Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 43 of 43
  1. #1

    Default Picked up some new scents

    I went away for a couple of days and got a chance to stop and shop in a bunch of outlet stores. They had this place called "Perfumania" and I figured I would pick up a new scent. I went into the store and told the lady about my wardrobe and what I am looking for. She started spraying alot of stuff on testers and I got to smell them all. L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme and PI really impressed me. After about 10 testers of scents. I liked two scents the best "VV man" by Roberto Verino and "Magnetism for Men" by Escada. I sprayed one on each arm and walked around a little to see how the scent develop. VV man had a better opening note but magnetism had a beening dry down.

    I figured since I do not have any thing really sweet in my collection, I decided on Magnetism. It is a very "shocking" scent to say the least. I will have to give it more time but so far I am impressed. This was my first time testing out scents before I brought them, next time I will go in with more of an idea of what I want. There was another scent shop and I picked up a little bottle of Givenchy Very Irresitable. So I picked up those and when I got home there was a bottle of Laguna PH on my bed that I ordered. I gotta stop buying scents for a while.

  2. #2
    nearfantastica
    Guest

    Default Re: Picked up some new scents

    Glad you had a good time shopping.. and in terms of Magnetism.. I must admit, I've never smelled anything quite like it.. I had a bottle.. one of the only bottles that I used completely..

    Some say it's a great clubbing scent.. I havn't worn it for that purpose though...

    thanks for sharing your experiences in "smelly" land.

    a.

  3. #3
    Serpent
    Guest

    Default Re: Picked up some new scents

    I'm glad you didn't get L'Eau d'Issey pour Homme and Pi. I'm not surprised they impressed you. They impress a lot of guys your age.

    Too many guys your age...

  4. #4

    Default Re: Picked up some new scents

    Quote Originally Posted by Serpent
    I'm glad you didn't get L'Eau d'Issey pour Homme and Pi. I'm not surprised they impressed you. They impress a lot of guys your age.

    Too many guys your age...
    This is true. Something inside me wants to keep buying more scents. But I think I am done till X-mas time. Do you think I did good shopping? The only scents I might consider getting rid of Paul London and Cool Water. Lagune could be on this list but I dont know yet

  5. #5
    Scentronic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Metro Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    2,747

    Default Re: Picked up some new scents

    2 fragrance stores, one of which being perfumania...didn't happen to be at the outlets in Birch Run, Michigan, did it?

    btw, you are doing the right thing by testing in this method. I bet you buy something else before X-mas though!
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

  6. #6

    Default Re: Picked up some new scents

    Quote Originally Posted by perfectfeet
    2 fragrance stores, one of which being perfumania...didn't happen to be at the outlets in Birch Run, Michigan, did it?

    btw, you are doing the right thing by testing in this method. I bet you buy something else before X-mas though!
    No it was in Penn. The lady said not alot of people come in the store and test like I do. So that was good.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Picked up some new scents

    Ya, looks like I will be buying (or swapping) scents before christmas. I blindly order Laguna, sprayed it and could barely smell anything. I am very dissatisfied with this scent. I also need to get rid of Cool Water and Paul London to make room for 3 new scents to replace them.

  8. #8
    Scentronic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Metro Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    2,747

    Default Re: Picked up some new scents

    Quote: "The lady said not alot of people come in the store and test like I do. So that was good."

    Ooooohhhh...Pretty bottle...I'll take it!

    And swapping is totally the way to go. Try to get decants of things you might be interested in before buying. Perfumania and the like are "discount" stores, so odds are they won't have any samples to give you.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

  9. #9

    Default Re: Picked up some new scents

    Looks like I have to get 500 posts before I can try to swap.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Picked up some new scents

    i quite like magnetism. The topnotes- no. Metal and grapes IS a good description. But in a half hour or so, awesome. Its one of my fav. clubbing frags as well. Synthetic-y, but very interesting. The heavy grape topnotes will fall back after a bit.

  11. #11
    Serpent
    Guest

    Default Re: Picked up some new scents

    Quote Originally Posted by KingMist
    Looks like I have to get 500 posts before I can try to swap.
    Says who? There are people with swap threads with less than ten posts. If you have something people want, people will swap with you.

    It might be good to go into your wardrobe and move things you want to swap out into your swap list area.
    Last edited by Serpent; 23rd August 2006 at 03:41 AM.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Picked up some new scents

    Quote Originally Posted by Serpent
    Says who? There are people with swap threads with less than ten posts. If you have something people want, people will swap with you.

    It might be good to go into your wardrobe and move things you want to swap out into your swap list area.
    I tried to make a thread it would not let me. I feel so stupid for buying this scents blind and not liking them. Well I do like Cool Water, but I want to make room for Green Irish Tweed when it comes. I will never buy a scent without smelling it first
    Last edited by ToadKings; 23rd August 2006 at 03:53 AM.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Picked up some new scents

    Quote Originally Posted by KingMist
    I will never buy a scent without smelling it first again.


    Good luck with that one.

  14. #14
    Serpent
    Guest

    Default Re: Picked up some new scents

    Quote Originally Posted by Spiritussancti
    Good luck with that one.
    Second.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Picked up some new scents

    I meant to say I won't buy a scent without smelling it first.
    I get this message when I try to post a thread in the market place

    KingMist, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

    1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
    2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
    3. If you are trying to post to the Market Place, please be aware that there are now restrictions to posting. More information can be found here.

  16. #16
    Serpent
    Guest

    Default Re: Picked up some new scents

    Quote Originally Posted by KingMist
    I tried to make a thread it would not let me. I feel so stupid for buying this scents blind and not liking them. Well I do like Cool Water, but I want to make room for Green Irish Tweed when it comes. I will never buy a scent without smelling it first
    Did you get a message about this? There's nothing in the rules that I read that says swapping is limited to members with only 500 posts or more. There is a member with a swap post right now who has just nine posts total, so I don't see why you should be unable to swap.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Picked up some new scents

    Quote Originally Posted by KingMist
    Ya, looks like I will be buying (or swapping) scents before christmas. I blindly order Laguna, sprayed it and could barely smell anything.
    Impossible! It could be cloying or sweet but lack of sillage is not one of its faults. Even the aftershave lasts a good few hours on me. Where did you get your bottle from?

  18. #18

    Default Re: Picked up some new scents

    Quote Originally Posted by Serpent
    Did you get a message about this? There's nothing in the rules that I read that says swapping is limited to members with only 500 posts or more. There is a member with a swap post right now who has just nine posts total, so I don't see why you should be unable to swap.
    No, I try and create a read thread and I get that message. I also found more about it:

    Posting threads in the Sale and Swap boards is now limited to certain members. Of course, if you have a thread ongoing from before the new limitations were implemented you should still have access to that thread.
    To post in the Sale or Swap boards you must meet at least one of the following criteria

    * You are a supporting member
    * You have been a member for over a year
    * You have made over 500 posts (members we feel are posting purely to reach this threshhold will have their post count reduced)

    If you do not meet this criteria, but feel you have special reason to be able to post (ie you have a large amount of positive feedback from the old board), please let me know.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Picked up some new scents

    Quote Originally Posted by milamber
    Impossible! It could be cloying or sweet but lack of sillage is not one of its faults. Even the aftershave lasts a good few hours on me. Where did you get your bottle from?
    I got it from Perfume.com. It doesn't really smell much of anything to me I smell coconuts.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Picked up some new scents

    Quote Originally Posted by KingMist
    I got it from Perfume.com. It doesn't really smell much of anything to me I smell coconuts.
    No vanilla? Tobacco? Citrus topnotes?

  21. #21
    Serpent
    Guest

    Default Re: Picked up some new scents

    Sorry about the limitations, man. You can pony up five bucks a month to try and swap - which is kind of a bummer - or wait for the 500 post/one-year threshhold, or you can hope someone's poking around and sees your swap listing in the scent's page. (Build your swap list in your wardrobe!) You're still free to poke around other people's swap lists and propose swaps via PMs; you have to be the proactive one right now is all. If you go to Laguna Homme's page, you'll see that twelve people have it on their wishlist. (The marketplace information is on the far right of the page.) Click on the marketplace link, and it will take you to this page. So it's not impossible for you to swap right now; you just have to do a little more work.

    And don't be discouraged by rejection. It takes time, and you'll have to find the right fit. You can work it out. Good luck!

  22. #22

    Default Re: Picked up some new scents

    Hey, thanks for all your help. I already found someone that has L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme and wants laguna! Nice.

  23. #23

    Default Re: Picked up some new scents

    Quote Originally Posted by KingMist
    I blindly order Laguna, sprayed it and could barely smell anything. I am very dissatisfied with this scent.
    Something is seriously wrong here, either with your nose or with the bottle.
    Check the bottle - does it say EDT or Aftershave Spray?

