Code of Conduct

Default Tea for Two -vs- Fumerie Turque

Guys, I already own a smokey/sweet scent as in Tea for Two. I have read so many good reviews of Fumerie Turque on here, which I understand is broadly also a smokey/sweet scent.

My question is, are these two frags sufficiently different to make a purchase of FT worthwhile?

Thanks.

Default Re: Tea for Two -vs- Fumerie Turque

YES! If you like Tea for Two, you will maybe love the Fumerie.
    Smoky tea and the smoky sweet rose.
    The two perfumes with an outstanding character, related souls but so different. Try!

This is an interesting question.

First time I smelled Fumerie Turque I thought: "wow, this is a fine, sweet and intoxicating fragrance."
    (Let`s pass the the second test)

Third time with Fumerie Turque was already a bit disapointment: "What is this, really? People on Basenotes are getting excited by this flat, non-complex syrupy fragrance?? Well, it`s not definitely not bad but it certainly hasn`t got anything special to offer...Just a flat syrapy scent with only slightly smoky undertones..Go away, out of my Top 30!!!"

Tea for Two is better, although I personally can`t stand the specific "camphory" note that is does hold. It`s also very flat scent, but still more complex than FT. And yeah, I like Tea for Two, but I just can`t wear it myself. It`s a great blend which makes me very nervous. Smoke with the hint of mintyness is fascinating but quite unbearable.

Quote Originally Posted by PigeonMurderer
    Tea for Two is better, although I personally can`t stand the specific "camphory" note that is does hold. It`s also very flat scent, but still more complex than FT. And yeah, I like Tea for Two, but I just can`t wear it myself. It`s a great blend which makes me very nervous. Smoke with the hint of mintyness is fascinating but quite unbearable.
    Tea For Two smells like one of the Demeter one-note wonders. Sorry, very over-rated, and quite unwearable. I dont like to smell like tea bags.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp
    Tea For Two smells like one of the Demeter one-note wonders. Sorry, very over-rated, and quite unwearable. I dont like to smell like tea bags.
    Well man, I said it`s very flat but I still do think it has a great, rich blend.
    Tea bag, yes...but it`s quite aromatic and compelling one. Dense note harmony I say.

They are completely different. Nothing alike. The smoke is not even similar. They share a common honey note but that is all. They are both worth owning because they are SO different.

Tea for Two is not overrated because to some people, such as me, it smells terrific and extremely wearable in the winter. So just because you don't like it, does not mean it's overrated. It's just the way you perceive the scent.

Both are phenomenal. Very different. I own two bottles of Tea for Two and four bell jars of Fumerie Turque. I consider Fumerie Turque one of the best fragrances I own or have ever smelled. I plan on buying more. It's so good I can't even begin to describe it. It's genuinely otherwordly. It's a bit more sophisticated than Tea for Two, or most any other fragrance for that matter. It's the distinctly polar opposite of syrupy, non-complex and flat.
    Last edited by pluran; 28th August 2006 at 06:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiritussancti
    It smells terrific and extremely wearable in the winter.
    I definitely agree with you! In the cool air, T42 positively blossoms. Its a very nicely balanced scent. The smoke, and the tea! Simply wonderful. It's a complex scent actually because you can't easily constuct a smokey scent and to couple it with tea to boot! You have to blend a scent carefully to get that effect. Not an easy task for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiritussancti
    So just because you don't like it, does not mean it's overrated. It's just the way you perceive the scent.
    In my opinion, its over-rated. And I dont like smelling like tea, no matter what the weather. Its a good "smell", just not a good "fragrance". If you like it, good for you. We are all entitled to our opinion.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp
    We are all entitled to our opinion.
    Yes you are, but you could put it in a way that doesn't step on people's toes. I could say "In my opinion, anyone who thinks T42 is a one note fragrance should have their nose examined" but that wouldn't be very polite would it?

"The Supreme Court has also recognized that the government may prohibit some speech that may cause a breach of the peace or cause violence" - Legal Information Institute from Cornell.
    Hmmm... seems like even your forefathers had that in mind when they wrote the first amendment.
    Thanks, Dr. Bubba.
    Last edited by milamber; 28th August 2006 at 02:13 AM.

Longevity, I will vote for the Fumerie. Smokiness, well Tea for Two is a tad more smokey. What I like better is the Rose of Fumerie over the Tea of the L'Artisan. Where it less vanilla tea and more of a tea of say oh, Eau de Navigatuer or Silver Mountain Water, I think the Tea for Two would be more interesting. Overall, Id give the nod to Fumerie Turque

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by milamber
    Yes you are, but you could put it in a way that doesn't step on people's toes. I could say "In my opinion, anyone who thinks T42 is a one note fragrance should have their nose examined" but that wouldn't be very polite would it?
    What? Here is what I said "...Demeter one-note wonders. Sorry, very over-rated, and quite unwearable." Sentiments which other people have very stated for many other fragrances here. Where am I being impolite?

Anyway, this thread is not about Tea For Two - its about T42 vs. FT. Sorry we got off topic.
    -

That wouldn't be polite because it's directed at someone's physical inability. Saying "It's overrated" is a generalization ... which happens with better than half the fragrances here I see reviews on ... and I think it's fine and doesn't step on anyones toes. I've seen the "overrated" comment thrown around here quite often.

Besides, I happen to agree with the "linear" opinions about T42. I bought it blind about a year ago and all I got from it was tea, tea, and more tea. Nothing else. All I could picture was a bunch of old ladies sitting around a kitchen table chewing the fat. IMHO ... very boring.

And IMHO ... Fumerie Turque is far superior.

"The Supreme Court has also recognized that the government may prohibit some speech that may cause a breach of the peace or cause violence" - Legal Information Institute from Cornell.
    Hmmm... seems like even your forefathers had that in mind when they wrote the first amendment.
    Thanks, Dr. Bubba.
    That is an absolutely useless addendum to your comment.

I am sorry that I dont share the same appreciation for tea for two as you do, but I never heard you complain when all the kouros/urinal-cake threads were flying around here.
    -

I'm pretty close to locking this. Use personal messages for accusations.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Thrax

Ah yes, Vodka for Three up against Fumey Turkey. In this heated battle, I'm gonna have to go for the Vodka for Three.

I like them both. They have similar styles or characters maybe, but the notes are different. T42 is about tea, spices, and honey. FT is about tobacco, spices, florals, and honey. Both are thick and smell "brown" to me. FT is more complex, develops more on the skin, and lasts longer. T42 seems more linear to me - what you smell is what you get. Fumerie Turque wins for me because of its greater complexity and development. IMO, both are worth owning.