Code of Conduct

Question How do YOU test scents?

If you will, describe the process you normally go through before deciding you like something enough to buy it. Do you require that you take a sample home to "live with" for awhile? Do you give the card a quick sniff and pull out your money? When you test your own sample vials or decants, do you evaluate the scent simply from use? Do you regularly re-visit sample vials to better understand prospective purchases? Can you tell all you need to by simply sniffing the vaporizer head? For how long do you sniff the card at the store? How deeply do you inhale? Please break down your testing process to the smallest detail and explain the journey to a new scent for yourself.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Default Re: How do YOU test scents?

I always test it on the paper strips first. That is the easiest way to weed out definete "no" fragrances.

If I like it enough I'll test it on my skin and try to get a sample. After I wear it on the skin I get to know what it is like on myself and if it passes the test then it goes into the box of possibilities.

First I spray on a card to see if it's even in the ballpark of what I'm looking for.

Then I'll spray it on my arm, wait for it to dry, then smell it close up to see if there is anything disagreeable about it.

Then I'll hold my arm a couple of feet in front of me and wave my arm to smell the sillage since this is the way most people will smell it.

If it gets past these tests I'll wear it around the store for a while to see how it develops.

If it really hits me at this point, I might buy it the same day. If not I may try a sample.

I never recommend people buy scents based on the card test alone. Always, if you can, spray it on your skin. From there you can see how long it lasts and if it projects enough for you.

I always get at least one female opinion, not the saleswoman!, and try to spray in at least 2 places. 1 where I sweat, like the top of my arm or neck, and one where I don't, like my under arm or belly. That way you can tell if it will hold up in the heat.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by EnvYuS
    I always test it on the paper strips first. That is the easiest way to weed out definete "no" fragrances.

If I like it enough I'll test it on my skin and try to get a sample. After I wear it on the skin I get to know what it is like on myself and if it passes the test then it goes into the box of possibilities.
    This is EXACTLY what I do. If I can't get a sample, then I go back to the store & spray some on a couple more times.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

If I test in a shop, I always spray on a card first to decide whether to try the scent on my skin or not.

If I decide to spray it on my skin, I let the scent "settle down" which means that if I'm at home (or am staying in the city in question a couple of days longer) I usually leave the shop at this point and if I like the way the way the scent develops, I might go back the next day and get it!

If I have no time to wait for the next day, I must decide sooner of course, but even then I try to give the scent at least an hour.

But my favourite way to test scents is to order samples and try them at home and give them plenty of time and possibly also several test-drives.

I would never, ever trust a card only, scents must be tested on skin.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

What EnvYuS said.

The scent on the card never develops as fully as the scent on my arm, which in turn is not as true to the real scent as when sprayed on my neck.

So normally, a scent has to pass the card test, then the arm test, then finally the neck test (for a full day) before I'll take the plunge.

Part of the fun is not jumping straight in - fragrance purchase should be like a dance of seduction!

There's no 100% correct right answer. Having been deceived by cards too often, I always spray on my arm and decide on that alone.

But that is actually sometimes inaccurate. Of recent times I've bought scents going dirt cheap that I'd previously rejected on either the paper test or on the wrist test. I found them fabulous in the actual wearing (GFF and Lanvin Oxygene come to mind).

Unfortunately, sample vials aren't given away that freely where I live, so I have to muddle along.
    Renato

Never bought a cologne in a store . Well, not since I was a teenager/young adult as there was no net way back then .

I get samples when I buy and then I dab a bit on the top of my hand and smell it thoughout the day and then decide whether to order it. Most of my buys have been blind.

Dan
    "We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."

Daily Wardrobe

I'm not sure if I'm the only one to do this but I sometimes test them by spraying or splashing a couple of times in a bowl half filled with water. The opening is big enough for it to air out and the water dilutes it so it smells very natural. I aslo find that the scent developes much faster this way and really gives it's intended path. When it comes to papers strips, they never smell right and you can't have enough skin to test them all.

Quote Originally Posted by lasta View Post
    I'm not sure if I'm the only one to do this but I sometimes test them by spraying or splashing a couple of times in a bowl half filled with water. The opening is big enough for it to air out and the water dilutes it so it smells very natural. I aslo find that the scent developes much faster this way and really gives it's intended path. When it comes to papers strips, they never smell right and you can't have enough skin to test them all.
    wow that's pretty interesting, never heard of that before
    gotta try it out sometime
    Can get (mostly mass market) miniatures on the cheap, inquire within. Will ship worldwide at cost.

I do the paper strip test first. If it passes muster I go to a spray on the skin. Usually will sniff it throughout the rest of the day. If it is something I want, I will go back to the store and get a sample (a few times I will buy it at that point). I will then test the sample several times to be sure it is agreeable to me. From there it is back to the store to purchase it.

I almost always try and get a sample vial if at all possible. I usually try to spray it on my arm and then use my hand to fan the scented air to my face, so I get a feel of how it really smells on me. I then weigh several factors, like uniqueness, quality, and longevity--and if the price is reasonable, I consider buying it.