Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 31 to 50 of 50
  1. #31

    Default Re: GIT vs. Coolwater -- Afraid to see.....

    I can prove I wasn't smelling cool water. at 1 am I was walking through this post apocalyptic landscape of this street fair that had closed down for the night tonight and it was completely desolate. I could have helped myself to a bunch of stuffed animals if I'd wanted.

    unless someone just threw one of those cheap things (bottle of cool water) into the gutter !

    anyway I shoudl have quoted bette davis (Again) re the cool water/GIT controversy "I have very simple tatstes; I'm always satisfied by the best."

    oh about that point that since Pierre Bourdon went on to be so important that means CW is not a knockoff, I see it more as though CW was one of those works artists do to demonstrate first off their mastery of what's come before them. usually this is early in the career I suppose. not sure how it fits into his chronology, it's impressive to imitate something so well, if not as impressive as it is to create something new.

  2. #32
    zztopp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    the Dirty South
    Posts
    6,648

    Default Re: GIT vs. Coolwater -- Afraid to see.....

    Quote Originally Posted by supermarky
    I can prove I wasn't smelling cool water. at 1 am I was walking through this post apocalyptic landscape of this street fair that had closed down for the night tonight and it was completely desolate. I could have helped myself to a bunch of stuffed animals if I'd wanted.

    unless someone just threw one of those cheap things (bottle of cool water) into the gutter !

    anyway I shoudl have quoted bette davis (Again) re the cool water/GIT controversy "I have very simple tatstes; I'm always satisfied by the best."

    oh about that point that since Pierre Bourdon went on to be so important that means CW is not a knockoff, I see it more as though CW was one of those works artists do to demonstrate first off their mastery of what's come before them. usually this is early in the career I suppose. not sure how it fits into his chronology, it's impressive to imitate something so well, if not as impressive as it is to create something new.
    Pierre Bourdon .. the nose that created Kouros (inspired by Orange Spice), and Cool Water (inspired by Green Irish Tweed). A big Creed fan, I bet.
    -

  3. #33

    Default Re: GIT vs. Coolwater -- Afraid to see.....

    Quote Originally Posted by supermarky
    I can prove I wasn't smelling cool water. at 1 am I was walking through this post apocalyptic landscape of this street fair that had closed down for the night tonight and it was completely desolate. I could have helped myself to a bunch of stuffed animals if I'd wanted.

    unless someone just threw one of those cheap things (bottle of cool water) into the gutter !

    anyway I shoudl have quoted bette davis (Again) re the cool water/GIT controversy "I have very simple tatstes; I'm always satisfied by the best."

    oh about that point that since Pierre Bourdon went on to be so important that means CW is not a knockoff, I see it more as though CW was one of those works artists do to demonstrate first off their mastery of what's come before them. usually this is early in the career I suppose. not sure how it fits into his chronology, it's impressive to imitate something so well, if not as impressive as it is to create something new.
    Was he not the guy who loved Orange Spice and made his own version for YsL called Kouros? I am sure he must of done the same thing with GIT and CW which looks obvious.
    "...but I also can't prove that mushrooms could not be intergalactic spaceships spying on us." Daniel C. Dennett

    Top 5
    1.
    Heritage 2. Antaeus3.Kouros 4. Drakkar Noir 5. Montana PDH

  4. #34

    Default Re: GIT vs. Coolwater -- Afraid to see.....

    GIT vs Curve
    ************

    I am really struck by how similar Curve smells to Creed's Green Irish Tweed! This has been mentioned before but i was a bit sceptical because i kept thinking, how can a mass marketed scent smell so similar to a legendary Creed! I've gotten into collecting Creed recently and the association just simply refuses to connect for me. My first impression was that GIT and Curve are very similar, definitely in the same family. Upon closer inspection/testing i've found:

    Curve lacks the projection ability of GIT. I sprayed 2 spritz of Curve on my chest and 2 on each wrist, put on my clothes and went out to do some shopping. Nothing! I barely got a drift of scent from my wrists but nothing emanated from my clothes. The "Caron 3rd Man" effect just wasn't there! Last night i tried the same thing with GIT. Frankly, i expected a resounding success and i wasn't disappointed. Some Creeds may have longevity issues on some people, but none i've tried have had problems with producing sillage IMO. I went out last night to an all-night cafe wearing just two spritz of GIT on my chest and it was pumping out plumes of GIT notes throughout. My pals noticed it, their girlfriends noticed it even more!

