Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 50
  1. #1

    Default GIT vs. Coolwater -- Afraid to see.....

    Why are some people afraid to see what they see? This is a negative trait in all aspects of life. Having just read all the reviews on GIT, and performed a careful side-by-side comparison, I can only conclude that some here are afraid to see what they see.

    I'm not saying which is better or whether there was a ripoff, but (in all humbleness) I have a very discerning nose, and can say with certainty that while these two have differences, they are subtle. The best description would be that GIT is a deeper (grassier) smell compared with Coolwater, but otherwise they are very similar top to bottom. I disagree with those who say there is a dramatic difference in the drydown. To me its as though GIT added a grassy note to coolwater (yes, I know that GIT came first), but that's how they differ to me. On the drydown the richer green is retained in GIT while Coolwater is "brighter" but, again, the two remain similar. (On a related note, I do agree that TM Cologne and Creed OV differ greatly on the drydown despite a very similar opening.)

    There are those who would refuse to wear a fake Rolex, and I respect that completely, but those who say a well-made fake looks completely different from the real thing, well they too are afraid to see what they see. Feel free to disagree -- I'm sure many will.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    1,513

    Default Re: GIT vs. Coolwater -- Afraid to see.....

    I tried GIT today and I must say Coolwater and GIT are almost identical except that Coolwater has a soapier, more acidic, fruity, synthetic 'layer on top'. It's almost as if they are built on the same base. But GIT is a little grassier and deeper. GIT is like the best parts of Coolwater minus all the irritating synthetic notes. Or should I say, Coolwater is GIT with it's good characteristics toned down and some nasty notes added.

    Edit:By the way, I was making a choice between GIT and SMW. I bought GIT but after a while decided go back and exchange it for SMW because I already have Coolwater..a disincentive for me to pay such a high price for it. Maybe if Coolwater never existed I would've gotten GIT straightaway and not have any hesitations after that.
    Last edited by Xen; 26th August 2006 at 02:26 PM.

  3. #3

    Default Re: GIT vs. Coolwater -- Afraid to see.....

    The thing is they might not smells exactly the same, but when one smells Cool Water from someone elses sillage it will instantly remind them of GIT and the same goes when one wears GIT it will remind you of CW.
    "...but I also can't prove that mushrooms could not be intergalactic spaceships spying on us." Daniel C. Dennett

    Top 5
    1.
    Heritage 2. Antaeus3.Kouros 4. Drakkar Noir 5. Montana PDH

  4. #4

    Default Re: GIT vs. Coolwater -- Afraid to see.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Xen
    I tried GIT today and I must say Coolwater and GIT are almost identical except that Coolwater has a soapier, more acidic, fruity, synthetic 'layer on top'. It's almost as if they are built on the same base. But GIT is a little grassier and deeper. GIT is like the best parts of Coolwater minus all the irritating synthetic notes. Or should I say, Coolwater is GIT with it's good characteristics toned down and some nasty notes added.

    Edit:By the way, I was making a choice between GIT and SMW. I bought GIT but after a while decided go back and exchange it for SMW because I already have Coolwater..a disincentive for me to pay such a high price for it. Maybe if Coolwater never existed I would've gotten GIT straightaway and not have any hesitations after that.

    Exactly! Very well said.

  5. #5

    Default Re: GIT vs. Coolwater -- Afraid to see.....

    I completely agree with the above two posts. IMHO, the only difference between Creed and "clones" (if you must use the term) is a slight synthetic "harshness" not to mention longevity issues with Creed. For the difference in the price, this can easily be overlooked. This includes GIT, SMW, MI, OV...
    Still, I respect those who insist on wearing Creed and claim the difference is dramatic for them. Just not for me. For those prices, you can get better value elsewhere especially if your thing is understatement and a scent that stays close to the skin.
    RM

  6. #6
    Renato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    11,761

    Default Re: GIT vs. Coolwater -- Afraid to see.....

    Quote Originally Posted by scentinell
    Why are some people afraid to see what they see? This is a negative trait in all aspects of life. Having just read all the reviews on GIT, and performed a careful side-by-side comparison, I can only conclude that some here are afraid to see what they see.
    Your conclusion would be incorrect.
    Four or five years ago, at the old site, I came along and posted that GIT was pretty much like Cool Water. I hung on to that view for about a year.

    I currently two bottles of Cool Water and three of GIT - which indicates that my view did in fact change.
    Renato

  7. #7

    Default Re: GIT vs. Coolwater -- Afraid to see.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Renato
    Your conclusion would be incorrect.
    Four or five years ago, at the old site, I came along and posted that GIT was pretty much like Cool Water. I hung on to that view for about a year.

    I currently two bottles of Cool Water and three of GIT - which indicates that my view did in fact change.
    Renato


    I'm not saying there wouldn't be justification for buying GIT -- perhaps just the self-awareness that your wearing a true classic might be enough. What I'm interested in is whether your revised view is that these two scents are totally different. The fact that it took you a year to change your view would suggest that any difference would have to be at a subtle level, but I'd welcome your opinion. I too think these are differerent, just not dramatically so. I also respect the view that in the scent game -- at least for folks like us -- subtle differences count. My only point is that we people should admit that the differences ARE subtle, and not engage in nonsense talk just to justify the $50+ price difference.

  8. #8
    Renato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    11,761

    Default Re: GIT vs. Coolwater -- Afraid to see.....

    I've sprayed some of each on my hands.

    It's a conundrum. At first smell they're plainly different with a very superficial similarity. Same with second smell. But just keep on smelling them continuously, and they suddenly seem very similar.

    If I want mass confusion, I also spray some Curve on my wrist. It has no resemblence to Cool Water, but many see a resemblence to GIT. Start doing the constant sniffing and both Curve and Cool Water suddenly resemble GIT - and each other!
    Renato

  9. #9

    Default Re: GIT vs. Coolwater -- Afraid to see.....

    I also did a comparison and I must say after about 2 hours on the skin GIT is very different from Cool Water. It has a much warmer and grassier bottom than CW. I prefer GIT because I like the bottom much better and also because CW is one of the most "over-worn" fragrances in memory. I wish CW was never made. Why would I want to wear something 2 billion people in world wear everday.
    If everybody wore the same shirt would you wear it also? I don't think so.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Back on Basenotes after about a 6 year absence. Need to time to re-adjust

  10. #10

    Default Re: GIT vs. Coolwater -- Afraid to see.....

    "It has a much warmer and grassier bottom than CW."

    Agreed completely. However, I think your in for a losing proposition if you think this will distinguish you form the billions wearing CW. I think 99% of the folks --even many from BN-- would be unable to distinguish the two from sillage alone, it's hard enough on a wrist-to-wrist comparison (though I'm sure I and many others could tell the difference in that setting).

  11. #11

    Default Re: GIT vs. Coolwater -- Afraid to see.....

    For me GIT is completely different from Coolwater

    GIT on my skin starts off with a Lemony, Grass Smell. It then dries down to a "white" light fragrance that has a blend between a floral/woody tone thats still quite masculine.

    Coolwater on the other hand, starts off as a Spicy, Minty fragrance that then cools down to a woody, musky base,

    The big difference is how much ambergris will stand out on your skin. GIT is a simpler fragrance by design. If ambergris (different from Amber which is a resinous secretion from the conifer family) stands out on your skin then they will smell different (GIT will be more earthy, slightly sweet whereas Cool Water becomes Woodsy). If the ambergris doesn't stand out and the sandalwood does, then you are going to detect more similarities.

  12. #12

    Default Re: GIT vs. Coolwater -- Afraid to see.....

    I'm glad someone brought this up.

    I felt like when the topic of creed imitations for the cash conscious is brought up and someone says "oh no, cool water is completely different" they are hardly doing the questioner a favor. I mean come on CW is definteily a knock off of GIT and they definitely did a respectable job knocking it off. And if your "dubious creed" purchases from ebay were filled with CW you'd probably be happier than whatever it is people are getting when they feel ripped off.

    I finally received cool water set yesterday and got to try.

    ****Now the really unexpected surprise on me is that Cool Water totally almost faded away after a couple of hours, whereas the longevity of GIT on me is very very long!!!***

    I think that GIT does smell a little richer all around but they are VERY VERY similar. GIT and Musc Ravageur or Iris Poudre or any of a thousand other scents are "completely different". GIT and CW are very similar with some differences. It is completely ridiculous to call them "completely different".
    Last edited by supermarky; 26th August 2006 at 06:24 PM.

  13. #13

    Default Re: GIT vs. Coolwater -- Afraid to see.....

    Quote Originally Posted by supermarky
    I'm glad someone brought this up.

