Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Angry Addicted to buying perfumes

hey..am new here...accidentally found this site on the web.....have just gone crazy buying perfumes on ebay...ve spent bout 600AUD in the last 2 months...am just unable to stop...read so much here....the wish list is just increasing evday...how to curb this...maybe buy decants here? dont think there r lots of active trades happenin in AUS...
    i dont even know anything about the classification of perfumes...but i like Jazz, Live Jazz, Eternity, Paris Hilton, CK one, Rive Gauche, Ysl pour homme, Essenza di Zegna, ADG, Ferrari Black and i have all of these...the ones that i DISLIKE and i HAPPEN TO OWN are...Joop, envy, Eau by paco rabanne, XS,Zanzibar, Society ...
    Why dont these perfumes last? They just disappear...its so frustrating...u spend so much...for something that just vanishes in thin air in no time...only jazz,live jazz, eternity and rive gauche hold...rest all just vanish...but after takin clues from threads here..i realized perfumes by jacques bogart hold on well...so i am gunning for them now...
    cant find sellers on ebay here..so theyd fly in from da US...also looking at oscar pour lui, dunhill fresh, azzaro pour homme, chanel platinum egoiste, herrera for men, chic, halston unbound,m7,polo black...the list just goes on and on....i feel like owning ev perfume that exists in the world...is there a doc to fix this disease?...HELP
    Last edited by gupts; 22nd August 2006 at 01:14 PM.

Default Re: Addicted to buying perfumes

Take a look at Ernie Gallos Fragrance Abuse Clinic (you might not have spotted the subboard here as it is buried in the main community page):

http://community.basenotes.net/forumdisplay.php?f=12

As a short term measure, some people stop going onto Basenotes so often. I put a hiaatus on spending on fragrances for several months and that helped tame things down. I'd also suggest selling/trading off the fragrances you genuinely don't enjoy.
    K
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]MisterK / Vicomte de K / K[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]

LOL

Welcome to the board, gupts !

There's no cure for that, I'm afraid.
    « L'odeur de rose, faible, grâce au vent léger d'été qui passe, se mêle aux parfums qu'elle a mis.»
    [ Paul Verlaine ]
    Wardrobe

Post Thanks / Like

Well you've come to the right place I guess.

The main problems with habitual perfume buying are: expense and storage space. I'm not sure there is any good treatment for addiction other than bankruptcy, and that's not even really a permanent solution.

The important thing to me is that I hope it's getting used. There's nothing worse than perfume going to waste on a shelf (if you've got anything you don't want, just send it to me, I'll make sure it get's used up quickly )
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'Hermès | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews

Cool Re: Addicted to buying perfumes

My last purchase bvlgari omnia last May 2006 - i vowed not to purchase till december but just this week i found myself on a binge again on ebay. bought 4 perfumes(KL- lagerfeld- JPG Classique-Oxygene Lanvin- Kenzo Summer )- damn! But this addiction really makes me happy. They take my mind off stress things like my stinking job.Besides they where on half the price so I still saved some dough. Plus I've also managed to let go of fragrances that i don't really love. Learned to sell as well in ebay and not just buy forever. So i guess that's fair enough right?
    "Where should one use perfume?" a young woman asked. "Wherever one wants to be kissed," I said. - Coco Chanel

Post Thanks / Like

I`m sure there must be a cure (I`m an addict, too). Only problem is that you (we) probably have to spend terrifying many hours talking to a shrink about what lies behind this addiction, and that will most likely cost us even more money, plus if the cure doesn`t work, we can`t do any reclamations...
    A true dilemma, maybe a way would be to start buying things that are much more less expensive than frags, for example....................tea bags

Quote Originally Posted by musse
    I`m sure there must be a cure (I`m an addict, too). Only problem is that you (we) probably have to spend terrifying many hours talking to a shrink about what lies behind this addiction, and that will most likely cost us even more money, plus if the cure doesn`t work, we can`t do any reclamations...
    A true dilemma, maybe a way would be to start buying things that are much more less expensive than frags, for example....................tea bags
    LOL...I actually have been stock piling tea for years! I was thinking the other day, as I opened the cabinet and boxes of tea fell on my head, I need to join a tea forum! It is a sickness, I can't stop! I love tea and perfume and I have plenty of both should there be an end to civilization.

