Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme

I enjoy this fragrance, because it has all the qualities I look for in a frag: persistence, class, conservative style, extreme manhood yet in subtle way, is very suitable for formal wear and, although a designer frag, it's clearly not made "to please the masses".

I have a mini bottle (7ml) of VC&A pour homme from 1 year ago and I just bought a 50ml bottle because of that sample. They are completly different to me from the first spray, the notes seems different, the sillage is different. For almost 3 hours I keep smelling my hands I don't find any similarities between them. I don't know how to describe a scent but I can only say that I love the scent from the mini bottle which is great (the notes are beautiful, the sillage is very strong, the longevity is very good) and that the smell from the 50ml bottle is nothing like that, its more like Trussardi Uomo which I own and I like but its not VC&A pour homme. I'm not sure if the mini bottle its the vintage scent and if the 50ml its a reformulation but if that is case I can only agree with JaimeB when he said that "they butchered the Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme in the latest reformulation", I'm sad ...
    Last edited by alex_d; 26th March 2010 at 08:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alex_d View Post
    I have a mini bottle (7ml) of VC&A pour homme from 1 year ago and I just bought a 50ml bottle because of that sample. They are completly different to me from the first spray, the notes seems different, the sillage is different. For almost 3 hours I keep smelling my hands I don't find any similarities between them. I don't know how to describe a scent but I can only say that I love the scent from the mini bottle which is great (the notes are beautiful, the sillage is very strong, the longevity is very good) and that the smell from the 50ml bottle is nothing like that, its more like Trussardi Uomo which I own and I like but its not VC&A pour homme. I'm not sure if the mini bottle its the vintage scent and if the 50ml its a reformulation but if that is case I can only agree with JaimeB when he said that "they butchered the Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme in the latest reformulation", I'm sad ...

Two completely different fragrances?? I have to think that one of your bottles has gone bad. I own the old version and I have sampled the new formulation. With the exception of the first few minutes in the top notes, I smell no difference between the two. VCA did a very good job of reformulating this scent IMO. It's still the beast god that it always was.

I have just 'won' a small (7ml) bottle of VC&A Pour Homme on Ebay and am dying to know what I'm missing! I'll put my findings on the forum when it arrives! I've got great expectations of this one due to descriptions found on Basenotes such as the one at the start of this thread. Fingers crossed!
    Last edited by Derbyman; 26th March 2010 at 08:36 PM.

shamu1 I'm not crazy .... at least I think so ... :P
    I'll ask some friends to let me test it on them and tell me their opinions and if not I'll send you the bottles to convince yourself too ... :P ... but I'm afraid you'll conclude that I'm crazy ... :P

This is the shocking legendary powerhouse from VCA and unforgive for who not respect the blasting monster for all era...VC&A PH is roots bloody roots will biting u until the end of life. I own the reformulation version and get powerfull in sillage & longevity....10/10

Respect it
    Last edited by ruffin; 26th March 2010 at 08:53 PM.

I'll ask some friends to let me test it on them and tell me their opinions and if not I'll send you the bottles to convince yourself too ... :P ... but I'm afraid you'll conclude that I'm crazy ... :P
    I

I don't think you're crazy, and it often does all come down to personal perception.

I already have a bottle of the original formulation, so you don't need to send your bottle to me. I guess what I'm saying is that once my bottle of the old juice runs out, I won't be crying about it. I'll happily buy a bottle of the current stuff.

Well, I've just received my 7ml sample sized VC&A PH and it's FABULOUS!!

I've definitely smelled this before somewhere in the past and I'm glad I've found it now! This may well lead to a full bottle purchase!

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

You are not crazy. You probably have the initial reformulation when VC&A came under YSL Beaute ownership. The issue is well discussed here I had one of these, and was actually put off VC&A for years, until recently.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Does VC&A smell as good as kouros(one of the scents I'l purchase again and again)? How does it compare to quorum(which I don't like)? Do they smell remotely alike? Will I like VC&A if I don't like quorum?

If I remember correctly VC+A is nothing like Kouros nor Quorum. Its been months since I have sniffed this one. Coincidentally I have a bottle that should arrive today.

Van Cleef is nothing at all like Kouros -- totally different smells, though I like them both. Interestingly, I've been gravitating towards VCA lately, and have received lots of compliments from younger women who think it's very unique. I think they're so used to aquatics and gourmands they rarely smell something like VCA.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Ok,does it smell like giorgio for men? (Yuck!! I hate this one too)

I`m a big fan of Cartier Santos Concentree and Tom Ford Extreeme. Do you think Van cleef & Arpels pour homme is a "safe" blind buy for me?

I`ve just "blind" ordered a bottle of this, and Oscar Pour Lui. Am I excited? YES!

I think V.&.A pour homme smells very different on paper and skin. I didn`t like it when I tested it on paper after I received my bottle. I have now sprayed one light spray on my arm, and it`s much better. I think the trick here is to go very easy on the trigger.

I absolutely in love with Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme. My ex boyfriend used to wear it everyday. It doesn't smell good on me, but I still keep a mini bottle to smell every once in a while (kind of pathetic, huh?)

I wear Tsar a lot. It smells good on me for whatever reason. I love Midnight In Paris too although I've only worn it a few times. I'm not crazy about the name, but I love everything VC&A has ever done.

Vc&A is a bad azz scent. Gene Simmons in black suit playing a villain. Great sillage. Lingers wherever you go.

Every time I wear Van Cleef pour homme it reminds me of Esencia de Loewe, another outstanding fragrance. Only this one is darker...
    The Dreamer from Versace: what does this scent have that is so alluring and enticing towards the opposite sex ?

Very dark and very classic. This rose cyphre is very similar in drydown to vintage Cabochard or Paco Rabanne La Nuit. The opening, however, is strange and VERY strong. quite interesting.

Today was the first time I was able to sample VCAH. They have it at Bergdoff Goodman on 5th Ave for $75. Unfortunately I cannot name all the ingredients that I smell....too many to sift through but they all come together nicely in a dark/incense/indian/spicy kind of way. In the distance I can almost relate this to Caron's 3rd man but VCAP is more masculine. It has several ingredients that remind me of modern day niche fragrances from the UK. When I first put it on I knew right away that I had smelled an interpretation of this before. Yet none were as dense as the original.

If you like Quorom Opium or british niche fragrances then this one is for you. Huge powerhouse that lasts forever. Even after you wash with soap and water.

Good for someone working at Goldman Sachs or managing a hedge fund that attracts swiss clients.
    Last edited by thatmakesscents; 22nd March 2012 at 04:16 AM.