Code of Conduct

Default Avon Scents - anybody tried them?

I notice in the catalog the Avon lady left in my mail box that they have several scents going fairly cheap.
    Passion Dance - blend of spices and fresh oriental notes A$19.99
    Open Road - blend of ginger, sandalwood and musk A$19.99
    Peak Zone - juniper, crisp green notes, patchouli A$24.99
    Tomorrow -Oriental cocoa, amber, patchouli A$39.99 (multiply by three quarters to get US dollar equivalent).

The blurb for the last one states
    "Winner Men's Fragrance of the Year
    US Fragrance Foundation Awards - the Oscar of fragrance awards"

Anybody tested them?
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 30th August 2006 at 05:03 AM.

Default Re: Avon Scents - anybody tried them?

Ick no, so beneath me!

Do they still put them into interesting bottles shaped like cars or sporting goods? I like that touch very much. A few years ago I found an Avon leather scent in a brown glass bottle shaped like a riding boot. The top of the boot was the silver-toned bottle cap. Nice low heeled riding boot too, very stylish. Smelled like a fantastic leather too. I liked it and would have bought it but the thrift store worker wouldn't bargain on the price, something like $4, and out of principle I made a show of declaring that was too much to pay for a smelly juice! Heavens, four dollars for mere vanity? Does the thrift store think I can't pick up ladies on my own without a smelly? Phooey. Ain't no real man who'd pay four bucks when he can just rub himself down with one of those smelly pages in the magazines at the public library.

Damn I was a fool though. Wish I had that old glass boot.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Thrax

I've tried Tomorrow, and own one called Mesmerize. Mesmerize is an excellent choice if you ask me. Imagine taking Joop! and taking out all the cough medicine notes and throwing in a shit load of vanilla to mellow it out. REALLY GOOD STUFF. As for tomorrow.....you can do without, trust me. This is the only bottle I have thrown in the trash.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB
    Ick no, so beneath me!

Do they still put them into interesting bottles shaped like cars or sporting goods? I like that touch very much. A few years ago I found an Avon leather scent in a brown glass bottle shaped like a riding boot. The top of the boot was the silver-toned bottle cap. Nice low heeled riding boot too, very stylish. Smelled like a fantastic leather too. I liked it and would have bought it but the thrift store worker wouldn't bargain on the price, something like $4, and out of principle I made a show of declaring that was too much to pay for a smelly juice! Heavens, four dollars for mere vanity? Does the thrift store think I can't pick up ladies on my own without a smelly? Phooey. Ain't no real man who'd pay four bucks when he can just rub himself down with one of those smelly pages in the magazines at the public library.

Damn I was a fool though. Wish I had that old glass boot.
    --Chris
    No, they just have stylish looking bottles now.
    Four bucks for the boot, and you passed?
    That's what I call self restraint.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Thrax
    I've tried Tomorrow, and own one called Mesmerize. Mesmerize is an excellent choice if you ask me. Imagine taking Joop! and taking out all the cough medicine notes and throwing in a shit load of vanilla to mellow it out. REALLY GOOD STUFF. As for tomorrow.....you can do without, trust me. This is the only bottle I have thrown in the trash.
    This is intruiging. Was it a real nothing scent to you, or something else?
    Renato

Thrax

I get the Cocoa out of it and perhaps a bit of patchoulli. From these notes you would expect something amazing. Perhaps a bit of a heavy oriental. Think again. It is a bit watered down, actually more than a bit. Very bad lasting power. If your gonna get it, get it off Ebay. You can score Avon stuff off there for CHEAP! I know I said it before but Mesmerize is simply....mesmerizing.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrax
    I get the Cocoa out of it and perhaps a bit of patchoulli. From these notes you would expect something amazing. Perhaps a bit of a heavy oriental. Think again. It is a bit watered down, actually more than a bit. Very bad lasting power. If your gonna get it, get it off Ebay. You can score Avon stuff off there for CHEAP! I know I said it before but Mesmerize is simply....mesmerizing.
    Thanks, that's what I wanted to know. Weak scents and I do not agree.
    Renato

I kind of have a soft spot in my heart for Avon as it reminds me of my mom back in the day -- I remember she purchased Wild Country for my dad and it was probably the very first cologne I tried... and still to this day, I kind of like it... perhaps for the emotional connection when life seemed so simple. Nothing beneath me...

"Full speed" is the best iv'e tryed by avon

I got an Avon cologne for Christmas several years ago but I forget the name...Musk something or other. Anyway, I didn't much care for it and wound up putting it in Goodwill. Later I tried Percieve, and although it was better than the first one, it didn't impress me much either. Still, I wore it to work until it was all gone.

I have HisStory. Its actually a pretty nice scent. Nothing special but it's better than AdG and Curve and all them.

i own a buch, from the men's side, the one i like the best is ProXtreme, it's very common/simple and has a so-so longevity, but it's very masculine and very fresh, i feel very comfortable wearing it.

This is curious. Many of the old Avon scents have their admirers, albeit so-so admirers, but there are none for the current crop.
    Renato

Perceive is my favorite of the lot, largely because the name and the bottle are so interesting. The scent is mostly grapefruit and cedar, two of my favorite notes. The effect is heavier than the average fresh scent, but lighter and more modern than most woods.

Tomorrow may not be very heavy for an oriental scent, but that is why I like it so much. Cocoa is the most prominent note, and the overall effect is sweet but not clearly gourmand. I find it to be unusually long-lasting, because I can often smell it faintly on my clothes even after washing them.

His Story is a good choice for a safe scent. It is light, but in a way that is different from other fresh scents. It has a persistent, leafy-greenness that appeals to me.

I believe that Full Speed is sold in the United States as RPM. RPM has a gin-and-tonic quality that I thought I would like more than I did. Despite my ambivalence, I found that I frequently reached for it when I could not decide on anything else.

Peak Zone is a generically "clean" scent.

Mesmerize is a strong, but well-made, and oddly comforting, composition of powdery vanilla.

Quote Originally Posted by Advocate
    Perceive is my favorite of the lot, largely because the name and the bottle are so interesting. The scent is mostly grapefruit and cedar, two of my favorite notes. The effect is heavier than the average fresh scent, but lighter and more modern than most woods.

Tomorrow may not be very heavy for an oriental scent, but that is why I like it so much. Cocoa is the most prominent note, and the overall effect is sweet but not clearly gourmand. I find it to be unusually long-lasting, because I can often smell it faintly on my clothes even after washing them.

His Story is a good choice for a safe scent. It is light, but in a way that is different from other fresh scents. It has a persistent, leafy-greenness that appeals to me.

I believe that Full Speed is sold in the United States as RPM. RPM has a gin-and-tonic quality that I thought I would like more than I did. Despite my ambivalence, I found that I frequently reached for it when I could not decide on anything else.

Peak Zone is a generically "clean" scent.

Mesmerize is a strong, but well-made, and oddly comforting, composition of powdery vanilla.
    At last- two positive comments on the scents in my catalogue.
    Renato