Quote Originally Posted by tinker424
    LOL...I actually have been stock piling tea for years!
    Oi, not you too! I'm not as bad with tea as frag, but I think one day my wife might accidentally try some of my lapsang souchong, think it is tea that has gone bad and throw it out.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]

Post Thanks / Like

I think talking to someone, or a forum such as this one, can take some of the wind out of the sails of an addiction to spending.

Post Thanks / Like

i dont know but i think this forum has aggravated the problem...earlier id just buy something flowery and something thats just popular..but now ive heard of creed, hanae mori and luten etc etc etc...and now i wan2 buy the rolce roye and the bentleys of the perfume world..
    Last edited by gupts; 24th August 2006 at 06:13 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

What I meant to say was if you talk about your concern with spending in the Fragrance Abuse Clinic area it may be helpful. I have had problems with spending too much on fragrance. I find that talking about that problem is helpful. One place I can talk about it is in this area of Basenotes - Ernie Gallo's Fragrance Abuse Clinic. I'm sorry if I am not explaining what I mean very well.

I don't think I'm as addicted to the "buying of fragrances" per se as I am of the "OMG I HAVE A PACKAGE IN THE MAIL".

Its that whole "Christmas Morning Syndrome" that I get off on.

Just so happens that these boxes smell really freakin good.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DrBubba
    I don't think I'm as addicted to the "buying of fragrances" per se as I am of the "OMG I HAVE A PACKAGE IN THE MAIL".

Its that whole "Christmas Morning Syndrome" that I get off on.

Just so happens that these boxes smell really freakin good.
    haha! EXACTLY! *waiting on my caron en avion right now* IT BETTER COME TOMMOROW :P

I've found that trading can be a better way of getting frags route than buying (even if you do still buy it can slow things down a bit). There usually is something in the collection you can swap away. Whether someone wants to bite is a different story.

I tend to have more of an addiction on the "buying/trading blind" side of things; I guess it is a little like riding the double black diamond than the bunny trail of testing things out.

To stop the hemmoraging of cash though, I really do not delve into niche... although they are a lot easier to trade, I just don't find them worth the "oooh la la" they tend to get on the boards generally. I tend to stick to designers/mass markets. They can be just as well made as the more expensive niche and believe it or not sometimes just as impossible to find/test, except for the really popular designer names... When have you seen a tester for Old Spice?
    K

Quote Originally Posted by czesc
    haha! EXACTLY! *waiting on my caron en avion right now* IT BETTER COME TOMMOROW :P

Yeah...I'm waiting on my L'Anarchiste, too. ::cough cough::

Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who's addicted to buying perfumes and anxiously awaits for them to arrive in the mail. My problem is that my "Must Have" list is so long and the perfumes I want are in part exclusive and niche and some are staples I always have to have in my wardrobe, that I just can't help myself.

Post Thanks / Like

How much do people you know spend on expensive vacations every year? Just trying to put things in perspective, of course, if you spend too much on money or time anything, that blows the fun factor. I do like some inexpensive fragrances too and Bath and Body Works has come out with some really nice new ones for $18.50 (buy three get the fourth free) that rival some niche lines I've sampled for a whole lot more. I'm no snob, if it works for me, who cares if it impresses someone else? I guess I'm lucky that some of the more expensive niche lines use ingredients, chemicals or synthetics that make me ill. After trying so many of them, I am not tempted to purchase full bottles, so that helps some, but buying hundreds of samples can add up! Even some new ones by Chanel and Dior can affect me that way, Pure Poison, appropriately named.
    Last edited by beachroses; 14th September 2006 at 06:18 PM.

at least i don't do illegal drugs or and i quit smoking too for this hobby!
    "Where should one use perfume?" a young woman asked. "Wherever one wants to be kissed," I said. - Coco Chanel

