Code of Conduct

Default Are The Best Scents Behind Us?

Think about it, hundreds of years and thousands of fragrances. It's got to be pretty darn hard to make something totally unique and supurb these days. All the major classes of frag have been discovered and exploited. The last great frontier IMHO was the light unisex types that exploded in the 90s and continues. Does anyone see another catagory like that around the bend? Or, are we left with tweaks and variations of a theme?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Are The Best Scents Behind Us?

You know, on the one hand there is nothing new under the sun, on the other, every new day is never exactly like the one before. What I'm trying to say is, I think it works like a spiral, rather than a circle or a straight line, in that you always come back to places you've been before, but on a different level, in a different context. Who knows, maybe the guys in Atlantis were wearing ozone-aquatic kind of scents . rock'n'roll has been declared dead a million times, yet it always comes back in some new outfit. The same handful of notes have produced every different ever new musics and the same applies to perfumes. I'm sure that technology as well as unending human creativity will grace us with scents that now seem unimaginable - and I'm sure 99% will be crappy or quickly forgotten, but that other percentile will be divine ande becmoe part of the tradition.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life
    You know, on the one hand there is nothing new under the sun, on the other, every new day is never exactly like the one before. What I'm trying to say is, I think it works like a spiral, rather than a circle or a straight line, in that you always come back to places you've been before, but on a different level, in a different context. Who knows, maybe the guys in Atlantis were wearing ozone-aquatic kind of scents . rock'n'roll has been declared dead a million times, yet it always comes back in some new outfit. The same handful of notes have produced every different ever new musics and the same applies to perfumes. I'm sure that technology as well as unending human creativity will grace us with scents that now seem unimaginable - and I'm sure 99% will be crappy or quickly forgotten, but that other percentile will be divine ande becmoe part of the tradition.
    VERY well said!!!
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You'll never know until it comes.

There are plenty of classics that have come out years apart. I really don't think that they are out of ideas and more amazing scents will continue to come out. How else did so many houses build up reputations for being amazing if there were already such a long list and great fragrances out there. They made something new and will continue to do that.

I'm sure people thought there wont be anymore great scents to emerge on to the scene many times. We just have to sit back and not expect anything. If great things come than so be it. If not, so be it. It'll happen if it does.

I have to agree with all that has been said. There will always be the long list of OK scents....And there will always be a winner....The winner might be like a needle in a hay stack but they will come. It's just a matter of time.
    Gary

Post Thanks / Like

There are many scents which werent regarded highly when they came out - for example, Orange Spice bombed because it was released when musky scents were all the rage. Years later, it was the inspiration for Kouros and is now regarded as a classic and ahead of its time.
    -

Post Thanks / Like

All very true, and as the general populace's sensibilities and tastes evolve the possibilities in fragrance composition will open up. Most "average guys" don't want mens fragrances that are really floral, but if something happened and the market opened up to that, like Justin Timberlake revealed he likes to wear women's perfumes, then we would face a new fragrance trend.
    New technologies allow the industry to recreate scents that were impossible before, and new notes lead to new fragrances, and every new fragrance is someone's holy grail.

And even ignoring everything everything else, Personally I may have smelled 1% of whats available, so until you've smelled 75% of whats on the market(and not) to say that there is nothing left to create is just blowing smoke.
    Can anyone remember love? It's like trying to summon up the smell of roses in a cellar. You might see a rose, but never the perfume.
    -Arthur Miller

5 years from now they may extract oils from Algaes in the sea or maybe from an exotic grass in the rainforest that as of right now is unknownst.

There are an unlimited number of possibilities. The biggest problem facing the industry is that their are too many designers that are content to use the same notes and simply experiment with the concentration.

There are few perfumers really left and even fewer that are actually dedicating time and resources exploring the vast variety of scents that exist.

Cool Re: Are The Best Scents Behind Us?

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give - W. Churchill

As an answer to this question I would say NOT REALLY.

I think what'S currently being exploited are so called "ambiental" scents. Those that create an atmosphere, like feeling of hot/cold/sunny etc. IMO it is possible to do so using chemical ingredients only and those take time to develop. CdG, I hate perfume, Demeter etc.
    just to mention few notes
    baking cookies, pumpkin pie, summer meadow, brownies, hot mocha, driveway, nail polish...

Another field that is only partly exploited is the clean scents (this time without cucumber or ozone) shower fresh and laundry fresh are yet to be ímproved (basically there isn't a citrus scent that lasts long, maybe some chemical would do, and so on...

perfectscent
    Last edited by perfectscent; 21st August 2006 at 07:32 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

i think there might soon be a explosion in the arabic attar niche market that will create some amazing pieces, followed of course by big commercialization that will birth a bunch of ozonic citrus ouds haha

Post Thanks / Like

Improvement improvement improvement. I believe in modernism. We live in wonderful and rich scent times right now. Things can and always will get better. Or we'll only need to work harder to find the better.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by czesc
    i think there might soon be a explosion in the arabic attar niche market that will create some amazing pieces, followed of course by big commercialization that will birth a bunch of ozonic citrus ouds haha
    Nice thought that, more endangered flora being over-exploited. The deal is that many of that attars are used for cultural purposes, not just western getting and spending habits. But sure, we can see an explosion of that market and watch the last remaining Aloeswood and Sandalwood trees go buh-bye. Funny how many people I've met who would balk or protest loudly at wearing fur, are more then willing to slather themselves with sandal and oud.

My hope is for more lovely molecules that better mimic those substances.
    We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give - W. Churchill

No, they are not.

And the fact that modern miracles like Terre D'Hermes continue to appear is why I'm not giving up hope.