    So, the question now is: Is GIT a more potent/concentrated Curve or is Curve the poor man's GIT? While GIT has a citric topnote that turns green rapidly, Curve goes straight to the point of being green with a slightly vanillic base that mimics the sandalwood + ambergris base of GIT. Upon application, Curve immediately expands its notes, like a Chinaman spreading his wares on the sidewalk of Chinatown, while GIT (and most Creeds) prefers to keep things strictly regimented. You get one dominant note, it subsides and you get another and another and so on, like buying jewellery. You could say that GIT does it with style and panache while Curve exudes youthful exuberance and brashful energy. Being exuberant, Curve also tires itself out faster and doesn't last as long as GIT, spritz vs spritz. GIT takes its time, nice and slow, playing out a mellow soulful tune before hitting the basenotes. I think this is the attraction for the opposite sex. GIT promises a prolonged engagement of a pleasurable encounter. Afterall, why does GIT attract men of substance like Clint Eastwood and Robert Redford? Like attracts like IMO.

    The problem now is: With the availability of Curve, is GIT worth it? Tough one to answer. I have both and can see situational applications for them but i came by both by accident. I had to try out the legendary Creed in my lifetime (Eastwood and Redford being two of my fav actors of all time) and the Curve is a rare scent in my country, hard to come by plus nothing in the mainstream smells quite like these two. In terms of situational use, yes i believe they have a particular niche area, i'd use Curve for a day outing exclusively, while GIT for evening wear and more serious stuff where i want to feel special and confident and flirt. But what adds fuel to the fire is the price and questions of value that will inevitably cross the minds of discerning buyers with limited budgets for scents. I will go out on the limb here and say go for the GIT over the Curve. Narrow the price gap by buying from Ebay or do what i did, swap with a basenoter of excellent repute. I will not go into the debate of "buying retail for peace of mind&quot" because i think you can spot a fake Creed a mile away, the Creed note being the first thing you look for unless it's a vintage line. But if you already have Curve, and think it's the beez kneez, finish that bottle unless like me, you want to explore the significance of GIT.

  5. #35

    Default Re: GIT vs. Coolwater -- Afraid to see.....

    Only the opening of Curve smells a BIT like GIT, but the drydown smells like Eternity, Curve is more of a sweeter and more mossy Eternity rippoff than anything close to GIT.
    "...but I also can't prove that mushrooms could not be intergalactic spaceships spying on us." Daniel C. Dennett

    Top 5
    1.
    Heritage 2. Antaeus3.Kouros 4. Drakkar Noir 5. Montana PDH

  6. #36

    Talking Re: GIT vs. Coolwater -- Afraid to see.....

    don't forget pierre bourdon's other masterpieces which shall remain nameless but can be easily referenced. . .

    anyway still have yet to try either but certainly the resemblance to orange spice of kouros is of a different order than that of GIT to kewl water I meant they don't call it orange eau de mensroom do they?

    you have to bow down to genius that audaciously uses the urinal cake note and makes it a big hit that is still sold even if like me you haven't even smelled it yet, outside of a urinal that is...
    Last edited by supermarky; 27th August 2006 at 09:23 PM.

  7. #37

    Default Re: GIT vs. Coolwater -- Afraid to see.....

    the name curve is so hideous, what is it supposed to mean? I would sooner have a bottle saying "cumming" any day

    interesting too that the debate often mentions curve but never goes into much detail since curve is definitely the 3rd generation knock off and, I think, despised as such, whatever it may smell like
    Last edited by supermarky; 27th August 2006 at 09:30 PM.

  8. #38

    Default Re: GIT vs. Coolwater -- Afraid to see.....