Post Thanks / Like

Why should we feel guilty for having a hobby or passion like this? Would we feel that way if we collected pottery? Or toy trains? Or whatever? Really, I do know people who actually contribute to that feeling, like it's a worthless waste of time and indulgence, yet they do the same in other ways. I ignore them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by beachroses
    Why should we feel guilty for having a hobby or passion like this? Would we feel that way if we collected pottery? Or toy trains? Or whatever? Really, I do know people who actually contribute to that feeling, like it's a worthless waste of time and indulgence, yet they do the same in other ways. I ignore them.
    I guess what you are saying is absolutely right. Dont we all have a liking for something in particular and we go beyond the normal boundaries to pursue it. If in our case its the perfumes, whats wrong in it? I think that if one is splurging on any NEWLY ACQUIRED hobby, thats the time one feels a little concerned for going overboard. However in the long run it would be pretty much satisfying for us. You are right. Indulgence is not bad. We are just pampering ourselves with something that we like and that gives us happiness.

gupts

Quote Originally Posted by beachroses
    How much do people you know spend on expensive vacations every year? Just trying to put things in perspective, of course, if you spend too much on money or time anything, that blows the fun factor. I do like some inexpensive fragrances too and Bath and Body Works has come out with some really nice new ones for $18.50 (buy three get the fourth free) that rival some niche lines I've sampled for a whole lot more. I'm no snob, if it works for me, who cares if it impresses someone else? I guess I'm lucky that some of the more expensive niche lines use ingredients, chemicals or synthetics that make me ill. After trying so many of them, I am not tempted to purchase full bottles, so that helps some, but buying hundreds of samples can add up! Even some new ones by Chanel and Dior can affect me that way, Pure Poison, appropriately named.
    you are so right!
    just one vacation i had doesn't even measure up to my frag spending, but i do like a nice room with a view and plenty of luxuries...

in your honor i will go out and buy more perfumes tomorrow! :wave:

Post Thanks / Like

LOL!

>>i do like a nice room with a view and plenty of luxuries...<<

Who doesn't?

Smile Re: Addicted to buying perfumes

The same happens to me, I can't be loyal to just one fragrance. I'm still looking for "Mr Right" but it never seems to cross my path...

Post Thanks / Like

I know just how you feel. On a personal note, I'm getting better and have bought only one fragrance in the past two weeks. They were on backorder though. ARgh.
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

A Site For Sore Eyes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Wink Re: Addicted to buying perfumes

My God. Yes yes yes 'Guilty as charged, your honor'. It all started so many years with collecting coins and stamps for me, progressed through books and magazines, wines, teas and now...cologne.

Oh well, at least I think I am amassing wonderful juice and no plonk thanks to this site. And I have to say I am enjoying the journey.
    Deep in the dark your kiss will thrill me
    Like days of old. Lighting the spark of love that fills me
    with dreams untold..--Twilight Time

He who will not economize will have to agonize.
    Confucius

So I buy a cologne a month, try to anyway

Quote Originally Posted by afraafra View Post
    He who will not economize will have to agonize.
    Confucius
    I have to ask, did it rhyme in the original Chinese?

Dependent

Post Thanks / Like

I must have a new bottle a week. Thats the least. Be it a new frag or backup. Ive bought 15 bottles at least in the last 2 months

Dependent

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Advocate View Post
    I have to ask, did it rhyme in the original Chinese?
    Im of Chinese decent, i think His dreamy ideals were quite inspiring to say the least, tho im hardly a researcher, only some basic learnings, and btw the original text in Mandarin did not rhyme at all

Post Thanks / Like

I may have gone over the deep end, for me, and just need to vent.

In the last week or so I've purchased around 25 decant samples, 4 bottles, and 3 skin products (that I really don't need). You know why? Discounts/sales at my favorite online retailers. For a level headed guy, you'd think I wouldn't be drawn in by 20% off, but for whatever reason I have to order when I see these sales.

I feel better having admitted this.

Thanks.

Dependent

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    I may have gone over the deep end, for me, and just need to vent.

