Code of Conduct

Default Brisbane Queensland

This week I discovered some unusual gems in Brisbane, of all places!

David Jones, in the Queens Plaza, suddenly have some bottles of L'Artisan Perfumer frags, most noteably "Tea For Two". (I believe it's a favourite of one of the American regulars around here?) Of course, they did not have any testers (WHAT THE...?) so I couldn't try it, but it's comforting to know that slowly (oh, so slowly) Brisbane is starting to get some high-quality scents.

I also found another shop (can't remember the name) that lives just under this David Jones on the ground floor that sells, among other things, Odeur 53 and some Serge Leutens.

I haven't tried them yet, but it's good to know that they are there, albeit at hideously inflated prices.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Brisbane Queensland

Anyone know the name of the other shop?

I too noticed the L'Artisans at David Jones. Perhaps if we all DON'T buy any they'll go on sale one day...

They now have a tester of Mandarine Tout Simplement which is a wonderful smell, but extremely light.

Quote Originally Posted by Clare
    Anyone know the name of the other shop?
    I'm guessing that shop is mecca cosmetica - they stock those scents, and I'm pretty sure they're the exclusive Australian stockists of Serge Lutens

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, Mecca Cosmetica is great. I tested Serge Lutens' Fleurs d'Oranger (my boyfriend said I smelled like an old lady, but I liked it) and plan to go back soon. They also have Fracas, which I've never seen anywhere else around here.

Quote Originally Posted by Clare
    I too noticed the L'Artisans at David Jones. Perhaps if we all DON'T buy any they'll go on sale one day...
    Well that's what ended up happening to Diptyque and CSP at DJ's in the city here. They got sold off, cheap as chips.

But I don't think it'll happen to L'artisan, at least not for a while, as the line is proving popular, else it wouldn't have gone interstate. I've my fingers crossed though that Penhaligon's will be next in line, as I've my eye on Malabah...

Post Thanks / Like

Heads up! There are MANY L'Artisan testers at David Jones now.

On the Gold Coast (Robina) at the Pacific Fair Shopping Mall. They have an official L'occitane de Provence shop. One of the ladies who works there speaks french as well, which was a nice treat. Their Vetiver scent for men is quite nice and worth checking out.

I went to the Perfume Connection store at Garden City and saw about 6 unboxed Dior Homme Intense, they were about $70-$80 can't really remember exactly. I hope they're not sold out yet cause i want to buy one. The Perfume Connection website, though, it shithouse and never exactly lists what they have in store. The Perfume Empire website though is very good.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    On the Gold Coast (Robina) at the Pacific Fair Shopping Mall. They have an official L'occitane de Provence shop. One of the ladies who works there speaks french as well, which was a nice treat. Their Vetiver scent for men is quite nice and worth checking out.
    Thanks to nsamadi for this tip and our personal conversation last week

I managed one visit to Robina Town Centre while I was on the Coast and for those that may be interested:

DAVID JONES is really the only show in town. MYERS not bad but really just standard designer fare.

Kiehls Essential Oils are there - picked up the elusive Pour Homme.
    Roger & Gallet have a few - not the ones I wanted but the Gingembre Eau Fraiche is quite nice - sort of a mix of Orange Flower and the Ginger Lily that grows here in HK.
    Acqua di Parma line is all there - some of the Blue Meds, as well.
    Annick Goutal pretty well represented also but that's about as niche as it gets.

The LUSH store carries their Gorilla Perfumes line - bought Breath of God.

L'Occitane Eau des Baux must be BIG on the coast - in all L'Occitane stores (Pacific Fair, as well) along with Body Wash & Deodorant.

Quote Originally Posted by Clare View Post
    Wow, Mecca Cosmetica is great. I tested Serge Lutens' Fleurs d'Oranger (my boyfriend said I smelled like an old lady, but I liked it) and plan to go back soon. They also have Fracas, which I've never seen anywhere else around here.
    Unfortunately Mecca is just way too overpriced. You can buy things online from overseas for half the price or less.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Was in Brisbane in May. The Myers on Queen Street has a niche island (near Illamasqua) with the full range of Keiko Mecheri and Neotantric fragrances.

Post Thanks / Like

I was glad to find out that DJ also carries Tom Ford's line (including Tuscan Leather and other "reserve" stuff), and Amouage. Whoever manages the perfumes department has an eye on the hyperluxury market and it's a good opportunity to give some pricey stuff a sniff.
    I found funny on a couple of visits to see some weird characters from the adjacent Queen st. mall, to go in to refresh themselves (it's called eau de toilette, not eau de miracle mate) with the testers. I should have filmed the "amouage gold episode"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplelune View Post
    The Myers on Queen Street has a niche island (near Illamasqua) with the full range of Keiko Mecheri and Neotantric fragrances.
    O_O Never noticed this, does anyone know if they still have Keiko Mecheri?

Post Thanks / Like

Keiko Mecheri's line is still there, and on the same "island" (a big black cube with shelves) there is Frapin (probably more interesting to the boys here). DJ has fair more niche houses on display, though, and over a larger area. I think the perfumery section of both DJ and Myers is managed by the same company, as the same sales staff rotate between the two stores and they actually advise you to visit the other store if they don't have in stock something you are interested in

Post Thanks / Like

Bump. A spot many might have overlooked is New Farm Editions, near the Coles in New Farm. They have homewares and books along with some interesting fragrance brands, including L'Erbolario, which makes Meharees which many say is a Musc Ravageur clone - just search Meharees on Basenotes and you'll get a ton of threads about it. (I tested it and found them quite similar, Meharees is less musky and lacks the fierce, medicinal opening notes of Musc Ravageur. Undecided whether I'd pay $62 for 50ml, since I wasn't as crazy about it as MR.)

I also saw L'Occitane, Molinard, Fragonard, Tokyo Milk, and other similar brands on the cheaper end of niche. Worth checking out if you're in the area.