Code of Conduct

Thread: Signature Scent

Default Signature Scent

Every once in awhile a thread pops up declaring someone has just found their signature scent, or "holy grail". Sometimes I wonder, how many of us are looking, actually, honestly, looking for a signature scent. I used to tell myself I was, that the reason for all the sampling was to find something that I could be happy wearing everyday.

But that turned into: everyday in the summer and everyday in the winter, then I had to through in spring and summer, then day and evening, then date/romantic, then clubbing, then formal, etc etc. As more piled up I needed to find more reasons to justify purchasing(and future purchasing).

All the while I promised myself that I really was looking for a signature scent, and that when I found it I could stop. But, how can I stop, if I find a signature scent how will I know there isn't anything better out there, what would I do with the bottles I already have. Or worse, what if I found my signature scent, I just haven't been able to realize it.

I have to wonder, was it ever about a signature scent, and if it was, and still is, how far am I willing to go to find it, and if I do, will I care.
    Can anyone remember love? It's like trying to summon up the smell of roses in a cellar. You might see a rose, but never the perfume.
    -Arthur Miller

Thrax

Default Re: Signature Scent

If I happened to get ahold of the best smelling stuff out there, I would still buy more. Ya know why, "there's always a bigger fish."

It's the thrill of the chase! If there were some hidden perfect scent out there, someone here would have found it and told everyone.

Telling a basenoter to find a signature is like telling a philosopher to figure out the meaning of life. It just won't happen.

I have to say that I think I was very lucky in regard to finding "the" scent for me. I found it during my first concerted frag hunt. I had worn no fragrance at all until I was 19 or 20. I had a female friend who loved perfume and introduced me to the womens fragrances that she liked. In retrospect, I have concluded that she had good taste. Only after talking with her about perfume did I start thinking about wearing cologne. So, one day, I set out to the mall to see if I could find something I liked.
    It was at the first store I visited that, after smelling about two dozen frags that didn't appeal at all, I found my sig. As soon as I smelled it I knew it was for me. I have said this before and I will say it again, it was revelatory. It was almost like it said "I am you" as soon as it hit my nose. It was totally different from all of the others I had smelled and, because it was summer and this frag is definitely for summer, it was a nick.
    The topper is, the first night that I wore it, I went out for dinner with a group of friends and my female friend with the good taste in perfume was in the group. When we hugged to greet one another she exclaimed "OMG, WHAT are you wearing ?". She couldn't stop smelling my neck the whole night. For me it was quite the affirmation that my instincts were spot on. I've been wearing it for 20 years and I get frequent comps. Alas, it's not very potent on my skin

It's Halston 1-12

I would say that if a frag doesn't grab you as soon as you spray it on, it probably isn't "graille" material. But I know there have been exceptions to this.

Quote Originally Posted by Eau_Boy
    I would say that if a frag doesn't grab you as soon as you spray it on, it probably isn't "graille" material. But I know there have been exceptions to this.
    I believe this holds true. But first acquaintances can also result in an initial shock, an emotional kick you like to repat at least once.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

I've had 2 signature scents since I first started wearing fragrance, the first one was when I was 18; I headed out to the mall with a buddy(who ended up buying AdG) and spent more than an hour at the fragrance counter, I smelled everything. There was a lot that I liked and a lot that I didn't, then I smelled Emporio. I bought it on the spot. I wore it exclusively for about 3 years, I wasn't an everyday wear kind of guy, probably a little better than half the time, so it lasted and I still have a little left.
    My next signature was something I bought at the same fragrance counter, again I smelled everything, and was going to buy Fahrenheit, which I will do someday, then I smelled Azzaro Visit and bought it on the spot. I wore it fairly exclusively with an occasional wearing of emporio for 2 years until may really, when I got into fragrance seriously
    Can anyone remember love? It's like trying to summon up the smell of roses in a cellar. You might see a rose, but never the perfume.
    -Arthur Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Eau_Boy
    That's not how I work at all. I often have to try a fragrance three or more times before it gets me hooked. And those fragrances tend to be the ones I don't grow tired of, the ones that don't reveal all their secrets at once.

Great post John...

I used to have a signature scent several years ago, but it got discontinued . I believe I will find eventually another "holy grail" (I really wish it) but I seriously think I would keep my collection anyways just for the pleasure of enjoying my smelly treasures from time to time...
    « L'odeur de rose, faible, grâce au vent léger d'été qui passe, se mêle aux parfums qu'elle a mis.»
    [ Paul Verlaine ]
    Wardrobe

I've definitely given up on the signature scent idea, at least in the sense of finding a single holy grail fragrance. I've found too many different scents that I like and my top favorites tend to rotate based on weather, mood, occasion, how much I've been wearing them, etc.

Every so often I feel the need to remind myself to wear my favorites more often. I tend to neglect them out of an impulse to 'save' them for 'special' occasions, as well as the compulsion to seek out the new. It can be refreshing to just focus on enjoying what I have and know I like.

--Steve
    Just because it happened to you doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

My sales thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/304...85#post2614885

Wanted: YSL Nu EdP

Quote Originally Posted by SmellsLike
    I've definitely given up on the signature scent idea, at least in the sense of finding a single holy grail fragrance. I've found too many different scents that I like and my top favorites tend to rotate based on weather, mood, occasion, how much I've been wearing them, etc.

Every so often I feel the need to remind myself to wear my favorites more often. I tend to neglect them out of an impulse to 'save' them for 'special' occasions, as well as the compulsion to seek out the new. It can be refreshing to just focus on enjoying what I have and know I like.

--Steve
    Great post, Steve! Took the words right out of my mouth! I have placed a moratorium on new scent purchases in the past several months, and I think I can keep it up for at least another six months. I'm having fun keeping myself busy with the 150+ scents I already have. What is a special treat, though, is becoming familiar with those in my collection that have been seldom worn, and thinking "Wow! This could be my signature scent (if I were looking for one)!" Only recently I started paying a little closer attention to Spazio Krizia Uomo, and I am frankly blown away by this scent! Still, my true signature scent is akin to a roulette wheel; whatever I happen to be wearing that day.

Jeff

Hi all,

I do believe that in 2006 the fragrances choice is becoming very important so important that a lot of those new scents will be discontinued in a few years time - but also the buying power is greater than ever.

Most of the time new scents are no breakthrough but a variance of a style.

Personaly when I think of signature scent it means rich - oriental - heady scents - and probably the most dated ones - but for sure a strong statement to yourself and arround you.

I think the idea of a signature scent is old fashion and it is a shame because I do like the idea of continuity.

Dont forget that most guy or girl out there do have only one glass bottle in their bathroom - 50 percent of chance that they will buy the same bottle !!

I think to wear that special scent for a while or for good is the norm and its a good feeling especialy for those out of Mall boutiques where there is still a sens of customer care and customer service.

Laurent
    Invisible Power

Blog Entries

To me, signature & holy grail scents are two different things. A signature scent is what others associate with you, and a holy grail scent is what you associate with yourself, if that makes sense.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia