Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 60 of 81
  1. #1
    Serpent
    Guest

    Default Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme

    I just received Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme in a swap - it had been lingering in my wishlist for ages - and I am thrilled. This is so fantastic. I can't remember the last time I was this happy about a fragrance acquisition. (It was probably Kenzo pour Homme last year.)

    I've often compared Yves Saint Laurent's Jazz to Hermès' Équipage as a sort of "Équipage Lite," the milder, softer, friendlier carnation scent, tempered with wood and musk, burnished and leavened and softened from the bigger, bolder Hermès. I also see a relation between that Hermès and Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme; the Van Cleef & Arpels scent strikes me as "Équipage Extrême," loaded with strong animal notes, bolder, heavier wood tones, and a slightly more powdery character. The florals are turned down, but that characteristic carnation-clove smell is still the heart of the scent.

    The opening is somewhat frightening, with a pungent, herbal, smoky-sour smell that reminds me of the smell of cigarette smoke and chewing tobacco colliding together. I can't say I'm entirely fond of the first five minutes of Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme on my skin. But then this wonderful, dry woody smell wisps up. Pine and juniper, cedar and patchouli and clove. It's all wonderfully smooth and crisp. The smell reminds me of some of the cooler, woodier Comme des Garçons Incense Series scents - Zagrosk, or Kyoto without the coffee note, perhaps. The sharpness of many of the scents of this era - Fendi Uomo, Kouros, Polo, Aramis - is lacking from the top and heart notes of Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme. (It shares this trait with the classic Hermès scents.)

    The "high quality soap" smell of Équipage is most definitely in effect with Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme, too. However, the soap is just a portion of the experience in the scent. The floral notes - jasmine and armfuls of beautiful carnation - do not bloom in full until the base, entwined with pronounced, sharp animal notes. It is a wonderful inversion here: The wood notes play in the heart, clear and dry, and the flowers roll in the sexual musks and leather notes. And there is a significant floral component to the scent, as opposed to herbal notes, which, I feel, works for Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme and keeps the scent from being harsh and loud on the drydown. Rather than an astringent quality as Kouros has, Van Cleef & Arpels has a more powdery texture. This is a soft, quiet leathery chypre (if there is such a thing). This is an old school chypre for men who hate old school chypres.

    This is a beautiful scent, a true masterpiece that seems to have slipped unfairly into the darker recesses of fragrance history. As it has begun to work into its final phases, all the notes begin to run together into a sort of piney rose smell. There's a touch of sweetness that's entrancing. While Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme is not terribly heavy (it's no Rocabar), this is definitely a scent for cooler weather. (With its marvelous, crisp evergreen notes, Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme strikes me as a perfect scent for Christmastime.) The strength is formidable; as with all such scents of this genre, a light hand should be used when applying.

    Anyone who is a fan of leathery chypres should try this scent. Anyone who has wanted to find a leathery chypre but has been unable to find one amongst the more famous names should try this, too - it's clearly the most user-friendly. And any Équipage fan - or anyone who has complained that Équipage is nice but just too weak - should test this scent out. Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme is marvelous, marvelous stuff.

  2. #2
    The Bark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Somewhere in New York
    Posts
    1,802
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme

    I prefer this one much more to the likes of Trussardi which I ended up selling away, dispite the fact that it's becoming harder to come by. VC&A just reeks of class and is one of the best of its kind. Congrats on the find!

  3. #3
    zztopp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    the Dirty South
    Posts
    6,632
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme

    This is one of my favorites, and one of the first fragrances that I invested in after joining basenotes (not because it was much talked about here, but because a friend referred it to me). A rich, complex, leathery mens floral, it smells grand with incredible sillage and longevity.
    -

  4. #4
    Serpent
    Guest

    Default Re: Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme

    Yeah, the rule of big leathery chypres for me:

    Leather + Herbs =
    Leather + Flowers =

    Kouros, Fendi Uomo, Trussardi Uomo - they all tend to fit into the top equation. Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme fits into the bottom.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme

    Glad to see the VC&A is working for you Serpent. On me it just did not develop on my skin; it was a straight dark rose frag.

    Trussardi Uomo works on me though.

    I'm thinking these frags must be veddy skin dependent.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]MisterK / Vicomte de K / K[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]

  6. #6
    Serpent
    Guest

    Default Re: Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme

    I mentioned this on a another board, and someone went shopping for it. She came back and asked if she should get the "old" or "new" VC&A pour Homme. The website she was shopping on was selling two versions of the fragrance, and I have seen two different bottles, with the newer bottles' having "pour Homme" printed on them where the old ones did not. (I recommended the old.) As with Tsar and First, it seems this fragrance has been reformulated. I believe the newer juice is more powdery and floral, less dark and animalic.

  7. #7
    Dependent pluran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Rusk
    Posts
    6,523
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme

    Amazing juice. One of the few that always satisfies.

    Hell of a review.
    Last edited by pluran; 29th August 2006 at 05:22 AM.

  8. #8
    foetidus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The Great North Woods
    Posts
    3,888
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme

    Great review on a great fragrance.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    572
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme

    I've had a sample of this forever - since I was first starting out. I remember that then I thought this scent seemed a little stuffy and old fashioned to me. Your review spurred me to dig this out of it's hiding place. Wow - great stuff. It really softens out quickly after those very sharp top notes. Such a beautifully soft soapy scent with tons of depth. It also seems to start hinting towards some amber in the drydown. Refined and macho at the same time - alpha male of the boardroom vibe. Thanks for the great review.
    Last edited by baron; 29th August 2006 at 05:22 AM.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    120
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme

    Quote Originally Posted by Serpent
    Yeah, the rule of big leathery chypres for me:

    Leather + Herbs =
    Leather + Flowers =

    Kouros, Fendi Uomo, Trussardi Uomo - they all tend to fit into the top equation. Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme fits into the bottom.

    How do you feel about Antaeus, Serpent? Easily my favorite of the leather chypres. Though VC&A is great, the heavy floral character smells SO formal to me. I can get by with Antaeus in more situations.

  11. #11
    Serpent
    Guest

    Default Re: Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme

    Quote Originally Posted by Dayknight
    How do you feel about Antaeus, Serpent? Easily my favorite of the leather chypres. Though VC&A is great, the heavy floral character smells SO formal to me. I can get by with Antaeus in more situations.
    It's been a long time since I've tried Antaeus, and of all these types of scents, none flies off my skin faster than Antaeus. It just does not last. It seems to have the heaviest leather component - leather does not typically stick well to me - plus it a lot of incense and wood, notes that don't work on my skin, especially without a fixative. (Kouros has a touch of vanilla, at least, while VC&A has some amber.) I should try it again, but I just haven't had an opportunity. I've never had a sample, and wandering around stores wearing it, Antaeus is gone in twenty minutes. I've never gotten as good a reading of it as I have with Kouros (which I've worn full-on several times) and many others, and it's been a so long since I've even smelled Antaeus now that I don't feel even comfortable putting Antaeus in these listings anymore.

    What I do recall, though, is Antaeus seems a one-off, very dry, woody, and aloof. Bel Ami, which is also often lumped into this group, I don't consider one of these, either. It's too spicy and foody in my mind.

  12. #12
    Dependent pluran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Rusk
    Posts
    6,523
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme

    ...
    Last edited by pluran; 2nd February 2007 at 05:07 AM.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme

    Quote Originally Posted by Serpent
    I just received Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme in a swap - it had been lingering in my wishlist for ages - and I am thrilled. This is so fantastic. I can't remember the last time I was this happy about a fragrance acquisition. (It was probably Kenzo pour Homme last year.)

    I've often compared Yves Saint Laurent's Jazz to Hermès' Équipage as a sort of "Équipage Lite," the milder, softer, friendlier carnation scent, tempered with wood and musk, burnished and leavened and softened from the bigger, bolder Hermès. I also see a relation between that Hermès and Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme; the Van Cleef & Arpels scent strikes me as "Équipage Extrême," loaded with strong animal notes, bolder, heavier wood tones, and a slightly more powdery character. The florals are turned down, but that characteristic carnation-clove smell is still the heart of the scent.