    Quote Originally Posted by supermarky
    the name curve is so hideous, what is it supposed to mean? I would sooner have a bottle saying "cumming" any day

    interesting too that the debate often mentions curve but never goes into much detail since curve is definitely the 3rd generation knock off and, I think, despised as such, whatever it may smell like
    Forget the name, the marketing or the hype. Focus on the juice. That's all that matters. If there's such a thing as a "holy grail" of scent, you're not likely to find it if you let factors other than the juice influence your judgement.

  9. #39

    Default Re: GIT vs. Coolwater -- Afraid to see.....

    no, I think that's impossible. it's just the nature of fandom. as roland barthes said "the label incites desire" and he's right!

  10. #40

    Default Re: GIT vs. Coolwater -- Afraid to see.....

    Quote Originally Posted by zztopp
    Pierre Bourdon .. the nose that created Kouros (inspired by Orange Spice), and Cool Water (inspired by Green Irish Tweed). A big Creed fan, I bet.
    What makes you think Kouros is "inspired by Orange Spice". Of the thousands of frags created since 1950, Bourdon had to be inspired by Orange Spice? You do realise there is a 30 year gap between the creation of Orange Spice and Kouros. In that case, i can say that Kouros is more correctly inspired by Fougere Royale (1882).

    Btw, did you know that Orange Spice(1950) was inspired by Old Spice (1937).

  11. #41

    Default Re: GIT vs. Coolwater -- Afraid to see.....

    Quote Originally Posted by supermarky
    no, I think that's impossible. it's just the nature of fandom. as roland barthes said "the label incites desire" and he's right!
    I agree, and the "label" of fragrances is its scent. All else are just signifiers to the thing being signified, mere simulacrum. Stick to the real, the thing-in-itself. Break free from the shackles of the mass man mentality (fandom), and become a true afficianado/connoisseur. Respect the art, not the hype.

  12. #42
    DustB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    9,210

    Default Re: GIT vs. Coolwater -- Afraid to see.....

    Quote Originally Posted by zztopp
    Pierre Bourdon .. the nose that created Kouros (inspired by Orange Spice), and Cool Water (inspired by Green Irish Tweed). A big Creed fan, I bet.
    (People and members here remark on similarities, but I think it goes beyond anyone here's knowledge to state matter-of-factly that any perfumer executed a creation directly inspired by another. I'd have to see where claims like this come from.
    --Chris)
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

  13. #43
    zztopp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    the Dirty South
    Posts
    6,648

    Default Re: GIT vs. Coolwater -- Afraid to see.....

    Quote Originally Posted by DustB
    (People and members here remark on similarities, but I think it goes beyond anyone here's knowledge to state matter-of-factly that any perfumer executed a creation directly inspired by another. I'd have to see where claims like this come from.
    --Chris)
    One of the members mentioned that he was a fan of Orange Spice, in the reviews or here in the forum. I dont recall exactly where. Still, I like Kouros.
    -

  14. #44

    Default Re: GIT vs. Coolwater -- Afraid to see.....

    I do feel that they are alike.... and I believe that they are alike for about 30 minutes and then things start to change.
    I must agree with you...many people are afraid of the truth...afraid of what is obvious...and that is really sad.
    I also have felt that Pleasures for men tries to accomplish the same thing as GIT and Cool Water. Of course they are not the same....but to an untrained nose it would be very difficult to tell the difference.
    The obvious is just that...obvious...to say anything else really helps to prove the point.
    Gary

  15. #45

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    673

    Default Re: GIT vs. Coolwater -- Afraid to see.....

    The first time I ever smelled GIT I had no idea who Creed was (I had almost no idea there were even "niche" companies, I thought frags started and ended with designers). I was an owner of Drakar Noir, CW, Tuscany, Pasha and that's about it.

    I walked into Purfumes Raffy just to get a good deal on some new designer frag and I was offered a sample of GIT. It was like "oh my god, what's this?!" I wasn't swayed by Creed's reputation, their exclusivity, their history or anything else since I had no knowledge of any of that. When Raffy told me how much it cost, I immediately said " I can tell why!" There was no question in my mind that it was something special and it even got better as it developed.

    If you get a steak at Sizzler and one from Flemmings, at first they both look very similar and they both may even smell a little similar, but anyone with a reasonable palate can tell the difference in taste, there is a reason why the Flemmings steak is 4-5 times the price! If you're happy with a steak from Sizzler, that fine. Just don't try convince those that think it's worth paying 4 times the price for one from Flemmings are eating something that is "overrated" and that one from Sizzler is too similar to justify the price.

