Code of Conduct

Default Spraying frags in your hair?

Is it any different from spraying it on your skin?

Default Re: Spraying frags in your hair?

Dude, hair is very porous and will grab hold of the scent and won't let go. The problem with hair on your head is that it is very close to your nose. The reason this isn't good is that the scent receptors fill up in your nose and then you can't smell it any more. Much better to spray on chest hair or on tummy or wrists or hands. That way it isn't so close to your face.

I always spritz the back of my hair a touch, and then more on the neck below (mind you I spray practically everywhere, all over!). Never the front hair though, there is the risk of getting it on your face, and you definitely don't want that.

If you want to do the front, top or sides, I would suggest spraying your hands, then rubbing your hands through your hair (as if applying gel or whatever). That avoids the risks of facial contact.
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'Hermès | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by paintrman
    ....hair is very porous and will grab hold of the scent and won't let go.....
    Isn't that a "plus" though, in terms of helping longevity? I do it all the time (on the back of my hair as I mentioned in my previous post), and love the effect. The lovely part is that when you turn your head for any reason, you pick up the sillage trailing off the back. Mmmmm!
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'Hermès | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews

I do the same thing occasionally (spray the back of my head).
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Anyway the answer to the question of "Is it any different from spraying it on your skin?": I think paintrman summed it up in saying that it is "close to your nose". That is the essential difference. You better be a lover of smelling your own sillage non-stop (like me!) or you're in for a difficult day.

EDIT: spraying specifically the back of the head avoids to some extent the "scent receptors fill-up" problem, because you only get the blast now and then.
    Last edited by GenuineImitationLife; 25th August 2006 at 07:00 PM.

Wardrobe / Reviews

I feel like girls do it and it works because they have long hair, and when their hair sways in the wind more of the scent comes out. That would help longevity. For men, I don't think it would work. I just don't see the reason. You can't smell the top of your head so that would imply wearing perfume purely for others to smell you and that is not what I do. I wear it for me so I like it under my nose.

Quote Originally Posted by EnvYuS
    I feel like girls do it and it works because they have long hair, and when their hair sways in the wind more of the scent comes out. That would help longevity. For men, I don't think it would work. I just don't see the reason. You can't smell the top of your head so that would imply wearing perfume purely for others to smell you and that is not what I do. I wear it for me so I like it under my nose.
    Hang on a minute. Maybe I've had too many beers or something. Am I reading this right? You wear scent directly "under your nose"???

On your upper lip? Surely not!!!

If I'm wildly confused, please feel free to correct me.

Wardrobe / Reviews

It's funny this would be asked as I have noticed that a frag sprayed on my outer(the hairy area) arms and hands last's longer than that which is sprayed on bare skin .

Dan
    "We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."

Daily Wardrobe

Quote Originally Posted by GenuineImitationLife
    Hang on a minute. Maybe I've had too many beers or something. Am I reading this right? You wear scent directly "under your nose"???

On your upper lip? Surely not!!!

If I'm wildly confused, please feel free to correct me.
    Hahah! Oh, no! I would never do that. My girlfriends would not be happy with that.

I wear it on my neck and chest. It is not directly under my nose like my lip but it wafts upward to my nostrils.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightninrod
    It's funny this would be asked as I have noticed that a frag sprayed on my outer(the hairy area) arms and hands last's longer than that which is sprayed on bare skin .

Dan
    Yes I have observed that too !
    -

Hahah! Oh, no! I would never do that. My girlfriends would not be happy with that.

I wear it on my neck and chest. It is not directly under my nose like my lip but it wafts upward to my nostrils.
    Thank goodness for that

Wardrobe / Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Lightninrod

Dan
    Well, my armpits are a bit hairy, and I've noticed that if I spray scent there, it seems to linger

Wardrobe / Reviews

I've been thinking of spraying on my hair so the scent does not get on my clothes. And it seems like more would drift up from the chest then come around from the back or top of the head. But I have not tested this.

I can't wait till you move in on sunday! I am so excited to see your majestic box of fragrances again

I do this regularly and don't find it annoying or that it has more staying power or intensity. I actually prefer it compared to spray it onto my chest area. But if it's A*Men i'd rather spray my ankles!
    The only drawback, would be that scents have lots of alcohol and it may dry out your hair, so i wear it after i put some kind of protective "scentless" pomade or cream or whatever to kind of "seal" it.
    Another good point is that the sillage is a little more noticeable.

Just don't do it.

If I'm testing a scent and not too sure about it, I only spray it on my hand or arm. If I love a scent, I spray some up in the air and walk through the mist, waving my arms so they catch the scent, too. It's all there, but barely, and provides a nice aura even in my hair. If you sprayed it directly on your head, ugh. I am a woman and would never do that, but I am also not the type who thinks everyone must smell me in their face wherever I go. I only care if I smell clean to other people and the fragrance is basically for me.

<busily sprays back of hair> :bounce:

Wardrobe / Reviews

Here's a question: does spraying the hair make it look any greasier than usual? Obviously, it doesn't matter if you're using some kind of pomade or wax anyway, but I go for more of a matte look up there, and I wonder if the oils in the cologne would spoil that.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Cool Re: Spraying frags in your hair?

Quote Originally Posted by KingMist
    Is it any different from spraying it on your skin?
    In my case, not very different from spraying it on my scalp-skin...

I had a girl who sprayed in her hair. I would always smell it when I gave her a hug, even days later. I think there is something to spraying hair, but I change fragrances daily. To avoid cross contamination, I would have to wash my hair daily.

I'd never do it - as already pointed out, it can dry out your hair and scalp, which can cause itchiness/irritation.

But just as important, hair is a dirt/oil/dust magnet, and so any fragrance sprayed on is probably going to turn funky (not in a good way) really quick. Also, if you're styling your hair, I wouldn't want to turn a blow dryer on the fragrance (could distort the scent), nor would you want to spray after blowdrying, in case it just frizzed you up again. It would of course also clash with other styling products (which are often strong scented and grimy).

The only possible exceptions: if your head is clippered/shaved (like mine) or bald!

I sport either a close-cropped, military style burr OR a completely shaved head 99% of the time. Still, I often spritz on my temple pulse points, so that's pretty much the same as spraying onto hair, wouldn't you say?

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Tajsmellsgood
    To avoid cross contamination
    LOL, we're not talking about laboratory handling of bottled viruses here dude. when there is nothing but base notes left (i.e. the next day), this will generally mix with anything, and will usually make whatever you are wearing that current day better.