Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Washington DC?

Default Washington DC?

I'm going to be in the area for school for the next two semesters and so forth, and I was wondering if anyone knew some good shops to visit? For the most part, I'm looking for niche. Does the Barneys coop in Georgetown have anything like the Barneys in NYC? Thanks for the help!

Default Re: Washington DC?

I think the answer is no about the Barney's coop in Georgetown, but I'll go over and see this week, Borky. I've meant to for a while. Should have checked it out yesterday, as I was in the area, but, well, forgot.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Is anyone aware of niche shopping opportunities in DC? I'll be there in a few weeks, and will have some wandering time that I'd like to devote to sniffing, unless I end up fascinated by a session of congress or something.

Cheers!

Red face Re: Washington DC?

In both Tysons and Fair Oaks mall there are perfume shops; however, those are the burbs. If you think you might get out there send me a message and I'll send you more info, or google tyson's corner mall or fair oaks mall and look up the stores. If you find anything in the city, let me know!!!!!

Hi Schareid,
    Blue Mercury at 3059 M Street, NW, (in Georgetown) is the best niche perveyor in the city. L'Artisan, Diptyque, Serge Lutens, Creed, CSP, and maybe a couple other lines I can't remember right now, are there. Not the full lines of each though. Blue Mercury has another shop in the Dupont Circle area, but it carries fewer fragrances so you'll still have to go to the Georgetown joint to get widest selection.

Neiman-Marcus in Friendship Heights, "Mazza Gallerie" mall, carries the full line of Creed products, but is hit or more likely miss for many other great scents, and the place is filled with unctious sales people who try the "dahlink" yes-of-course sales approaches that drive me out the door as fast as I can go.

If you're in the Tyson's Corner area of the western suburbs the place to go is Art With Flowers in Tysons II Galleria mall. (Not in Tysons corner center, but across the wide and busy suburban roads in Tysons II Galleria, don't forget!) This place has many lines and changes them, dropping some and adding others, quarterly or twice a year. L'Artisan, Diptyque, I Profumo di Firenze, Parfums Rosine, and a bunch of other really good ones. My favorite sales people too--they love scents but know they aren't important in the scheme of things.

Good luck! Oh and the Barney's I said I was going to visit to check out the scent options don't have anything but Barney's own one or two scents. Don't put them on your wandering list.

Great trip to you!
    --Chris

Quote Originally Posted by vezerne
    In both Tysons and Fair Oaks mall there are perfume shops; however, those are the burbs. If you think you might get out there send me a message and I'll send you more info, or google tyson's corner mall or fair oaks mall and look up the stores. If you find anything in the city, let me know!!!!!

I used to work by Fair Oaks Mall and went there every day for lunch. They don't have any special perfume stores just the Sephora and L'Occitane and the department stores, unless they opened one in the last 5 months.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Thumbs up Re: Washington DC?

Tschiffely Pharmacy locations in Dupont Circle and Downtown are hit or miss, but have some unusual things like Speziali Fiorentini and Lily Prune. They also stock nice bath products and treats from Europe. The atmosphere is a bit stuck in the past, which I personally find entertaining. There's one in Union Station as well, but I don't recall seeing much there. The Dupont location is the one most worth visiting if you are in the neighborhood.

Smile Re: Washington DC?

There is an independent fragrance store in Fair Oaks mall that is on the second floor in the JCPenney wing (it's just above the kids play area). It is similar to the Parfums de France store in Tysons I, in that there are many locked glass cabinets stuffed full of all kinds of fragrances. But two of those cabinets, the ones by the counter, are stuffed full of classics from Guerlain, Dior, Caron, Hermes, Balmain, and Rochas. The only line that they do not have that I miss is Chanel; the lady who I buy from there says she does not like Chanel and that why they don't have any.

She also has quite a few hard to find and discontinued lines and products (including bath products for high-end lines) and a whole tall cabinet just full of miniatures. Do not go here looking for discounted prices, but if you want to sniff/buy IRL the stuff you only see online, it's a great place to visit. She even had the pure parfum of Magie Noire the last time I was there, and it was all I could do not to buy it.