    The opening is somewhat frightening, with a pungent, herbal, smoky-sour smell that reminds me of the smell of cigarette smoke and chewing tobacco colliding together. I can't say I'm entirely fond of the first five minutes of Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme on my skin. But then this wonderful, dry woody smell wisps up. Pine and juniper, cedar and patchouli and clove. It's all wonderfully smooth and crisp. The smell reminds me of some of the cooler, woodier Comme des Garçons Incense Series scents - Zagrosk, or Kyoto without the coffee note, perhaps. The sharpness of many of the scents of this era - Fendi Uomo, Kouros, Polo, Aramis - is lacking from the top and heart notes of Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme. (It shares this trait with the classic Hermès scents.)

    The "high quality soap" smell of Équipage is most definitely in effect with Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme, too. However, the soap is just a portion of the experience in the scent. The floral notes - jasmine and armfuls of beautiful carnation - do not bloom in full until the base, entwined with pronounced, sharp animal notes. It is a wonderful inversion here: The wood notes play in the heart, clear and dry, and the flowers roll in the sexual musks and leather notes. And there is a significant floral component to the scent, as opposed to herbal notes, which, I feel, works for Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme and keeps the scent from being harsh and loud on the drydown. Rather than an astringent quality as Kouros has, Van Cleef & Arpels has a more powdery texture. This is a soft, quiet leathery chypre (if there is such a thing). This is an old school chypre for men who hate old school chypres.

    This is a beautiful scent, a true masterpiece that seems to have slipped unfairly into the darker recesses of fragrance history. As it has begun to work into its final phases, all the notes begin to run together into a sort of piney rose smell. There's a touch of sweetness that's entrancing. While Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme is not terribly heavy (it's no Rocabar), this is definitely a scent for cooler weather. (With its marvelous, crisp evergreen notes, Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme strikes me as a perfect scent for Christmastime.) The strength is formidable; as with all such scents of this genre, a light hand should be used when applying.

    Anyone who is a fan of leathery chypres should try this scent. Anyone who has wanted to find a leathery chypre but has been unable to find one amongst the more famous names should try this, too - it's clearly the most user-friendly. And any Équipage fan - or anyone who has complained that Équipage is nice but just too weak - should test this scent out. Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme is marvelous, marvelous stuff.
    I'm glad to be in good company, I purchased it last Easter & I concur with your review that it is a masterpiece & a forgotten gem. I also find this elegant fragrance to be suitable in any kind of weather.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme

    Great review Serpent. A wonderful fragrance indeed. The first time I tried it I found some similarities with Yatagan.

    Quote Originally Posted by magnnum
    I'm glad to be in good company, I purchased it last Easter & I concur with your review that it is a masterpiece & a forgotten gem. I also find this elegant fragrance to be suitable in any kind of weather.
    And it can be bought extremely cheap as well.
    « L'odeur de rose, faible, grâce au vent léger d'été qui passe, se mêle aux parfums qu'elle a mis.»
    [ Paul Verlaine ]
    Wardrobe

  15. #15

    Default Re: Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme

    Another fan here, too. Equipage is probably my most worn scent, but I love turning to VC&A in cooler weather for more dressy occasions. Alpha male, indeed.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme

    Nice review! Does Van Cleef & Arpels PH smell anything similar to Tsar?

  17. #17
    Serpent
    Guest

    Default Re: Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme

    Quote Originally Posted by Markymark
    Nice review! Does Van Cleef & Arpels PH smell anything similar to Tsar?
    It's in the same family, but Tsar is much lighter and greener, more transparent. Tsar reminds me of Coast soap, or like a greener version of Jazz. Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme is a richer, more powdery and animalic scent, more formal and heavier. But I would think fans of Tsar would almost certainly enjoy Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme

    I agree Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme is a classic - have yet see a scent launched recently in the likes of this.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme

    I'm thinking of getting a bottle of VC&A
    I want the old version. Can anyone describe the old bottle design vs the new bottle.

