Code of Conduct

Default Gimmie that ol' "OFF BEAT" fragrance(s)!

Hi all,

Most here know of my LOVE for UNIQUE/ODD type fragrances.
    I tend to group fragrances such as DZING!, NOSTALIGA and YOHJI together as a TYPE. Of course, this is not to say that they smell alike per se but rather, "cut from the same cloth" if you will. I would like to try more of TYPE of fragrances. Aside from the aforementioned fragrances, I would think BANDIT, BULGARI BLACK and ETRO MdM falls into this TYPE. That being said, are there any other reeeeally GOOD (LESS expensive than L'ARTISAN and SMN) fragrances I am overlooking that is DZING!/NOSTALIGA fragrance TYPE ? A CLASSIC perhaps ?

Regards,
    SixCats!

Default Re: Gimmie that ol' "OFF BEAT" fragrance(s)!

I'm not sure how (overly) synthetic fragrances works for you, but Comme des Garçons Skai and Tar are amazing and LOUD wild beasts both of them. They sure are no classics and I don't think they'll ever be but I sure love them none the less. Skai was the first one I thought of when you listed your TYPE fragrances (I own Bandit, Black, Dzing! and Nostalgia of the ones you listed) so I think it could be fitting.

Actually, when I come to think about it, I don't find Skai as insanely synthetic as one would expect. My girlfriend finds cinnamon in this one right away and I agree.
    Last edited by shifts; 19th August 2006 at 07:10 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd say you've got to check out Diptyque's L'Autre, Six. When the temperature here drops ten degrees I'm breaking it out.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If you are not afraid of women's perfumes then I would like to recommend:

EA Blue Grass
    Dana Chantilly
    VW Boudoir - Kouros for women
    Diesel Green Feminine

Also Royal Secret For Men

Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Post Thanks / Like

L'Air du Desert Marocain

Wonderful and certainly "off beat"!

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

Hi all,

Thank you all for your suggestions! Dan and Moon, thanks for your suggestions. I am NOT familiar with any of the fragrances you've mentioned so I will have to keep an eye open for them. Hey hey Chris! Nice to hear from you my friend. Ooooh dude, you are sooooooo right on! L'AUTRE is such a FANTASTIC OFF BEAT KNOCKOUT fragrance which without a doubt fits into my TYPE! Sadly, I used up my remaining decant of L'AUTRE and I need to replace asap. Hi ya Shifts! I know I should again try CdG. I searched sooooo hard to find myself a bottle of CdG 2 (years ago) and when I finally found a bottle...I HATED it! Since then, I have been sort of...turned off to trying other CdG's. I truly should give them another chance sometime soon as I often hear such good comments about CdG.

Regards,
    SixCats!

Chrisitan Dior Eau Noire. Belle-laide. I save this one for those deep dark nights of solitude, then put on one drop to inhale the layers of impossibility as they unfold.

Serge Lutens Arabie. Not a "stink" fragrance, but challenging to wear. This is the dark Count of Monte Cristo in repose in his oriental silks, smoking a rich tobacco, attended by his beautiful slave girl who is serving him an assortment of desert fruits and delicacies.

Hi Carlos! Welcome to the MADNESS!

Thank you so very much for your suggestions. I truly like your unique discription of CD EAU NOIRE! I will for sure be researching Eau Noire. Regarding SL ARABIE...I once owned ARABIE and I DID like it quite a bit.
    However, I ended up swapping the remaining half bottle to a friend in Greece. At this point in my fragrance hobbie, I would prefer go with the likes of Serge Lutens MUSCS KOUBLAI KHAN or...or...(if I had the money) MONTALE OUD CUIR ARABIE! Ooooh baby...talk about OUTSTANDING!

Regards,
    SixCats!

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Re: Gimmie that ol' "OFF BEAT" fragrance(s)!

The Dreamer is quite kinky. If you're into that kinda stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos
    Chrisitan Dior Eau Noire. Belle-laide. I save this one for those deep dark nights of solitude, then put on one drop to inhale the layers of impossibility as they unfold.

Serge Lutens Arabie. Not a "stink" fragrance, but challenging to wear. This is the dark Count of Monte Cristo in repose in his oriental silks, smoking a rich tobacco, attended by his beautiful slave girl who is serving him an assortment of desert fruits and delicacies.

Very nice. Now i can't wait to try these two!
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Post Thanks / Like

Yatagan is quite off beat, I think. But I am sure that you know it already...
    "Whereof one cannot speak, one must remain silent thereof." --Wittgenstein

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phantagarow
    Yatagan is quite off beat, I think. But I am sure that you know it already...
    Yatagan is the weirdest fragrance in existence (in my opinion, just to qualify that!). The smell of a sweaty chef after a hot day in the kitchen, chopping up massive quantities of celery, ladel-fulls of chicken soup with parsley and celery salt, and chunks of bloody black pudding. A distinctly carnivorous odour.

Certainly "off beat" without a doubt, but not something I'd wear I'm afraid!
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'Hermès | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos

Nice post Carlos!
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'Hermès | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews

Hi all,

RC, thanks for your suggestion of DREAMER. I once owned DREAMER but...while not a bad fragrance per se, I felt the need to swap it away for something more...ODD! lol
    Phan...ahhh yeees...YATAGAN. I USE to own YATAGAN. It is without a doubt is one of the most unique/unusal fragrances that SHOULD be included in my TYPE fragrance collection. However, after about one FALL season of use, I began to grow tired of YATAGAN and I swapped away. Again, it's not that I dis-liked it per se but, I dunno, it wasn't my favorite, still...I now sort of wish it were still in my collection for occational use.

Regards,
    SixCats!

Post Thanks / Like

SixCats...how about Andy Tauer's other wonderful creation "Lonestar Memories". It's a very strange and creative fragrance. One of the most unusual I have ever smelled.

Green and spicy head notes:
    Geranium, Carrot seed, Clary sage

Smoky leathery heart notes:
    Birchtar, Cistus, Jasmine, Cedar wood

Fine woody body notes:
    Myrrh, Tonka, Vetiver, Sandalwood

I dream about this fragrance. When you spray it on it's a blast of leather with birchtar. The jasmine only surfaces after you take a deep sniff and as you are going about you business there is a sort of clean laundry edge to the fragrance and yet it is very butch and manly. To me it dries down to the most wonderful incense fragrance with loads of myrrh with some of the leather hanging around. This one is odd and would be tough for most people.

If you haven't given it a try...seek it out.

Kelley

Hi Kelley,

Ya know...I do believe I have seen posts here at BN where you have mentioned this fragrance. Your discription of LONESTAR MEMORIES is making me what to SEEK OUT this fragrance! I have yet sampled LSM but, I AM going to look into this fragrance! K...do you have a favorite store/link for LSM ? God, how I LOVE the OFF BEAT fragrances! Thanks for your help K.

Regards,
    SixCats! aka Tom Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

Here's another off beat fragrance that came to my mind, Phileas. Although it is hard to find though...
    "Whereof one cannot speak, one must remain silent thereof." --Wittgenstein

Post Thanks / Like

Tom,

http://www.tauerperfumes.com/our-perfumes.html (his fragrances)

http://www.tauerperfumes.com/blog/ (his blog which I read faithfully)

Tom, have you also tried Greyland? I know that Vijay has samples of this one. It's a cedar/cumin experience. Mmmm. By the way, you have gotten me excited about a new fragrance (to me it's new) L'aurtre. I have written to a woman that I know sells Diptyque to find out more. I will let you know what I think.

Kelley

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, I should have said that he sells his own fragrances in his "store" section. Luckyscent also sells it. I don't know if they have samples but I recommend samples of this one for sure. Just take note of his postage costs. Although his Lonestar Memories is much cheaper at his site, postage is about $20 because it's coming from Switzerland.

http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/detai...1402&section=1 (link to Lonestar Memories on Luckyscent and they do offer a sample but I can guarantee it's not as large as Andy's sample)

Have fun.

Nino Cerruti Pour Homme; there's nothing like it out there.

Hello again SixCats...I'll second Lonestar - weird is right - and probably right up your alley too, with a heavy, greasy leather smell.

I always mention SL's Miel de Bois as an oddball as well.

Balenciaga Portos, if you haven't already tried it.

Parfum d'Empire Eau de Gloire is pretty odd too - a scent of contrasts, kind of reminding me of no.88 at times, without the prominent rose note, complex, both heavy and light, and kind of weird (it's listed as feminine, but I think it's supposed to be masculine).

Tonatto's Oltre is odd as well - a very, very cold marine scent.

Different Company Rose Poivree - stinky civet rose

Malle's Noir Epices, again if you're not already familiar with it

Quote Originally Posted by DustB
    I'd say you've got to check out Diptyque's L'Autre, Six. When the temperature here drops ten degrees I'm breaking it out.
    --Chris
    That`s the one. This makes scents such as Kouros etc. very easy to wear. And if you thought there was a cumin overload in Kingdom,you`ll be very suprised with this one.

Hi all,

Ahhhhhh...I'm soooo depressed! I LOVE DIPTYQUE L'AUTRE and my decant is just about gone! I have a problem with L'AUTRE's lasting power but, God, it's such a wonderful OFF BEAT fragrances. I mostly wear L'AUTRE in the evening when I just want to relax at home.

Regards,
    SixCats!

Quote Originally Posted by SixCats
    Hi all,

Ahhhhhh...I'm soooo depressed! I LOVE DIPTYQUE L'AUTRE and my decant is just about gone! I have a problem with L'AUTRE's lasting power but, God, it's such a wonderful OFF BEAT fragrances. I mostly wear L'AUTRE in the evening when I just want to relax at home.

Regards,
    SixCats!
    Hey man, I love L`Autre too. Just check out my top 30 and there it is with absolutely no reason to deletion.

I agree with you, this is a home fragrance for own personal pleasure only. Let`s face the fact: that cummin curry patchouli pepper overload makes this scent smell more like a sweat more than any fragrance I could ever imagine.
    It smells PURE SWEAT; AND I LOVE IT!!!! This is hardcore to even comparing it to Muscs Koublai Khan!!

