, but it did not react very well on my skin at all. Nothing overly special, but at the same time, nothing to really dislike either. Very Nice "Hugo Dark Blue-esque" bottle... Indigo-tinged, curvy shape.. easy to spray.

Kenneth Cole Reaction: Not worth my time. No longevity, no silliage.. fresh citrus done in a way that makes it feel like Signature's lazy cousin, which is in NO way an endorsement for Signature. Save your money and dispense it on something with a little character or depth.
    rating: D

that's it folks...

a.

Default Re: More designer reviews...

I've got a secret like for Tiffany for Men too. Never bought it, but I've come close. I held off because it is one of the two big men's scents that have tuberose as an element, and the other one is Floris Elite. I fall for Elite everytime I wear it, and I fall hard. So I've just stuck with that one because it's already in the collection.

I think it was this spring, but it might have been last winter that I wore Platinum Egoiste for a week straight. I hated it at first, but liked it on the third, fourth and fifth days. On me it had fantastic duration and I thought the best moments it had were the middle notes and the half way through the dry down stage: great florals sneaking out then. Really great on top of that resilient woody quality it offers. If I needed to I could make this one a signature scent. Mostly because it is right in the midrange of my tastes, exactly like you mention, Nearfantastica. A signature can't be knockout A grade, because then it gets brought down by constant usage and habitualizing ourselves to it. But a mid-grade fragrance like Platinum Egoiste fits there perfectly. Not the biggest trip, but kicks around nicely all the same and puts 9 tenths of the market to shame too.

Great reviews, man!
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by nearfantastica
    Tiffany For Men...reminded me very much of a Chanel fragrance... in its nature and quality.
    Tiffany for Men should remind you of a Chanel fragrance: Pour Monsieur Concentrée. The nose for Tiffany for Men was Jacques Polge, the house nose for Chanel, and Tiffany for Men smells essentially like an even more concentrated version of Pour Monsieur Concentrée.

Tiffany for Men sounds well worth checking out!
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'Hermès | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews

The Boucheron burst started to develop into a spicier fragrance.. less of a wood spice, and more of a flower spice that reminded me very much of a Chanel fragrance... in its nature and quality.

a.
    Well, that's unsurprising. What's surprising is that you picked it correctly. Five years ago it was common knowledge around here that Chanel made Tiffany for Men for the Tiffany company.

The PerfumeWorld entry for it has
    "1989 Tiffany & Co.(Chanel) USA"
    Well done.

I don't see the Platinum Egoiste/XS similarity - I'm a big fan of XS, but have never been able to warm to Platinum.
    Renato

Serpent

It's become more difficult to get one's hands on the Tiffany scents these days than it once was. They used to be sold at Saks and other high-end department stores, but a few years ago, Tiffany pulled the scents from all stores except Tiffany boutiques. Many sales associates do that old trick of telling people who ask about it that it's discontinued; I've been at counters where ladies have requested it and heard the reply with my own two ears.

If you're at a distance from a Tiffany boutique, you may be able to call and request a sample. I've found they are usually pretty generous with giving them out at the boutiques. The scents are available for purchase over the Tiffany website.

Quote Originally Posted by Serpent
    It's become more difficult to get one's hands on the Tiffany scents these days than it once was. They used to be sold at Saks and other high-end department stores, but a few years ago, Tiffany pulled the scents from all stores except Tiffany boutiques.....
    Lucky I work not far from Bond St in London, so might well pop into the Tiffany shop one day soon and take a sniff!
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'Hermès | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews

Amor Amor Homme: As Ron Burgundy once said.. this one "stings the nostrils" and starts of smelling slightly sour, and not that unlike "off" or "deep woods". Upon further development it achieves a spicy warmness that reminds me of Arpege PH without the vanilla-sweet gourmand quality. Not a bad scent, but it did not react very well on my skin at all. Nothing overly special, but at the same time, nothing to really dislike either. Very Nice "Hugo Dark Blue-esque" bottle... Indigo-tinged, curvy shape.. easy to spray.

Kenneth Cole Reaction: Not worth my time. No longevity, no silliage.. fresh citrus done in a way that makes it feel like Signature's lazy cousin, which is in NO way an endorsement for Signature. Save your money and dispense it on something with a little character or depth.
    rating: D
    Your reviews about these fragranges match exactly with what a think about them, specially the one related to KC reaction!!
    Reaction - what a let down!!!