In the last week or so I've purchased around 25 decant samples, 4 bottles, and 3 skin products (that I really don't need). You know why? Discounts/sales at my favorite online retailers. For a level headed guy, you'd think I wouldn't be drawn in by 20% off, but for whatever reason I have to order when I see these sales.

I feel better having admitted this.

Thanks.
    People like Ben make my indulgence justifiable. and a whole lot less guilt inducing
    though its depressing once i log off from BN and start to flip thru the purchase receipts
    Last edited by MFJ; 1st August 2008 at 10:17 PM.

I know the feeling!
    However; since I became addicted to perfume and perfumebuying, I've noticed that I spend less on other things, especially clothes.
    And since we are talking about travelling: isn't fragrances a great way to travel in your mind? You can go to the deserts of Marocco, smell the air of Capri and linger in Venezia anytime you want! I know it doesn't beat the real thing, but it's nice to dream a little while your wallet gently weeps.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    People like Ben make my indulgence justifiable. and a whole lot less guilt inducing
    though its depressing once i log off from BN and start to flip thru the purchase receipts
    glad i can help!

i've actually been thinking that perhaps getting all these samples will help... part of what drives my purchasing is the unending interest in trying new things. 25 samples will take me a while to get to know.....BUT, will I then end up wanting to purchase a bunch of the full bottles I just sampled? That would be bad since I ordered all niche and boutique exclusives.

Red face Re: Addicted to buying perfumes

Welcome!! Sit and spritz and sniff....My Fragrance Abuse Clinic is alive and well....and there's plenty of room for you!
    Unfortunately, there is no cure...only a temporary pause in buying sprees. I've downsized, then upsized! and then found that I was only fooling myself. It is a passion...an addiction, and a liquid emotion!
    Basenotes has allowed us to congregate and educate one another, but the excuses for buying more and more can only be relinquished by you.
    I have my good months when I believe I've found the "holy grail" of scents and will not buy anymore. Then there are the bad months when a new aroma and fragrance launch sets me on fire, and the charge cards go into a tail spin!
    My advice is to buy and trade samples first, if you can get them, and then go for the full size.
    I have drawers and boxes full of everything. I give them as gifts and I always replenish with new.
    Currently, I have my "stock in Mark Birley, Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta, Red for Men, Courvoisier Imperiale, and Dolce &Gabbana's The One.
    It's been a few months that I've been "good"...but I feel the urge to purge and find a new.
    You're not alone...don't go bankrupt or hungry....relax...take a deep breath...and spritz
    There are far worse addictions...and you'll always have a room reserved in my Clinic
    You guys are great! Keep posting and keep the Scents Alive!!!
    Peace! and Scent-cerity...

Ernie Gallo

Dependent

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    glad i can help!

i've actually been thinking that perhaps getting all these samples will help... part of what drives my purchasing is the unending interest in trying new things. 25 samples will take me a while to get to know.....BUT, will I then end up wanting to purchase a bunch of the full bottles I just sampled? That would be bad since I ordered all niche and boutique exclusives.

dont u get this feeling like ure detached from everything else and the only thing that comes to mind after a purchase is to plan on what to get next. "trying new things" sound very suspicious.... its almost bordering a lousy excuse to feed the obsessive frag-buying habit lol...... anyways, i can always find comfort in you. thanks! :P

Dependent

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vialman View Post
    will not buy anymore.
    the only phrase that doesnt make sense from your other-wise brilliant frag buying philosophy

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oh I know this feeling alright! Before I stumbled upon Basenotes I had around 30 scents. That was around 8 years ago. I now have over 700. The most I have had coming at once is 32! lol. I have special cabinets now to keep them cool and dark. I must admit I couldnt cope with just 30 now. I get withdrawals when I'm holiday and have just 10 or so. Suppose its time for another clear out!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm clearing out a bunch right now. I just don't wear the really good ones often enough. I find myself continually test driving scents I just bought. I'm spending way too much money and not enjoying my favorites enough. I buy scents and then sell them without even wearing them! That ain't right!