  20. #20
    Serpent
    Guest

    Default Re: Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme

    Quote Originally Posted by mason
    I'm thinking of getting a bottle of VC&A
    I want the old version. Can anyone describe the old bottle design vs the new bottle.
    I think one of the tell-tale signifiers of the new formulations of the new Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme bottles is the inclusion of "pour Homme" on the bottle. (In fact, the Van Cleef & Arpels Parfums website seems to refer it as just "pour Homme," and this actually comes before the company name. The old bottles also have a gold band under the top of the sprayer, whereas the new bottles do not; they are all black.

    One can see pictures of both bottles on PerfumeBay's page for the scent, but PerfumeDistributor.com is the site that makes a point of distinguishing the old formulation and the new.

  21. #21
    Dependent pluran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Rusk
    Posts
    6,523
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme

    Quote Originally Posted by Serpent
    I think one of the tell-tale signifiers of the new formulations of the new Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme bottles is the inclusion of "pour Homme" on the bottle. (In fact, the Van Cleef & Arpels Parfums website seems to refer it as just "pour Homme," and this actually comes before the company name. The old bottles also have a gold band under the top of the sprayer, whereas the new bottles do not; they are all black.

    One can see pictures of both bottles on PerfumeBay's page for the scent, but PerfumeDistributor.com is the site that makes a point of distinguishing the old formulation and the new.
    Glad I caught that info.
    Last edited by pluran; 2nd February 2007 at 05:06 AM.

  22. #22
    Serpent
    Guest

    Default Re: Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme

    If anyone can describe the differences between the formulas in more detail, I'd like to read about it. I think the reformulations of Tsar have been detailed here, and I've read about the scandalous changes to First - a dazzling, unbelievably complex scent that can hardly seem to be from the now-hyperminimalist Ellena - so I'm wondering what changes there are to Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme. It's been awhile since I smelled the new formula at Sephora, and not only do they don't carry Van Cleef & Arpels scents at the local Sephoras any longer, the Van Cleef & Arpels boutique on Rodeo Drive only sells First and Murmure. (What's up with that?)

    Can anyone make a fresher comparison?

  23. #23
    abimanyu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jakarta
    Posts
    364
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme

    chanel antheaus! love the dry down! Not too crazy about the top note but my girlfriend just love the dry down!
    Top faves: Aramis Devin,Balenciage PH,Zino Davidoff,Trussardi Uomo,BlackXS,Sybaris,Furyo,HoHangClub,Santos Sport,KriziaSpazio,CarverVetiverDry,GIT,AmberSulta n,TeaForTwo,Dzing.
    My drobe: www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/47

  24. #24
    gupts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    S/E suburb
    Posts
    3,922
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme

    I ordered this on ebay..the seller had this older bottle shown in the pic..i went ahead and ordered it...i am so disappointed to receive the newer 'pour homme' version...though i dont know what the 'old' Van cleef & arpels edt smells like but this one is so powdery...like Lagerfeld Photo...i have just had one wearing of this one...hope i can detect something else as well that makes me like this one...

    gupts

  25. #25
    graffham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    2,461
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme

    VC&A's pour homme is truly a handsome scent. The lingering effects of the drydown are calming and soothing, like a rest after a march in the French countryside.

    My only problem is trying to find the complete product line,ie, deo stick, a/s balm, etc. AND 'where' to find it aside from on-line sourcing.

    Tsar has been pulled from most of the stores in here in Canada and I never could find the 'pour homme' until a small mixed bag boutique opened and then subsequently went out of business in a matter of days.

    Does anyone know what is going on with the VC&A fragrance line for men? And finally, has the 'pour homme' been strictly 're-packaged' or just 'reformulated'?
    Last edited by graffham; 27th October 2006 at 01:08 PM.

  26. #26
    Dimitrios's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Beyond the Blue Mountains
    Posts
    3,115
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme

    One of my favorites since its release !! you know your onto something good when your girlfreind recomends it to you and upon first sniff your smiling from cheek to cheek ...
    ** Van Cleef & Arpels ** ......... A CLASSIC !!!

  27. #27

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Stamford, CT
    Posts
    1,473
    Post Thanks / Like

    Unhappy Re: Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme

    Quote Originally Posted by Serpent View Post
    I think one of the tell-tale signifiers of the new formulations of the new Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme bottles is the inclusion of "pour Homme" on the bottle. (In fact, the Van Cleef & Arpels Parfums website seems to refer it as just "pour Homme," and this actually comes before the company name. The old bottles also have a gold band under the top of the sprayer, whereas the new bottles do not; they are all black.