I would also recommend hitting the Hermes store across from Tyson's Corner in the western 'burbs (8075 Leesburg Pike, Vienna, VA 22182). When I hiked in from Baltimore to go, I found that they were really generous with samples. The samples of the Hermessence line in particular come in very large vials. And they have testers of all the older fragrances, as well as other beautiful things to poke through. Their ties and scarves are really beautiful.

Talking Re: Washington DC?

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    Blue Mercury at 3059 M Street, NW, (in Georgetown) is the best niche perveyor in the city. L'Artisan, Diptyque, Serge Lutens, Creed, CSP, and maybe a couple other lines I can't remember right now, are there. Not the full lines of each though. Blue Mercury has another shop in the Dupont Circle area, but it carries fewer fragrances so you'll still have to go to the Georgetown joint to get widest selection.
    Chris, you're awesome!! I finally made it today, and what a lovely place! Mercier, Molton Brown (black pepper!), the L'Artisans I've wanted to sniff and haven't (hated my Tea for Two elbow at first, but hours later, it's perfect), and Lutens! I'm Fleurs D'Oranger and Un Bois Vanille poorer than I was this morning, but happy.

Thanks so much for the recommendation.
    Katie

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    If you're in the Tyson's Corner area of the western suburbs the place to go is Art With Flowers in Tysons II Galleria mall. (Not in Tysons corner center, but across the wide and busy suburban roads in Tysons II Galleria, don't forget!) This place has many lines and changes them, dropping some and adding others, quarterly or twice a year. L'Artisan, Diptyque, I Profumo di Firenze, Parfums Rosine, and a bunch of other really good ones. My favorite sales people too--they love scents but know they aren't important in the scheme of things.

--Chris
    I was in Tyson's Corner at the Ritz Carlton (it adjoins the Galleria) for a business event, and the Nieman's SA, who was standing in front of the Great Wall of Creed, referred me to Art with Flowers when I asked for fragrances Nieman's didn't have. If you are ever near Art with Flowers, don't miss the chance to visit with the people there, and spend some time browsing through their collection of fragrances, candles, flowers and music. The folks who work the store own the store, and they see fragrance as just another way we create our own little environment for the day.

I learned a great deal while discussing different houses and fragrances with them, and they really know their stuff. Brought home Ambre Sultan for myself, Fiori di Capri (Carthusia) for my wife, and Tea for Two for both of us.

Art with Flowers is a dynamic group where both the products and the store layout changes regularly. While I was there, people from other stores in the Galleria would wander in just to see the latest changes. I hope I'll be able to visit again one day. Thank you Nila, Bill, and Jose for sharing your enthusiasm with me.

Hey everyone,

I have been living in DC for four years and I feel like I need to share my favorite fragrance haunts. Firstly, I love the Blue Mercury stores (on Connecticut north of Dupont Circle and on M Street in Georgetown near Sephora). Also, Art With Flowers (in Tyson's Galleria) is tied for the best stores for niche fragrances. As for mainstream fragrances I like Nordstrom the best as they (usually...) have the best SA's. Bloomingdales is good and Neiman Marcus carries all the Creeds. If you like Bond No. 9 definitely try Saks.

Locations of Dept. Stores:
    Bloomingdale's: Tyson's Corner Center, White Flint Mall (Bethesda/Rockville)
    Nordstrom: Montgomery Mall (Bethesda), Annapolis Mall, Columbia Mall, Fashion Centre at Pentagon City (Arlington/Crystal City), Tyson's Corner Center
    Neiman Marcus: Tyson's Galleria, Chevy Chase
    Saks 5th Ave.: Tyson's Galleria, 2 in Chevy Chase - Men's at Mazza Gallerie and Women's further up Wisconsin Ave.

Also, yesterday I was at Union Station and discovered Douglas Cosmetics. It was closed but through the window I could tell they had quite a selection including Bond No. 9 and many others. I will repost when I have more info about it, but it is a big store in Europe (under the name Parfumerie Douglas, the largest cosmetic retailer in Europe with 600 stores) and the German site lists a lot of good lines (http://www.douglas.de). There is also a store at 1145 Connecticut Avenue. American site: http://www.douglascosmetics.com/07.php.
    Last edited by adamajp1521; 24th April 2007 at 02:11 AM. Reason: error
    Check out my new blog: Hortus odorifera It's brand new, but it will include many articles about Fragrances and Botany and the interrelatedness of the two (as I have a degree in Plant Science). http://hortusodorifera.blogspot.com

If you have a slightly higher budget, I highly recommend Saks Fifth Avenue at Tyson's 2. It's the only place where I've felt that the salespeople were genuinely trying to help. Most of the store salespeople seem bothered that you want to buy something. The Saks saleswoman gave suggestions, described basenotes on some of them, and let me sample a multitude of fragrances. Came in looking for something citrusy, went out with Terre d'Hermes and some Burberry Brit bodywash to go with my Armani Code (which apparently has users that don't shower). :-P

Neiman Marcus is pretty good too, but not as helpful as Saks.