I am trying to get down to between 20 to 30 scents from a recent high of 45. I'm pretty close right now. If that doesn't work, my goal will be 20. I can't see being satisfied with less than 20. But then I've got to stop with the new ones, especially from Marshall's and TJ Maxx! I'm buying crap just because it's on sale.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CoL View Post
    Oh I know this feeling alright! Before I stumbled upon Basenotes I had around 30 scents. That was around 8 years ago. I now have over 700. The most I have had coming at once is 32! lol. I have special cabinets now to keep them cool and dark. I must admit I couldnt cope with just 30 now. I get withdrawals when I'm holiday and have just 10 or so. Suppose its time for another clear out!
    Make sure to send your for-sale list's to me first

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    I am trying to get down to between 20 to 30 scents from a recent high of 45. I'm pretty close right now. If that doesn't work, my goal will be 20. I can't see being satisfied with less than 20. But then I've got to stop with the new ones, especially from Marshall's and TJ Maxx! I'm buying crap just because it's on sale.
    I too am trying to stop the blind Marshall's purchases - very few have been working out lately. At my local Marshalls about 1/3 of the boxes have been ripped open, and when this happens I have no problem sampling. For some reason I don't have it in me to rip the boxes open myself.

Buying the Turin Perfume Guide hasn't helped - it's given me a lot of ideas for things I should try. I've gotten to a point where I've literally tried everything at the two department stores in my small town and there's nothing left I want to buy at those stores. The niche sampling has been working out well, but as predicted I want to buy about 40% of what I've sampled and that would get very expensive.

To change my buying habits I've been toying with the idea of buying one bottle (I'm now into the wonderful world of niche) per paycheck, plus sampling. This would be doable for me and I'd have 2 new bottles to play with a month. Anyone ever tried pacing themselves like this?

Post Thanks / Like

The one per paycheck is my plan. It's doable, and so far it's working for me. I have resisted buying a new bottle for two weeks now, and I'm using my inventory!

Good Luck!

I re-sell on eBay. That way I fell comfortable (or less un-comfortable) buying. I do have a true addiction, though. I figure it beats drugs and alcohol (which are fairly rampant in my family), tobacco, fancy cars, clothes, jewelry!!
    (And I too have developed a thing for tea, as many have mentioned! What is it about tea and perfume? And many of the boutique e-tailers sell tea! What's up with that?! LOL they KNOW we can't resist because they're addicted too!! )

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, once every 2 weeks is what i do, but, i do admit, i still get obsessvive sometimes.

M.deCaillavet

It's a bit of an impulse for me as well, but I have come to realise that consumption of all material goods is impulsive, too. I obsessively buy books, clothes, and (though I buy less of this than of anything else), cologne. And what else is there? All the money I have for frivolous spending (or, in other words, all my money) is spent impulsively on these three items.
    But that's the point of materialism. All those advertisements are designed to make you feel inadequate. How can you stop buying perfume when, after every purchase, there appears a new fragrance that promises to make you smell desirable in ways that whatever it is you've just bought can never do?

It is important to be conscious of the effects of advertisement. Occupy yourself with something else (books do it for me) and avoid perfume ads and basenotes. As a result, you'll see that your present collection offers more than what you need, and you'll feel foolish for ever having wanted more.

HOW?!?!
    Since im living on a subsistence level! i cant afford many at a time!
    BUT 32 AT ONCE IS LIKE 1500-2000 $ !!!!!!!!!!
    What do you work when i may ask

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Addicted to buying perfumes

My GOD I am not the only one...and i am completely spoiled ny niche perfumes....much more expensive....(but perfume is better than cocaine )

My name is KeLLsTar & I am a perfumaholic.

I know exactly where you are coming from! I developed a perfume addiction in the last year & went crazy buying new perfumes after being a 1 perfume girl for ages and ages.

I love the fragrances, & smelling nice but I think it's a bit more than that too.

* The "buzz" of getting a bargain
    * Buying something that was just released
    * The anticipation of getting something new in the mail
    * Having something that's special, discontinued, unique
    * Getting compliments from friends, family & strangers!
    * Talking/typing to other people about your new favourites & sharing opinions.