    I felt like when the topic of creed imitations for the cash conscious is brought up and someone says "oh no, cool water is completely different" they are hardly doing the questioner a favor. I mean come on CW is definteily a knock off of GIT and they definitely did a respectable job knocking it off. And if your "dubious creed" purchases from ebay were filled with CW you'd probably be happier than whatever it is people are getting when they feel ripped off.

    I finally received cool water set yesterday and got to try.

    ****Now the really unexpected surprise on me is that Cool Water totally almost faded away after a couple of hours, whereas the longevity of GIT on me is very very long!!!***

    I think that GIT does smell a little richer all around but they are VERY VERY similar. GIT and Musc Ravageur or Iris Poudre or any of a thousand other scents are "completely different". GIT and CW are very similar with some differences. It is completely ridiculous to call them "completely different".
    On my skin the base of GIT smells nothing like CW. CW will remind you of GIT the same way Unforgivable will remind you of MI. But Creeds richness and the House notes makes the big difference.
    "...but I also can't prove that mushrooms could not be intergalactic spaceships spying on us." Daniel C. Dennett

    Top 5
    1.
    Heritage 2. Antaeus3.Kouros 4. Drakkar Noir 5. Montana PDH

  14. #14

    Default Re: GIT vs. Coolwater -- Afraid to see.....

    Quote Originally Posted by incedal
    On my skin the base of GIT smells nothing like CW. CW will remind you of GIT the same way Unforgivable will remind you of MI. But Creeds richness and the House notes makes the big difference.
    "GIT smells nothing like CW." Really, are you sure your using authentic GIT? Not trying to be insulting here, but I would bet my life (quite literally) that if you took a group of 100 people familiar only with CW and asked them "what's this" while wearing GIT, 95 or more would say CW. Do you honestly disagree with that proposition? While many can fairly point to differences in the two, its opinions like yours (and your entitled to it for sure) that led me to make my post. I'm glad at least some seem to agree with me.

  15. #15
    Thrax
    Guest

    Default Re: GIT vs. Coolwater -- Afraid to see.....

    Well first think about this a bit. I will admit that both are similar, but (but). If you wore the two out how many people are actually gonna distinguish between the two. Not very many I dont think. Apart from very different top notes they are almost the same thing in the base. So I guess if I have a choice to pay $15 for a bottle of Cool Water at Wal-Mart, or paying $100 for a bottle of GIT on the net. I'll take the Cool Water any day.

  16. #16
    zztopp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    the Dirty South
    Posts
    6,648

    Default Re: GIT vs. Coolwater -- Afraid to see.....

    Quote Originally Posted by steveharrisonmc
    For me GIT is completely different from Coolwater

    GIT on my skin starts off with a Lemony, Grass Smell. It then dries down to a "white" light fragrance that has a blend between a floral/woody tone thats still quite masculine.

    Coolwater on the other hand, starts off as a Spicy, Minty fragrance that then cools down to a woody, musky base,

    The big difference is how much ambergris will stand out on your skin. GIT is a simpler fragrance by design. If ambergris (different from Amber which is a resinous secretion from the conifer family) stands out on your skin then they will smell different (GIT will be more earthy, slightly sweet whereas Cool Water becomes Woodsy). If the ambergris doesn't stand out and the sandalwood does, then you are going to detect more similarities.
    I agree with this post. Also, I have been wearing Unforgivable and Millesime Imperial for the past two week - to me, those two are nothing alike. They are maybe 25% similar - thats about it. Just because Unforgivable has a slight mediterranean accord doesnt mean that its a copy of MI. If that were the case, then Kouros is a big time copy of Orange Spice, because its top notes are EXACTLY the same...rather, people say its "inspired by Orange Spice".
    -

  17. #17

    Default Re: GIT vs. Coolwater -- Afraid to see.....

    I agree with what some have said that when somebody smells the sillage of both of them they wouldn't be able to tell the difference. It is probably true. So now we just have to find the differences other than the scent itself. Things like longevity, price and ingredients used. All those things are all up to the person.
    If have the money why not get the GIT, it will look much better on your fragrance table than a CW bottle. High Price to pay though.

    "L. Ron Hubbard" this GIT and CW debate just doesn't go away, does it?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Back on Basenotes after about a 6 year absence. Need to time to re-adjust

  18. #18

    Default Re: GIT vs. Coolwater -- Afraid to see.....

