Code of Conduct

Question autumn/winter wedding -fragrance ideas?

I think I posted on Goddess-Dreams thread way back in the spring - somehow the months have disappeared and it's time for me to start thinking about my fragrance for my wedding and doing some sampling!

I haven't bought anything new since January so am prepared to splurge just a little....

It's an autumn wedding (end October), the mood is celtic (oh is Scottish), with a hint of Snow Queen and Lord of the Rings. I was thinking about sampling Balenciaga Cristobal, Penhaligons Love Potion, Chanel #5 pure parfum, Kingdom pure parfum, the new Agent Provocateur Maitresse and the Ormonde Jayne Orris Noir. I also keep thinking that Guerlain's l'Instant would work well. I think the absolute perfect one in my mind would be Malle's En Hiver, but it's out of the question because oh dislikes the aniseed note in it.

Any more ideas? I'm not too keen on straight vanillas at the moment, would like something with an edge to it whilst remaining captivating, enchanting etc etc. I think my wardrobe is still here (hopefully it made it across to the new site with me).

Many thanks in advance!

Default Re: autumn/winter wedding -fragrance ideas?

The first time I smelled Guerlain's Parure, my first thought was " AUTUMN BRIDE" , which is odd because it's not a floral/bouquet. Mitsouko in parfum form also would make a beautiful wedding scent. Chanel # 5 in parfum, so elegant!! Good luck in your search, and of course... CONGRATULATIONS

The mood sounds absolutely lovely!

Autumn to me is Feminite du Bois- although it's certainly not to everyone's style. I fell in love with her last year and have already found myself reaching for her as I turn my thoughts toward the change of seasons.

I will try to think more about this and see what else I can think of. I'm sure others will chime in with lots of good ideas too.

Oh- almost hit the reply button and also thought of Angel. I'm not exactly sure why since it doesn't work on me at all. I love it on others though and it has that wonderful, deep patchouli note. It kind of has a fairytale image to it as well, certainly unforgettable.
    Scent is such a lovely, simple pleasure!

I wore Guerlinade, with its roses and lush jasmine and iris for our September wedding - it's warm and perfectly blended, and has now become a very special perfume for both of us. I would recommend that whatever you go for, you should have a look at the pure parfum (or an edp if that's all that's available in your choice).

Have you tried Balenciaga Quadrille? It's a very lovely chypre which works well in cool weather. It's got a beautiful note of ready-to-fall leaves to it.

Whatever you choose, I hope you have a wonderful wedding and a long and loving life together.

Well, now that you mention Ormonde Jayne, the Woman scent is really lovely, rather dark and mysterious, yet floral enough for a wedding. It's unusual and very Celtic to me. And it's completely unique. Really anything from this perfumery would be lovely. Mitsouko of course, can't go wrong with a turn-of-the-century Guerlain. I love Feminite du Bois also, though it's a "major cedar fan" scent, which I am. I think I'd order a sample pack from Ormonde Jayne, though....

Stella Rose Absolute is so "old kingdom" for me, so "snowwhite"...
    I also like the suggestion of Angel.
    "They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night."
    Edgar Allan Poe

http://perfumum.blogspot.com/

Some great ideas thank you! I used to post as hebe, as Little_my was a bit too similar to Lille_my, but I haven't worked out how to change it on this new board yet.

I love Mitsouko edt... good thinking, it should be even lovelier in the parfum. I will also seek out the Guerlinade and Parure. The Quadrille and Fem du Bois sound gorgeous too, I can see me ending up buying more than one.

Elf - i have an Ormonde Jayne sample pack - Champaca and Frangipani are two of my staples! I will re-try Ormonde Woman, didn't get on too well with it before but was intrigued. Sadly Angel is a non-starter for me, I too love how it smells on others, but it just doesn't like me at all and lets the whole world know just how much it doesn't like me. I will seek out the Stella Absolute too, that could work as my flowers are roses and orchids.

I think I probably won't go for the Chanel, oh and I both love it, but he encouraged me to try it after he had followed a woman to find out what scent she was wearing. I know that's probably a long time back for him now, but it's not a thought I want to have in my head on our wedding day.

Thanks again for your help, and for your lovely congratulations and best wishes!

Overcome By Fumes

I think Guerlain Anisia Bella would be splendid.

Autumn to me is Frapin 1270, but that may prove too sweet. Mitsouko is a classic at any time, in any day.

Whatever you choose, congrats!

Smile Re: autumn/winter wedding -fragrance ideas?

Don't worry, you will find your scent! If you don't find something new, you can always wear one of your favorites, one that makes you feel comfortable, because wedding days can be a little nerve-wracking from time-to-time, and a comfort scent can be a great friend.

CONGRATULATIONS! to you beautiful Autumn Bride !!!!

