Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Testing Bois d Portugal currently...

I have a sample vial that I obtained via trade that I am currently testing. Wow! ... This is a formidable fragrance! I somehow hate it and like it at the same time. It is so incredibly pungent and unlike anything on the market (that I've smelled anyway), that I can't form any legitimate reaction yet. I don't even know that I have the courage to try it on! This is a scent that I don't even think I would (could) wear until I was 40 or so. Such a dry, distinct, odd, pungent aroma makes me wonder if this fragrance actually challenges you to wear it (if that makes sense!). What I mean is that 1.) you'd have to "have a pair" to wear it, which 2.) would almost be a proclaimation that you are totally comfortable with yourself and don't fear any type of rejection. I cannot imagine any female liking this fragrance (but before you all jump down my throat, be it known that I'm sure I'm wrong!). On the other hand...It is so distinct and "accurate" that it has already burned a home for itself in my mind. One of those scents that I simply (at least) must have access to. It smells rancid and musty, but delicious and refined at the same time. I don't know what else to say. Comment if you want. Testing will continue.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Testing Bois d Portugal currently...

I get that with Chergui. Something there that compels you and yet, you can not decide if you like or do not like it. It is different, and it draws you in, but is it so different that it would be considered "out there"? Bois du Portugal on me sorta smelled like Spanish Leather in that it was a bit soapy. Very nice though, but less longevity than GIT

Sam

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so undecided also about BdP (having sampled it only from store testers). I agree it is a "courage" thing. You need a certain personality to pull it off really, and I'm not sure I could handle it. It's very bold. But there are some beautiful aspects to it. It's rich, and deep, with complexity of different ideas and associations.
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'Hermès | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews

Post Thanks / Like

BdP is one of the best scents ever made!

That being said, I understand that it's hard to wear. It needs a certain attitude to pull it off.

I have a decant that will probably last me a year.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not afraid to wear it and I'm only 39
    "distinct an accurate." That's how I feel about it. Razor sharp, no muddling, pure and clear. It's a laser sword of a scent - like Blenheim Bouquet. I love these kinds of perfumes.
    Rancid? Wait till you smell an intact sample . honestly, I don't get rancid, while there is that burnt smell (but it's wonderfully spicy wood that's burning).
    This is absolutely for ever in my top 3 and will be worn heavily in fall (thank God I still have 1 and 3/4 bottles). Believe me, a few more days and your gonna be totally hooked.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Post Thanks / Like

I really think this is a brilliant scent. Stictly a one-spritz only job though. When I first bought it I sprayed about 4 or 5 spritzes on. Total knockout to all involved!!!!!
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Quote Originally Posted by pesurf
    Definitely not, if you ask me.

Okey, I`m not putting these many BdP fans down, but this scent just doesn`t do it for me. Not in slightest bit.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PigeonMurderer
    Definitely not, if you ask me.

Okey, I`m not putting these many BdP fans down, but this scent just doesn`t do it for me. Not in slightest bit.
    Hey, it's a free country, well, sort of. But why dost thou like it not, murderer of pigeons?
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Bois du Portugal gets a very special position in my wardrobe. I love the majestic halo that it emanates throughout, from top to basenotes. It is my staple if a woody and spicy fragrance is specially called for.

I save my BdP mainly for special ocasions, although I've worn it under different and varied environments without any discomfort. This, and GIT,have been some of the landmarks that I have much welcomed along my winding smelling experience, so far.
    « L'odeur de rose, faible, grâce au vent léger d'été qui passe, se mêle aux parfums qu'elle a mis.»
    [ Paul Verlaine ]
    Wardrobe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by perfectfeet
    This is a scent that I don't even think I would (could) wear until I was 40 or so.
    I'm 45 myself and do not feel ready to buy or wear it, even though I acknowledge it is stunningly beautiful and almost hypnotic in it's depth and facets. BdP smells to me like a "man's perfume" rather than a "man's cologne". It's so strong, so concentrated. The only thing close in intensity (not note-wise at all), is L'Homme Sage by Divine, which I just about manage to pull off.