    One can see pictures of both bottles on PerfumeBay's page for the scent, but PerfumeDistributor.com is the site that makes a point of distinguishing the old formulation and the new.

    Hmmmm, I went to Bergdorf's the other day to get VC&A and they were out of it. Now that I have read this thread, I am wondering about the quality and provenance of the "new" stuff. Can anyone say what are the differences, tangible, noticeable differences between the "old" and the "new"? It would be important for me to know whether there is any value in waiting for the next shipment, or purchase the "old" from PerfumeDistributor.com, which by the way, has confusing pictures of the packaging of the "old" and the "new" since the words Pour Homme appear on what purports to be a box of one of the "old"...So...I am not sure where we are on this. Has the classic VC&A come the way of all flesh?

  28. #28
    gupts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    S/E suburb
    Posts
    3,922
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Frances View Post
    Can anyone say what are the differences, tangible, noticeable differences between the "old" and the "new"? It would be important for me to know whether there is any value in waiting for the next shipment, or purchase the "old" from PerfumeDistributor.com, which by the way, has confusing pictures of the packaging of the "old" and the "new" since the words Pour Homme appear on what purports to be a box of one of the "old"...So...I am not sure where we are on this. Has the classic VC&A come the way of all flesh?
    I have both the 'pour homme' version and the 'eau de toilette' version (that doesn't say pour homme.
    To my nose there is a very slight difference in the way the juice behaves. The 'older' juice is a shade darker in terms of projection and sillage. Longevity however is more or less the same in the new juice (which is excellent in both versions)

    Well honestly speaking the difference is so negligible that i can only spot it if i test them simultaneously.
    I was very excited when i landed myself the older bottle but the excitement was uncalled for.

    If you can find older juice at a fair price ( not significantly higher than the newer bottle), get that coz in any case psychologically it would be better. Besides we all think that the older juice would have better quality ingredients.

    I dont recommend spending a lot more on acquiring the older version though and i guess you would be happier with the pour homme version as well.

    Van Cleef & Arpels is surely a powerhouse and is in the same league as 'Antaeus'. I love both of them.


    gupts

  29. #29

    Default Re: Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme

    I bought this blind last year and it is indeed a great scent.Potent & long lasting with great sillage.Definetely a classic.

  30. #30

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    already there...
    Posts
    1,650
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme

    I purchased this blind several months ago and was let down in a major way. Perhaps it was a bottle that went bad, but I did not like it at all.
    You are not your perfume.

  31. #31

    Default Re: Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme

    Hi,

    I am not a scent expert but every month I buy 4 or 5 eau de toilettes which I use as deodorant which started in my 20's (now 37)with obsession for men.

    I love the old classic power fragrances, Kourous, Jazz, YSL Pour Homme a personal favourite and Obsession as it was my first.

    I have to say the VCA Pour Homme wears well on my skin and develops through the day and when wearing it I have had men in the pub ask me what it is ...followed by "...I'm not gay...I just want to buy some"

    The pretty bar girls in the local like it too, its masculine scent and novel to the majority of people today so often prompts comment.

    Main reason for replying is I have made several stunning purchases based on some indepth reviews from the community and now will have to try and source some of the comparisson scents mentioned in the thread

    I do miss my JOOP but overuse = allergy LOL

  32. #32

    Thumbs up Re: Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme

    Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    I agree Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme is a classic - have yet see a scent launched recently in the likes of this.
    I agree.

  33. #33
    jenson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Bombay
    Posts
    5,903
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme

    Quote Originally Posted by Serpent View Post
    I just received Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme in a swap - it had been lingering in my wishlist for ages - and I am thrilled. This is so fantastic. I can't remember the last time I was this happy about a fragrance acquisition. (It was probably Kenzo pour Homme last year.)