  16. #46

    Default Re: GIT vs. Coolwater -- Afraid to see.....

    Quote Originally Posted by pesurf
    The first time I ever smelled GIT I had no idea who Creed was (I had almost no idea there were even "niche" companies, I thought frags started and ended with designers). I was an owner of Drakar Noir, CW, Tuscany, Pasha and that's about it.

    I walked into Purfumes Raffy just to get a good deal on some new designer frag and I was offered a sample of GIT. It was like "oh my god, what's this?!" I wasn't swayed by Creed's reputation, their exclusivity, their history or anything else since I had no knowledge of any of that. When Raffy told me how much it cost, I immediately said " I can tell why!" There was no question in my mind that it was something special and it even got better as it developed.

    If you get a steak at Sizzler and one from Flemmings, at first they both look very similar and they both may even smell a little similar, but anyone with a reasonable palate can tell the difference in taste, there is a reason why the Flemmings steak is 4-5 times the price! If you're happy with a steak from Sizzler, that fine. Just don't try convince those that think it's worth paying 4 times the price for one from Flemmings are eating something that is "overrated" and that one from Sizzler is too similar to justify the price.




    This is a pretty bad example. There is a large objectifiable difference between an $8 steak and a $35 steak. One is clearly better than the other under generally recognized criteria. Now, I really don't think that can apply here -- there is nothing objectively better about GIT over CW. If one is lighter, the other "greener" some may prefer it that way. I firmly beleive that if Creed put out GIT and Davidoff put out CW, the contours of this debate would be identical. My question to you is, when you walked into Raffy, had you ever smelled CW? If not, you may have thought that CW was great (I sure did when I first experienced CW). If you had known of CW, I'd be pretty surprised if you thought GIT was completely different.

  17. #47

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    673

    Default Re: GIT vs. Coolwater -- Afraid to see.....

    Quote Originally Posted by wxman
    This is a pretty bad example. There is a large objectifiable difference between an $8 steak and a $35 steak. One is clearly better than the other under generally recognized criteria. Now, I really don't think that can apply here -- there is nothing objectively better about GIT over CW. If one is lighter, the other "greener" some may prefer it that way. I firmly beleive that if Creed put out GIT and Davidoff put out CW, the contours of this debate would be identical. My question to you is, when you walked into Raffy, had you ever smelled CW? If not, you may have thought that CW was great (I sure did when I first experienced CW). If you had known of CW, I'd be pretty surprised if you thought GIT was completely different.
    CW was my daily scent (it lasted about 2 hours on me)! If you re-read my post that you quoted above, you'll see that I list it as well as Tuscany, Drakar and Pasha.

    I guess until I read about the similarities at Basenotes, I never paid much attention to the superficial similarities in the opening of the 2, I'm much more into the drydown and development of a scent, since that's where I spend the most time with it.

    Maybe an analogy using wine would have been better since there is no way to know the quality of the grapes used, what kind of barrels it was aged in and for how long, and how creative the wine maker is. All we have to go on is the taste. But to me (and I'm far from a wine expert) I can instantly tell the difference between a good $15 bottle and $45 bottle of wine.

  18. #48

    Default Re: GIT vs. Coolwater -- Afraid to see.....

    Quote Originally Posted by pesurf
    CW was my daily scent (it lasted about 2 hours on me)! If you re-read my post that you quoted above, you'll see that I list it as well as Tuscany, Drakar and Pasha.

    I guess until I read about the similarities at Basenotes, I never paid much attention to the superficial similarities in the opening of the 2, I'm much more into the drydown and development of a scent, since that's where I spend the most time with it.

    Maybe an analogy using wine would have been better since there is no way to know the quality of the grapes used, what kind of barrels it was aged in and for how long, and how creative the wine maker is. All we have to go on is the taste. But to me (and I'm far from a wine expert) I can instantly tell the difference between a good $15 bottle and $45 bottle of wine.