Maybe one day I'll get a 30ml bottle of BdP and experiment at weekends and stuff. I'm not in a hurry though. But respect due to a great frag. As I think I said earlier, all my experiences of this are through store testers, so I'm still quite "inexperienced".
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'Hermès | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews

Post Thanks / Like

BdP is quite rich and long lasting. I think overapplication can kill the impressive impression that it usually creates - might be useful to go easy on the number of spritzes.
    -

BdP can be worn with no reservations, stellar scent.
    Probably not a first draft choice in a room of mice however, they can squeak pretty loud.

Post Thanks / Like

I think I could be very attracted to a man who wears this by the way. Just probably wouldn't wear it myself.

(in case y may be wondering I'm gay, no secret, but no big deal either!).

Wardrobe / Reviews

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pesurf

That being said, I understand that it's hard to wear. It needs a certain attitude to pull it off.

I have a decant that will probably last me a year.
    Actually, I went home during lunch and smelled it again and I take back what I previously said!

I'm going to wear this a lot this Winter!

Post Thanks / Like

Rich or not, I don't conserve when I wear this scent. I spray it all over including the back of my knees! I use it generally as an evening fragrance.
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

Post Thanks / Like

I'm nearly 40 and wear it regularly.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

reviews

Post Thanks / Like

Best. Scent. Ever.

Ok, maybe not, but definitely my favorite since I tested it at Neiman's a few months ago. I just snagged the last 8.4 oz bottle from scentiments and I am delighted that it is as good as I remembered. It's incredibly rich, musky, sophisticated, and obscenely formal (though, I did wear it two days in a row... to my high school). Yes yes, I am very young (a senior) but I think this scent fits me very well. My wardrobe is created by bold scents and why not have the boldest as my number one fragrance?

Oh, and if anyone wants any of this stuff, feel free to PM me. I still have about 3 oz of this stuff just waiting to be worn.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Redcomet
    Best. Scent. Ever.

Ok, maybe not, but definitely my favorite since I tested it at Neiman's a few months ago. I just snagged the last 8.4 oz bottle from scentiments and I am delighted that it is as good as I remembered. It's incredibly rich, musky, sophisticated, and obscenely formal (though, I did wear it two days in a row... to my high school). Yes yes, I am very young (a senior) but I think this scent fits me very well. My wardrobe is created by bold scents and why not have the boldest as my number one fragrance?

Oh, and if anyone wants any of this stuff, feel free to PM me. I still have about 3 oz of this stuff just waiting to be worn.
    You have used 5.4 ozs of it!!!!!

reviews

Post Thanks / Like

Wow that is amazing. I think even one spritz of BdP can knock a horse out.

Quote Originally Posted by Redcomet
    Best. Scent. Ever.

"Whereof one cannot speak, one must remain silent thereof." --Wittgenstein

I squirted some on at the fragrance counter my first time through and. . . it stood out as something I liked but I wonder cause today a decant arrived and I have spritzed once or twice and I"m wondering why I was drawn to this. I do'nt think I'm gonna be all that excited about after all...

I'm prematurely offering my 2 scents again having just put it on moments ago but at least I got that much farther than mr feet!

yeah to me now it just smells strong, not otherwise really thrilling me right this minute... but I'll check back in of course. . .
    Last edited by supermarky; 26th August 2006 at 12:24 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder
    You have used 5.4 ozs of it!!!!!
    Yes, I bathe in it regularly. hahaha no, I split the bottle with some other people and I kept 3 oz of it.

I'm 35 and I wear this whenever I want to. Usually to impress, but I would not have any problems wearing it to work or for a lazy sunday afternoon.

I'm with Redcomet - BEST. SCENT. EVER.

At least, It's one of my favourites. It really makes me feel like a MAN when I wear it.

