Code of Conduct

Default Just when you think you find one, you dont like it

Tried the L'Air du Desert Morocain tonight. I get vanilla, no smoke, no wood, no spice. So it may last, but it lacks that certain umph. It seems like it was a smoother Le Male on my skin. Maybe amber is not for me.

Ok, I have MPG Eau Des Iles which is a smokey coffee on me, long lasting

Floris Santal Coming

Which of these and why> Parfums de Nicolai New York, Miller Harris Feuilles De Tabac, Fumerie Turque and D'Orsay Le Dandy
    Last edited by finsfan; 29th August 2006 at 01:47 AM.

Default Re: Just when you think you find one, you dont like it

I am going to compare Ambre Sultan heads up against L'Air tonight by applying them to the back of each hand and getting wind of how they calm down and if they are there in the morning when I wake up.

Took out Ambre Sultan - too sharp. L'Air is like vanilla on me. And it is fading compared to Ambre.

Chergui on me had this one note that was like a bourbon. FT had the smokey rose, and even though Chergui had a lot more going on, and was a tad creamier, I think there was that note that just lost it for me.

So someone tell me about the Malles and if they are worth the bucks. I might just think that the Miller Harris from Vijay is a steal.

Did you ever try Micheal by Michael Kors? It's in the style of the scents you've been trying, but inexpensive and easy to find. A very nice smoky tobacco, patchouli leather scent.

I remember trying it when it came out in memphis and not liking it. I wonder how to visualize New York or Le Dandy. I am thinking with Fumerie being about $120 for 1.6 oz, a cheaper fragrance would not be bad.

Another thing to consider is buying decants of these scents, either from the sale board or from ebay. At least 75% of the scents I own are in decants. Only a few of those graduate to full bottles when the decant is gone. It's a great way to figure out how much you like something over a period of time.

Quote Originally Posted by finsfan
    I remember trying it when it came out in memphis and not liking it. I wonder how to visualize New York or Le Dandy. I am thinking with Fumerie being about $120 for 1.6 oz, a cheaper fragrance would not be bad.
    $120? It should be $92 at Aedes when they get it in.
    Current faves: CdG White, Amouage Dia, Millesime Imperial, Miller Harris Terre de Bois

Post Re: Just when you think you find one, you dont like it

New York is a complete fragrance; probably my number one formal fragrance. It has a huge presence, yet it's not overbearing. Never loses it's spicy character, and the citrus nicely balances out the fragrance. Somewhat similar to Bois du Portugal, although I prefer New York. It's actually quite perfect. Also, the price is excellent.

So someone tell me about the Malles and if they are worth the bucks. I might just think that the Miller Harris from Vijay is a steal.
    Miller Harris Feuilles de Tabac... I bought this last year after falling in love with the sample I got. Here's the problem I had with it ... (and this is "me", not saying it's going to be you). I waited until I was completely finished with my sample vial (about 4 wearings) to make absolutely sure I was going to like it after spending that much money. So I ordered the full sized bottle from Aedes and was so excited about the first wearing. I felt it was just what I was looking for. Not your typical tobacco, but tobacco leaf and an overall scent very well structured and very masculine. Unfortunately, as with many scents I've purchased, the scent mixed with my body chemisty just completely destroyed the pleasant "tobacco leaf" note into a "rotting tobacco leaf" and other yard waste scent. By the time my skin was done with it, it was a horribly twisted shell of the original scent. NOTHING like the "back of the wrist" drydown from my sample vial. I had a very similar experience with Chergui after buying the full sized bottle. Both went straight to ebay.

Unfortunately, the sample vials and "back of the hand" tests only go so far in letting you know if the scent will work with your body chemistry. A full day's wearing is the only true way of knowing. That's why I've become partial to the decant purchasing as opposed to the small vials. The decants usually have enough juice for a few full day's wearings to see how it work individually with you. Especially if you're considering expensive ones like Noir Epices. I have a decant of NE and I don't really care for it. It smells a bit too "perfumey" to me ... but may work for you.

Ziffy: What scent like Miller Harris did you find then?

I use the back of the hand test to eliminate those that I just think I detest the scent. And to compare strength and longevity. If it passes that, then a full wearing. Like today, I am using a full wearing of Musc Rave, but I am finding it too sweet. Ambre Sultan takes about 3 hours for that cummin to wear out, and I can not wait that long. L'Air, well, it did nothing on my skin.

Miller Harris, it was a nice tobacco and was kinda soapy. However, my wife likes it the best and it was a good to great scent.

I got samples I can trade for the Noir.

I am thinking New York might be a great year round scent and go into fall into early winter. I dont want it to overlap the Floris Santal I ordered.

Ziffy: What scent like Miller Harris did you find then?
    Miller Harris, it was a nice tobacco and was kinda soapy. However, my wife likes it the best and it was a good to great scent.
    Actually, I've never found a Miller Harris that worked for me. I'm glad that one worked for you as it's gotten many positive reviews here. That's why I sampled/bought it in the first place. Too bad my body chemistry is just so tempermental.

I'm actually very curious to see how both Lonestar Memories and L'Air du desert marocain work on MY skin. All leather scent I've tried recently fall far behind DK Men and Cuiron ... in my opinion. Other than leather though, Ambre Sultan and Fumerie Turque just happen to work very nicely with me.