Code of Conduct

Default Examine my scents and tell me if there is commonality

I would like for you men who can to view what I have now, and what I have had in the last three or four years, and tell me if there are common threads to the scents. This will allow me to better focus what I might like to sample from like luckyscent or aedes or even blind buy perhaps.

Have now:

Creed MI
    Creed GIT
    MPG Eau des Iles
    Parfums de Nicolai New York on order
    Miller Harris Feiulles de Tabac on order
    Floris Santal being shipped

Have worn:

Villoresi Piper Nigrum
    Villoresi Yerbamate (powdery but not bad)

Liked:

Montale Fougeres Marine
    Malle's Musc Ravageur (if it were half the price, Id have had it but it was a lighter cologne than I usually would buy, and a tad creamy)

Thinking of getting:
    Serge Lutens Fumerie Turque

There were others that were interesting (Tauer's L'Air du Desert Morocain, L'Artisan Mure Et Musc and Eau de Navagatuer, and Villoresi Musk).

I have worn Lots of Lauren scents (Safari, Romance, Polo Sport) and Calvin Klein (Obsession and Eternity) as well as Escade and Lagerfeld and Perry Ellis original, and even Bijan.

So, anything that jumps out as to what catagory or things I tend to gravitate to?

Default Re: Examine my scents and tell me if there is commonality

Sorry to be unhelpful, but the scents you mentioned are all pretty different. If I had to stretch and make some sort of attempt at a generalization I would say that you like scents with some sweetness but not too sweet or gourmand and that you like there to be subtle, underlying spices.

p.s.- you've got to be kidding... Musc Ravageur a "light cologne?!?!?"

Quote Originally Posted by The_Giraffe
    Sorry to be unhelpful, but the scents you mentioned are all pretty different. If I had to stretch and make some sort of attempt at a generalization I would say that you like scents with some sweetness but not too sweet or gourmand and that you like there to be subtle, underlying spices.

p.s.- you've got to be kidding... Musc Ravageur a "light cologne?!?!?"
    I had the same conclusion a while back (before I sent Sam some samples) , I was really surprised that he did not like the Wood and Spices from Montale I sent him.

Sam if you would, try the Wood and Spices again if you still have it.
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

Giraffe: I concur totally, but I was wondering if there is some sort of note or combination of notes that I must be subconsciously gravitating toward. I like the fact that I may be a bit more eclectic than I thought.

Vijay, I passed the sample on, but I sent you an email to get some Tabac, full bottle, so maybe then?

Yup Finsfan, unless I'm missing something, you may in fact have quite eclectic taste in scent.
    A word on Woods and Spices- This one for whatever reason didn't work at all for me. Definately one of the worst Montale scents to me. Maybe it was my skin, but there were no woods, and no spices. It just got really sweet and syrupy. Patchouli Leaves is a MUCH better choice.

Finsfan- Just looking through my collection (including decants) for things that fall at all within my generalization, here are the scents that came up:
    Kouros, Tauer L'Air, Antaeus, Egoiste, Floris Santal, Heritage EDP, Laguna, Laguna, Yang, and Chergui. Some of those overlap with what you said you already like and some have been covered in some of our discussions, but I thought I'd throw them all out there anyways.

Giraffe: I think you are right about the Woods and Spices. Vijay sent me like 10 samples, including the Miller Harris Tabac, and the two my wife liked best on me were the Tabac and the Fougeres Marine, and Fougeres smelt like something that I already had smelt with Creed or something like that.

Funny you mention the link between Fougeres Marine and Creed. I can't really explain what it is, but the same thing that annoyed me in Himalaya annoyed me in Fougeres Marine. MI might have a little of it too.