Code of Conduct

Default please, sugest on Hermes

I do not have anything from Hermes. But I think, I should.

I am thinking about Terre d'hermes

Yesterday I've read a very interesting article about the creation process of Jardin sur le Nil. It was so ineresting to read

http://www.chandlerburr.com/articles/chandlerdetail.htm
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Default Re: please, sugest on Hermes

Hi!

I personally didn't love Terre d'Hermès, but it isn't bad. The opening and the first hour i didn't like, afterwards it got better. The basenotes are nice.
    I own Hiris which iswonderful. It's herbal and a bit sweet and doughy. I love it. You should try it. Although the lasting power isn't that great.

ciao!

Looking at your wardrobe, i would suggest Rocabar and Équipage, but if you want to change, please try Un Jardin sur le Nil, Un jardin en Méditerranée or Eau de Merveilles.

Talking Re: please, sugest on Hermes

I like Terre, but thats it I just like it.

Hmmm, I think I would go with Hiris. Very smooth!

Quote Originally Posted by DreamerII
    I do not have anything from Hermes. But I think, I should.

I am thinking about Terre d'hermes

Yesterday I've read a very interesting article about the creation process of Jardin sur le Nil. It was so ineresting to read

http://www.chandlerburr.com/articles/chandlerdetail.htm
    I've just tried Terre this morning, have been sniffing it for about 4 hours. I couldn't catch the (for me at least) obvious resemblance, whilst I read in a review: Declaration. The drydown is the closest to it, so if you like Declaration probably you will like Terre too. The other resemblance to Jardin sur le Nil is needless to say.
    Simply put, a nice, citrusy scent, but if you like Chanel PM, possibly should try first Hermes Equipage.

First of all, I wouldn't buy something from Hermes just because "you want to own one of their fragrances". They certainly have amazing scents but picking a scent based on marketing isn't really worth it, IMO. Please do excuse me if this is not the case.

I'd say try to sample them and see if it happens to suit you. As suggested, Equipage and Rocabar could work. Good luck and enjoy!
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

Quote Originally Posted by castorpollux
    Looking at your wardrobe, i would suggest Rocabar and Équipage, but if you want to change, please try Un Jardin sur le Nil, Un jardin en Méditerranée or Eau de Merveilles.

Yes, I want TO CHANGE

I want something for every day

Well, I have pour monsieur, Vetiver, Kouros- which can be used in early mornings
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Quote Originally Posted by BrothaG
    First of all, I wouldn't buy something from Hermes just because "you want to own one of their fragrances". They certainly have amazing scents but picking a scent based on marketing isn't really worth it, IMO. Please do excuse me if this is not the case.

I'd say try to sample them and see if it happens to suit you. As suggested, Equipage and Rocabar could work. Good luck and enjoy!

It's not bad to have a scent from a house, because they have some signiture scents, signiture line

it's clear felt is serge lutens, l'artisan

i' ve tryed terre, un jardin sur le nil,- but only once, a month ago on a paper strip in London

quite nice, fresh, but not trivial scents. But, as I said, from the first sniff I can not decide what to choose

here in Vilnius there are no Hermes perfumes

Serpent

It's never good to buy a company's scent just to own something of theirs. Buy a scent because you like how it smells on you. That said, I would recommend beginning with Eau d'Hermès, the company's very first and still most versatile fragrance.

Eau d'Hermès has citrus, lavender, spice, florals, wood notes, leather, and a subtle sweet vanilla base. It's light enough for warmer weather, rich enough for cooler weather, a true multipurpose fragrance. It's a very easy scent to wear, one that doesn't need to be dressed up but can be if required. If there is one scent to own from Hermès, it's this one. Created by the legendary Edmond Roudnitska (Femme de Rochas, Eau Sauvage), the idea was to replicate the smell of the inside of an Hermès leather handbag. The result is elegant, classic, effortless luxury with a touch of the exotic that is characteristically Hermès.

Quote Originally Posted by DreamerII
    It's not bad to have a scent from a house, because they have some signiture scents, signiture line

it's clear felt is serge lutens, l'artisan

i' ve tryed terre, un jardin sur le nil,- but only once, a month ago on a paper strip in London

quite nice, fresh, but not trivial scents. But, as I said, from the first sniff I can not decide what to choose

here in Vilnius there are no Hermes perfumes
    I'm sorry to read that you cannot get the Hermès range where you live. They are a great collection of scents, especially the more recent ones created for Hermès by Jean-Claude Ellena. Terre d'Hermès most certainly, but also both of the "jardins" and the Hermèssence range, such as the wonderful Ambre Narguilé with its rich coffee and caramel notes.

If you happen to come to London again at any time in the near future, visit the Hermès store in Bond Street; they have the whole range and are also very generous at giving out samples.

I hope you manage to get something from Hermès soon, Dreamer, but as other posters have said, don't just get it in order to get something from the house; make sure you like it first. I also enjoyed that Chandler Burr article about the creation of Un Jardin sur le Nil by the way!
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'Hermès | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews

My suggestion, especially if you want something wearable for everyday, would be Equipage, a very elegant, sophisticated yet versatile scent, perfect for almost any occasion, plus it works well in almost all climates.

I have several from this house and the one I keep coming back to is Eau des Merveilles. It's absolutely wonderful. Smells like ambergris and suntan lotion. It's a very unisex scent. I smile when I get a whiff of this.

I love Eau d'Hermes but you better sample that one before you buy it - the cumin note makes it a bit of a love it or hate it scent, though also be aware that the topnotes mellow pretty quickly.

Hermes is a great house. Versatile in the range as well.
    My suggestions are Hiris which is just spectacular in every respect and Bel Ami which is a bit more challenging but delicious.
    m

The only Hermes I have (and like) is Concentree D'Orange Verte. People claim it to be very fleeting (low longevity), but one day I wore it and the next day (without reapplication!) my gf said I smell of orange. Applied generously it's a very refreshing, slightly green spring-summer-fall scent imo.

I agree with both Serpent's review and with baron's caveat re: cumin.

Equipage would be a gentler introduction but personally I think EdH is an infinitely better fragrance. For what it tries to be, Equipage comes across dulled and I prefer English Leather to it.

EdH manages to be dirty (cumin) and clean (lavender) at the same time. Masterpiece of straddling. I would have thought my wife would hate this one on me, but she quite likes it.
    K
    Last edited by MisterK; 27th August 2006 at 05:03 AM.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]MisterK / Vicomte de K / K[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]