Post Thanks / Like

After actually wearing BdP out last night, I have to retract my statement that it was nearly unwearable. I couldn't get enough of it! I'll be picking up a bottle soon.
    Last edited by Scentronic; 26th August 2006 at 03:17 PM.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

if you want to try something similar to bdp but not quite as rich try penhaligons raquets which can be had very cheaply on ebay.

The comparison to Divine L'Homme Sage is a good one. Throw in Patou while you're at it.

This is the ONLY Creed I own or wear.

Post Thanks / Like

Seems odd to be posting in an elderly thread like this, but I tried BdP for the first time this past weekend.

It seemed very old fashioned to me - not in a bad way, but just in a way that I don't particularly like. And once it settled in, I kept getting hints of some kind of "granny" smell - it's pretty sweet once everything is said and done.

Post Thanks / Like

I love BdP, but its composition remains a mystery to me: can anybody tell the ingredients ? It's clearly resinous (rather than woody-woody) and spicy, but what resins, what spices, and what else ?

Post Thanks / Like

The only part I like about BdP is the drydown. It has a nice floral accord going on that isn't too heavy. The topnotes on the other hand are a different story. I find the opening too harsh and "perfumey". Overspray and you'll end up gaining the reputation as the "cologne guy" by your peers.

Quote Originally Posted by marco
    I love BdP, but its composition remains a mystery to me: can anybody tell the ingredients ? It's clearly resinous (rather than woody-woody) and spicy, but what resins, what spices, and what else ?
    I sort had it figured out once. Lemme think. Um...

Lavender, jasmine, ginger, cedar, tonka, and something funky (possibly civet? hell if I know) are what I remember.

I was pumped when I arrived home today and saw sticking out of the mailbox my sample of Bdp. I opened it carefully and just lustfully looking, put it down.
    I thought maybe waiting and opening a nice bottle of wine.....then savoring the moment. I couldn't wait! I have heard and read so much about Bdp. I was waiting for the heavens to open up.......still waiting! Could I be missing something?
    My mad initial observation was very perfumey. Forgive me for the comparisons
    but my first thoughts were it has the sharpness to Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree. It also somewhat reminded me of Jean Pascal. Just very perfumey and sharp. When it softens in the drydown it is less sharp and more spicy but that initial sharpness prevails. I agree with many that it is good even great, but I could never see myself wearing it. I know it's all subjective..(sorry Frankie Baby)....but the Great and Mighty Bdp just dosn't do it for me.
    Now something I find so rich and lush right now is the new Burberry London...
    It is a truly gorgeous scent. Just me opinion....send in the lynch mob!

My first experience with BdP wasnt that great either. It was a decant so I waited before reaching conclusions about it, decants can sometimes be off. When a Creed bottle arrived...completely different story. It is now one of my favorites, although many people cant really appreciate it.
    I also like hell for strong french roast Kenya AA coffee, 80% Dark Valhrona chocolate, 12ga Shotguns, Insanely fast sport bikes and a whole list of over the top predilections that most people would pass on, so it truly is a matter of preference. Bois du Portugal is one of those robust full tilt scents that will probably never appeal to most people.
    That might be one of the reasons I like it. Czech & Speake No88 is also in the same league, although its an entirely different scent.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bad_Dawg
    Bois du Portugal is one of those robust full tilt scents that will probably never appeal to most people.
    That might be one of the reasons I really like it. Czech & Speake No88 is also in the same league, although its an entirely different scent.
    Perhaps BdP is rated a bit too highly here. It is an excellent fragrance, but I find myself reaching for Acier Aluminium, REL, GIT and MI more frequently.
    -

I, too, was disappointed when I tried BdP last January. I had such high hopes, but when I tried my sampler all I got was pungent lavender overkill! I do appreciate the scent's unique personality - I just wouldn't want to wear it.

Post Thanks / Like

I wish I could wear BdP - but I don't feel like I live up to it. At first whiff I thought it smelled old and stuffy, but now I think it is liquid class. The lavender opening can be a bit of a challenge, but once it mellows and blends with all the delicious woods and spices this scent goes sublime. It is a little mature for me (23), but I certainly hope to "grow into it" someday.