Code of Conduct

Default How to try Habit Rouge Edt, Edc and Edp?

How can I try Habit Rouge Edt, Edc and Edp without breaking the bank?

Default Re: How to try Habit Rouge Edt, Edc and Edp?

You might try Basenotes member Scentemental. I don't know if he's doing decants currently or not. Send him a message and find out.

The EDP is harder to acquire, and one i've been dying to try!
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Serpent

Well, if you ask me, you really could skip the eau de parfum altogether.* It's a real Frankenstein's Monster of a fragrance, with Guerlain's grafting the M7 agarwood note onto the Habit Rouge where it just really truly does not belong. That big, clunky, powdery wood note is just wrong in the smooth, leathery-oriental composition. That's sandalwood territory, and the agarwood never gets integrated at all. And, for an eau de parfum, I find it's actually tremendously short-lived in comparison to the eau de toilette (which has never exactly been a champion on the longevity roster as it is). I've not smelled the eau de cologne, but I think the general vibe here is it's lighter, more citrusy? Correct me if I'm wrong, anyone.

Perhaps Neiman Marcus sells the eau de toilette of Habit Rouge. They have a pretty broad Guerlain selection. It's getting rare in America, though, and the eau de parfum was never released here. (Not America's loss, in my opinion.) With something so hard to come across, unless someone offers samples, I'd recommend focusing your energies on the eau de toilette. That's the one to get.

If you find the somewhat easier-to-find Eau d'Hermès, it's a very similar scent to Habit Rouge with the exception of the big cumin note on top. If you can smell around the cumin, you've pretty much got Habit Rouge. (Except Eau d'Hermès is just way smoother and better.)

* Yes, I realize the irony of my saying everyone should smell something for themselves. But come on. This stuff is just friggin' ridiculously hard to find in America.
    Last edited by Serpent; 30th August 2006 at 03:06 AM.

I can't take the EDT. It's one of my very first frags as a teenager and I smelled it recently at an airport and realized how completely over the top it is. It's an important men's fragrance and undoubtedly a classic, but its power and potency just about knocked me down.

The EDP, on the other hand, is a BRILLIANT scent. I bought my bottle from Escentual.co.uk and think I dropped a hundred bucks on a 3.4 oz bottle (covered in red leather--beautiful bottle) and it's one of my most treasured scents. It's way toned down from the EDT and is actually one of the rare men's fragrance that varies considerably from the EDT. On me it has excellent longetivity and is well worth the money.

The eau de toilette is easy for me to get at the local Perfume Gallery.
    408-423-8900. I don't think they send out samples, though.
    I don't see the eau de cologne very much any more.
    I never see the eau de parfum.

Send a PM to scentemental. He could probably help you out.

I'll definitely email Scentimental on this one. See, I'm trying to find the richest, most full-bodied version of Habit Rouge. Serpent, would you say that the Edt is that version?

Quote Originally Posted by Middle Aged Yuppie
    I can't take the EDT. It's one of my very first frags as a teenager and I smelled it recently at an airport and realized how completely over the top it is. It's an important men's fragrance and undoubtedly a classic, but its power and potency just about knocked me down.
    I've used 50 ml of Habit Rouge EDT in the last couple of months. I often spray it all over my sheets, pillowcases and myself. I wore it at 15 years old along with Guerlain Vetiver, Drakkar Noir, Azzaro Pour Homme, Paco Rabanne, Eau Sauvage and Polo. I've never perceived Habit Rouge EDT as being over the top. The original verison was pretty powerful I suppose. I find very few of the quality fragrances to be "over the top" regardless of their various characteristics. I will admit that at 15 I wore Habit Rouge less than the other fragrances I mentioned. Also, the reformulated Habit Rouge is not the same creature as the original. It smells the same but it's not as powerful, rich and balsamic.

Either way, it's one of the best mens fragrances ever created IMSO.
    Last edited by pluran; 30th August 2006 at 05:26 AM.

Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by yepyep
    I'm trying to find the richest, most full-bodied version of Habit Rouge. Serpent, would you say that the Edt is that version?
    I would. The eau de parfum is not actually a stronger, richer scent rather than a reformulated, woodier fragrance. The leather is muted and the sandalwood is almost gone, and these are the hallmarks of classic Habit Rouge; agarwood is a lovely note, but I find it light, wispy, ethereal - not rich or full-bodied.

The eau de parfum lies in a strange place between the original Habit Rouge, the woodier Héritage, and the agarwood-infused M7.

I never thought Habit Rouge worked for me personally, and it was always relegated to my desk drawer at work for days when I dashed out of house without putting on scent. I much, much prefer Eau d'Hermès. If possible, try to test that one as well. I really feel that scent, while similar with the citrus, leather, wood, and vanilla notes, just clobbers Habit Rouge up and down. Not only does it have the added cumin, sage, lavender, and cardamom notes, everything is much more integrated and smoother in the Hermès. It's got that elegant Roudnitska touch.