    Quote Originally Posted by scentinell
    "GIT smells nothing like CW." Really, are you sure your using authentic GIT? Not trying to be insulting here, but I would bet my life (quite literally) that if you took a group of 100 people familiar only with CW and asked them "what's this" while wearing GIT, 95 or more would say CW. Do you honestly disagree with that proposition? While many can fairly point to differences in the two, its opinions like yours (and your entitled to it for sure) that led me to make my post. I'm glad at least some seem to agree with me.
    You misunderstood what I had said, the top notes and drydown smell like CW but the base which I mean by the ending of GIT duration smells nothing like CW. GIT lasts 10 hours on my skin and only the first 6 hours smell like CW after that they smell nothing a like. Like I had stated before, ON MY SKIN so some people will have different results.
    Last edited by incedal; 26th August 2006 at 07:43 PM.
    "...but I also can't prove that mushrooms could not be intergalactic spaceships spying on us." Daniel C. Dennett

    Top 5
    1.
    Heritage 2. Antaeus3.Kouros 4. Drakkar Noir 5. Montana PDH

  19. #19
    marcos_xs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    In the land of fairies
    Posts
    106

    Cool Re: GIT vs. Coolwater -- Afraid to see.....

    I'd just like to say that actually it was CW which: quote'Cool Water by Davidoff also spawned a plethora of copycats after it used and ingredient called dihydromicernol for the first time.It was an inspiration for the modern freshness for men trend according to Paris-based fragrance creators Quest International'

    You draw the conclusion.

    Mine would be that I don't think that CW it's ripoff of GIT because the nose behind it actually tried new concepts and also managed to influence many other fragrances to come....

  20. #20
    Thrax
    Guest

    Default Re: GIT vs. Coolwater -- Afraid to see.....

    Quote Originally Posted by marcos_xs
    I'd just like to say that actually it was CW which: quote'Cool Water by Davidoff also spawned a plethora of copycats after it used and ingredient called dihydromicernol for the first time.It was an inspiration for the modern freshness for men trend according to Paris-based fragrance creators Quest International'

    You draw the conclusion.

    Mine would be that I don't think that CW it's ripoff of GIT because the nose behind it actually tried new concepts and also managed to influence many other fragrances to come....
    Very good point.

  21. #21

    Default Re: GIT vs. Coolwater -- Afraid to see.....

    Quote Originally Posted by marcos_xs
    I'd just like to say that actually it was CW which: quote'Cool Water by Davidoff also spawned a plethora of copycats after it used and ingredient called dihydromicernol for the first time.It was an inspiration for the modern freshness for men trend according to Paris-based fragrance creators Quest International'

    You draw the conclusion.

    Mine would be that I don't think that CW it's ripoff of GIT because the nose behind it actually tried new concepts and also managed to influence many other fragrances to come....
    I cleary think the nose behind CW knew/smelt GIT. Because the first time I had smelt GIT it was clear to me that CW was inspired* by GIT. Also GIT was released to the public in 85 and CW was launched 88. I am sure when GIT was released it was popular among most celebs and the Rich.
    "...but I also can't prove that mushrooms could not be intergalactic spaceships spying on us." Daniel C. Dennett

    Top 5
    1.
    Heritage 2. Antaeus3.Kouros 4. Drakkar Noir 5. Montana PDH

  22. #22
    zztopp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    the Dirty South
    Posts
    6,648

    Default Re: GIT vs. Coolwater -- Afraid to see.....

    Quote Originally Posted by marcos_xs
    Mine would be that I don't think that CW it's ripoff of GIT because the nose behind it actually tried new concepts and also managed to influence many other fragrances to come....

    LOL !
    -

  23. #23

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    673

    Default Re: GIT vs. Coolwater -- Afraid to see.....

    Not this again!

    I own them both and any similarity (which is superficial to begin with) is gone within about 30 minutes! Especially the sillage is different.

    After reading about the constant comparisons here on Basenotes, I've done several blind (from atomizers) comparisons with fragrence fans and non fragrence fans, and several people said they smell similar at first, but not after some time.

  24. #24

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    1,513

    Default Re: GIT vs. Coolwater -- Afraid to see.....

    I will definitely be able to distinguish between the two but because of the price difference, I would rather go with another Creed..which I did with SMW. But if I had spare cash I would get GIT too.

  25. #25
    zztopp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    the Dirty South
    Posts
    6,648

    Default Re: GIT vs. Coolwater -- Afraid to see.....