I still love perfume, but I think I've beaten the addiction.

I look at the perfumes I currently have and feel that it would be a shame for any of it to go "off". If I keep buying more, there's more chance of what I have just sitting there. I know that perfume can last a long time but I don't want to take the chance. It would be a waste of my money, time and energy. I couldn't forgive myself if I had to throw any out!

I've given myself a certain amount of space in my linen closet for my perfume. It's close to full so I won't purchase anything new until there's a spare spot - that means I have to keep using it.

I don't save my perfume for a special occassion - I use it every day no matter if I am going out or slumming at home - my perfume is for me, not for other people - compliments are just a great side effect.

I've bought many different types of fragrances, rather than one particular group so I think I've covered my favourites. This means there will be less chance of me seeing a type of fragrance that I don't have and wanting it & also that I have the right perfume for the right mood!

Hope this helps you, even a little bit. There's nothing wrong with an addiction, as long as you can control it! Us addicts have to stick together!
    It's been a long hot Summer in Sydney, looking forward to Winter & wearing vanilla fragrances.
    http://DiaryOfAPerfumeAddict.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Love it, KeLLsTar!

My name is Red, and I'm a colognaholic with perfumaholic tendencies. Among my worst crimes are spreading the disease to those around me. Two ruined so far, more on the way.

I realized just how bad this is when we were driving to the mall the other day. I sniffed my left arm up and down, looking for unscented spots that I could spray while testing at Saks. Joyful that there was only one unusable spot on my left arm (Terre d'Hermes, near the bottom of the wrist, 2 inches back), I joyfully calculated aloud how many fresh spots I had left for testing.

"Dad, you sound like a heroin addict looking for places to inject."

Yeah.

My name is Red, and I'm a junkie.

Red !
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

AromiErotici

My God man !!! You can literally open a franchise with all those frags.

Post Thanks / Like

My name is VM I hate civet and I am a perfumaholic, though I can at least resist scents containing civet.

Red, your very funny story struck several chords with me - the heroin addict looking for unused sites is me to a "T"! - I have a system of 10 regular skin spots per shopping trip, but I can ramp this up to 12 or 14 by going as far as the elbow or spritzing individual fingers (it is quite an art to keep sniffable areas from cross-perfuming themselves).

Like you, I am corrupting those around me eg my brother and several girlfriends. I have even begun to corrupt people remotely - had an email from a Swedish friend who is now buying loads of stuff from The Perfumed Court and holding testing sessions with her mum and friends over there. It is like some kind of cult or pyramid selling. (If only!)

For me, the thrill of "OMG it's another package" also holds good - mostly bringing samples. I have managed not to go too mad on full bottles, but I already own upwards of 15, and some of those were mistakes.

I will visit this thread again when my resistance is low...
    Last edited by VM I hate civet; 7th September 2008 at 06:27 PM.

My goodness! I've stumbled into a thread of kindred spirits! And here I thought I had gone off the deep end purchasing about 100 bottles in the last 2 months, really "ramping up" my collection - which may be very much off the deep end nevertheless. :bounce: I'll probably cool off it now, there comes a point when I satiate my collector's tendency, more or less, in each type of thing, and usually only acquire a 'trickle', a handful per year when the opportunity presents itself, rather than actively pursuing acquisitions.

As it is, around 140 bottles have filled my top 2 dresser drawers, and are fighting with other collections for some of that space... I think there's enough variety in there to keep it very interesting, always something new, find some favorites and some trades.

Fragrances are cool ---

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Andyman,

Glad you just posted about your collecting rate - beside you I feel pleasantly restrained! Yet I happen to know that the volume of juice I am sitting on, factoring in my average daily spray/dab rates, is running at in excess of 8 years' worth, which is already quite scary.

I only joined Basenotes on Friday and see I have clocked up nearly 30 posts. Admittedly the weather is lousy in Britain at the moment and I have a cold and don't feel like going outside. Still, I may be looking for the thread on Basenotes addiction before too long!

Post Thanks / Like

When I started out, I was buying 2 frags per paycheck, now I'm down to 1 a month...if that. Every now and then though...I'll binge. I guess I have a problem too. "Growing" my collection isn't an excuse huh?

