Code of Conduct

Unhappy Mortification at the UPS Store

I think I like the world better if everyone doesn't know about perfume... case in point:

I was at the UPS Store this morning to ship some Shalimar to a fellow BN'er. The clerk picked it up, sniffed it, and said, "Shalimar??!! Man, this is old school!" I didn't think anything of it... until...

Thirty seconds later, she's at the back of the clerk area, a good ten feet away from me, and then says, "Who's wearing Lovely?"

At first I was so shocked I thought I wasn't hearing her correctly. Then she repeated it, "Who's wearing that perfume, Lovely?" The well-turned out older lady next to me said, "Not me. I wear Dune." I was too embarrassed to admit it was me. Thankfully the clerk let it drop.

I had always thought of Lovely as barely perceptible, so I apply it more freely than any of my other scents. Today I had on a bit of the lotion and about four spritzes of the fragrance. Is it really a sillage monster, and I just didn't know? Am I anosmic to something in it?
    Last edited by lynnaea; 19th July 2008 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Didn't want no double negatives in my post.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Mortification at the UPS Store

Gracious! Really? The counter person was identifying scents on the wind? And you didn't recruit her for Basenotes?

Lovely is a particularly queer one for me. All I could smell before, during and after application, was lemons, but not a lemony fragrance I cared to wear (as opposed to other lemon scents I'm crazed for). So maybe there's some component of Lovely that some of us can/can't pick up on.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Actually, Quarry, I was careful writing my post because I thought she might already BE a Basenoter!

LOLOL!

Actually, that's really cool.

The interconnectivity of all things...fragrance!

Lovely smells like woody lavender water on me. Funny that the clerk could identify the "old school" by name, huh? Next time you ship something...take her some samples!
    Last edited by Tovah; 19th July 2008 at 08:36 PM.

I don't think Lovely is a sillage monster. I used to own it and I usually spritz a couple of times on the neck and once on each wrist. I've only noticed it on maybe two other people but not as a strong scent at all. Lovely always smells light, pretty and fresh. Maybe she first noticed Lovely when she was standing closer to you but waited before commenting? Perhaps it is in her own scent wardrobe as it is usually easier to recognise a scent that's in your own collection. This happened just last night with Coco Mademoiselle which did smell wonderful but I didn't comment on it.

One spray of Lovely is enough to kill me, actually....

But my favorite is the comment from the other woman--not me, I wear Dune, lol.

You've got to love when that happens, when you find that you share something dear with a stranger in a random encounter!

LOL!

Maybe the lady in case owns and wears Lovely herself? I had a bottle of it, and liked it, but to tell the truth I canīt remember what it smelled like AT ALL, just that I found it very, very soft and light. I would not be able to identify it if I smelled it blind today, I think.

Call me a curmudgeon, but I hate it when people make personal comments like this, because you can't ever tell whether the question casts the fragrance in a positive or negative light. Now, had she said, "Someone is wearing my favorite fragrance, Lovely," instead of using the accusatory "who," you'd have felt free to own up to it.

Worse than this is when people ask, "Who smells like...Do you smell____?" and sniff the air like bloodhounds for the offending molecule, which not infrequently has a sexual or scatalogical association.

LOL!! I'm impressed at her identification prowess and I'm more than a little confused about why you were uncomfortable saying you were wearing Lovely. It sounds like she was trying to show off her knowledge - in a good way!!!

I do have to say, kudos to the lady wearing Dune - I like that one and rarely smell it on anyone.

One of the guys who works in a local post office I frequent also likes frags. Maybe because the postal service is so restrictive regarding perfumes, the workers are now in withdrawal, craving and analyzing any molecule of scent they can access.

seattlelight --

I was uncomfortable because she was so far away. If she'd been standing right across the counter from me, I'd have owned up. But I was shocked and embarrassed to think she could smell it alllll the way over there. I really don't want to be one of those girls who gives people a headache with her perfume.

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    One spray of Lovely is enough to kill me, actually....

But my favorite is the comment from the other woman--not me, I wear Dune, lol.
    Yes!