My bottle did go to a female coworker - tough rock chick-type who loved the scent's alleged inspiration, Shalimar, and one of Habit Rouge's devotees, Keith Richards - and she went nuts for it. It smelled awesome on her. The eau de toilette will move in and out through the day. It's got a very good weight for daytime wear, refreshing itself with body heat, whereas I went through a entire big five milliliter sample in one night of constant refreshing of the eau de parfum.
    Last edited by Serpent; 30th August 2006 at 05:33 AM.

IMO just sample them all - including the Legere. I liked the EDC and Legere. Didn't care for the EDT which seemed too much. I haven't tried the EDP, but of the other three, the original vision of the EDC is the truest.

There's fantastic comparison of these three (and Légère) by MisterK, evogel, and Scentemental on this thread from a year ago:

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=175073

Scentemental also brings in a great comparison with Rochas Lui which struck me as an Habit Rouge sibling when I first smelled it.

I'm going to wear the edt tomorrow because of Yepyep's post. Too long I've not played with the Habits Rouges.

Pluran and I are close fragrance twins I see. I found HR edc when I was about 15 and loved it just as he did and does. That version is the one that sold me on the concept and franchise--subtle and with incredible depth and new things to find in it with different parts of each sniff. Now, fortunately, I see the edc for sale more often in B&M stores I visit. A few years ago I used to get the dumb "it's discontinued" blather from sales associates.

I've become a deep fan of the edp, which I hated at first. A very kind Basenoter sent me a sample when he learned my love of the edc had me craving the edp, and I'm still grateful. (He knows who he is.) On first wearings I detested the edp as a mockery. I thought the agarwood blend smelled haphazard, isolated, trendy (after M7), and edgy with ugly dirt. I thought the scent was nothing but raw rocky cliffs of smell scraping against each other. No fun.

I changed my opinion though, and I had a traveling friend get me an edp bottle. What changed me was coming across my dirty laundry. The shirt I'd worn it in once was a shocking delight to smell dirty, and I couldn't place which scent it was I'd worn under the shirt. This time the agarwood was smooth with powder and hints of neroli--not exactly anything that took me back to the edc familiarity I had, but something powerful, very blended, and better than pleasing. Since then I've had days I've forgotten what scent I put on early in the day, loved my smell, and remembered that it's HR edp. On me it has superior duration--24 hours on the skin and a week in the laundry. For me now, sacrilege that it is, HR edp is the signature HR.

I'm stocked with backup bottles of the edt because it went on sale as Sephora closed it out a couple years ago. I wear it and I took a bottle to leave at a girlfriend's apartment, but it now seems the brash brother of the brood. This girlfriend took to wearing it too, and dammit, the signature HR qualities came out better on her than on me. We broke up and she broke the bottle.

The edt is strong for sure, and will leave wearers with its vanilla and some lavender for the day. Other HR notes too for sure, but still I gravitate toward the edp and to Rochas Lui more than I'm pulled to the edt.

For one stop shopping of all three Scentemental is your guy for certain. If you get and test them all I'm sure there are plenty of us who will want to know how they strike you, Yepyep.
    --Chris
    Last edited by DustB; 30th August 2006 at 07:27 AM.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Wink Re: How to try Habit Rouge Edt, Edc and Edp?

Hi, I was also pondering on the differences between the various versions of this classic Guerlain scent just because I female coworker of mine came in yesterday preceeded by a monumental cloud of oud. I couldn't resist and asked her what she was wearing and the answer was Habit Rouge EdT. To me, on her, it smelt all of agarwood and a brandylike note, with only some whiffs on the still now perfectly balanced EdC (without oud)

I am scared by the idea of a EdP version of Habit Rouge (which is not marketed in Italy, like Opium pour homme, which exists here only in the Edt version).

For an Oud based scent I'd go with M7, even if it is more medicinal. Habit Rouge EdT is a little too much for my nose.

Could be that Oud is currently very trendy and useful to relaunch an old classic and perfect fragrance?

Hugs. W.

If everything is still too strong, then get the newer HR eau légère.
    It's as light as you can go with HR. I posted the notes on the missing frags forum a while back (along with some other guerlain frags that are missing, but on diff threds) they are on the vetiver sport thread.

Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by Waldemar
    I am scared by the idea of a EdP version of Habit Rouge
    In terms of strength, it's not at all strong, I found. It's more along the lines of Héritage eau de toilette in longevity, sillage, and overall character. It's actually very much like they took Héritage eau de toilette, pulled out the sandalwood, added more vanilla, dropped in a little leather, and then added agarwood. But it acts like Héritage eau de toilette (which is why I mentioned it earlier), which is very soft, mild, and has very poor longevity on me.

DustB wrote:

"I'm going to wear the edt tomorrow because of Yepyep's post. Too long I've not played with the Habits Rouges."

I feel honored!

Carlos wrote:

"IMO just sample them all - including the Legere. I liked the EDC and Legere. Didn't care for the EDT which seemed too much. I haven't tried the EDP, but of the other three, the original vision of the EDC is the truest."

Yeah, I probably will sample all of them, I think I know which one I'll like the best, but I'll probably try each one. I'll also check out Rochas Lui at some point. I appreciate everybody's thoughtful replies!