Hi I'm "M" and I'm a colognaholic/pefumaholic.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh dear. I think I am fast developing an addiction to buying perfume. Since I moved to London I've bought rather more than I did before, in that last year and a half I've bought:-

- Claris Eau Soillelante
    - Serge Lutens Bois en Vanille
    - Bella Bellisima Perfect Man Alternative
    - Perfume de Rosine Rose D'Amour
    - Perfume de Rosine Rose Praline
    - Miller Harris L'air de rein
    - Jo Malone Honeysuckle and Jasmine
    - Jo Malone Grapefruit

and thinking about it, the last 6 of those are all within the last 6 months. And all I've used up is a bottle of Escada Sunset Heat and one of Clinique Happy so I am definately buying at a faster rate than I can use the stuff up. And I still have some pretty full bottles of other stuff in my drawer, not to mention a bad of samples I have been given with purchases (I haven't got into buying samples yet)

I'm sure I have been treating myself more because I've had a tough time at work, and as a single girl with no time for romance (as in I am working too hard) I guess buying fragrance (not to mention lots of make up / bath products / facial cosmetics) is one way of making myself feel more feminine and pamper. And don't get me started on the shoes etc. But it's hardly a good substitute for life is it?

Ho hum, perhaps joining basenotes and reading all about more exciting perfumes to try wasn't a great idea!

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

I am becoming a perfume addict ! I used to be a one scent person - for years and years before I changed to another signature scent. Now I am so slutty with my fragrances - I change my perfume all the time - I buy not one bottle but two bottles for fear I won't have enough ( and I am saving on shipping ! ) Hence for every perfume I have I have at least one extra full bottle . I have so many samples too.
    My wishlist at Luckyscent is getting very long too but I have refrained from buying more since my last double purchase of Eau De Soir two weeks ago .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AnnaSa View Post
    I know the feeling!
    However; since I became addicted to perfume and perfumebuying, I've noticed that I spend less on other things, especially clothes.
    And since we are talking about travelling: isn't fragrances a great way to travel in your mind? You can go to the deserts of Marocco, smell the air of Capri and linger in Venezia anytime you want! I know it doesn't beat the real thing, but it's nice to dream a little while your wallet gently weeps.
    ME TOO, Lately when I'm about to by non-perfume related items I tend to think about what perfume I could buy or put in a fund to buy with the money, like a few months I was about to buy a nice coat that was 120$ but then I realized that I could buy a bottle of Nanadebarey Green for that amount, so instead of Express seeing my money like I had planned, BeautyHabit.com saw it instead.
    [COLOR="Purple"]I am not afraid... I was born to do this.

-Joan of Arc [/COLOR]

Post Thanks / Like

If you prefer a new bottle of perfume to a coat you don't really need, there's nothing wrong with that, unless you're going around in freezing weather without one... well, winter doesn't last that long.
    Last edited by beachroses; 1st February 2009 at 06:35 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hm, if cash, but not only cash, also time and total availabilty within the stocks of perfume houses, perfume shops and so on, were NO object, I would consider not less than 100 (but it could certainly be much more than this particular figure) additional perfume buys. I know that this attitude is counterproductive and corrupts, but even if I'm fully aware that it's an addiction, I'm enjoying every moment of it.

Quote Originally Posted by tinker424 View Post
    LOL...I actually have been stock piling tea for years! I was thinking the other day, as I opened the cabinet and boxes of tea fell on my head, I need to join a tea forum! It is a sickness, I can't stop! I love tea and perfume and I have plenty of both should there be an end to civilization.
    Yeah. I'm another tea addict. I think I found a can of rishi chai that I haven't opened for a while.

I try to limit my fragrances by what I'm going to wear in a short period of time. So far, I have only three full bottles in my home - one pending. So far, if I am to make any more purchases, it will be samples.

I think the key is to finding your holy grail, and sticking to it.
    "If a perfume stinks, it's a disaster when she turns off the light." - Jean-Paul Guerlain