My suggestion as always is Serge Lutens - Fleurs d'oranger
    "Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali

Congratulations on your forthcoming wedding! I would highly
    recommend CRISTOBAL - I wore it at my sister's wedding
    two weeks ago and got masses of compliments ( sis wore
    Samsara , by the way.)
    It's one of those scents that makes me feel special and
    happy whenever I wear it. L'Instant is fabulous too.

Thank you for your posts and good wishes

I have ordered many samples today: Aimez moi, Fleurs d'oranger, Angeliques sous la pluie, Gris Clair, Eaud de charlotte (that one just looked yummy) and Songes. I've also asked for LP from Penhaligons, and will sample the Cristobal and the Gerlains next weekend.

If nothing works for me, I will order a pure parfum and bath oil in Frangipane or Champaca...

Talking Re: autumn/winter wedding -fragrance ideas?

Still like Chanel Gardenia for any wedding. Pure Tiffany is also lovely. I don't think the time of year matters. It is what you like

Wink Re: autumn/winter wedding -fragrance ideas?

Congratulations on your upcoming nuptials! 8 years ago for my wedding I went perfume hunting with my future Mother in Law - and I chose 'Oscar' by Oscar de le Renta. It has some lovely vanilla without being 'animalistic' sex vanilla/musk you can sometimes get. (not that 'animiliastic sex' is a bad thing for later! LOL
    But I must say, if my small country town had Mitsouko in the Parfum - I might have gone for that. I just love it. But not the EDT, I have that at the moment and it is very powdery, whereas I love the fruity in the Parfum.
    Happy hunting!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Little_My
    I think I posted on Goddess-Dreams thread way back in the spring - somehow the months have disappeared and it's time for me to start thinking about my fragrance for my wedding and doing some sampling!

I haven't bought anything new since January so am prepared to splurge just a little....

It's an autumn wedding (end October), the mood is celtic (oh is Scottish), with a hint of Snow Queen and Lord of the Rings. I was thinking about sampling Balenciaga Cristobal, Penhaligons Love Potion, Chanel #5 pure parfum, Kingdom pure parfum, the new Agent Provocateur Maitresse and the Ormonde Jayne Orris Noir. I also keep thinking that Guerlain's l'Instant would work well. I think the absolute perfect one in my mind would be Malle's En Hiver, but it's out of the question because oh dislikes the aniseed note in it.

Any more ideas? I'm not too keen on straight vanillas at the moment, would like something with an edge to it whilst remaining captivating, enchanting etc etc. I think my wardrobe is still here (hopefully it made it across to the new site with me).

Many thanks in advance!
    My immediate response is Caron Nuit de Noel - haunting, enthralling sillage, great in the cold winter months.

I also humbly suggest:

Guerlain Champs Elysees parfum
    Jean Desprez Bal a Versailles
    Guerlain L'Heure Bleue parfum
    Caron Tabac Blond
    Givenchy Organza Indecence
    Lanvin Arpege
    Caron Coup de Fouet
    Givenchy Ysatis
    Guerlain Chamade parfum

Congratulations! by the way...
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Little_My
    I think I probably won't go for the Chanel, oh and I both love it, but he encouraged me to try it after he had followed a woman to find out what scent she was wearing. I know that's probably a long time back for him now, but it's not a thought I want to have in my head on our wedding day.
    Close but different alternatives are:

Van Cleef & Arpels First parfum - warmer and more fruity but very similar
    Coty L'Aimant PdT - (The Magnet) this is actually closer to Chanel No.5 Elixir Sensuelle but just as beautiful. Softer, sweeter and much less aldehydic.
    Coty L'Aimant Caresse Orchidee - this is much closer to No.5 then L'Aimant in scent. Gorgeous, elegant, classically feminine.
    Lanvin Arpege EDP / parfum - both start out very polished, sharp and aldehydic but the drydown of Arpege is so dreamy and beguiling, totally captivating.

Hope that helps!

Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Thankyou PerfumeGirl, Gumoosh and MoonDeva - so many ideas!

You inspired me to go back into my sample box, now doubling as an RSVP card box, I thought I had a sample of Tabac Blond. Not so - it was Daim Blond - but is very lovely and I'm wondering why I didn't enjoy it this much before. I have always wondered about Arpege, after reading of it in a novel.

Back to Les Senteurs for samples of Nuit de Noel and tabac Blond - this is almost as much fun as choosing my dress

Many, many congratulations to you, becoming Mrs. Little_My!

Suggesting a fragrance for your wedding I do not dare, but I look forward to hearing what you finally choose!
    Best of luck!

Hello again,
    while i was rearranging my bottles yesterday I had some other ideas for your autumnall stroll through the fairy's forest with your beloved, your winterdream celebration that i wanted to share :

1) Lolita Lempicka (the ivy one)
    2) Cartier Délices (also a Snowwhite-perfume in my reception, somehow...)
    3) Hypnotic Poison
    "They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night."
    Edgar Allan Poe

http://perfumum.blogspot.com/

Best wishes on your upcoming wedding!

My main thought is you should go with a classic scent from Caron, Chanel or Guerlain, in pure parfum. The reason is simple: Whatever scent you choose, you will always associate it with your wedding and may very well want to wear it on your anniversary and other occasions to bring back happy memories of that special day. A classic from one of the old houses is more likely than a trendier fragrance to still be available years from now.

When I read your first list of possibilities, my immediate pick was No. 5 parfum. The drydown is divine, and scents don't get any more classic than this one. But I understand your reason for not wanting to wear it. I think many of the Carons would be wonderful, as they have a characteristic dark tone that makes them dramatic and especially appropriate for fall and winter. My personal favorite is Farnesiana parfum.

I'm looking forward to hearing what you pick!

Thanks Musse, Lillie, Mercurygirl. I really like the way you think about choosing a perfume that will always be available.

I didn't find a staffed Guerlain counter this weekend, but did sample some completely unmemorable scents, and AP's Maitresse which I liked very much indeed and bought. My other samples haven't arrived yet :toetappingsmiley:

Hypnotic Poison doesn't like me much, but I will look out for Lolita Lempicka and Cartier Delices. hmmmm, that one sounds nice!

:wave: hi everyone. Not been around for a while... but the wedding is only a week away now! My partner is on his stag do this weekend so I'll post a more detailed writeup of what I've tried over the weekend. I'm still really loving Daim Blond, but there's time yet to change my mind (as my male colleagues keep telling me about getting married )

Quote Originally Posted by Elf
    Well, now that you mention Ormonde Jayne, the Woman scent is really lovely, rather dark and mysterious, yet floral enough for a wedding. It's unusual and very Celtic to me. And it's completely unique. Really anything from this perfumery would be lovely.
    I agree with you Elf, this would be perfect!

I usually associate wedding scents with white florals (quite a cliche, but I can't help it). Since it's in the fall, I would suggest the warmer wihte florals, such as:
    Joy in pure parfum is gorgeous and while smelling very pure it is also sultry and warm enough. I really enjoy it in the fall.
    I agree with Mercurygirl - a classic Caron or Chanel is a great idea. Caron's Farnesiana is a gorgeous one, absolutley stunning in pure parfum (mercurygirl, I know will agree with me about that LOL!). Or you may opt for Narcisse Noir if you prefer a darker, slighly leathery orange blossom and narcissus (the parfum is leathery).
    Also Chanel's Gardenia parfum, No. 22, No. 5, Bois de Illes.

Chinatown is another gorgeous, warm scent. The white florals make it suitable for a (passionate) bride, and the spices and patchouli add a unique warmth.

Songes in EDP would be perfect too. It's stunning in my opinion.

Also, I suggest Rochas' Femme (the EDT or EDP both have cumin, and since you like Kingdom, I think you will like this one too). It's very Autumnal.

Parfum Sacre is lyrical, would be a great way to remember your wedding day by... I have the EDP and it's amazing - luxurious, elegant, it's like wearing fur...

From my own line, I think you might like Autumn (a fruity chypre that also has cumin note), Palas Atena (champaca, orange, patchouli and spices) and Razala (tuberose, rose, jasmine, orange blossom, oud, patchouli, ambergris, saffron and pink pepper).
    For warmer white florals - White Potion (soft creamy tuberose), Zohar (sparkling orange blossom over sweet amber) and Tamya (jasmine sambac, ylang ylang, cedar, vanilla and musk).
    Last edited by Ayala; 21st October 2006 at 12:57 AM.
    Ayala Moriel, Perfumer
    Ayala Moriel Parfums http://www.ayalamoriel.com/
    Visit my SmellyBlog: http://www.smellyblog.com/

Waiting for Hebe to return to us from her honeymoon and let us know how it all went and what fragrance she chose for her spacial day. I'm sure it was all wonderful .
    "Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali

I'm back!

We had a fantastic day, the rain held off, and my face hurt from smiling so much. The weather was surpisingly mild and it didn't rain...

In the end I went for Serge Lutens Daim Blond - and a big thanks to Les Scenteurs who got it to me in double quick time (not that I couldn't make my mind up until the last minute or anything... ). It was perfect - stayed close to me, but was gorgeous for all those hugs and kissses and I had many compliments on it. Mr Hebe loved it too, and I shall enjoy wearing it in the future and thinking of my wedding each time.

For the honeymoon, I took Agent Provocateur Maitresse, which was also perfect and worked well in the tropical weather, although I used the Daim Blond on several evenings too.

Thanks to everyone for all their time and ideas. I'm still working my way through all the samples and recommendations, and am quite sure that my wardrobe will be increasing as a result of this thread

My new husband wore Penhaligons Blenheim Bouquet for the wedding, and Love Potion No 9 on honeymoon

If anyone would like a couple of photos please pm me as I don't think I can add them directly.

Oooh! Daim Blond - what a wonderful choice. Deep, sensual, but a ladylike and romantic leather.