Just wanted to share my favorite perfume shops in DC with everyone after searching for the last five years that I've been here.

#1 - Art With Flower - 3rd Floor Tysons Galleria, McLean, VA

Very friendly independently owned art/florist/perfume shop that carries the best lines in the DC area. Also, if you are interested, they are also one of my favorite florists in the area (and as a horticulturalist I am very picky...). Oh and they have great candles, home fragrances and air diffusers!

Lines: Serge Lutens, L'Artisan, some CB I Hate Perfume, Santa Maria Novella, Yosh, Ineke, Rich Hippie, Carthusia, The Different Company, Miller Harris, Miller et Bertaux, Comptoir Sud Pacifique

#2 - Blue Mercury - Locations on M Street in Georgetown and Connecticut Ave. about 2 blocks north of Dupont Circle (I think they were adding a third store in Bethesda, but I'm not sure what its status is) The store in Georgetown is my favorite and carries more than the one in Dupont.

Blue Mercury carries many great fragrance lines as well as a lot of other good body products, candles, and cosmetics. They are also a full spa that I highly recommend.

Lines: Acqua di Parma, Serge Lutens, Creed, L'Artisan, Diptyque, Comptoir Sud Pacifique, Calypso Christian Celle, Fresh Index, Tocca, Molton Brown, Trish McEvoy, Laura Mercier,

#3 - Parfums de France - Tysons Corner Shopping Center, 1st Floor beside Macy's

This store is tiny, but has glass cases literally loaded with hard-to-find fragrances. They have testers for them if you ask (they are hidden in the dark). The prices are not really discounted if at all, but they do have a lot to look out.

Lines: Much broader array of the standard lines (YSL, etc.), lots of the Rochas, Caron, Creed, Guerlain, etc.

Recently opened/discovered Perfume Shopping in DC (since last post):

Bloomingdales in Chevy Chase: Carries the normal lines, but also carries the very difficult to find Acca Kappa line which I highly recommend.

Bellacara - King St., Old Town Alexandria, VA - Carries some L'Artisan and Creed, Tocca, Diptyque, Calypso Christian Celle, Molton Brown, Fresh Index

If anyone is in town and would like a guide...especially for perfume shopping, feel free to email me.
    Check out my new blog: Hortus odorifera It's brand new, but it will include many articles about Fragrances and Botany and the interrelatedness of the two (as I have a degree in Plant Science). http://hortusodorifera.blogspot.com

So we're going to run up to NoVA and DC for a little niche sniffa...is the info here still accurate? The current plan to head to Art with Flowers and then to Blue Mercury in Georgetown, and perhaps Parfums de France (because I love Caron). Is this a good plan or are there new places to check, or other changes? Thanks!!!

So far for fragrence shopps that I have been to there is

Galeries Des Parfums
    1130 Conneticut Ave NW
    (202) 659-0909

L'Octainne in Union Station
    50 Massachusetts Ave NE
    202-289-9851

Body Shop
    50 Massachusetts Ave NE
    202-898-7826

Just a quick post-trip follow-up: Art with Flowers, wonderful. The Saks in the same mall, excellent. Blue Mercury, not worth the trouble (nothing noteworthy scentwise and unacceptably rude staff).

Blog Entries

Parfums de France was really nice. I was there for about half an hour sampling and the man behind the counter was extremely nice and helpful. Ended up walking away with a bottle of Terre D'Hermes. I'll be back for sure.

Default Where to buy Penhaligons in DC?

I stopped by Saks at Tysons today, thinking I could pick up a bottle of Blenheim Bouquet. But Saks has evidently pulled back Penhaligons out of all stores except for NYC. Does anyone know where else to buy it locally?

LONDONS Bathecary
    206 East Water Street, Charlottesville, Virginia
    But I don't even know if they have a store front, and it depends on your threshold of "local". Might be worth checking out their website, though. Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by reneirwold878 View Post
    Parfums de France was really nice. I was there for about half an hour sampling and the man behind the counter was extremely nice and helpful. Ended up walking away with a bottle of Terre D'Hermes. I'll be back for sure.
    My friend and I were in that store and there were two girls working there... one of them seemed my age and she totally ended up hitting on me... she started suggesting all types of new designer colognes when I was only interested in seeing if they had any niche or older stuff. She was like "have you tried this? (showing me a bottle of AdG) It's my favorite on a guy!" I didn't want to be rude so I pretended I didn't know what it was and when she sprayed a card I pretended to be really into the stuff.

I told her I'd come back when I get my paycheck and my friend ended up buying Armani Code for his dad's birthday. But it's a pretty cool place overall - literally stacked wall to wall with boxes of fragrance!

Blog Entries

Visit during the week, in the day time if possible. The man who works then is the one who owns the store. He is absolutely helpful and does not mind letting you sample.
    Looking for:
    Versace Man eau Fraiche - Please PM me if you have it!

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...r8877/haha.jpg

One curious thing I've noticed about Parfums de France is that they often take new items out of the box for test sprays - especially if they don't have a tester sitting out. While this is great that they want to share fragrances with you and give you a chance to sample them. I'd never want to buy one of these previously-used bottles. So if you buy something from them, make sure that you get a shrink wrapped box.

And I had the same reaction to the young girls who work there...they are pretty clueless when it comes to fine fragrance. I asked her if she had any of the Guerlain extraits - and she had no idea what an extrait is. When I said that an extrait is a pure parfum, she pointed me to some of her EDPs. Geesh.

I've found the older gentleman helpful as well - he really knows his fragrances and doesn't rush you at all. Another good salesperson is Sheva, who works many weekday mornings. She runs a side business locating hard-to-find fragrances for folks, and she really knows her trade. It is fun comparing notes with her about obscure fragrances...

Teddius

This is really a fun thread. One I don't look at nearly enough. Thanks for your very kind words back on page one, Katie! (That's what I mean about how I don't look at this thread enough!)

I was in another area store this weekend: Bellacara in Old Town Alexandria. Southeast corner of the intersection of King and Patrick streets, but it might be King and Henry (I can't keep streets outside of DC straight). No full niche lines I don't think, but examples of L'Artisan, Creed, Diptyque, Christiane Celle Calypso, Susanne Lang, that Clean/Grace/Philosophy line thing, and there must be something else.

They have Jardin Clos, by Diptyque, for example, and I don't know of any other Diptyque dealer in the metro area that has that one, but the Creeds and L'Artisans can all be found at other of those dealers in the area.

The nice thing is that Bellacara sometimes has sales on stuff they're getting rid of. I got great deals on a few Diptyques they stopped carrying long ago, but I missed out on the Santa Maria Novella sale when they stopped selling that line (damn!). There's no predictability to these sales.

The owner is very kind and once helped me greatly by tracking down some Diptyque scents the story doesn't carry. Also salespeople are well informed and helpful. I seriously wish this store carried many more lines because it is such a pleasure to shop there.
    --Chris

Guerlain event this weekend at Nieman Marcus in Tysons II.

I got word last week that the VP for product development for Guerlain was bringing a "trunk show" to Nieman Marcus at the Tysons II Galleria this week. Evidently, they are taking appointments for half-hour one-on-one sessions with this Guerlain VP. The good news is that she is bringing almost the entire collection of limited edition fragrances (Parisienne line, etc). This is your chance to pick up beauties like Derby, Philtre d'Amour, Vetiver Pour Elle, Cuir Beluga, and more.

As I understand it, they will also have the scents available behind the Guerlain counter after this weekend (whatever is left over). And then over the coming weeks, NM is going to stock a broader line of limited edition Guerlains for general purchase. Evidently, Guerlain corporate wants to get a bit broader distribution of its top-shelf fragrances without losing their exclusivity...

See you there!