    Quote Originally Posted by pesurf
    Not this again!

    I own them both and any similarity (which is superficial to begin with) is gone within about 30 minutes! Especially the sillage is different.

    After reading about the constant comparisons here on Basenotes, I've done several blind (from atomizers) comparisons with fragrence fans and non fragrence fans, and several people said they smell similar at first, but not after some time.
    I think we should now be used to the fact that as basenotes attracts more members (which is great!), these questions (ebay, gray market, similar fragrances, etc) will keep popping up because it will be the first time they will be encountering these fragrances, and some basenotes reviews also state the (controversial) similarities explicitly.
    -

  26. #26

    Default Re: GIT vs. Coolwater -- Afraid to see.....

    Quote Originally Posted by pesurf
    Not this again!

    I own them both and any similarity (which is superficial to begin with) is gone within about 30 minutes! Especially the sillage is different.

    After reading about the constant comparisons here on Basenotes, I've done several blind (from atomizers) comparisons with fragrence fans and non fragrence fans, and several people said they smell similar at first, but not after some time.

    People need to read my comments carefully. Although I'm new to the new board, I've been a BN'tr since the old board days. I'm not discovering this issue for the first time but, rather, using it to make a point about giving an honest appraisal. I certainly agree there are differences, but those who say there is NO similarity or these are COMPLETELY different well, let's just say we disagree. I have a very strong feeling that if GIT and CW were in the same price and perceived quality range, people would seldom buy both. Think about it.

  27. #27
    zztopp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    the Dirty South
    Posts
    6,648

    Default Re: GIT vs. Coolwater -- Afraid to see.....

    Quote Originally Posted by scentinell
    People need to read my comments carefully. Although I'm new to the new board, I've been a BN'tr since the old board days. I'm not discovering this issue for the first time but, rather, using it to make a point about giving an honest appraisal. I certainly agree there are differences, but those who say there is NO similarity or these are COMPLETELY different well, let's just say we disagree. I have a very strong feeling that if GIT and CW were in the same price and perceived quality range, people would seldom buy both. Think about it.
    I agree that there is some similarity.

    However I disagree that I would be happy to go for either of them if they were in the same price range. If Davidoff had released both GIT and CW as CoolWater-Ambergris and CoolWater-1988 respectively, I would buy CoolWater-Ambergris.
    -

  28. #28

    Default Re: GIT vs. Coolwater -- Afraid to see.....

    what's so hard about embracing the fact that GIT is so much more attractive because it's harder to get, I mean that's a large part of it, it's human nature. it's always going to be more attractive.

    the smell of both is so kind of harsh in a way, that I think psychologically I am a lot more comfortable with those smells coming from natural sources than thinking it's a bunch of chemicals that come out like that lol

    oh I mentioned this in another post but I find the smell so emphatic that I have smelled it when there was none around just thinking about it sometimes. it hits the brain hard.

  29. #29
    zztopp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    the Dirty South
    Posts
    6,648

    Default Re: GIT vs. Coolwater -- Afraid to see.....

    Quote Originally Posted by supermarky
    what's so hard about embracing the fact that GIT is so much more attractive because it's harder to get, I mean that's a large part of it, it's human nature. it's always going to be more attractive.

    the smell of both is so kind of harsh in a way, that I think psychologically I am a lot more comfortable with those smells coming from natural sources than thinking it's a bunch of chemicals that come out like that lol

    oh I mentioned this in another post but I find the smell so emphatic that I have smelled it when there was none around just thinking about it sometimes. it hits the brain hard.
    or maybe you smelled the easily available Cool Water
    -

  30. #30

    Default Re: GIT vs. Coolwater -- Afraid to see.....

    I love debates like these coming up over and again. It's like debating religion or other unanswerables; it's the conversation which counts, not the conclusions .
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

    "Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

    reviews

Similar Threads

  1. Fake Creed GIT - Comparison Pics
    By tomtom in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 88
    Last Post: 17th August 2011, 03:12 PM
  2. Finally Got Some GIT....
    By Snake1 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 26th October 2006, 11:26 PM
  3. I just got my GIT and Bulgari
    By greyhueofdoubt in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 18th March 2006, 03:56 AM
  4. Anything similar to GIT but not Coolwater?
    By cap2j in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 7th November 2005, 12:43 AM
  5. The creed-ulity factor
    By milamber in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 22nd August 2005, 09:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000