Code of Conduct

Default What are your favorite colognes?

I was thinking about doing a poll, but then realized that I would never know all the cologne waters out there.

It needn't be a traditional cologne (a la 4711), of course. I'd like to ask what you look for in a cologne, what you consider the hallmarks of a good cologne, and what your favorite cologne is.

Mine just happens to be Nenuco, a cheapie from childhood that I don't hesitate putting in a small plastic sprayer that I can stick in the refrigerator for those hottest of days. It's got that 'refreshing' smell we all associate with colognes, but, unlike most colognes, lasts longer than a few seconds. It dries down to a very clean musk scent on me, but never loses that 'clean' smell. I guess that "clean" smell--that verbena, lemonish, bergamot smell--is what I look for.

Unhappy Re: What are your favorite colognes?

I have a great old bottle of Mitsouko in cologne which is stunning, I bought it on ebay and have been pretty lavish with it these august nights.
    I wish I had more of it! and I also wish cologne was more readily available in the scents I love..used to be, but I'm showing my age here

Default Re: What are your favorite colognes?

One of my Top Fives is a 'female' cologne; the absolutely wonderful L'Air du Desert Marocain

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

Santa Maria Novella do an amazing collection of
    wonderful colognes including the eponymous
    Eau de Cologne de SMN. It is very refreshing
    with bergamot and other herbal notes. My friends
    daughter bought a Rose scented one whilst we were in
    Florence, but they do loads such as Mimosa, Verbena,
    Orange Blossom, Peau d'Espagne, Magnolia,Freesia
    etc.- all with very high standards of preparation and
    quality ingredients.Cost is around 40 euros a bottle (100ml)

I guess when I think of cologne I think of something like Jean Naté- which is quite lovely but very fleeting on me- so fleeting I don't tend to wear it.

It seems most of my favorite colognes are from the Etro line: Ambra, Gomma, Messe de Minuit, Patchouly and Sandalo. Strangely none of them would be considered "traditional" by cologne standards I guess- no refreshing lemons or citrus notes throughout and while I do wear some of them in the summer, I don't care for Messe de Minuit in the summer at all- it really is more of a winter time fragrance for me. I'm not exactly sure why Etro calls them colognes either. Colognes to me usually add a burst of fragrance and then fade pretty quickly leaving just a lingering of scent on the skin. All the Etros last a while on me, so I'm not sure the concentration is lacking here.

Another cologne that I dearly enjoy is Té by Creative Universe. This one does have refreshing, clean notes- a splash of citrus and then tea notes that stay awhile. It's only very slightly floral and hardly sweet at all.

I also have some Shalimar in an Eau de Cologne. I find it really interesting in that it has a spicy/citrus opening but then quickly fades to soft powdery notes. It's almost as if the heart notes are completely missing and the robust vanilla dryout of the other concentrations has been toned down. It's very pretty but not very long lasting on me.

As far as what I personally look for in colognes, I can't say that it's anything in particular, mostly because I don't court them outright. If I come across a fragrance that I enjoy wearing and it happens to be a cologne concentration, so be it. Otherwise the title is mostly arbitrary I think (unless I'm specifically looking for a parfum concentration of something- then it becomes pretty important.)
    Scent is such a lovely, simple pleasure!

Angelique sous le pluie by Frederic Malle.
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS