Code of Conduct

Default Bulgari Black - yech

I got a sample of this in a roll on (parenthetically, this is my first roll on applicator and it is a neat little thing). It has been described as burnt rubber. I mean, I know you have to distinguish your product but cmon, between this and SL Miel de Bois, I am grossed out for the evening. At least SL MdB can be said to be coniferous, like in a forest of nothing but pine trees. I feel like with the Bulgari, I am sniffing tires. How can this be one of the most shared scents, oh, I got it, there is a larger goth population then I thought, and of course, Demeter Dirt is still around and there is a scent named Magot, so of course, this one can be popular.

I think I am gonna stop with the Cherqui, Fumerie and I will sample Arabie and Ambre Sultan in the next two days.

Serpent

Default Re: Bulgari Black - yech

Quote Originally Posted by finsfan
    It has been described as burnt rubber. I mean, I know you have to distinguish your product but cmon... I feel like with the Bulgari, I am sniffing tires.
    It gets less jaw-dropping with subsequent smellings, and the scent is, in fact very wearable. The rest of the notes are actually quite sweet; the white floral-resinous-sweet woody notes (all very synthetic) mimic the famous jasmine-vanilla-sandalwood trio of Shalimar in combination and proportion, and the rubber takes the place of the classic Guerlain's animal notes. It's sort of like that classic Guerlain as worn by Auntie Entity. But, more importantly, the rubber cuts the heavy sweetness, tempers the powderiness, and provides the masculinity, making what would otherwise be a very feminine fragrance suddenly a unisex scent. There's a method to the madness.

It should be sprayed on, though. The roller is also probably giving you a strange reading.

I was just at TJ Maxx checking out the frags and noticed that they have a set of Bvlgari Black mini-soaps in a clear tube that has been marked down 3 times, now to only $2. I smelled it and didn't like it at all either. If any readers of this thread are into Bvl Black and want these soaps, let me know and you can trade me for a decant or a couple of samples.

Always looking to trade!
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

I am stunned.

I can't believe you have Sean Jean in your wardrobe and you dislike Bvlgari Black.

I'm not trying to diss you, because you have some great frags. But being on this site I'm sure you know that you really have to wear a fragrance to understand its potential.

Next time you go out with a woman, put on some Bvlgari Black right out of the shower...she will be pleased.

I've never actually tried the fragrance itself, just the soap. Actually, I didn't even try the soap, just smelled it. Not terrible, but almost confusing to me. That and I originally thought it was a female scent (its on the women's shelf at TJ Maxx). Guess I'll give it another shot. Are you saying that it is similar to Unforgivable or in the same "vein"?
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

I wish Black was *more* rubbery. Or at least that the rubbery leather feel would last longer on me. Unfortunately I'm rushed to the vanillic basenotes very quickly when I've tried this. And then I get a rash, so it's not for me anyway.

I'd love to try the soap.

Quote Originally Posted by Concord
    I wish Black was *more* rubbery. Or at least that the rubbery leather feel would last longer on me. Unfortunately I'm rushed to the vanillic basenotes very quickly when I've tried this. And then I get a rash, so it's not for me anyway.

Bulgari Black is one of a handful fragrances that give me a rash too, and a very stubborn one, almost impossible to wash off. I wonder what that is. it´s a shame. I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by finsfan
    I got a sample of this in a roll on (parenthetically, this is my first roll on applicator and it is a neat little thing). It has been described as burnt rubber. I mean, I know you have to distinguish your product but cmon, between this and SL Miel de Bois, I am grossed out for the evening. At least SL MdB can be said to be coniferous, like in a forest of nothing but pine trees. I feel like with the Bulgari, I am sniffing tires.

I think I am gonna stop with the Cherqui, Fumerie and I will sample Arabie and Ambre Sultan in the next two days.
    you should love the ambre sultan (got my bottle in the mail today) but I don't know about the arabie. haven't tried it.

often I base my enjoyment of fragrances solely on my opinion. however, Bulgari black puts my wife off so badly with the burnt rubber and metal smell that she refuses to be in the same room with me. So, I know where my priorities are (usually) consequently, we will enjoy fragrances SHE likes when we're together (really nothing like, 'oh my God, that's making me nauseous. get that away from me').
    If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I help you become that”--Von Goethe

top favorites: bois d'argent, havana, jaipur, amber sultan, fumerie turque, chergui, l'homme sage
    willing to swap/sell everything but my lutens. shoot me a pm

I actually went past the smelling of the tube of B Black soaps at TJ's and brought two of the damn things home. There's a reason they're marked down to two bucks and that would be that they have lost nearly all of their volatile oils and smell only of soap and aged packaging. Not a good way to judge one of the scents that started the whole metrosexual thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Concord
    I wish Black was *more* rubbery. Or at least that the rubbery leather feel would last longer on me. Unfortunately I'm rushed to the vanillic basenotes very quickly when I've tried this.

I agree with you man, and you know what, I`ve heard that soap is absolulety gorgeus!! (haven`t tried it my self,yet)

Luckily I don`t get the rash out of it-only a disapointment with the short longevity.

I've got a B Black soap from the counter at Nordstrom's that came in a black plastic hockey puck. The soap itself is, more or less, black, and you're right - it does smell wonderful. Unlike the nasty little lozenges from TJ's that smelled more like old cigar ashes than anything else. Threw them away, and I didn't get the two dollar deal on 'em, either.

The ones I mentioned and have access to (if anyone wants them) are the hockey puck ones. It comes with a plastic hockey puck- shaped box that holds one at a time - presumably for travel.

I just don't get it... on me Bvlgari Black is smooth and smoky if anything... and I always get compliments on it... for some reason I don't get that often mentioned *rubber* scent whatsoever in it... Leathery creaminess, yes! Rubbery, tire smell NO!

Hubby initially bought this for himself, but since it had no staying power on him at all, I decided to give it a shot and instantly fell in love with it... every time I wear it I ask myself why I don't wear this ALL THE TIME... but as all of us here at Basenotes know (LOL) that little absurdity would be impossible! With well over a hundred full bottles (and I have stopped counting) I just cannot imagine being faithful to only one!
    "Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali

I get Vanilla & Rubber, and then the rubber slowly fades over 2 hours to be replaced by a very slight sandalwoody note (but vanilla predominates).

It's a strange scent, not something I would wear to the office. But it is, as someone else has said, the *perfect* scent for your local gothic / industrial club.

I also love whoever described it as "An F1 car peeling out in a vanilla patch", although to me the rubber is more fabric rubber than tire rubber, a softer rubber mixed with a touch of powder.

Quote Originally Posted by Serpent
    It gets less jaw-dropping with subsequent smellings, and the scent is, in fact very wearable. The rest of the notes are actually quite sweet; the white floral-resinous-sweet woody notes (all very synthetic) mimic the famous jasmine-vanilla-sandalwood trio of Shalimar in combination and proportion, and the rubber takes the place of the classic Guerlain's animal notes. It's sort of like that classic Guerlain as worn by Auntie Entity. But, more importantly, the rubber cuts the heavy sweetness, tempers the powderiness, and provides the masculinity, making what would otherwise be a very feminine fragrance suddenly a unisex scent. There's a method to the madness.

It should be sprayed on, though. The roller is also probably giving you a strange reading.
    As luck would have it I wandered into a discount perfume store yesterday and sampled Bulgari Black for the first time - my first impression was the similarity to Guerlain - Bauhaus Shalimar. I really love this scent and I can't believe it took me so long to sample it. I bought a bottle and I'm wearing it today.

The word 'magot' is french for 'money; a pile of money'.

Maybe you've heard of the Deux Magot, a famous cafe in paris?

-ben
    Nihil Obstat Ben

[url=http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1883]My Wardrobe[/url]

Ok here is my Bulgari Black story.

I received a bottle about 6 years ago as a gift and hated it, it gave me a headache so I gave it away. The other day I was at Sephora and maybe because I'm a glutton for punishment sprayed some on and liked it ... and liked it even more as the day wore on, now I'm seriously thinking of buying it. I guess my tastes changed.

A similar thing happened when I tried Issey Miyake back in high school, gave me a horrible headache and couldn't get the scent off my jacket ... now it's one of my favourites.

Quote Originally Posted by Goddess_Dreams
    it had no staying power on him at all
    Bulgari is oblivious for not releasing Black in an EDP.

Quote Originally Posted by Goddess_Dreams
    I just don't get it... on me Bvlgari Black is smooth and smoky if anything... and I always get compliments on it... for some reason I don't get that often mentioned *rubber* scent whatsoever in it... Leathery creaminess, yes! Rubbery, tire smell NO!
    another girly Black wearer here, and I'm definitely more English rose than Goth. It's just gorgeous - all that smoky vanilla!

Dude your such a racist! HAAAAAAAA! Just being silly. Lets be politically correct, BVL Colored is my fragrance of the week actually. I wonder if the season and time of day impact the scent more severly than other scents. I have worn it before where I feel like I'm at a NASCAR race with KKK and Nazi members (a jab about Mao left for the triplicate of offence) other times its smelled of the most luxurious dark vanilla spice.

Cheers,
    Ali