Code of Conduct

Default What frags are the modern day equivalent of "Old Spice"?

What is todays "Old Spice"...please give an example or two,and a reason...
    Dont compare price,but id like to hear views on the other characteristics,popularity etc

Default Re: What frags are the modern day equivalent of "Old Spice"?

I think it depends on which aspect of old spice you mean. Do you mean a common but good babershop aftershave? Or the best selling men's frag. Or a similar fresh-spice cologne? Or ........
    "Donít try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. Ē - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

That is a good question and kind of unique. I think Old Spice has no rival. That said I find OS quite dated and it's just blah to me.
    Last edited by dr.creed; 26th August 2006 at 10:55 PM.
    dr.creed's decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

I love Old Spice although I don`t use it myself.

I really do think that Equipage by Hermes has something in common with OS. It really does imo, and also Escada Pour Homme has something similar going on.

Here's a somewhat obscure one that really, REALLY does smell like Old Spice to me. Dracul by Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab. Very similar. For all the lofty descriptions they give for their fragrances, I guess it boils down to them thinking Count Dracula would be a fan of Old Spice. :P

Try Rive Gauche by Yves Saint Laurent. It definitely has that traditional, barbershop, clean, aftershave backbone to it.

Oh and btw, I don't find Escada PH is very 'old spice'ish.. it's a little too powdery with a strong cognac/brandy presence in it.

If modern barber shop is what your after, try Burberry Brit -- to me it smells like a refined and toned down Canoe. Surprised no one seems to have mentioned this. Frankly I didn't buy it (though I was presented with a great deal on a tester) because it was too close to Canoe which I already own and enjoy. For that matter, just buy the Canoe -- but that's not really modern. On the other hand, a wise man once said "you can't beat the classics."

Blog Entries

In terms of something that's widely popular & inexpensive, I'd have to say Axe. But since the stuff smells so bad I can't imagine that years down the line the smell of Axe will bring back fond memories for anyone, like Old Spice does.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

My dad thought I wore Old Spice once when I wore Dior Homme...And he has smelled quite a lot of scents because of me...

I think the modern day old spice is... old spice. I still see old spice in people's bathrooms more than any other cologne, with the possible exception of cool water. I think the reason cool water doesn't quite have the ubiquity of old spice is simply that it is not sold in the grocery store like OS and Brut. Yet. If Davidoff were to sell off, I could definately see cool water joning the ranks of OS and Brut at the grocery store. CW is an excellent scent and has been holding its own for 20 years.

I can agree with many of the fragrances mentioned here. Another one that I will add is Jaipur Pour Homme by boucheron. Spice is the word here for sure. This has that Old Spice feel and that Old Spice warmth if you will. Old Spice is a long time winner and it's veryy hard to ignore a winner.
    Gary