    I've often compared Yves Saint Laurent's Jazz to Hermès' Équipage as a sort of "Équipage Lite," the milder, softer, friendlier carnation scent, tempered with wood and musk, burnished and leavened and softened from the bigger, bolder Hermès. I also see a relation between that Hermès and Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme; the Van Cleef & Arpels scent strikes me as "Équipage Extrême," loaded with strong animal notes, bolder, heavier wood tones, and a slightly more powdery character. The florals are turned down, but that characteristic carnation-clove smell is still the heart of the scent.

    The opening is somewhat frightening, with a pungent, herbal, smoky-sour smell that reminds me of the smell of cigarette smoke and chewing tobacco colliding together. I can't say I'm entirely fond of the first five minutes of Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme on my skin. But then this wonderful, dry woody smell wisps up. Pine and juniper, cedar and patchouli and clove. It's all wonderfully smooth and crisp. The smell reminds me of some of the cooler, woodier Comme des Garçons Incense Series scents - Zagrosk, or Kyoto without the coffee note, perhaps. The sharpness of many of the scents of this era - Fendi Uomo, Kouros, Polo, Aramis - is lacking from the top and heart notes of Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme. (It shares this trait with the classic Hermès scents.)

    The "high quality soap" smell of Équipage is most definitely in effect with Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme, too. However, the soap is just a portion of the experience in the scent. The floral notes - jasmine and armfuls of beautiful carnation - do not bloom in full until the base, entwined with pronounced, sharp animal notes. It is a wonderful inversion here: The wood notes play in the heart, clear and dry, and the flowers roll in the sexual musks and leather notes. And there is a significant floral component to the scent, as opposed to herbal notes, which, I feel, works for Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme and keeps the scent from being harsh and loud on the drydown. Rather than an astringent quality as Kouros has, Van Cleef & Arpels has a more powdery texture. This is a soft, quiet leathery chypre (if there is such a thing). This is an old school chypre for men who hate old school chypres.

    This is a beautiful scent, a true masterpiece that seems to have slipped unfairly into the darker recesses of fragrance history. As it has begun to work into its final phases, all the notes begin to run together into a sort of piney rose smell. There's a touch of sweetness that's entrancing. While Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme is not terribly heavy (it's no Rocabar), this is definitely a scent for cooler weather. (With its marvelous, crisp evergreen notes, Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme strikes me as a perfect scent for Christmastime.) The strength is formidable; as with all such scents of this genre, a light hand should be used when applying.

    Anyone who is a fan of leathery chypres should try this scent. Anyone who has wanted to find a leathery chypre but has been unable to find one amongst the more famous names should try this, too - it's clearly the most user-friendly. And any Équipage fan - or anyone who has complained that Équipage is nice but just too weak - should test this scent out. Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme is marvelous, marvelous stuff.

    thats one of the best reviews i have read in a long time now...who is this guy and where did he disappear !?

  34. #34
    manicboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,768
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme

    Ah, the Serpent that will not die. I miss his posts. He should've reviewed more scents so that we it for future generations. Oh well.

    Anyway, I've never smelled the old VCAph but in its reformulated state, I think it holds up really well compared to Tsar which is pretty dreadful these days. There's a dirty/animalic note in there that really sets is apart from the pact. You can even detect it by just smelling the sprayer. That said, I have problems wearing this in warmer weather as it gets to overbearing. But on cold days, it fits in nicely. Why it was never popular as Polo Green, I'll never know. Maybe VCA couldn't get a good distribution channel?
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

    Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait


    My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

    http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

  35. #35

    Default Re: Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme

    VC and Arpels will be my next "purchase pack" for sure. I love that incredible aura and sophistication feeling, but a have only one doubt, if that incredible aura and sophistication feeling is maybe too much for me....I love good things, to eat well, to travel, I drive a nice car....but VC and Arpels is much more than that...is kind of a king fragance. Who knows....but depending on the mood, everyone need that style sometimes.
    "Burn their homes and churches.Then see if they will not laugh, sing and pray again.
    For when two of them meet anywhere in the world, see if they will not create a new Armenia."

    William Saroyan.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



    Using: Antaeus, The Dreamer, Eau Sauvage and Voyage d Hermes

    Wishing: Tuscan Soul by Ferragamo and Concentré d Orange Verte




    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  36. #36
    Pollux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    http://goo.gl/maps/XJ8rn
    Posts
    3,269
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme

    When I got it it baffled me... it smelled like a women's scent. And I hated it... nowadays, it is in my renewal list. Tastes change.

  37. #37
    DustB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    9,210
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme

    Some days its fantastic on me, some days not so good. A weird one in that way.

    Once I thought it was a very nice masculine scent derived from L'Heure Bleue, it seemed. It's got a great wet leaves and dried rose pedal quality. Sort of gloomy, but hope and value in the reflective qualities of being gloomy.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

  38. #38

    Amit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Mumbai
    Posts
    5,093
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme

    One of my most respected members. Too bad he isn't here anymore.


    PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather




  39. #39

    Default Re: Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme


    Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme has gone at least two reformulations since it was released. The original vintage formulation was of exceptional quality even for a fragrance of its era.

    scentemental

    Last edited by scentemental; 29th May 2009 at 11:27 PM.

  40. #40

    Default Re: Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme

    Quote Originally Posted by Pollux View Post
    When I got it it baffled me... it smelled like a women's scent. And I hated it...
    Reminded me of "perfume", hence the women's scent impression when I encountered it some ten years ago...but loved it, and ended up hating many of the "men's cologne" products I'd been using. Not being overly rosey or feminine, I have long understood it to be suitably masculine.

    Like DB says, sometimes it wears me amazing, other times I wonder why it seems sour. I will always have it.

    OK now serpent, how about that Neroli Sauvage...?

  41. #41

    Default Re: Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme

    @Serpent
    You got yourself a truly sweet deal. I'm wearing that juice right now, and it's doing me very well.

  42. #42

    Ron199's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Parts Unknown!
    Posts
    2,818
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme

    Old or new, it does not matter either formulation is a winner. Green, florals, woods,leather what more could one ask for. When a fragrance is around for this length of time, and people are still talking about it, and wearing it should say all that needs to be said.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

  43. #43
    vita odorifera
    perfaddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Lagos
    Posts
    7,037
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron199 View Post
    Old or new, it does not matter either formulation is a winner. Green, florals, woods,leather what more could one ask for. When a fragrance is around for this length of time, and people are still talking about it, and wearing it should say all that needs to be said.
    Word!
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

  44. #44

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Da Bronx!!
    Posts
    1,015
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme

    One of the great Men's fragrance. A Classic

  45. #45
    StylinLA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    4,321
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme

    Interesting that Anteus and VC&A are getting some play the past couple of days.

    Yeah, this one's a killer. I probably like it a bit more than Anteus. Works better on me than Anteus. Better longevity and "look out everybody" sillage.

  46. #46

    Default Re: Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme

    A wonderful fragrance to be sure.

  47. #47
    shamu1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    North Shore, Mass.
    Posts
    2,347
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme

    Van Cleef & Arpels is the hallmark Alpha Male scent. It exudes power like almost no other scent does.

  48. #48
    Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Diamondflame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,035
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme

    Yet another v old thread, but that's one hell of a review by Serpent.
    And I agree with Shamu1, it does smell somewhat 'aggressive'..

  49. #49
    Sur la Plage

    petruccijc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Clearwater Beach, Florida
    Posts
    17,010
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme

    Quote Originally Posted by seasoldiermarine View Post
    One of the great Men's fragrance. A Classic
    I whole-heartedly agree.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

  50. #50

    Default Re: Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme

    I just shuddered when I saw the name Serpent here again - "Les Enfants Terrible" LOL!!!!!

  51. #51
    manicboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,768
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme

    Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    I have both the 'pour homme' version and the 'eau de toilette' version (that doesn't say pour homme.
    To my nose there is a very slight difference in the way the juice behaves. The 'older' juice is a shade darker in terms of projection and sillage. Longevity however is more or less the same in the new juice (which is excellent in both versions)

    Well honestly speaking the difference is so negligible that i can only spot it if i test them simultaneously.
    I was very excited when i landed myself the older bottle but the excitement was uncalled for.

    If you can find older juice at a fair price ( not significantly higher than the newer bottle), get that coz in any case psychologically it would be better. Besides we all think that the older juice would have better quality ingredients.

    I dont recommend spending a lot more on acquiring the older version though and i guess you would be happier with the pour homme version as well.

    Van Cleef & Arpels is surely a powerhouse and is in the same league as 'Antaeus'. I love both of them.


    gupts
    Having recently acquired the vintage juice and comparing with the current one, I'd say your comments are spot on. The reformulation keeps 95% of the vintage intact, and VCA should be applauded for their attention to detail. Unfortunately, I can't say the same for the reformulated Oscar's Pour Lui which I consider a close cousin to VCA PH when the vintages are compared. Believe it, I often see both vintage Pour Lui and VCA PH going for good prices on the Sales board and from various web retailers.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

    Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait


    My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

    http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

  52. #52
    shamu1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    North Shore, Mass.
    Posts
    2,347
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme

    I just recently sampled the current formulation of VCA, and the only difference I can tell is that the top notes are a bit subdued compared to the old version. The top notes in the old version were harsh green, and they practically jumped out of the bottle at you from the get-go. The new one doesn't do that, and the top notes are softer. However, after about 20 minutes, all of the old magic comes right back. Great job reformulating this scent.

  53. #53

    Default Re: Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme

    Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post
    Having recently acquired the vintage juice and comparing with the current one, I'd say your comments are spot on. The reformulation keeps 95% of the vintage intact, and VCA should be applauded for their attention to detail. Unfortunately, I can't say the same for the reformulated Oscar's Pour Lui which I consider a close cousin to VCA PH when the vintages are compared. Believe it, I often see both vintage Pour Lui and VCA PH going for good prices on the Sales board and from various web retailers.
    This only happened once Inter Perfumes took over the brand from YSL Beautie. YSL really cheaped up the fragrances both Tsar and Pour Homme - thank God they are back to the original versions.

  54. #54
    bokaba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Redlands, CA
    Posts
    3,076
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme

    VCA pour homme is a great gala scent. Dry, austere, but rich and alluring at the same time. For a gala scent, I prefer the much creamier Mouchoir de Monsieur.

  55. #55
    Balavassassin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    954
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme

    Well just recently I tried Van Cleef's Tsar, it's nice though can be kinda dormant in activity, I am now experiencing the dry down which reminds me entirely of my grandfather whom Is my best friend! So that's the reason Why I love it!

    Though I really wanna try Van Cleef's PH!

    Cheers and take care!

    - Balava
    - I Want To Appreciate You With My Eyes Closed-

    - Anonymous

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

    Chanel Antaeus Equipped With A Double Whipping Of A Black Leather Jacket

  56. #56
    SillageMonger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    1,126
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme

    This is indeed one of my favorite powerhouse fragrances. Van Cleef & Arpels PH is fantastic!

  57. #57

    Amit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Mumbai
    Posts
    5,093
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme

    Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    I just shuddered when I saw the name Serpent here again - "Les Enfants Terrible" LOL!!!!!
    More like Divin' Enfant


    PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather




  58. #58

    Default Re: Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme

    I do believe this VC&A PH is my new signature frag. The stuff reminds me of a 1972 Cadillac Fleetwood - a big, old, leather appointed powerhouse.

  59. #59
    Heerst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    164
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme

    It's interesting to note that VC&A Pour Homme was Serge Gainsbourg's signature scent.

    That said, I should really get myself a sample.
    Last edited by Heerst; 21st February 2010 at 12:20 AM.

  60. #60
    StylinLA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    4,321
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme

    It's a sillage monster that's for sure. They know when you're coming and they know when you've been there.

Similar Threads

  1. Which designer fragrances are comparable to niche?
    By Kevin Guyer in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 96
    Last Post: 15th August 2012, 07:26 PM
  2. The new Pour Homme Van Cleef & Arpels and Tsar or is it?
    By scentimus in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 29th August 2008, 02:40 PM
  3. Van Cleef & Arpels - Pour Homme
    By graffham in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 22nd November 2005, 09:29 PM
  4. your collection
    By machineo in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 91
    Last Post: 21st June 2005, 07:57 PM
  5. First (Van Cleef & Arpels)
    By Marcello in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 21st March 2005, 09:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •