Code of Conduct

Default Bring out the amber!

Alright, it is time to add an amber to my collection. I'm fairly lost here, mostly because I've only tried two: L'Artisan - L'Eau d'Ambre and Maître et Parfumeur Gantier - Ambre Préciéux. I think I prefer MPG over the L'Artisan, but it really is a close call to me. It seems slightly more complex and also more spicy. It feels a bit more "alive" and not as stuffy as the L'Artisan. Still I don't think I'd mind to own L'Eau d'Ambre. This kind of fragrance scares me a little bit and I might have to ease into it...

I haven't really looked around for others, but here are few I've encountered. Let me know if one or more of them are must tries or if I have forgotten som hidden gem. Or just simply give me opinions on the two I've smelled.

L'Artisan - Ambre Extrême
    Etro - Ambra
    Santa Maria Novella - Ambra
    Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    Montale - Aoud Ambre
    L'Occitane - Ambre
    Hermès - Hermèssence Ambre Narguilé
    Georgio Armani - Privé Ambre Soie
    Creed - Ambre Canelle (don't think I've ever seen this one here before, just found it in the directory today).

Bring out the amber!
    Last edited by shifts; 22nd August 2006 at 10:55 AM.

Overcome By Fumes

Default Re: Bring out the amber!

To me the leaders are the MPG, SL, and Etro. Each has a unique enough take on the amber theme that I want all three. The others don't bring enough extra to the table.

Haven't tried the MPG I'm afraid. I do enjoy L'Eau d'Ambre. To me it's light and airy with a whiff of burnt sugar in the base.

Etro's Ambra is a really nice, but I think I'll save up for Ambre Sultan instead, which certainly packs a punch. Since my skin tends to pick up the sweeter notes in fragrances, AS is perfect for me. It's dry and herbal in the top. I get lots of oregano. And it lasts. It was the first Luten's I smelled back in 1993 or so and I always wanted a bottle, but somehow I never did get to it.

I find Ambre Extreme sweeter than the Etro and definitely sweeter than AS. It's great, but not for me. The only L'Occitan I have smelled was called Ambre Musqué, but I don't think they make that anymore.

summer means fireflys

I love the three that Docluv mentioned. To me, Etro Ambra is for when you want your amber soft and whisper-y. Ambre Sultan is for when you want it to kick some ass. Ambre Préciéux sort of walks both lines ...
    I've trademarked the color bleu

I've got several of these, and I want a fourth. For me my favorite is L'Artisan's Eau d'Ambre. As Concord says, light and airy. A bit of floral. It wears very easily and casually. It doesn't punch out. It doesn't threaten to take any fellow student's lunch money.

Ambre Extreme and Ambre Precieux are nice, the latter being incredibly luxurious, but for simplicity and balance rather than wearing too much gold Eau d'Ambre is a best choice. I go for Ambre Canelle too, but it's not a straight up amber which it seems you're most after. Ambre Sultan I've smelled but it's not my thing. Already too much an amber bully when you first smell it. And smell it from the bottle and you pretty much get the idea. Eau d'Ambre reveals itself with mystery and graceful caution instead of boxing gloves.
    --Chris.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I did my own run at these earlier this year and still haven't bought one.

I tried four:
    L'Artisan Ambre Extreme
    MPG - Ambre Precieux
    SL - Amber Sultan
    Hermes - Amber Narguile

The Hermes was the first one I encountered. At first I really liked it, once I got a sample vial (big one too!) and tested it a bit, the more it reminded me of gingerbread cookies. I like it, but I don't think I can wear it.

The MPG I found to be overly sweet and feminine.

L'Artisan Ambre Extreme is a pure Amber play and is nice. I think I want something with more depth/variety to it.

SL Amber Sultan - This one I like and is the closest to a buy of the batch for me. It is not overly sweet and has a smoke/incense note.

Haven't tried those others, but I might have another sample run to go now that I have your list..

The one that I love to smell in others is:

L'OCCITANE Eau de Toilette Ambre
    « L'odeur de rose, faible, grâce au vent léger d'été qui passe, se mêle aux parfums qu'elle a mis.»
    [ Paul Verlaine ]
    Wardrobe

Serpent

With your being a Comme des Garçons fan, I'm surprised Series 4: Cologne's Ambra isn't there...

I'm also saving up for a bottle of SL's Ambre Sultan. I originally wrote it off several times because at first spray, it's kinda scary. Very strong and very much "amber overload". But recently, I was going through my sample vials and decided to use it again ... this time to work. The drydown of this is simply magnificent ... on me, that is. I'm not saying this will work for everyone ... but within the last week or so, it's shot straight up into my top 5.

Don't be put off by the first half hour or so of Ambre Sultan. The drydown is well worth the wait.
    Last edited by ziffy321; 22nd August 2006 at 02:37 PM.

Ambre Sultan.

Serpent

Rooms should smell like Ambre Sultan, but not people.

MMMMMMMMMMM Amber. One of my favorite smells especially when you're looking for something comforting and cozy with a lil sex thrown in. My pick is ambre extreme.
    Eau de ambre is a bit lightwieght to me especially as the weather turns. Sultan is nice but there is something very earthy and solid about it to me. I like an amber to envelope rather than sit.
    Ambre narguile is heavenly but needs moderation because of the cookie overload possibilities. Also the price tag is yikes.
    Ambre extreme goes on very rich at first, almost like a spicy creme brulee. It mellows out though to a warm golden cloud. Covering you in a cozy warmth without being too dense or heavy. Could be cloying but somehow avoids it without losing the comfort quality.
    The armani prive is not worth your time and the creed is more of a lightly spiced ginger snap than an amber.
    enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by Serpent
    With your being a Comme des Garçons fan, I'm surprised Series 4: Cologne's Ambra isn't there...
    Uhm yeah, I know. I think I forgot it actually. The only one from Series 4 I've thought about purchasing has been Vettiveru. So thanks for the heads up. Series 4 can usually be found at very good prices actually, but when I come to think about it I haven't seen Anbar around lately (but saw now that Luckyscent still has it).

Thank you everyone who has given me their opinion so far. Actually, I'm not much wiser yet, but since I do like both MPG and L'Artisan it might very well start with one of those. I think will will sample some of the rest you mentioned just in case I want to dwell deeper into the amber kingdom.

My favorite amber: L'Artisan Ambre Extreme.
    Current faves: CdG White, Amouage Dia, Millesime Imperial, Miller Harris Terre de Bois

Do ensure you add 'Scent Intense' by Costume National to your list.

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26122299.html

Good luck

Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by shifts
    I haven't seen Anbar around lately
    Oh, Anbar. Getting my Etro and Comme des Garçons confused. By the way, is this series still in production? I'm surprised that, if Series 1 got the chop, this one and Series 5: Sherbet hasn't been cut, too.

As for Ambre Sultan, it really is Benzoin Sultan. The Etro is fantastic, though. Too bad its longevity is so poor.

Quote Originally Posted by Serpent
    Rooms should smell like Ambre Sultan, but not people.
    Rooms and people. It smells like the old piano from my grandmothers house, and like burnt sugar. I love it. But I don´t wear it that often.

L´Eau d´Ambre is the only other one I have tried. That was - I think - my first sniff of a fragrance built around amber (or at least with amber in its name). Not being used to this smell in such concentration I was disgusted...I bet I would think differently now.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by docluv45
    To me the leaders are the MPG, SL, and Etro...

Ditto. I enjoy Ambre Extreme and L'Occitane Ambre as well. I would also suggest Parfum d'Empire Ambre Russe, amber on the dry side, with incense and tea, spices and a boozy note.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain