Code of Conduct

Default Essie Nail Polish

Any fans of this brand? Rants or Raves for the quality?

Bought two bottles on ebay,really cheaply about £2.50 each they have to come from America. I usually use OPI and was wondering how Essie compare?
    DONNA

Default Re: Essie Nail Polish

Not familiar with the brand, it's not available here.

My fave "cheapie" is Mavala.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Thumbs up Re: Essie Nail Polish

I love Essie nail polish! OPI is my first preference but there are sometimes colors OPI doesn't carry that I love. Essie is a great lacquer much like OPI.
    When I smell good, I feel good! Sounds easy doesn't it? It is...a pleasant scent is great for good moods!!

Essie is in ALL nail salons in NYC. Since my friends and I go often and compare colors, brands, etc., we've come to the conclusion that most Essies wear better than most Opis. Essie also has a HUGE range of colors.
    Beauty is but the sensible image of the Infinite.
    Like truth and justice it lives within us; like virtue and the moral law it is a companion of the soul.
    -George Bancroft {1800-1891 American Historian}

=

current favorites:
    Balmain Jolie Madame, Serge Lutens Muscs Kublai Khan
    =

Thumbs up Re: Essie Nail Polish

Really as far as quality goes, Essie and OPI (say it like you are saying the three individual letters, not like the boy on the Andy Griffin show, Opie) are neck and neck. To really help the polish last on natural nails, it's all in the base coat my lovelies.... I recommend either Bonder by Orly or Stickey by Creative. Both of these are especially formulated to help polish last longer on natural, enhancement free nails. And for a wonderful fast drying shiny top coat, go with Poshe. All of these can be found at Sally beauty supply (for us americans) As far as overseas maybe if you google them you can find a local supplier.

Essie is famous for their at-the-time daring red-black "Wicked" released in the 90s.

i happen to have wicked! i love the colour! theY have a nice collection too bad its seasonal and temporarly available

I just love Essie nail polish! It's colors are so beautiful.
    Last edited by socalwoman; 27th September 2010 at 05:09 PM.

Basenotes Plus

The new fall collection is wonderful! I'm wearing Sew Psyched right now.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Oh my bottle of Merino Cool just arrived today. Thinking of Sew Psyched, is it very green?
    DONNA

I love Essie but I wouldn't special order it unless there were no other options. They have a great range of colors. I like OPI, too. I agree about the base and top coats being important. I had to stop wearing nail polish for a while. My nails were getting soft and splitting a lot - I believe from all the nail polish. So I went nekkid all summer. Now that fall is here I find myself craving dark reds and other colors on my nails.

Essie is now available here in Finland, too. It's more expensive than OPI so I haven't tried it yet...

Bought my first bottle of Essie nail polish at Stockmann in Tallinn where it was on sale, only 6€! The shade that caught my eye was Really Red. Report will follow...

Hillaire

I really love their sheer pinks and nudes that make the white part pop and look super white! It's like magic to me, and I love that some of them shine, some are matte, and some are opalescent. It's my preferred manicure style.

For my feet, though I like Essies reds. It's my favorite polish brand hands down. It really lasts.

Finally wearing Really Red. Love the color! It was the most eye-catching one in the row of Essie's red cremes. The formula is thin, easy to apply, not at all messy and the polish dries quickly. But it takes three coats to receive the shade in the bottle.

Will definitely try other Essie shades, too.

I have to order from overseas and I really like that brand. Wicked is my favourite colour and I bought this light lavender one. Forget the name. Also bought Turquoise and Caicos but because I'm pale, it doesn't look good on me at all. What a waste. I want to buy another bottle of Wicked because mine got all clumpy. Can anyone recommend other nice vampy shades in the Essie line?

OPI is my fave but they're $20 for a bottle here compared to like, $6 on ebay from the USA. Unfortunately the shipping makes it more expensive but cheaper than buying here.

yes i also love vampy colours, allthough im not pale i can handle them

you can try essie's limited addiction or clutch me if you can (lil HTF buy i know a good seller on ebay who has it)
    or damsel in a dress, sexy divide

or red nouveau

go google them ;-)
    Last edited by ladymorrigan; 15th April 2011 at 03:34 PM.

BUT im starting to like OPI a bit more bc of the brushes (A)

Thanks! I liked Damsel and Clutch the best. That's why I like OPI better too - the brushes. They're thicker and it makes it much easier to apply.

yes indeed! and if you look close enough you can allmost replace your whole collection with OPI, haha they also have similair colours

I have Fair Game from their 2011 Resort collection on its way from ebay. Also OPI Meet Me On The Star Ferry which was only £2.40+ as its from last year's Hong Kong collection.

Ebay US is your friend for both Essie and OPI, I can get two bottles including shipping for what I would pay for one bottle RRP here.

QVC UK the shopping channel have an OPI TSV this week, from the Texas collection. Don't fancy the colours they have in the kit they are selling.
    DONNA

Basenotes Plus

seaofghosts, I did the same thing you did. Wish I had read this thread before I bought Turquoise and Caicos. Although I do own ESSIE polishes, I find them to be thin. As Tig said, you have to apply three coats (minimum for me) to get the color in the bottle.

OPI is a bit better as far as the paintability & color payoff.

However, I have recently "discovered" Deborah Lippmann & Butter London brands. They are more expensive, with fewer colors to choose from but the formula(s) are excellent.

I'd rather purchase fewer polishes & use them more.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

I have Essie's Ballet Slippers and find it very long-lasting and beautiful.
    It's a very pale whitish pink.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

Essie has recently been easy to find i Sweden, but being a fan of Mavala and Dior, I haven´t tried it yet.
    Faves right now: Chanel No 19, Stella Rose Absolute, L´Heure Bleu, Elixir de Merveilles, Samsara.