Teddius

Blog Entries

I went to the perfume shop by JCPenny's and they do seem to have a lot of frags locked up in glass cases. However, it was the saturday before mother's day and very busy. There was one woman there who seemed very helpful and she was being flocked by a lot of women and the other one who tried to help me didn't speak english. I tried to stick around but it was a zoo and I didn't get to sample anything. I'll be back for sure as I live a mile down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Teddius View Post
    One curious thing I've noticed about Parfums de France is that they often take new items out of the box for test sprays - especially if they don't have a tester sitting out. While this is great that they want to share fragrances with you and give you a chance to sample them. I'd never want to buy one of these previously-used bottles. So if you buy something from them, make sure that you get a shrink wrapped box.
    I noticed that as well when I went to go try TdH for the first time he had an opened box and let me sample it. I was ready to buy right away because it was so different and he offered me 20% off of the opened 1.7oz but I decided to get a brand new one instead...and you're right, it is expensive. I couldve gotten a brand new 3.4oz online for what I paid there. But he was so helpful and I like to support the little shopss.
    Last edited by reneirwold878; 14th May 2008 at 01:35 PM.
    Looking for:
    Versace Man eau Fraiche - Please PM me if you have it!

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...r8877/haha.jpg

where I can find Apres l'Ondee in Washington DC?

If you strike out in DC and want it today, and are up for a one hour drive, call the Fields Center in Pikesville, Maryland (a suburb of Baltimore). They usually have a bottle, along with much of the older Guerlain line. There's info on them in the Baltimore thread. And then you'll have had the pleasure of visiting Baltimore.

thank you for the hint Strollyourlobster

I haven't been to Tysons Corner recently but a few weeks ago I was at Reston Town Center and found a new perfume store called Paris Perfumes or something like that. To my surprise it was the same guy who owns Parfums de France at Tysons. He told me had to sell that store and opened the new store at Reston Town Center which seems like a bad location to me because it is not inside a mall. The selection was good with some rare stuff. I got me a bottle of Missoni Uomo.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Nowhere to try Montale, Lubin?

Quote Originally Posted by kronik View Post
    Nowhere to try Montale, Lubin?
    Parfums de France sells Montales, and other discontinured fragrances as well - my supplier of Jean Marc Sinan's V.O. He has othe rhigh end brands as well, Clive Christian, Amouage, etc.

I'm visiting DC starting tomorrow and I've never been there before. I'm going to be doing a lot of touristy stuff, but I'd like to do some sniffing around as well. Are there any places in DC to sample Les Exclusifs de Chanel or the Prada exclusive parfums?

I'll be in Washington DC next month and was wondering if anyone can tell me where I can find Frederic Malle, Tom Ford Private Blend, Helmut Lang and the upper end Guerlains (specifically Spiritueuse Double Vanille).

Anyone in the DC/Northern Virginia area should definitely check out Art with Flowers at the Tyson's Galleria. I have to give them a big thumbs-up because I went there today (I posted a thread in "Just Starting Out" about my quest for a new fragrance), and the owner was incredibly nice. I told him what kind of stuff I like, and he picked out about 8 things for me to try. I spent the rest of the time sampling and browsing, and they didn't bother me and let me take my time. They have a wide assortment of Lutens, L'Artisan, Keiko Mecheri, and dozens of other niche lines whose names I don't remember. And without even asking, they handed me a bag of free samples. So nice!

There's also a Neiman Marcus and a Saks at that mall, which is convenient. I know the Neiman Marcus has Guerlain, Creed, Prada, Jo Malone, and other high-end counters.

Also, for niche fragrances in downtown DC (specifically Georgetown), I can second the vote for Blue Mercury. Their sales assistants are a little too hands-on for my taste, but they have a good selection.

Bump.

I'll be in DC next week and would like to pick up a bottle of Carnal Flower if I can. Anyone know if Barney's in Georgetown carries the Malle line?

I'm also on the hunt for Montale if possible.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by Snafoo View Post
    Bump.

I'll be in DC next week and would like to pick up a bottle of Carnal Flower if I can. Anyone know if Barney's in Georgetown carries the Malle line?

I'm also on the hunt for Montale if possible.
    Both of the Barney's in the DC area (Chevy Chase and Georgetown) are Co-ops and they don't carry the Malle fragrances beyond Outrageous! unfortunately. As for Montale, I was very surprised to find them at the Parfums de France store when I was there in August. The owner was very helpful and let me smell several of the Aoud fragrances. They also had a huge selection of other fragrances there even though it's a small store.

Parfums De France
    8002 Tyson's Corner Center
    Mclean, VA 22102
    Phone: 703.734.0000
    http://perfumedefrance.com/

It's a little bit of a drive to the Tyson's Corner area, but if you do go you should also check out Art With Flowers. It was such a cool store and the best place for niche fragrances that I found.

Art With Flowers - 3rd Floor Tysons Galleria, McLean, VA
    Tysons Galleria - 1750 International Drive, McLean, Virginia 22102
    Last edited by jwpianoboe; 20th February 2010 at 06:43 AM.

Does anyone know if SL Fumerie Turque is anywhere to be had in the DC/Northern VA area these days? I checked Art With Flowers last weekend and it was not on the shelf with their other Lutens, and Blue Mercury's web site does not list it.

Thanks!

I just moved the DC area, so of course have been checking out the local fragrance haunts. Count me as another big +1 to Art with Flowers. The owners are incredibly nice, unpretentious, and helpful. We chatted for probably close to an hour about fragrances, perfumers, style, definitions of "luxury," and so on. A really great store with a pretty unique vibe. Right now they have L'Artisan, Lutens, Penhaligon's, Carthusia, SMN, TDC, Ineke, Amouage, ELDO, Yosh, Juliette has a Gun, as well as some others, including these colored fragrances that you dab on...

...and while you're there, also in the same mall are many boutiques. The Chanel boutique in particular had all the specialty Chanel fragrances. Of course, they looked at me like I was an escaped convict and watched me like I was about to grab a bottle and make a dash for the door, but hey, at least they have something tough to find. Nieman-Marcus of course has a ton of niche lines. Macy's has the designer lines. And there is a men's store called James that carries some of Bois 1920 line, as well as some Pal Zileri, Kiton, and Canali fragrances, which can be tough to find for sampling. There's also a men's grooming store right next to Art with Flowers that has some of the lines that seem to be popular with the grooming/barbershop crowd - Truefitt and Hill, for example, and a couple others I can't remember.

Also, for anyone considering a trip further out into the 'burbs of Gaithersburg to check out Rochelli's La Boutique - I stopped by yesterday and it seems to be closed. Their sign is down and the 2nd floor (where it was supposed to be located) is under construction and about to become a learning center. So, maybe this will save someone a wasted trip to Gaithersburg!

BTW, is there any chance of organizing a little DC meet-up to do some sniffing? PM if you're interested.

Parfums de France in Tysons Corner Center on the first level close to Macys carries Montale, Amouage, and other niche brands. Sammy the owner is nice and helpful.

Stopped at Tysons. Impressed by the (limited selection, but still) of ELDOs at Art of Flowers (got discontinued Vanilia there).
    And Parfums de France has some nice stuff in 50% clearance right now, got Fracas body powder, Bandit cream, Montana parfum d'elle. And (regularly priced) a vintage back-up bottle of Insense. I almost wanted to get another one, next time maybe. Globe Rochas as well, since I had heard so much about it.

cacio

I've shopped at Art With Flowers many times before, but never will again. Those people have a nasty streak to them.

My wife and I went there as part of a Sunday trip to the Galleria - I was hoping to pick up a new Ineke or ELdO. I mentioned to my wife that I would love to have the perfume coffee table book they had on the shelf for Christmas. She pulled out her phone to snap a picture of it so she'd be able to come back and get the right book. The brunette lady behind the counter boldly shouted at her "EXCUSE ME, what do you think you're doing?" When my wife tried to explain, she snapped back that she couldn't take a picture of anything without their expressed permission. When I tried to stop the lady from getting nastier to my wife, she condescendingly snapped at me that people like THEM don't do such rude things. Really? Taking a picture so she could buy me a Christmas gift? Not what I would call a 'rude' action.

I understand that they might not want people taking pictures of their items for sale (the lady tried to accuse us of being competitors looking at display ideas), but a simple polite question would go miles further than angrily shouting across the store.

I told her that they had lost long-time customers and a considerable amount of money (I'd spent hundreds of dollars there before but not again), the owner chimed in with "Well, now you'll have a picture to remember us by" in the most snippy way possible. He had the chance to rectify the situation and apologize, but he just continued down the hostile road the other lady had taken and we left the store.

I am still blown away at how rude they were and how they treated us. I've never encountered such nastiness from a small retail shop employee, much less the owner himself.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

I've shopped at Art With Flowers many times before, but never will again. Those people have a nasty streak to them.

My wife and I went there as part of a Sunday trip to the Galleria - I was hoping to pick up a new Ineke or ELdO. I mentioned to my wife that I would love to have the perfume coffee table book they had on the shelf for Christmas. She pulled out her phone to snap a picture of it so she'd be able to come back and get the right book. The brunette lady behind the counter boldly shouted at her "EXCUSE ME, what do you think you're doing?" When my wife tried to explain, she snapped back that she couldn't take a picture of anything without their expressed permission. When I tried to stop the lady from getting nastier to my wife, she condescendingly snapped at me that people like THEM don't do such rude things. Really? Taking a picture so she could buy me a Christmas gift? Not what I would call a 'rude' action.

I understand that they might not want people taking pictures of their items for sale (the lady tried to accuse us of being competitors looking at display ideas), but a simple polite question would go miles further than angrily shouting across the store.

I told her that they had lost long-time customers and a considerable amount of money (I'd spent hundreds of dollars there before but not again), the owner chimed in with "Well, now you'll have a picture to remember us by" in the most snippy way possible. He had the chance to rectify the situation and apologize, but he just continued down the hostile road the other lady had taken and we left the store.

I am still blown away at how rude they were and how they treated us. I've never encountered such nastiness from a small retail shop employee, much less the owner himself.

Very rude indeed. Do they think that's the way to sell expensive stuff? I had just discovered them and liked some of what they were carrying, but your description doesn't make me want to return there really. I always avoid business with stores where I was treated badly. I guess I'll keep buying ELdO etc in NYC.

On the positive side in DC, the guy at Galeries des Parfums in the Georgetown mall will soon have to move, and seems willing to sell stuff at a discount. He doesn't have much, but I got a few testers, and set my eyes on a Bal a versailles parfum.

cacio
    Last edited by cacio; 5th December 2011 at 08:43 PM.

Sorry to hear about awful encounter. I was in the store on Thursday of last week. I haven't ever encountered that kind of behavior before and I am a frequent visitor. I have only dealt with the bald owner. There is no excuse for what you had to put up with.

Yeah, it really is unfortunate. There aren't really any other options in the area for some of what they stock, but I can't justify that behavior (hednic, the bald owner was the guy who made the 'remember us by' remark). I've got all the ELdOs as samples and will order the Ineke sampler set, so Christmas will be saved.

I might be moving to Richmond in a few weeks, so it may be a moot point. Oh well - guess it's back to mail order sampling!

Cacio, thanks for the heads up! I forgot that the Georgetown mall was closing up and I've been to that shop a couple times. Maybe a deal on a tester or two will heal. Unrelated - I can't imagine how little fun it will be for the owner of the Pinball Museum there to get things shipped up to Baltimore.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Parfums de France in Tysons Corner Center on the first level close to Macys carries Montale, Amouage, and other niche brands. Sammy the owner is nice and helpful.
    Agree, here! They're quite accommodating and will source anything you're looking for. They even opened a new bottle of Nejma for me to sample once when they didn't have a tester.

I'm in DC now and wanted to see where's the best place to go in Georgetown or nearby. Looking for Lutens if possible. Saw some older posts and wanted to check what is still there. Thanks.

Not much downtown. Limited selection of Lutens at Bluemercury on M street in Georgetown (next to Sephora; note, there's a bluemercury also in dupont but they don't have Lutens there); they also have some Diptyque. If still open, there is/was a store in the Georgetown mall on M and Wisconsin, Parfums de France, which is moving and selling all their (few) remaining stuff. You might find some testers or the like (not Lutens, though). On the other side of M street relative to Sephora there's Lush, and a couple of blocks towards downtown there's a clothing store selling Penhaligons.

You really have to go to the outer exurbia (Tysons corner) for interesting stuff. Galerie de Parfums at the main Tysons corner mall is quite good (Amouage, Montales, old mainstream, etc etc).

cacio

Great. Thanks. I will head to Tyson's tonight. Anything there besides Galerie de Parfums?

In the main Tysons corner mall, not really, the usual dept stores. In the Galeria mall (a few hundred yards from the main Tysons mall), there's Art of flowers (lutens, some ELdO, Amouage, and others) and the Chanel boutique (Chanel exclusives).

cacio

Thanks. Hit both malls accidentally. Tried Amouage for the first time. Good, but not sure worth full retail price. SA couldnt have been nicer at Galerie de Parfums. Also liked Clive Christian C, but again not for the price. $375 for 50 ml?

Glad you enoyed the little DC has to offer in perfumes. Not all Amouages are worth, but some are (Gold man). I mostly use the Galerie de Parfums for hard to find mainstream (Metal, Insense, etc).

cacio

Ugh. Forgot to try Gold. Next time.

Went back to Tysons corner. Stopped at Art of flowers (not intentioned to buy anything because of jrdt's report), but they had the Piguets at 50% off (likely, they won't carry the brand anymore; after all Parfums de France does) - so I got the last bottles of Calypso and Futur (perhaps the testers are still available), 50ml for $45 each, sweet deal. there are still 50ml bandits left for the price (and the testers, if they sell those as well). 50% also Figue amere by Miller Harris and another one I forgot.

Parfums de France didn't have much of interest on sale (I had already raided the rack before christmas). Calandre at $150 seemed more expensive than I remembered. Picked a mini ($7) of Or black and Rabanne La nuit edp ($100). Is Iquitos ($60) worth it?

cacio

You can probably find a 100ml spray of Iquitos cheaper online. By the way, did you get a special discounted price from Sammy at Parfums de France?

Thanks! I like having a brick and mortar store, so I wouldn't mind paying a little more there than online. As long as the frag itself is worth it. (Incidentally, for those interested, I saw both an inexpensive Carven vetiver and Globe - I purchased Globe last time).

No Sammy there - I've been three times to the store - all saturdays, and there were the same two young ladies (Arabian or Indian?). They did give me some discount last time on regular frags (I bought several things, though mostly from the clearance bin). This time, they offered a $30 discount on the combo La nuit + Calandre, but I didn't feel ready to buy Calandre at that price, so it was just La nuit at the displayed price. But I've never seen Calandre elsewhere and so I might as well bite at some point, perhaps adding yet another bottle of Insense, currently listed at $90.

Incidentally, also for those interested. Art of Flowers still has a bottle of Artisan parfumeur fleur de narcisse. $250, please.

cacio

Well, I went on a sniffing spree today in the DMV area, went to Nordstrom at pentagon, Neiman Marcus in Mazza and Tysons, Saks at Tysons, Parfums de France, Art with Flowers, Blue Mercury amongst others. Was a great day, smelled lots of stuff. To back up what everyone has said, the guys at Art With Flowers are great, very knowledgeable and friendly. Picked up some Les Senteurs Gourmandes Vanille Chocolat for my daughters birthday (her first perfume) and he was nice enough to throw in handfuls of samples and made me a sample of his last tester bottle of Chergui. Picked up some Royal Oud from Nordstrom for myself. Blue Mercury in Georgetown now has the full line of Jo Malone and quite a few Diptyques.

Unfortunately the woman at Parfums de France was fairly rude. When I walked in she asked if I needed anything and I told her no thanks I was just browsing their collection. After about 5 mins she asked what specifically I was looking for and I told her I was probably going to pick up the Creed Royal Oud but I was torn between it and the Montale and the Amouage. Picked up the Royal Oud to give it one more sniff and she says dont spray that just smell the cap, I asked if it was a tester since it was half gone and she said yes but dont spray it, if you want to smell it smell the cap. So I said no thank you and purchased my Oud at Nordies. Unfortunate because she lost out on the Creed sale and she probably could have talked me into the Montale as well had she put forth a modicum of effort, I was also eying a bottle of Bond New York Amber. Oh well, her loss I guess. I will give them another shot when Sammy is there but from now on I will head down to Sephora if I see her working.

As you said - her loss and and no reason for her rudeness. I would have done the same thing you did, and if you do return speak to Sammy the owner who is there mornings during the week and tell him how rude his employee was.

For those who are interested, the cosmetics company outlet at the Queenstown Outlet mall has Tom Ford Tuscan Leather 100ml for 200.00 and the 50ml of Bois Marocain for 150.