Code of Conduct

Default Chanel's Cuir de Russie

Hi,
    Anyone ever use or try Chanel's Cuir de Russie, the toilette or the perfume? If so, does the toilette have decent sillage and lasting power, also is the perfume too floral for a guy? I'm primarly interested in the leather note.

Default Re: Chanel's Cuir de Russie

I love the parfum; it's one of my all-time favorites. The EdT is harsher. Whether the parfum is "too floral" for you depends on your tolerance and taste, but it is superb!

Funny, I was just discussing this very topic today with someone.

Cuir is, in fact, most decidedly masculine with incredible leathery notes that permeate from heart to base. In my opinion, it certainly reflects the masculine side of Mlle Chanel as does her earlier work of Bois des Illes. Think of a moist exposed leather saddle permeated by a light snow put beside a crackling wooded fireplace to dry. The Eau de Toilette can certainly stand on it's own two legs!

When it was first presented to me, I pondered whether it was a masculine scent? but I have been told although it was marketed towards to a female market, there is nothing feminine about it at all.

For me, the perfect attire to wear with it...turtleneck, leather jacket/coat, faded jeans and something cashmere around the neck.

Marian Bendeth
    "Fragrance weaves a necklace of perfumed memories" M.B.
    "If perfume be the food of love, spray on' M.B.

Thanks Sillage6 for your impressions of Cuir de Russie,

I've only tried Cuir de Russie in parfum form and from what I remember, it does have floral elements however, the leather and tar is so strong in this one, I would hardly consider it solely to be a woman's fragrance.

The parfum is incredibly rich and once I overdid it and found myself drowning in overflowing ashtrays it was so strong. Lightly, it is much more restrained with a light floral note in the beginning and then warm smoke, tar, and tanned leather.

If you like a smoky leather, don't be shy- this one will not disappoint.
    Scent is such a lovely, simple pleasure!

I have the parfum. Think a very well worn loved leather jacket and over the years fragrances you have worn have become part of the leather,that is Cuir de Russie. I get more faintly herbal notes rather than flowers. The parfum is quite skin close to be honest,Bois des Iles has more sillage.

Yes a man could wear both.
    DONNA

Further replies in this thread, please:
    http://community.basenotes.net/showt...820#post898820
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."