Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Default Favorite Etro Scents

For the past three days I have worn a different Etro scent each day.

I have Shaal Nur, Etra, and Royal Pavilion. I have tested out a few others: Messe de Minuit, Palais Jamais, Gomma, Heliotrope, and Sandalo. I know there are others I haven't smelled.

Are there any others of you on Basenotes who have favorite Etro fragrances? Please tell which are your favorites and why. I'm thinking about adding more Etro stuff to my wardrobe.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

Default Re: Favorite Etro Scents

Mahogany is quite interesting. It is unlike anything I have smelt before.
    "Whereof one cannot speak, one must remain silent thereof." --Wittgenstein

Thrax

I do love Messe De Minuit

Serpent

I know it's hackneyed, but Messe de Minuit is phenomenal. I've written it before, but I'll write it again: There are no stoney cathedrals or mystical incense in this scent. I get nothing so lofty. I get chlorinated pool water; the cold, mildewy gust from an air conditioner; the new dust from drywall. It's a very suburban scent in many ways. Or, more specifically, adding the fresh dust, chilled damp air, and chlorinated water together, it smells like the inside of the Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disneyland. I love it. It's so evocative of something so wonderfully magical on such a mundane level. It's the most postmodern fragrance ever made.

While some scents are better than others, I don't think Etro has made a bad scent yet. (I do wish the longevity of most of their product was better.)

Ambra is a wonderful rendition of amber, golden and clear and simple, but as if it were aged, like pure, vintage amber. There is a delicious, foody quality to Heliotrope - a light almond quality that lilts off the skin - but it is crystal clear and never heavy or powdery, a remarkable feat. Royal Pavilion is a traditional green-white floral scent with a wonderful Victorian style, but the leafy notes seem to be giant, like enormous elephant ears and philodendrons from a Rousseau painting, while the white florals have a dessicated, dried floral quality. Perhaps the best, though, is Shaal Nur. Of all the scents to riff on the great Shalimar, this is perhaps the most successful. Shaal Nur takes a twenty-first century approach to the exoticism the old Guerlain proposes, stripping away the Western excesses, substituting exotic florals for jasmine, adding a curl of incense, and cutting the crude orientalist notion of an animal note. It is truly lovely.

Etro has many old fin de siècle loving cups and trophies decorating their boutiques, and this old, Victorian style crashes with a wild, gender-bending, colorful love of old natural oils and tinctures, just like hippies and mods would wear in the late 1960s and early 1970s, and both time periods still greatly inspire the house's fashion and pattern designs. Etro's fragrances are an example of a scent line in near-perfect synchronization with their fashion aesthetic.

My favourite is Vetiver - the rawest vetiver I've come across.
    Anice and Etra I quite like, and Lemon Sorbet is pretty good.
    I can't understand why Shaal-nur and Messe de Minuit are so loved around here.

None of them have good lasting power.
    Renato

Messe de Minuit is my favourite, no contest! I love that museum-like smell...

Other Etros I have and love:
    Gomma - one of my favourite office scents, clean and "efficient", Imperial Leather soap like
    Heliotrope - sweet, powdery and almondy, perfect when the mood strikes
    Lemon Sorbet - about the only lemon scent I like (if you don't count CdG Soda)
    Magot - not "my type" but a lovely scent nevertheless, fruit and floral notes, always gets compliments
    Palais Jamais - the first impression is bitter and green but it's wonderfully relaxing, a true feelgood scent
    Patchouli - one of the very best patchoulis!
    Shaal Nur - this one slightly reminds me of a BIG favourite of mine: Shalimar, but is more of an "everyday" scent
    Vetiver - the vetiver scent that made me "find" vetiver
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Messe de Minuit and Sandalo are my two favorites.

Messe de Minuit and Heliotrope are my favs here, but I've only tried one more and that is Magot. Etro is for sure a house I'd like to discover more in depth.

Heliotrope is a winter fragrance for me, but it is quite cold and clear being an almond and vanilla smell. I haven't used it for quite some time now, maybe it will become my SOTD.

I sampled messe de minuit today. .. on me it smelled like a cat peed in church

If anyone here is interested in buying Mahogany off me, let me know. I got too much of it and I'm afraid it won't become a favorite of mine. A real woodchuck scent, wear it and you compulsively start singing "I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK..."
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

I've not found an Etro perfume I don't love. My favourites are Patchouly (I'm on my second bottle...very odd, this, given that I have never found another patchouli scent I liked), Sandalo and Messe de Minuit (gorgeously evocative - besides the wet stones and incence, I love the smell of damp books in it - it makes me curiously happy). I also like Viccolo Fiori, although I don't wear this as much.

I'm planning to buy Mahogany, Gomma and Ambra some time as well - I've sampled them all and loved all of them. Given that I also own several Etro scarves and a handbag, I suspect that they count on my personal purchases to pay the wages of at least one of their employees every year...

I LOVE Etra. Nice woodsy, peppery smell to it. I also have Messe De Minuit, Sandalo, Ambra, Shaal Nur and some Mahogony. I love them all, especially Shaal Nur. Ambra is a nice amber scent as I think it is well balanced....sweet,, but not sickly. I just got a decant of Sandalo and I think I will wear it tomorrow. I like its creamy, woodiness.
    - Ben -

Top Five:
    Creed Royal Oud; Byredo Black Saffron; Etro Etra; Creed Aventus; Xerjoff Nio

eBay: mississippi_rifleman
    Twitter: Cigar_Ben

Wardrobe

Stogie Review

My favorites: Sandalo and Patchouly. I only wish they had more longevity.
    « L'odeur de rose, faible, grâce au vent léger d'été qui passe, se mêle aux parfums qu'elle a mis.»
    [ Paul Verlaine ]
    Wardrobe

The only one that I own and love is Messe di Minuit.

i don't think anyone's mentioned Anice. i've been wearing it a lot this summer and i love it. the initial blast of anise is very cooling to me and i love the way it tapers down to a really pleasant lightly sweet vanilla that is not cloying at all on the hottest, most humid days. it's a simple pleasure and i don't mind that it doesn't last that long because i like reapplying for the zing of the very top. plus it's not a day-long commitment so i can easily segue to something else.

Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by TheCure
    i don't think anyone's mentioned Anice.
    Renato did, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Serpent
    Renato did, actually.

oh. i totally missed that. thanks. now i don't feel so alone knowing that renato quite likes it also.

Serpent

oh. i totally missed that. thanks. now i don't feel so alone knowing that renato quite likes it also.
    Etro Anice makes the people come together!

Quote Originally Posted by Serpent
    Etro Anice makes the people come together!
    Totally!

Serpent, can i just take this chance to say that i am a huge fan of your reviews and posts. Thank you.

Serpent

Serpent, can i just take this chance to say that i am a huge fan of your reviews and posts. Thank you.
    I just became a huge fan of your posts, too...

Gomma is fairly decent. Sampled it ages ago and contemplated making a full commitment, just never materialized. Very nice leather concoction......

Owned a Lemon Sorbet tester at one point but try as I might, there was no getting past the stale cigarette background.......

They also put out a nicely constructed Patchouly and Vetiver. Somewhat dry, yet still tolerable....
    Last edited by John.com; 25th August 2006 at 04:45 PM.