Code of Conduct

Thread: House or Nose ?

Lightbulb House or Nose ?

Seeing the House Referendum sticky note on the forum, I was wondering whether it would be a good idea to have a "Nose referendum" also.

Houses like L'Artisan, YSL, Caron, Bond no. 9, Malle (amongst others) dont have a dedicated nose to create their fragrances (unlike Hermes, Creed, etc.). So, in the case of the aforementioned houses, if you dig a level deeper, its actually the creations of the famous noses that you are actually appreciating. A fan of Pierre Bourdon's work would seek out his fragrances no matter what the house. An analogy can be drawn with hollywood stars - they work under/for different directors/film companies, but they maintain their own fan base.

Or is it the case that very few perfume houses have dedicated perfumers ?
    -

Default Re: House or Nose ?

I like this idea, but it is very difficult to find out which frags a nose has composed or which nose has made a particular frag (apart from creed or malle where it's public, and others too I'm sure).
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder
    I like this idea, but it is very difficult to find out which frags a nose has composed or which nose has made a particular frag (apart from creed or malle where it's public, and others too I'm sure).
    Ha ha, I guess my thread got lost amongst all the GIT/Creed/Ebay/Exotic Dancer threads
    -

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder
    Hi, its easy to check that in the directory, you simply select a perfume and last on the list on the left hand side are more fragrances composed by that particular perfumer. Try Jean Claude Ellena for example...
    (I'm assuming you meant a directory search)

I think it is a better idea than the house referendum; brands can be utterly inconsistent, but noses tend to be a different story.
    In rotation: Greenbriar (new), Silver Mountain Water, Dunhill for Men (1934), Acqua di Parma Colonia, Habit Rouge EDC, Ho Hang, B*Men, Agua Brava

Once you start off with collecting various fragrances, its intimidating enough with all the choices available - only after a few months of nose experience and basenotes discussion do you come to know the various "noses", although i still think that on the forums, its mainly the houses that are discussed and note the noses.
    -