Code of Conduct

Default Yet Another "OMG Kouros Smells Just Like..." Thread!

No, it does NOT smell like piss.
    No, it does NOT smell exactly like a pink urinal cake (though it's almost close).

So Kouros has been on my "to get" list for quite some time after a few wrist-samplings, but there's no decent department stores within about 200 miles of here (unless you want Acqua di Gio or the other "mainstream" scents), and I really didn't feel like ordering online (my credit card can't take much more strain, and my bank takes forever to debit my account when I use my debit card, and it screws things up). In another recent thread about Kouros, another member reminded me that they carry it at Target! Doh! There's a Target about 3/4ths of a mile from my house! I remember seeing the Kouros there months ago, before my fragrance addiction really took off. So I went there to pick it up the first thing the next day- not bad at $28 for a 1.7oz bottle, about the same as ordering online and paying shipping. Of course, I open it up right as I get to my car, and put on my first full-body Kouros application.

Man this stuff is rich! Just as I remember it from my samplings, but a bit sweeter and a bit darker. Soon, though, I developed a familiar taste in my mouth. For all my life, I've never been able to make much of a distinction between taste and smell, and whenever I smell something with food in my mouth, that food will "taste" like whatever I'm smelling (with perhaps sweet, sour, salty, bitter, or umami modifications). So now this sugary jawbreaker in my mouth tastes like- Sen-Sen!

For those who never had them, Sen-Sen are these little tiny black squares that are used as breath fresheners. The taste is loosly reminiscent of anise or licorice, and are absolutely wonderful and quite potent considering how tiny they are. I haven't had one in years, but Kouros brought the taste right back to my mouth! The only place that sold Sen Sen was this little Asian market in town, but it went belly-up a few years back (Sen-Sen is completely and American confection, though its name roughly translates as "glistening" in Japanese). I've been dying for a pack for years, but no luck. Now I want them even more!

Well, after a few hours Kouros becomes a bit sweeter, and I can really smell the "honey" that many people describe. Also, this in one of the few fragrances where a female co-worker will make the other ladies come over to smell me (they usually make their rounds on their own). Nobody thought it smelt even remotely like piss, by the way.

So again, YSL blows me away. How is it that they seem to put out fragrances that are an order of magnitude better than most other department store fragrances? Maybe it's just too good for the general public, and that explains their recent financial woes...

Default Re: Yet Another "OMG Kouros Smells Just Like..." Thread!

P.S. - One of the girls at work said that I smelled like Nag Champa before you burn it, and I went to the back of the store where we sell it, and in fact, it does smell a lot like Nag Champa- but quite a bit more complex.

Another interesting take on this controversial fragrance.

I'd always considered it to be most similar to Heritage.

Explorator Dumpsterorum

Quote Originally Posted by Stuffman
    ...For those who never had them, Sen-Sen are these little tiny black squares that are used as breath fresheners. The taste is loosly reminiscent of anise or licorice, and are absolutely wonderful and quite potent considering how tiny they are. I haven't had one in years, but Kouros brought the taste right back to my mouth! The only place that sold Sen Sen was this little Asian market in town, but it went belly-up a few years back (Sen-Sen is completely and American confection, though its name roughly translates as "glistening" in Japanese). I've been dying for a pack for years, but no luck. Now I want them even more!...
    I buy Sen-Sen at the good ol' Vermont Country Store... ($10.95US for a twelve-pak!)

...Oh and Kouros GOOD! I have spoken!

I went and sample Kouros again hoping I wouldn't get the piss note.

And I didn't. It actually reminded me of black licorice.

However I never liked black licorice so I passed.