I think it's great that your postal clerk recognizes fragrances and seems like she wants to engage you in conversation about it. That's so rare in real life, isn't it (it is here where I live). Sometimes I worry about wearing too much fragrance, and I think people are being nice NOT to comment, but I wonder what they are thinking (peeee uuuuuu! lol! ) Anyway, don't assume that the attention is negative. Maybe she is a perfumista. I like the suggestion of bringing her samples next time you visit the post office. That would be a great gesture.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnaea View Post
    seattlelight --

I was uncomfortable because she was so far away. If she'd been standing right across the counter from me, I'd have owned up. But I was shocked and embarrassed to think she could smell it alllll the way over there. I really don't want to be one of those girls who gives people a headache with her perfume.
    Since you worry about this, I think it's highly unlikely that you're "one of those people." "Those" people clearly don't care who they asphyxiate. I'll bet this person happens to be a great fan of Lovely so she's especially sensitive to it. Or maybe she's in process of honing her olfactory skills and wanted to practice. It's quite tacky to shout "Who's wearing ____" to a crowd of people, though! You can't help but wonder what she'd do to you if she hated Lovely (or worse, believed herself to be allergic to it). Would you lose your place in line? *shudders* I think it's so cute that the lady wearing Dune identified herself and her fragrance to you.

Recently I was visiting my parents in Phoenix. It was about 112 degrees outside, and as we were walking across a parking lot towards a restaurant, my stepfather said, "Whew the smell of some flowers is really strong this year. What's blooming now?" and waved his hand in front of his nose.

My 14 years old son grimly said, "That's my mother you smell." Step-father sniffed me and said, "Yup, that's what I smell. Wow, is that strong, or what?"

Since he was about 15 feet away from me when he made his first comment, I was really embarrassed. We were about to eat in a restaurant and all I could picture was people gagging on their food because they could taste my fragrance. My mother, (who was wearing Organza), kept insisting that she, "Couldn't even smell me," which I suspect was an outright lie. (Let me tell you, Organza is not a subtle fragrance in Phoenix heat, either. Maybe she really couldn't smell me, but only because her fragrance overpowered mine.) I was wearing Marc Jacobs edt, with the leg shine and body lotion, which I now understand may have been a bit much. Plus, I think the heat intensified the fragrance. I felt really bad. I truly hope I didn't ruin anyone's meal.
    Last edited by Tovah; 20th July 2008 at 03:13 AM.

I thought you were going to say that had a nose like a bloodhound to ferret out suspicious packages and that she refused to deliver your perfume because it is a HAZARDOUS SUBSTANCE, or that you would have to pay $75 for special handling. I probably would have fainted before it became obvious that her only intent was to identify my fragrance. See how paranoid I am?

Quote Originally Posted by lynnaea View Post
    Actually, Quarry, I was careful writing my post because I thought she might already BE a Basenoter!
    Well, lovelies, if you are in the area and go shopping, I might be your girl behind the counter. And to tell you the truth, I do not often produce an impression that I would know my scents, especially "old school" with a very thick accent of mine and stuff. But, be prepared....

I probably mortified some poor guy in San Diego, at the rental place where we rented a car. I just recently learned what JPG Le Male smelled like, and I was pretty sure he was wearing it. So I asked him. (I'm not shy.) He told me he was wearing John Varvatos or something I can't remember. I said, "Oh."

It was kind of a blow to my idea that I knew what I was smelling. Then at the last minute, he said, "Oh wait, no I'm wearing Le Male today."

I glad he owned up.

He gave us a discount on the rental too.
    Last edited by Aiona; 20th July 2008 at 05:24 AM. Reason: grammar grammar grammar!

I too thought you were going to say that they would not ship your box because you had not declared it had liquid...... In any case,the lady must have a good nose to pick out scents, correctly, from so far away, or it's, as someone else said, one of her faves and thus recognizes it right away.

I think it also happens to a lot of us that once in a while we may overindulge as when I got in the car the other day and my hubby asked me if I had bathed in my perfume that day...