Code of Conduct

Default Dior's 3 colognes

My sister is going to make a present to me ... and it is of course ...perfume

I think about Dior Eau Noir.
    I only once tried in the shop all three Dior colognes: Eau Noir , Cologne Blanche, Bois D'argent

Eau Noir is very dark oriental, smokey, rather distinctive

But why they are called colognes?
    they don't smell like eau de cologne's

or maybe they are very weak (the concentration of perfume)? But as I remember Eau Noir was rather strong?

I tryed these 3 in London, in Selfridge. Then I went to GAP shop and SA there asked me to smell these 3 paper sticks. And his reaction was - oh, it's weird Really this Dior's line is not for everybody
    Last edited by DreamerII; 19th August 2006 at 10:21 PM.
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Default Re: Dior's 3 colognes

I don't think that they are eau de cologne. Aren't they eau de toilette?

Anyway, be careful with choosing the eau noire. I like it as much as the next guy, but it can be a tough wear. It definitely is an evening only scent, so unless you go out ALL the time, go for something a little more versatile. Plus, it is the sort of scent that I think one wouldn't want to wear too much. So, if you spend the money for a large bottle, you might end up stuck with it forever.

The Cologne Blanche or Bois d'argent are both a little more wearable anytime.

But, of course, it is up to you and dependent on your own personal style. Personally, I like Knize ten instead of Eau Noire. Both have that leathery, smoky essence, but the Knize smells like an Austrian monarch.

John

Quote Originally Posted by rach2jlc
    Anyway, be careful with choosing the eau noire. I like it as much as the next guy, but it can be a tough wear. It definitely is an evening only scent, so unless you go out ALL the time, go for something a little more versatile. Plus, it is the sort of scent that I think one wouldn't want to wear too much. So, if you spend the money for a large bottle, you might end up stuck with it forever.

I couldn't agree more. I ended up swapping away my bottle of Eau Noire. I fell in love with it in Harrods and just had to buy a bottle. After a few wearings and having my shirt collars smelling of curry (the immortelle), I just got bored with it.

Lady friend is hoping I shall opt for Bois d'Argent in the end, and I am a little undecided yet. There is a faint, tempting breath of incense in B d'A, and overall it seems much easier to wear. Within my wardrobe it would be more special to have also.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

I did not care much for cologne blanche - somewhat surprisingly I thought this one was the most cloying and one dimensional of the three. I was simply not comfortable wearing it, could probably suit a women better.

Bois D'Argent - I loved it sniffing it right out of the bottle and right after spraying it on my skin. But after wearing it for a couple of days I just felt strange walking around smelling like honey....there was not much of a development on skin from top to basenotes IMO and I got bored of it quickly.

Eau Noire - my favorite of the three. It is pretty harsh right out of the bottle with all the smokey-lavenderish-incense notes, but dries down just amazingly to something that to me reminds of, well, a not too sweet kind of chocolate mixed with vanilla. This one really makes me feel good whenever I wear it - although I would not wear it everyday. However, my gf absolutely HATES it and thinks it way too strong.... I guess you cannot have it all.

As for strength, they are all labeled "cologne" but I do not think it refers to the strength of the juice e.g., "edc, edt and edp." (I seem to remember this has been discussed previously on this forum regarding C&S No 88 - also labeled cologne). IMHO they all wear close to being "edp" and Eau Noire has the most sillage.

I've tried all three from testers, but can't remember much apart from that Bois D'Argent was the nicest at the time, Cologne Blanche the blandest, and Eau Noire the most extreme (but interesting also).

I wonder, does Bois D'Argent have any similarities with SL Chergui or am I just imagining that? I've only tried both from testers on separate occasions, but the memories seem to have a lot in common, especially the honey aspect, and a sort of soft woodiness.

Not sure I'd like any of the three colognes enough to actually buy one. When I saw them at Selfridges there appeared to be only massive-sized bottles, but I was in a bit of a hurry that day. I think if they did a small one (say 30ml), at a reasonable price, it could be worth experimenting.
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'Hermčs | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews

Bois d'argent is the most popular here in france, and the Dior homme got a tiny little inspiration in that one. Cologne blanche seemd fade compared to the other two, but smelled alone is nice. Eau noire is a sweet lavander, infused in spices and vanilla, very intersting but I don't actually wear it very often. and i have 2 bottles ! The name Cologne doesn't have very much with the concentrations, but with thee meaning: "men classical cologne"
    La Science des Ręves

There is a fine naming difference: only one of them has 'Cologne' in its name - for a reason.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.