Code of Conduct

Default filling a masculine gap - tobacco and leather?

I think i'm mising an evening masculine scent and was hoping for some advice

The one's I've got at the moment are
    sweet: jaipur (for the vanilla - not masculine but still nice, before this it was le male and platinum egoiste) ,
    fresh: GIT&Coolwater (for the fresh grassy aquatic etc notes),
    weird and wonderful: tea for two, 212, marc jacobs

And for the evening masculine I've tried D&G pour homme(fave so far) and obsession(got sick of it). Creed's Tabarome is lovely for me to smell in the drydown but finishes too quickly and it not enjoyed by the ladies I've asked so i'm wondering what do i use to fill the masculine gap.

The notes I'm looking for and love are tobacco and leather. I want something evening based that says 'i'm not unisex, and can't be unisex if I tried, this is a fragrance only men should wear'. One which will cause the swoon effect to the ladies and yet is different from the common designer frags which everyone else wears on the weekend.

D&G pour homme again is all i can think of, lemony and then tobacco at the drydown. Any other ideas, is D&G a bit too common still?

Default Re: filling a masculine gap - tobacco and leather?

I would suggest John Varvatos for a sweet leather scent. It is very, very good, IMO.

The one I really would suggest is Bois du Portugal!! It is a creed so you should be farmiliar with their style of smell. It is one of the most many scents of all time, in general. It happens to be exactly what you are looking for so check it out.

PS ~ I love that you have Tea for Two. Wonderful choice.

Le Dandy may fit the bill .

Dan
    "We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."

Daily Wardrobe

Varvatos, for sure.

Cuiron is another lovely leather scent.

The Dreamer has a nice tobacco leaf note in it and I absolutely LOVE it.

You might like to try Michael for Men by Michael Kors ...

Top Notes: Bergamot, Elemi, Cardamom, Tarragon, Star Anise, Thyme, Coriander

Middle Notes: Pipe Tobacco, Suede, Incence

Base Notes: Patchouli, Dark Plum, Sandalwood, Dried Fruits,
    I've trademarked the color bleu

I would get a sample of Montale's Oud Cuir D'Arabie. This could be right up your alley.

Another good one is Feuilles de Tabac by Miller Harris.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by shadesofbleu
    You might like to try Michael for Men by Michael Kors ...

Top Notes: Bergamot, Elemi, Cardamom, Tarragon, Star Anise, Thyme, Coriander

Middle Notes: Pipe Tobacco, Suede, Incence

Base Notes: Patchouli, Dark Plum, Sandalwood, Dried Fruits,

GOD how could I have left that one out? That's one of my favorites!

nothing beats creed royal english leather for black tie type formal events

creeds OV or bdp (bois du portugal) is pretty good for less formal suit type events daytime or evening or even slightly dressed up evening wear

you could also try noir epices by malle, nothing screams masculine like this one...

versailles pour homme also fills this role (and your taste for tobacco notes) but probably hard to get ahold of.

last but not least I know you specifically asked for "not unisex" but i've got to mention caron's tabac blond. even tho this is a womens scent ive gotten nothing but compliments from girls who didn't even believe me after i told them if was a women's perfume. they all said it smelled very manly! think creed's russian leather, but not even close to as harsh... more buttery... definatley much less citrus on the opening... smoothe but not too smoothe. oh man! its the best

Overcome By Fumes

Rochas Macassar

Leather is not always listed among the notes, but it is quite leathery, in addition to having prominent tobacco. Sweet ain't in it. It's not fruity and no one is likely to call it lovely, but it is great!

Aramis - Havana
    Aramis - Aramis
    Chanel - Antaeus (highly recommended)

All great suggestions so far. I own Michael and John Varvatos. Those are great. Check 'em out. The Varvatos has a sweetness in it to give a nice offset.

One I will suggest that may not have been mentioned yet is DK Unleaded. Great tobacco and suede. I have two quibbles with this well-loved scent: 1). Rather costly when you find it due to it's being a discontinued scent (Hello.......? Donna Karan! Wakey wakey!!). 2). It is short lived on my skin.

For a rich tobacco scent, try the ever-popular Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme. Yes.....I know a lot of folks own and wear this. Still a great scent nonetheless.

As an alternate, seek out Realities by Claiborne. I don't think it has tobacco as a note, but it has a tobacco "feel" to it and a lot of folks consider this to be a D&G PH knock-off.

Good luck and have fun!!!

Something I just tried yesterday... Fendi Uomo. Very strong tobacco and leather vibe. Also very cheap. Muy macho!

Quote Originally Posted by zen
    The notes I'm looking for and love are tobacco and leather.
    I suggest Serge Lutens Chergui with notes of tobacco leaf and leather, and also hay, honey, musk, incense, amber, iris, rose, and sandalwood.

Check out the reviews of Chergui in the Basenotes Directory here: http://www.basenotes.net/ID26122261.html

Like most of the Serge Lutens fragrances, Chergui is marketed as unisex, but in my opinion, and the opinion of many others, it comes off as very masculine.
    Last edited by Rockford; 27th August 2006 at 12:27 AM.

You have got to try Knize Ten at least once!!! Not available in department stores but can be found online for quite a reasonable price.

Vintage Tabarome is a longer lasting and more masculine version of Tabarome Millesime if you ask me.

ok well i went and tried loads of them and here's my analysis:

the varavatos, kors, ok but nothing special. in that league i prefer teh vera wang.

miller harris pretty tobaccoey but still not my thing to be honest, it's like very manly but only manly to appeal to other men. Tabarome in the drydown blows it away.

Now I also tried Bois du Portugal and Royal english leather and...
    BdP i wanted to love but it smelled pretty dire, like burning vomit. Horrile honestly, In the drydown it mellowed but it was still nothing special. Royal english leather was much nicer in my opinion, but a bit one dimensional. In the Creed camp GIT rules obvioulsy and hem for me Tabarome in the drydown is wonderful.

sooooo I got D&G PH again. It's nothing special but nicer than the others especially as it can be lemony fresh or tobaccoish masculine depending on the time you wear it. The first time I've bought a perfume twice though...

Cool Re: filling a masculine gap - tobacco and leather?

If you want tobacco and leather, you have to try Knize Ten. VERY, very masculin, heavy tobacco and leather. Powerful scent! But perhaps not for a younger man!?
    NoNonScents!! Getting Ready to Retire....