Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Washington DC?

Default Re: Washington DC?

I went to both Art of Flowers and Parfums de France today. Art of Flowers was good, but the guy who was working there was not all that helpful. Nevertheless, they did have a good selection of Serge Lutens, Yosh, ELDO and several others I have not seen in the area. I ended up with a bottle of ELDO Tom of Finland.

Parfums de France was really great. Sammy was working and he was fabulous. Sammy took the time to show me a whole lot of different things including a bunch of Montale. Sammy has a ton of stuff in his little shop including a bunch of rare and discontinued stuff. Sammy also carries a bunch of higher end niche stuff like Montale, Amouge, Clive and others. This is a really great shop, and Sammy is wonderful and very knowledgable about his product. Sammy also told me that he can order anything he doesn't have in the store. I ended up leaving the store with two bottles of Montale (Blue Amber and Dark Oud). Sammy gave me a good deal on the two bottles and threw in a bunch of samples of other stuff I was interested in; really generous.

Both of these shops are great and worth visiting, but Parfums de France is a must of you're in the area.

Was back at Art of Flowers this weekend and noticed that almost all of their fragrances are 25% off, including Amouage, ELDO and Yosh

FYI: The Saks 5th Ave in Friendship Heights now has a By Kilian counter.
    “Women waste so much time wearing no perfume. As for me, in every step that I have taken in life, I have been accompanied by an exquisite perfume!”

― C. JoyBell C.

Did my yearly trip out to Tysons. Art of flowers has some Artisan Parfumeur creams on sale, as well as a patchouli patch half price (they don't seem to carry the line anymore). Also some Artisan-Bottega Veneta candles (you pay dearly for the intrecciato candle holder).

Parfums de France had some stuff on sale. I got a 100ml Vacances for $40. I also saw a Troisieme homme, 50ml old bottle that I had missed before-for $50 it was mine. And the owner offered me 30ml Bandit parfum for $150, which I wasn't really able to reject.

cacio

Basenotes Plus

Sounds like a good day. Congrats on the Bandit.

I saw today Arquiste at a clothing store on Cody's alley in front of Leopold's bakery. (Resmelling confirmed that it is not my favorite line).

Unfortunately, Bluemercury in Georgetown seems to have eliminated the Serge Lutens. One will have to go to the outer edges of suburbia to smell them then (though if they finally extend the subway line, it won't be that bad).

cacio

Parfums de France in Tysons Corner Mall now carries the entire Mancera Line of Fragrances!! This is as well as Montale, Amouage, Clive Christian, and many other niche brands. Sammy continues to be very accommodating and helpful.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I was there a couple of weeks ago. their supply of Insense is going down, thanks to a particular BNer.

Is Art with flowers still open in tysons 2? I didn't see it

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Is Art with flowers still open in tysons 2? I didn't see it

cacio
    They went out of business earlier this summer.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Parfums de France at Tysons Corner is now carrying the Parfums de Marly line of fragrances.

Basenotes Member

I took a little trip to the Leesburg outlets this weekend and it was a total waste of time. Barneys and Saks carried no fragrances and the Fragrance Outlet was a huge let-down.

Yes the prospects of finding anything of remote interest there are dismal. Tysons Galeria and Tysons Corner Center are much better options.
    Last edited by hednic; 7th July 2014 at 12:15 AM.

Had a weird experience at the Parfums de France store a while back. I am desperate to try out some guerlain's and asked to see what I could sample from that house. Several unopened bottles were placed in front of me by a somewhat surly employee who may or may not have had full command of the language. She looked at me, I looked at the bottles. She looked at me, I asked if I could sample. She looked at me, and said no. She wanted to to pay full price before smelling the liquids contained within the nice packages. I said no thanks to that kind offer.

There were 15 to 20 open bottles that I could have smelled/sampled. Of all of that only encre noir was of interest to me. When it was sprayed it seemed to evaporate extremely quickly.

Pity it didn't work out for me. I would have bought something for myself and probably come back for the wife's Christmas pressie. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    Had a weird experience at the Parfums de France store a while back. I am desperate to try out some guerlain's and asked to see what I could sample from that house. Several unopened bottles were placed in front of me by a somewhat surly employee who may or may not have had full command of the language. She looked at me, I looked at the bottles. She looked at me, I asked if I could sample. She looked at me, and said no. She wanted to to pay full price before smelling the liquids contained within the nice packages. I said no thanks to that kind offer.
    I have a good idea who you are talking about. I have dealt with her on several occasions. You probably would have had a more enjoyable experience if you had had the fortune of dealing with Sammy the owner instead.

Stopped in at Parfums de France on Thursday while attending a conference in Baltimore. Sammy, the owner, was there and we spent some time talking and sampling. I went to purchase one of the few remaining bottles of Insense (one left now) and tried out a number of others. I also wanted to purchase Oud Cuir de Arabie, but Sammy had only 100 ml. bottles, and I prefer, at my age, to get smaller sizes. Sammy sold me the 3.4 oz. for the price of the 1.7 and also threw in several samples of Amouage, including Interlude Woman, which I gave to one of my colleagues at the conferences (it smelled wonderful on her). He also graciously allowed me to walk out with a full wearing of Clive Christian X. Make sure to visit when Sammy is working.

Quote Originally Posted by Forlorn View Post
    Stopped in at Parfums de France on Thursday while attending a conference in Baltimore. Sammy, the owner, was there and we spent some time talking and sampling. I went to purchase one of the few remaining bottles of Insense (one left now) and tried out a number of others. I also wanted to purchase Oud Cuir de Arabie, but Sammy had only 100 ml. bottles, and I prefer, at my age, to get smaller sizes. Sammy sold me the 3.4 oz. for the price of the 1.7 and also threw in several samples of Amouage, including Interlude Woman, which I gave to one of my colleagues at the conferences (it smelled wonderful on her). He also graciously allowed me to walk out with a full wearing of Clive Christian X. Make sure to visit when Sammy is working.
    Doesn't surprise me. I've known Sammy since he bought the place from the previous owner. Sammy is good people.
    Last edited by hednic; 26th October 2014 at 09:46 PM.

Received a personal invitation to meet Francis Kurkdjian in person from 1PM-4PM at the Nieman Marcus in Tysons Corner, but I believe it's open to everyone so any one who might be interested, that's the info!

BTW, Sammy has at least one or two Tiffany for Men, which he described as offered in some type of leather flacon, in the warehouse. He offered me a great deal on one, but since I'm already stocked, I declined. I believe they may be 6.8 oz.

BTW, Sammy has at least one or two Tiffany for Men, which he described as offered in some type of leather flacon, in the warehouse. He offered me a great deal on one, but since I'm already stocked, I declined. I believe they may be 6.8 oz.
    Thanks for sharing this. Although I am not personally a Tiffany fan, many other Basenoters are, and those in the area like us would be happy to hear this and benefit from your news.

Just came back from there minutes ago. Picked up the one Monatle and Mancera I was missing from my collection and had a good talk with Sammy about Atmeh and Durrani.

Damn, wish I hadn't found this thread until after the holiday's. Now my patience is really going to be put to the test -- stand firm and wait until January to make the trip down 7 to explore this unknown (to me) wonder called Parfums de France, or give in to temptation and brave the pre-Xmas insanity of Tysons to check it out...

Quote Originally Posted by malacoda View Post
    Damn, wish I hadn't found this thread until after the holiday's. Now my patience is really going to be put to the test -- stand firm and wait until January to make the trip down 7 to explore this unknown (to me) wonder called Parfums de France, or give in to temptation and brave the pre-Xmas insanity of Tysons to check it out...
    My guess is that temptation is going to get the best of you!

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    My guess is that temptation is going to get the best of you!
    Indeed it did. Stopped in this afternoon. Was helped by a woman behind the counter who informed me samples were limited to the bottles already open on the counter (also said the same to a woman who walked in just after I did who asked if she could smell the contents of a closed box). So, my exploration of scents was narrowed to those few common counter-top samples I haven't already smelled elsewhere. Probably a good thing though since I was passing by on the way to an appointment and didn't have much time to linger...

Am sure I'll be by again sometime after the holidays to explore more.

Sammy is probably more friendly than the woman. But still, if they only have a bottle and it's sealed, one cannot smell. Still, if it's like last year, they had the Amouage and Mancera on the counters.

Have you noticed the bottles of now discontinued Insense'? (as well as my favorite Paco Rabanne Metal and Calandre, though they wised up on those, and they quoted me $140 or so, which is too much).

cacio

Indeed it did. Stopped in this afternoon. Was helped by a woman behind the counter who informed me samples were limited to the bottles already open on the counter (also said the same to a woman who walked in just after I did who asked if she could smell the contents of a closed box). So, my exploration of scents was narrowed to those few common counter-top samples I haven't already smelled elsewhere. Probably a good thing though since I was passing by on the way to an appointment and didn't have much time to linger...

Am sure I'll be by again sometime after the holidays to explore more.
    The woman was Siri and she is very nice also but probably won't be able to authorize any discount as would Sammy. Glad you had a chance to stop in.

Sorry Cacio, I didn't take notice.

I was a little pressed for time during this visit. When I realized only one of the half dozen or scents I curious about right now was currently available to sample, I didn't linger long enough to explore other samples, or take note of what was stocked beneath, and behind, the counters.

I'll most likely stop back in a few weeks when I have more time and the holiday shopping crowds have eased up. When I do, I'll be sure to ask about the Insense, PR Metal, and Calandre, and either PM you or post in the thread about their availability.

As for the woman, she was quite pleasant. I'm ashamed to say I did not catch her name while I was there; thank you 'introducing' her Hedic.
    Last edited by malacoda; 19th December 2014 at 02:49 PM.

As for the woman, she was quite pleasant. I'm ashamed to say I did not catch her name while I was there; thank you 'introducing' her Hedic.
    Happy to hear you experience was a good one.