Code of Conduct

Thread: Silver Rain

Default Silver Rain

G'day girls! How are we all today? I hope we're feeling, smelling and looking great!

I have a quick question about Silver Rain by La Prarie - I tried it on a card today. To me it smells very expensive and sophisticated, with a slight chocolatey or foody flavour. (Is that what they call gourmand?)

I wouldn't see it as an everyday fragrance.

Any body have any opinions on this one?

Cheers!

QuietEarth

Default Re: Silver Rain

I love this beautiful and complex fragrance. I think it's the initial blast of anise that gives it a chocolately flavor but that fades somewhat, preventing it from developing into a gourmand scent. In the beginning, it leans more toward a fruity/chypre, but as it blends with your chemistry, it continues to evolve with the floral notes coming into the picture. This is a perfume that takes a little time to settle in and get acquainted before it blooms into all it has to offer. Listed below are the notes from the La Prairie site:

Top notes of crisp green apple, verbena flower, calabrain, bergamot, anise and crushed coriander. Heart notes of dewfruit berry, plum, crystallized sugar accord, gardenia and tuberose blossom. Base notes of red sandalwood, rare agarwood, tonka bean, vanilla.

From what I have read, Silver Rain was a disappointment to many because the name and description did not aptly reflect the scent itself . . . and that is true. Had it been marketed differently, I think it would have been more successful.

JAG

Quote Originally Posted by JAG

From what I have read, Silver Rain was a disappointment to many because the name and description did not aptly reflect the scent itself . . . and that is true. Had it been marketed differently, I think it would have been more successful.

JAG
    I think you're right! But I have only tested it on a card, so you never know... I was expecting something different because of the name. But then, at the price I've seen it ($(AU)250.00 for 50ml) I won't be buying it anytime soon...

personnally i think it smells like a chinese candle shop, extremely sweet and cheap. but somehow it reminds me of Boucheron's Initial Eau de Parfum, because of the spices, so you could give it a try
    La Science des RÍves

I tried Silver Rain today and I was expecting a crisp, cool, fragrance. What it actually smelled like to me was a member of the Angel family. Very gourmand, but not as over-the-top as Angel, and not as spicy-sweet licorice as Lolita Lempicka. I have no idea why they named it thusly, as it is definitely a sweet gourmand scent. I found it more pleasant and lighter than Angel. Great bottle.