Code of Conduct

Default Review: Beyond Paradise by Esteee Lauder

I recieved this as a sample when I purchased a CK gift seft. I wore this to a wedding once and thought I was a big hot shot. Thinking it would get me all the ladies. But after a few days on Basenotes my attitude quickly changed about this scent. I really can't make out any notes of this scent expect a faint watermelon smell. It is very fruit indeed and doesn't progress very smoothly through the notes or the notes at all. The sythenic smell it gives off is over bearly fruity and doesn't smell masculine to me at all. This is my SOTD today just for the soul purpose of finishing the vial. As I threw it in the trash, I am glad I am done with it and won't be missing it anytime soon. Does anyone have this scent? Any opnions on it?

I give it a 2.5 in all catergories out of a possible 5.

Thumbs down Re: Review: Beyond Paradise by Esteee Lauder

2 nights ago, I tested every single bottle and sample that I had (over 100). I sprayed them all on labeled cards (yeah, I was REALLY bored!) and tested them over and over, really paying attention to the scents as much as my nose could allow. Coffee beans in between and everything.

The top/favorite scents - Creed Green mountain and Original Santal, Terre d' hermes, vera wang, leau par kenzo, unforgivable, and dunhill.

My least favorite/hated scents - Obsession (oh my God it makes me want to vomit!), B*men, and Beyond Paradise (which smells like a burning mound of assorted plastic)

I cannot describe how much I hate Obsession and Beyond Paradise. They are both litterally nauseating to me. I can't imagine being able to decode what these scents are trying to tell us. I also cannot image that anyone could like these! B*men isn't all that awful, but at least it's somewhat balanced and individual notes or accords can be identified. Obsession has to be (in my opinion) the worst fragrance of all time. Beyond paradise is probably second place, only because a vague fruit smell can be picked up.

I can't help but think that if something as terrible and imbalanced as these two scents can make it to market, than there is a future in perfumery for me, seeing that I firmly believe that I could create a far-superior fragrace to either one of these. (having absolutely no background in scent creation)!
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Overcome By Fumes

Default Re: Review: Beyond Paradise by Esteee Lauder

I got the melon and even a fleeting moment of grapefruit note with this one. Then the bile note kicked in. Why someone made a 'fume that smells like puke is BEYOND my comprehension. It is definitely not up to PAR. A fragrance like this fortunately does not last long, and it is sad to have to look forward to when the drydown of one's fragrance DIES.

Ha ha, Beyond Paradise, imo just a proof of another experiment gone wrong!

Hydroponic gardens/paradise projec BS -- whatever , it appears to be a bad part done on their marketing dpt.
    Last edited by perfectscent; 18th August 2006 at 10:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by perfectfeet
    Obsession has to be (in my opinion) the worst fragrance of all time.
    Yikes!!! If you hate Obsession (which I love) then I'll go out on a limb here and suggest you stay away from Serge Lutens' Ambre Sultan.

Talking Re: Review: Beyond Paradise by Esteee Lauder

I may be finding that I have a strong aversion to amber. I don't think I own much (if any) and it seems that obsession is strong with it. The frag you described has amber in the name.

btw, I forgot to give my normal disclaimer that: if I "trash-talk" a scent, as I have here, that it is still in consideration that I know that I am only expressing my opinion. And of course, my opinion is based on my own taste and preferences.

So, with that said; Beyond Paradise smells as though someone vomited up a fruity alcoholic drink into a ziplock, then doused the whole thing in hairspray from the 1970's and lit it on fire.
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

that awful, huh. sample gone bad? i remember luca turin loved this stuff.

Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by TheCure
    that awful, huh. sample gone bad? i remember luca turin loved this stuff.
    Luca Turin has some odd fixations sometimes. I think what he was really in love with was the nose behind Beyond Paradise Men, Calice Becker. He gushes on and on about her and never writes a negative thing about her or anything she creates, included one of the ten greatest perfumes of all time... (brace yourselves) Tommy Girl. Yeah, Tommy-freakin'-Girl. His reviews about Calice Becker scents often go into how wonder she herself is, practically almost turning into a hagiography of Ms. Becker. One almost expects to read about how she reads to the blind every Wednesday and bakes the most incredible banana bread in his reviews, he's so in love with Calice Becker. In The Emperor of Scent, he got to meet a lot of noses, and one that seemed to particularly charm him, if I recall correctly, was Ms. Becker. Clearly the force of her personality had quite an effect on how he views her creations. If you read between the lines, you'll realize that, sometimes with Turin, the fragrance itself is an afterthought.

I have come in defense of BPFM! -well sorta..

I don't think it's an amazing scent but i do like it, yes i think it's a bit sweet, yes i think it's chemical and yes i think the notes listed are a bit "out there" and on the verge of ridiculous ( Eden's Mist? , Jabuticaba Fruit? Eden Buchu? Eden Vetiver? ..and has anyone actually seen a Golden Melaleuca Bark? ), but i give it a thumbs up not only because the scent itself is quite -err fetching, i also find the sillage and longevity pretty decent and at the end of the day it could have been a lot worse, i mean look at CK's Crave!
    I find Turin's reviews a bit funny and interesting but i never take them into consideration when choosing a scent i like...for example he also likes the women's version of this right? I think Beyond Paradise for women sucks.
    I didn't know about what serpent said and it was quite interesting, thanks for pointing it out! Is Turin's reputation going down because of this? or was he ever taken seriously, i mean really?.
    Last edited by castorpollux; 19th August 2006 at 01:27 AM.

Exclamation Re: Review: Beyond Paradise by Esteee Lauder

I would rather spray Crave in my eyes and take a shot of it than try to get through a day of wearing Beyond Paradise.

Lol! Ok, I'm just making up Bullshit now! Seriously though, did I mention that I hate it?

Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by castorpollux
    I didn't know about what serpent said and it was quite inetresting, thanks for pointing it out! Is Turin's reputation going down because of this? or was he ever taken seriously, i mean really?.
    I think Turin is quite serious and quite good at what he does - whether or not one agrees with his observations - but his obsession with Calice Becker and the way it quite clearly colors his reviews of her work just goes to show he's not some supernatural perfume reviewer but very human like the rest of us. His reviews are subject to outside influence - in this case, his predisposition to want to like everything this woman he finds very bewitching creates, no matter the objective merits - just like all of ours are.