    Your post said you were an "owner" of CW. If CW was your daily sent and you didn't realize it's connection with GIT (other than perhaps some superficial similarity), until you read about on BN, ok, I'll accept that as your opinion. I would think that's a pretty atypical reaction. I'm pretty good at the scent game and putting CW on one wrist and GIT on the other, I can tell they're different but man oh man, there's a hell of alot more to the comparison then a superficial similarity -- at least in my book. And to refer back to your wine / steak examples, I don't see that either. I'll agree that GIT lasts longer, but I find nothing about CW that I'd describe as cheap. I seriously doubt that a frag. expert blindly sampling each for the first time would conclude that GIT is the filet and CW the chuck.

  19. #49

    Default Re: GIT vs. Coolwater -- Afraid to see.....

    Quote Originally Posted by wxman
    Your post said you were an "owner" of CW. If CW was your daily sent and you didn't realize it's connection with GIT (other than perhaps some superficial similarity), until you read about on BN, ok, I'll accept that as your opinion. I would think that's a pretty atypical reaction. I'm pretty good at the scent game and putting CW on one wrist and GIT on the other, I can tell they're different but man oh man, there's a hell of alot more to the comparison then a superficial similarity -- at least in my book. And to refer back to your wine / steak examples, I don't see that either. I'll agree that GIT lasts longer, but I find nothing about CW that I'd describe as cheap. I seriously doubt that a frag. expert blindly sampling each for the first time would conclude that GIT is the filet and CW the chuck.
    I wouldn't go so far as to call CW cheap, but their are differences in quality. First for me the CW doesn't last nearly as long, second the power of the top notes is much much stronger than the drydown. This usually indicates that the seller is designing more to entice an instant sell rather than a day fragrance. Furthermore the notes come off as a little cloying IMO and lacks a subtleness about it. On the other hand GIT had me hooked instantly. It's top notes are great, but the drydown is noticable, smooth and their is nothing cloying about it. You can tell by its design that is meant to be worn on the skin, not to be sampled on paper and bought immediately.

    The thing is I sample CW way before I ever had the chance to sample GIT. I heard CW was all the rage, but I couldn't see why. When I first sampled GIT I was smitten instantly.

    I'm no expert but these are my opinions.

  20. #50

    Default Re: GIT vs. Coolwater -- Afraid to see.....

    I've been trying them both side by side and i think that

    CW has a harsh sharpness that I don't like when first spraying it on.,GIT is better on the nose and to be honest I prefer it. The creed has less longevity sadly but while it's there it's nicer for sure.

    But I take an interest in such things, i look for the subtleties and the nuances, most people don't. I asked a friend which she preferred she said coolwater. shThat was ater i had to tell her i was wearing 2 different perfumes.

    Overall it wasn't a big deal at all, she even preferred the cheaper one. SO i guess it comes down to this: if you are wearing it for yourself then get GIT, if you are wearing it for others get CW. others can't tell the difference,

    Most women are just surprised a guy wears cologne for heavens sake, many guys don't unless it's a friday night on the town, And if you wear anything even Boss or Joop it'll be appreciated as much as tea for two by a lady because it's jus that you smell nice or interesting. I think we all love our frags so much we forget that people outside our world aren't interested in the nuances. SO if we're spending loads on GIT not CW then we're buying something that no stranger can tell the difference between day by day and so the justification is that we're buying it to look and see the nuances. That's as gooda reason as any i guess.

    It's why L'artisab are expensive and low sillage and still adored. Perfumes like that are bought even if no one else but the wearer will smell them , the same is true for GIT. No one else can tell or is bothered to try to tell the difference, so we buy GIT for ourselves to enjoy but they are the same thing on the whole.

Similar Threads

  1. Fake Creed GIT - Comparison Pics
    By tomtom in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 88
    Last Post: 17th August 2011, 03:12 PM
  2. Finally Got Some GIT....
    By Snake1 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 26th October 2006, 11:26 PM
  3. I just got my GIT and Bulgari
    By greyhueofdoubt in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 18th March 2006, 03:56 AM
  4. Anything similar to GIT but not Coolwater?
    By cap2j in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 7th November 2005, 12:43 AM
  5. The creed-ulity factor
    By milamber in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 22nd August 2005, 09:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000