    The EDT is a long lasting powerhouse scent on me. If your skin destroys it, it should be wiping out a lot of other scents as well. Laguna has only the second Aftershave spray bottle I've ever come across, the other being put out by Drakkar Noir.

    Magnetism is interesting, I bought two 50ml bottles a month ago. I'd class it as an ambery fougere - same as Laguna.
    Renato

  24. #24

    Default Re: Picked up some new scents

    Quote Originally Posted by Renato
    Something is seriously wrong here, either with your nose or with the bottle.
    Check the bottle - does it say EDT or Aftershave Spray?

    The EDT is a long lasting powerhouse scent on me. If your skin destroys it, it should be wiping out a lot of other scents as well. Laguna has only the second Aftershave spray bottle I've ever come across, the other being put out by Drakkar Noir.

    Magnetism is interesting, I bought two 50ml bottles a month ago. I'd class it as an ambery fougere - same as Laguna.
    Renato
    I have the EDT. I dunno. I am not getting any citrus notes or vanilla just bland sand and coconuts notes. I will give it another shot another day but it didn't impress me right off the bat.

  25. #25
    Serpent
    Guest

    Default Re: Picked up some new scents

    Quote Originally Posted by Renato
    Something is seriously wrong here, either with your nose or with the bottle... If your skin destroys it, it should be wiping out a lot of other scents as well.
    He's also had trouble with Paul Smith London for Men, which has really good longevity on me; that was one of the criteria on which I based the recommendation.

  26. #26

    Default Re: Picked up some new scents

    From now on, I will smell the scents before I buy them.

  27. #27

    Default Re: Picked up some new scents

    Welp I added more stuff to my swap list. Now I gotta start to test out scents that I could possibly want. I want to smell more scents.

  28. #28

    Default Re: Picked up some new scents

    Quote Originally Posted by Serpent
    He's also had trouble with Paul Smith London for Men, which has really good longevity on me; that was one of the criteria on which I based the recommendation.
    Sounds like we have Sixcats, Destroyer of Scents, Mark 11 here.
    Renato

  29. #29

    Default Re: Picked up some new scents

    Quote Originally Posted by KingMist
    From now on, I will smell the scents before I buy them.
    You had better do more than smell them. Spray them on your wrists or back of your hands.
    If they're still there with some strength after 3 hours, you can consider buying them.
    If they're totally gone, or just barely detectable, avoid them.
    This will save you a lot of wasted purchases.
    Renato

  30. #30

    Default Re: Picked up some new scents

    Quote Originally Posted by KingMist
    I meant to say I won't buy a scent without smelling it first.
    Yes I know what you meant, and I said good luck with that because it is impossible to try every fragrance before you buy it. Some are hard to get samples for, and if you don't end up buying it you could be missing out on a great fragrance. Just do more research on your own next time. Trust me I've boguth blind before and regretted it. My recent buy of four fragrances from Scentiments contained three blind buys, and I love them all. Just do more reserach. Ask around, check the reviews. You'll soon start to get a hunch for what will smell good to you.

  31. #31

    Default Re: Picked up some new scents

    Quote Originally Posted by milamber
    No vanilla? Tobacco? Citrus topnotes?
    I just sprayed it on myself. Two on the neck and one on each wrist. It smells like I am not wearing cologne at all. I have to put my nose right against my wrist to smell anything. I don't smell the citrus topnotes. They may be there but are not powerful. I got a faint smell of vanilla and tobacco though. It is not strong.

  32. #32

    Default Re: Picked up some new scents

    Quote Originally Posted by KingMist
    I just sprayed it on myself. Two on the neck and one on each wrist. It smells like I am not wearing cologne at all. I have to put my nose right against my wrist to smell anything. I don't smell the citrus topnotes. They may be there but are not powerful. I got a faint smell of vanilla and tobacco though. It is not strong.
    If you can decant a small amount of it and don't mind shipping it to me, i'm very interested to test this "Laguna" you have. This is Laguna by Salvatore Dali right? Describe the bottle to me. No way can you not smell anything with 4 spritzes of the juice! Two to the chest lasts all day on me. No skin can absorb that much sillage.

  33. #33

    Default Re: Picked up some new scents

    Quote Originally Posted by milamber
    If you can decant a small amount of it and don't mind shipping it to me, i'm very interested to test this "Laguna" you have. This is Laguna by Salvatore Dali right? Describe the bottle to me. No way can you not smell anything with 4 spritzes of the juice! Two to the chest lasts all day on me. No skin can absorb that much sillage.
    The bottle is blue with Laguna homme written across it. It has dali on the bottle and on the cap. I keep get faint whiffs of it every now and then.

  34. #34

    Default Re: Picked up some new scents

    Quote Originally Posted by KingMist
    The bottle is blue with Laguna homme written across it. It has dali on the bottle and on the cap. I keep get faint whiffs of it every now and then.
    Can you do one last thing for me and find someone now and ask them can they smell the perfume you're wearing and whether is strong or weak.

  35. #35

    Default Re: Picked up some new scents

    Quote Originally Posted by milamber
    Can you do one last thing for me and find someone now and ask them can they smell the perfume you're wearing and whether is strong or weak.
    I would if I could but no one is around at this time.

  36. #36

    Default Re: Picked up some new scents

    I just sprayed some more on, I think I smelled the citrus topnotes. What I am smelling is hard to describe. I don't quite know how to put it. But I can barely smell it.

  37. #37
    Scentronic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Metro Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    2,747

    Default Re: Picked up some new scents

    I think what milamber is getting at is that it might be fake or old. Scentiments has always been totally reliable though, so I, for one, am hoping this isn't the case.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

  38. #38
    Serpent
    Guest

    Default Re: Picked up some new scents

    Quote Originally Posted by KingMist
    I just sprayed some more on, I think I smelled the citrus topnotes. What I am smelling is hard to describe. I don't quite know how to put it. But I can barely smell it.
    I think what he's trying to get at is to live with it until you can around someone to ask an opinion. Moreover, though, do you like it? That's even more important. If not, then don't sweat it.

  39. #39

    Default Re: Picked up some new scents

    I would give Laguna 5 stars in both sillage and longevity. I have to spray it from really far away to keep it from getting cloying. I'm thinking that you're suffering from olfactory fatigue. Leave the scent alone and try it in two days, and this time do it with someone around, preferably a girl. I guarantee it will be extremely strong to her.

  40. #40

    Default Re: Picked up some new scents

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Giraffe
    I would give Laguna 5 stars in both sillage and longevity. I have to spray it from really far away to keep it from getting cloying. I'm thinking that you're suffering from olfactory fatigue. Leave the scent alone and try it in two days, and this time do it with someone around, preferably a girl. I guarantee it will be extremely strong to her.
    Maybe, I did smell a bunch of scents that day. I will give it a few days and try it again.

  41. #41

    Default Re: Picked up some new scents

    Hey, I just went to a perfumania here yesterday. I was a little diassapointed though. I tried about 10 scents, but nothing really jumped out at me. I ended up getting a bottle of Brit and Envy. After I got home, I smelled the strips again and was amazed- Egoiste and BLV smelled freakin' great. At least I know what I'll get next time.

  42. #42

    Default Re: Picked up some new scents

    Quote Originally Posted by kraken
    Hey, I just went to a perfumania here yesterday. I was a little diassapointed though. I tried about 10 scents, but nothing really jumped out at me. I ended up getting a bottle of Brit and Envy. After I got home, I smelled the strips again and was amazed- Egoiste and BLV smelled freakin' great. At least I know what I'll get next time.
    But where did you put the strips on the way home? If you placed them together, the smells gonna rub off on each other.

  43. #43

    Default Re: Picked up some new scents

    KM-
    Let me say that you did the right thing in waiting to see how the frag develops. Magnetism is a really interesting scent to me. I don't get the leather in it, but plums yeah. This was one which I traded away and immediately regretted trading so I purchased it again!
    K
    In rotation: Greenbriar (new), Silver Mountain Water, Dunhill for Men (1934), Acqua di Parma Colonia, Habit Rouge EDC, Ho Hang, B*Men, Agua Brava

Similar Threads

  1. Ethnicity and Scents
    By maisonstinky in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 30th June 2010, 05:42 PM
  2. Anybody like Benetton Scents?
    By Renato in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 22nd February 2008, 05:11 PM
  3. Any really nice grapefruit scents?
    By sanddrift in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 11th November 2006, 08:48 PM
  4. 20 Scents in 20 Days
    By naranjito in forum Just Starting Out
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 21st August 2006, 06:43 PM
  5. REVIEW: Miller Harris launches 2 NEW Scents
    By scenteur7 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 20th August 2005, 06:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000