Code of Conduct

Post Thanks / Like

Default New fall fragrance, long-lasting, sillage, etc.?

Ok, tried Chergui, not to my liking, but my word, it did last 12 hours on the back of my hand. Fumerie is promising. Miller Harris Feuilles de Tabac was good, but not very potent on me and could have been a deeper tobacco - was sort of fresh. Piper Nigrum, very good, just tired of it.

Bois du Portugal by creed lasts well on me, but a bit too sweet/soapish, like Trumpers Spanish Leather. Arabie, yes, a bit too wierd. Ambre Sultan is a possibility. I love the smokiness of Eau Des Iles.

So, I am looking for a fall scent, not heavy on leather, not powdery or vanilla, , not vetiver, but maybe a smokier, deeper, longer lasting Miller Harris Tabac? I like it to project a bit more like the Lutens do. This would be a Holy Grail Search.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New fall fragrance, long-lasting, sillage, etc.?

Guys, if you can make one list of say Macy's/designer stuff and the other a niche list. My wife is going to take me out this evening to check out fall fragrances, and I am sure that I might find something serviceable, but really want to maybe wait and test some of the niche stuff like the Tauer L'Air

Sam

Post Thanks / Like

Have you ever tried Havana? It's not easy to come by but I think it possesses all the traits you seek in a scent.

Thrax

I will keep preaching what I always say Opium PH EDP by YSL

Egoiste? No tobacco though.
    <Shields up>
    Quorum? I find it is heavier in tobacco than leather, but yeah the leather is there.

Consider also Knize Ten, which I think is more of a tobacco frag than leather.
    K
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]MisterK / Vicomte de K / K[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]

Following Marlen's example, I now wear Diptyque's Essence of John Galliano which was released as a room fragrance. Stunning smoky scent by Olivia Giacobetti. You should definitely try it.

S.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by steelyglint
    Following Marlen's example, I now wear Diptyque's Essence of John Galliano which was released as a room fragrance. Stunning smoky scent by Olivia Giacobetti. You should definitely try it.

S.
    Is it "OK" to wear a room fragrance? [EDIT: i.e. on the skin?] It's something that has never occurred to me to do but I'm open to ideas.
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'Hermès | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MisterK
    Egoiste? No tobacco though.
    <Shields up>
    Quorum? I find it is heavier in tobacco than leather, but yeah the leather is there.

Consider also Knize Ten, which I think is more of a tobacco frag than leather.
    K
    I agree with Egoiste and Knize Ten, which I was also going to suggest.

ALSO, Cannabis Santal is great stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Knize Ten was too leathery on me, nice, but too leathery

I will smell Egoiste at the mall. Daughter likes the Platinum version, but wife did not care for either of them.

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Egoiste.

He specifically said that he didn't want vanilla and Egoiste abounds in vanilla.

I can just about stand it, because of the classiness of the composition. Indeed it is probably the only vanilla scent I can accept, and wear.
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'Hermès | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Gucci pour Homme is a great scent for fall. It is not sweet, which you see to go for, and dry like the fall season. The cedarwood is the best part of it. I smell church inscense and pencil shavings. It is really a great scent.

Another would be M7. It just speaks for itself.

Post Thanks / Like

How about Bulgari Black? It has lasted pretty long on me and it is smoky and perfect for fall/winter like you want.

Post Thanks / Like

Went to Macys and Dillards. Gucci Pour Homme was ok, tried Givechy Gentleman (too patchouli), Tommy Bahama original, Polo Black, the Blue Isseys, Baldesserani, Lagerfeld, Bulgari Blue, Egoiste Platinum, Antaeus, Armani Mania and Armani Code, and a few others. On the back of one hand, Armani Code and the other the new Lucky scent. Armani Code was the best of what I tried, and I need to try Gucci Envy if I can find it.

May find some Royal Copenhagen or Royal Copenhagen Musk, or Marc Jacobs, and then who knows.

Still wanna try Noir Epices and the L'Air Desert Morraccan and respray Musc Ravaguer in cooler weather

Post Thanks / Like

I forgot, I have been wanting to try New York by PdN. I was to have gotten a sample and I plum forgot and it never came

Post Thanks / Like

Sultan Safran by CSP might be what you're looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by finsfan
    Ok, tried Chergui, not to my liking, but my word, it did last 12 hours on the back of my hand. Fumerie is promising. Miller Harris Feuilles de Tabac was good, but not very potent on me and could have been a deeper tobacco - was sort of fresh. Piper Nigrum, very good, just tired of it.

Bois du Portugal by creed lasts well on me, but a bit too sweet/soapish, like Trumpers Spanish Leather. Arabie, yes, a bit too wierd. Ambre Sultan is a possibility. I love the smokiness of Eau Des Iles.

So, I am looking for a fall scent, not heavy on leather, not powdery or vanilla, , not vetiver, but maybe a smokier, deeper, longer lasting Miller Harris Tabac? I like it to project a bit more like the Lutens do. This would be a Holy Grail Search.
    "Whereof one cannot speak, one must remain silent thereof." --Wittgenstein

Post Thanks / Like

It's not a new fragrance but, have you tried Rocabar by Hermes?
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

Went to Macys and Dillards. Gucci Pour Homme was ok, tried Givechy Gentleman (too patchouli), Tommy Bahama original, Polo Black, the Blue Isseys, Baldesserani, Lagerfeld, Bulgari Blue, Egoiste Platinum, Antaeus, Armani Mania and Armani Code, and a few others. On the back of one hand, Armani Code and the other the new Lucky scent. Armani Code was the best of what I tried, and I need to try Gucci Envy if I can find it.

May find some Royal Copenhagen or Royal Copenhagen Musk, or Marc Jacobs, and then who knows.

Still wanna try Noir Epices and the L'Air Desert Morraccan and respray Musc Ravaguer in cooler weather
    Thats odd because one of the prominent notes in Armani Code is Tonka which is very similar to vanilla.

I'm actually of similar taste because Vanilla notes tend to be a little cloying to me whereas tonka is smoother and richer.

Post Thanks / Like

if you want leather...how about Andy Tauer's Lonestar Memories? Wonderful smoky leather. It lasts about 10 hours on my skin and dries down to a wonderful incense/wood/leather. Decent sillage as well.

Post Thanks / Like

No leather, please. Rocobar, I liked, Wife did not, and that was a few, three years ago. The Armani Code, she says she likes. I do smell vanilla, and it is a smoother, chocolatier sort of scent. It does not thrill me as much as say Eau Des Iles, but it may be better when weather cools, and right now, it is just on the back of my hand, not getting any heat.

I want to try Gucci Envy if it is at our Macy's. May let her smell a few others.

THe L'Air du Desert Morroccan and the Noir Epices I still want to try. Musk Rav is still gonna get another look. Ill read up on the CSP.

Tea For Two
    Body Kouros

Chene, if you can find it.

Post Thanks / Like

Michael by Michael Kors - tobacco, suede, patchouli, a touch of dried fruit. Strong, masculine, good sillage. It sounds like exactly what you're looking for. It's also cheap and easy to find.

A similar scent is DK Fuel, but it's expensive and impossible to find.

How about Angel Men, Envy or L'Instant?

Post Thanks / Like

fins, I'm surprised that you don't get a ton of projection from the lutens fragrances. You may not be able to smell it due to olfactory fatigue. Ambre Sultan is a good choice and lasts all day. Gucci Envy is a great long-lasting fragrance. Davidoff's relax is also a strong one that lasts and lasts. it's just hard to come by in some areas. PDN New York is another good choice and I hope you can get a decant of it. Also, tumulte by Christian Lacroix is a deep scent. I have only found it at strawberry.net If you want something different from these types of fragrances you could go for Rose D'Homme. Great rose scent that is very masculine and a longevity winner for me. Sorry for the long post but I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.
    If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I help you become that”--Von Goethe

top favorites: bois d'argent, havana, jaipur, amber sultan, fumerie turque, chergui, l'homme sage
    willing to swap/sell everything but my lutens. shoot me a pm

Post Thanks / Like

Some of my autumn staples that you might want to check out are:

M7
    Egoiste (the original one)
    Ungaro III
    Opium EDT
    Tea for Two

Also, I find that Armani Code is really heavy with olive flowers. Personally, I find that fragrance really tiring for some reason but hopefully it's not the case for you - it does have a distinct presence.
    Last edited by myaccolades; 26th August 2006 at 09:27 AM.

Talking Re: New fall fragrance, long-lasting, sillage, etc.?

oof, this thread has made me soooo excited for the fall, i always sort of lose interest in fragrances during the summer, because i find the vast majority of summer fragrances boring, but now it is time to whip out the majestic fall fragrances, easily my favorite season. Welcome back Antaeus and M7!!!

Now i just have to wait until the winter so i can finally pick up some musc. rav.

Post Thanks / Like

Moby: I am going to retry Ambre Sultan. I think I am getting a decant of Noir Epices. Musc Rav was nice but it was not all that longlasting on me and given its price, it needs to be. Ambre lasted twice as long as Musc Rav. One possibility is PdN New York, I found it at beauty habit for $79 and free shipping. Can anyone tell me more about that? Also gonna try the L'Air du Desert Morraccan and some say it is a better Ambre Sultan, and lasts as long and gives about twice as much juice for the price.

Also gonna give Floris Santal a shot I think, - it is on sale until the end of the day at half-price, $35.00.
    Last edited by finsfan; 26th August 2006 at 12:50 PM.

How about l'artisan eau de navagateur should be right up your street.

Post Thanks / Like

Fenton, I did like that, but if I recall, they discontinued that a year ago. If you know where a bottle is, let me know.

Anyone got a bead on maybe a deeper smelling Miller Harris Feiulles de Tabac? By deeper, I mean a bit more depth, same scent, and some longevity. If I could score a bottle cheaper than $100, I might do that.

I am thinking that it is going to be a cheap bottle of Floris Santal, today on sale for $35, and then either Fumerie Turque, the Noir Epices if I sample it, Tauer L'air du Desert Morrocan, Ambre Sultan, or the MIller Harris Tabac. Id love Musc Ravaguer, no chance getting it cheap, and since it is light on me after 3 hours, to me not worth the $$

Sam

Post Thanks / Like

Moby: I am going to retry Ambre Sultan. I think I am getting a decant of Noir Epices. Musc Rav was nice but it was not all that longlasting on me and given its price, it needs to be. Ambre lasted twice as long as Musc Rav. One possibility is PdN New York, I found it at beauty habit for $79 and free shipping. Can anyone tell me more about that? Also gonna try the L'Air du Desert Morraccan and some say it is a better Ambre Sultan, and lasts as long and gives about twice as much juice for the price.

Also gonna give Floris Santal a shot I think, - it is on sale until the end of the day at half-price, $35.00.
    fin, if that l'air is anywhere near close to ambre sultan I'd jump on that in a heartbeat. I don't know how I've come to rationalize buying a 1.69 oz. bottle for 92 bucks. Let me know what you think of it. Thanks.
    If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I help you become that”--Von Goethe

top favorites: bois d'argent, havana, jaipur, amber sultan, fumerie turque, chergui, l'homme sage
    willing to swap/sell everything but my lutens. shoot me a pm