Post Thanks / Like

There is a wonderful woman that sells Diptyque on Ebay and I wrote to her yesterday and asked about L'autre. She wrote me a long email trying to talk me out of it. She recommended a couple of others that are popular. Personally, I want the smell of "skank" in a bottle. Why is it that I love that b.o. note? Do you think as a society we have become so squeeky clean that it's sexy to smell sweaty? I am talking about clean sweat and not 5 day old sweat.

SixCats or anybody else, can you describe these potent wonders? I would love to know how you feel about Yatagan (maybe a short review?) and how about L'autre (thanks for your take PigeonMurderer). And, any others you think a fellow fragrance freak might enjoy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by paintrman
    SixCats or anybody else, can you describe these potent wonders? I would love to know how you feel about Yatagan (maybe a short review?) and how about L'autre (thanks for your take PigeonMurderer). And, any others you think a fellow fragrance freak might enjoy.
    Awaits expectantly, glued in horrified fascination

Wardrobe / Reviews

Post Thanks / Like

[I posted the following review about two and a half years ago. Healthy to bring it back, I think.
    --Chris]

L’Autre, Yatagan, Spezie, and Piper Nigrum.

I’m going to call these four of the same spicy/non-floral family. They’re not identical, and Yatagan is the most distant and most woody of them, but for internet review purposes I’m grouping them.

I rank L’Autre, by Diptyque, five stars out of five, Caron’s Yatagan and Lorenzo Villoresi’s Spezie each score four out of five, and I don’t like Villoresi’s Piper Nigrum so I rank it with two stars.

What I love about this review is that it makes me a hypocrite. Look at the Basenotes reviews of Piper Nigrum and Spezie--you’ll note how reviewers say they’re similar. And they are doggone similar. Spezie has a wider range of colorful, dry spices, Piper Nigrum leans more to pepper, and is built on a stronger amber base. Also take a look at Spezie’s review page—on it J_Dubya compares it to L’Autre. Here’s why I’m a hypocrite: I love L’Autre but dislike Piper Nigrum.

What can we do about our likes and dislikes? Not much, I think. Piper Nigrum has remarkably high status on this forum, and L’Autre has amazingly low status. “Body odor” is a recurrent comparison. By our comments on these two scents it looks like they must be remarkably different. But they’re not.

Out of the bottle L’Autre smells like 7up mixed with turmeric. Ingredients of an Indian dinner is another comparison I’ve read a couple of times. But once it is on the body for an hour, L’Autre is very close to Spezie, and to me seems a more daring and aggressive Spezie. L’Autre becomes more so the longer its is on you—the spices getting cleaner, drier, and simply more wonderful. J_Dubya thinks the reverse, but I say L’Autre out spezies Spezie.

L’Autre seems like it would be an extreme scent from comments here, but it is not different from what our noses know and like when compared to several other highly praised potions. It is however, the most unorthodox, the riskiest, the most compelling, and the best of this family.

Best,
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SixCats
    Hi all,

Most here know of my LOVE for UNIQUE/ODD type fragrances.
    Perhaps Zanzibar might fall in this category. At least, I haven't found similar scent on the market, and I love it very much.

For me the two most off-beat are Moustache (Rochas) and Horizon (Guy Laroche).

I also find Xeryus to be off its rocker sometimes. Other times it is a tame fougere.
    K
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]MisterK / Vicomte de K / K[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]

Definately this one - L'Anarchiste by Caron. Wet metal with cloves. In regards to Yatagan, I don't find it that "offbeat". It makes me think of the ancient world. Possibly something that could have been worn during the height of the Roman Empire.
    Last edited by Cipriano; 24th August 2006 at 04:07 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

To my nose I find SL MANDARINE MANDARINE to be a really "Off Beat"and downright Odd Citrus Scent. ... As it is the antithisis of what you would expect from a citrus scent. ... There is no freshness here, with the first opening hours smelling like weeks old rancid B/O. ... So if ya attracted to a sweaty note, I suggest trying this one out. (But it ain't the same as what you get from the cumin. To my nose it smells even worse!).
    It does calm down somewhat towards the drydown, with the candied citrus peel and (jasmin?)or other flowers pretty-ing it up considerably.

Post Thanks / Like

In my opinion, the rich Mouchoir de Monsieur by Guerlain is one of the best elegant scents around- so flawless, uplifting, formal, complex and refined, so much so, as it is almost is slightly off-beat, at least a very different creation that stands out from the whole masculine fragrance world- but maybe it's the drift between perfume generations, since 1904, the year of Mouchoir, is, obviously, different from the trends of the 2000's years...
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 14th March 2009 at 09:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental View Post

Nino Cerruti Pour Homme; there's nothing like it out there.

Thank you for mentioning that one. It is beautiful beyond belief. I stocked up on 4 bottles when I heard it was discontinued; they're safely asleep in a cool, dark, dry place. I would never be without this fragrance.