Code of Conduct

Default Clarifying airport laws...(trip to vegas)

I'll be going to Las Vegas for a day trip in October. I'm assuming there will be ample opportunity to shop for fragrances I might not normally have access to.

I have two questions...

1. Does anyone know of a good place to shop for fragrances in Vegas? (hopefully at a discount as opposed to retail)

2. How do I get the stuff home? I've read that you must purchase fragrances in the airport itself in order to take them on the plane. This is just a day trip, so I will only have carry-on baggage (so I can't pack it in my suitcase). I suppose that if there was a post office (or ups) convienient, I could just mail it to myself. Does anyone know of any hoops I might have to jump through in order to make this happen? The last thing I want is to buy something great, only to have to leave it because of the laws.

P.S. - I don't mean for this to turn into a discussion about terrorism or policys that are due to terrorism.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Default Re: Clarifying airport laws...(trip to vegas)

If you're on the strip, then it might be worth your while to stop by the Fashion Show Mall. The Neiman Marcus stocks Serge Lutens exports, Creeds, and L'artisans. As for bringing them back home, from my understanding you can either mail them to yourself or opt for check out.

Yeah, my advice would be to wrap the fragrance boxes in bubble wrap, place them in the center of your carry-on, then check it for the flight home. Your only other alternative is to mail it to youself. Usually your hotel front desk can handle this for you, but since it's a day trip you might not have that option, so my thought is findings a UPS/FedEx/Post Office would be a bigger hassle than just checking your bag for the flight home.

There's a discount mall on the strip, about a mile south of Mandalay Bay on the left as you drive out of town. There's a good discount perfumery there (I forget the name, but if you find a mall map, it's by a food court, opposite Nautica and near Pacific Sunwear). They carry a lot of interesting Guerlains and Caron, and are well worth a rummage. Outside Nieman Marcus, the Fashion Show Mall isn't really good for anything other than the regular department store stuff, but there's a Jo Malone at the Wynn, Penhaligons, Fresh, Etro (clothes but carries all the frags) and an Estee Lauder boutique which carries Azuree in the Forum Shops at Caesars, and a store in Bellagio which stocks luxury goods (next to the conservatory in the same area as the patisserie with the big chocolate fountain) which carries The Different Company. Bellagio also have their own signature scent - I doubt you'll like it!

There are also two branches of Sephora on the strip, one at the Desert Passage and one at the Venetian.

I'm a hopeless Vegas addict - odd for someone who doesn't gamble. Have a wonderful time, and if you get a chance to eat at Red Square at Mandalay Bay, do - it's the sort of place you can go drenched in Guerlinade and feel right at home.

Very informative, weasal. Thats exactly the type of response I was hoping for. I'm sure we'll have tons of things we want to do, but If I can make room for any of this I'll surely check it out. Thanks!
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Oh - and I needed to get round import restrictions to avoid paying duty on a shedful of perfumes I bought in California (actually the CA/NV) border earlier in the year. Not the same as the current situation, but the method and results you need toget round it are similar! I just asked the hotel to post them to me (the customs form marked 'gift' - I am a lying toad) in the UK. They were very helpful, packaged them beautifully and I got everything intact.

Can't you just take a small bag that you can squash into your carry on bag with you. Then, after you buy the scents, put them in the small bag and check it in so that it flies home in the cargo hold?

It'll mean waiting around for it at the terminal, but be cheaper than posting it.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Squeezeweasel
    Have a wonderful time, and if you get a chance to eat at Red Square at Mandalay Bay, do - it's the sort of place you can go drenched in Guerlinade and feel right at home.
    If you do go to the Red Square, get the Chernobyl drink. Stuff goes down like Kool-Aid, but is packed with a punch. There are tons of good places to eat here, just depends on your mood. Right next to the Red Square is the Rum Jungle that has an awesome pit roast.