Code of Conduct

Default Annick Goutal's Duel

The description of this scent at her site says
    "fresh, woody;
    Iris roots - leather - little Paraguay seeds - maté leaves - absinth - musk"

So, how come when I smell my hand where I've sprayed it, all I get is rubber?

This scent may attract the wrong kind of gal in my opinion, unless of course one is into the latex scene.
    Renato

Serpent

Default Re: Annick Goutal's Duel

If I sniff really hard, I can pick out a rubbery note in Duel, but it's not prominent on me. I'm testing the tiny bit I have left now. It's odd. It's green and sour and... sort of like neon limeade, the lime equivalent to L'Anarchiste's electric lemon-and-ammonia horror show. Actually, it makes me think of what the smell of that glowing juice inside glow sticks might have if it had a semi-fragrant aroma.

I wish Annick Goutal hadn't passed on. Her company's scents have been so poor since her death. A sales associate said to me just yesterday, "Well, her daughter just doesn't care." Smelling something like Duel, I'm inclined to agree...

I do get the rubber note out of it very clearly. It`s strong, dry rubber with shades of some herbs, and it makes me sick- no, I don`t like it at all.

However, this one is such a strange blend : the drydown is actually very complex and after a couple of hours it starts to reveal these soft tea-like notes. Eventually, it get`s very pleasant tea scent after all, but to me, those couple of hours at the start are just too much. The damage is done.

I am also not a Duel fan. It's a mess to my nose.

Quote Originally Posted by Serpent
    If I sniff really hard, I can pick out a rubbery note in Duel, but it's not prominent on me. I'm testing the tiny bit I have left now. It's odd. It's green and sour and... sort of like neon limeade, the lime equivalent to L'Anarchiste's electric lemon-and-ammonia horror show. Actually, it makes me think of what the smell of that glowing juice inside glow sticks might have if it had a semi-fragrant aroma.

I wish Annick Goutal hadn't passed on. Her company's scents have been so poor since her death. A sales associate said to me just yesterday, "Well, her daughter just doesn't care." Smelling something like Duel, I'm inclined to agree...
    Odd how you get something citrus out of it. To my nose, it also reminds me of a rubbery scent I smelled in a niche shop, but I can't remember its name - it was in the Santa Maria Novella line.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by PigeonMurderer
    I do get the rubber note out of it very clearly. It`s strong, dry rubber with shades of some herbs, and it makes me sick- no, I don`t like it at all.

However, this one is such a strange blend : the drydown is actually very complex and after a couple of hours it starts to reveal these soft tea-like notes. Eventually, it get`s very pleasant tea scent after all, but to me, those couple of hours at the start are just too much. The damage is done.
    Thanks for that.
    It's been over two hours now, and I still smell rubber, and maybe a bit of tea. When I smell Bvlgari Black I get tea, but others get rubber. Maybe the two are interwined in our olfactory perception system?

But if tea is there, how come that's not in the scent description either?

Unless of course, we're confusing some of those ingredients for tea and rubber.
    Renato

Well, I actually put this one on tonight.
    It doesn't last as long as I like, but I must admit it smells better in the actual wearing than on the back of my hand.
    The clothes or body heat must affect it, as it doesn't smell quite very rubbery.
    Renato

I get a distinct lemony tea scent, maybe a touch of rubber. Above all, TEA!

It's a nice smell, but is kind of "impersonal". Not really what I want to smell like, kind of leaves me cold.

I guess it's a good business scent.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW
    I get a distinct lemony tea scent, maybe a touch of rubber. Above all, TEA!

It's a nice smell, but is kind of "impersonal". Not really what I want to smell like, kind of leaves me cold.

I guess it's a good business scent.
    Hi Chuck,
    Odd how the tea scent fans around here never seem to mention this one much.

If tea is good, wouldn't a coffee scent be better for business?
    Renato

Hey Renato!

I think the problem with a lot of coffee scents for office-wear is that they're often too cloying and sweet. Whereas tea-based scents are fresher, and cleaner smelling.

I think Yohji is a fine office scent. And Rochas Man, if lightly applied, is a winner. New Haarlem was just too sweet and heavy for me. My new Cannabis Santal should work better.

The teas (Bvlgari Homme and Black, Duel) are just cleaner and not as heavy as the coffees.

Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by Renato
    Odd how you get something citrus out of it. To my nose, it also reminds me of a rubbery scent I smelled in a niche shop, but I can't remember its name - it was in the Santa Maria Novella line.
    Are you thinking of Nostalgia, the one that opens smelling of rubber, tar, and gasoline and ends smelling of sweet tobacco, vanilla, and wood? It's an homage to an auto race they have in the Tuscan hills or something. Good stuff, that.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW
    Hey Renato!

I think the problem with a lot of coffee scents for office-wear is that they're often too cloying and sweet. Whereas tea-based scents are fresher, and cleaner smelling.

I think Yohji is a fine office scent. And Rochas Man, if lightly applied, is a winner. New Haarlem was just too sweet and heavy for me. My new Cannabis Santal should work better.

The teas (Bvlgari Homme and Black, Duel) are just cleaner and not as heavy as the coffees.
    Yes, I was thinking Yohji and Cafe Cafe and maybe Rochas Man after a couple of hours.
    Renato

Are you thinking of Nostalgia, the one that opens smelling of rubber, tar, and gasoline and ends smelling of sweet tobacco, vanilla, and wood? It's an homage to an auto race they have in the Tuscan hills or something. Good stuff, that.
    No - when I think of Nostalgia I think more of straight petrol - the rubber being much more in the background. I recollect writing here about the most different scent ever, on the day I first smelled it.
    Renato

I'm a big fan of Duel for its tea and iris blend. I'd quickly put Duel into a signature scent category because I think it would work well to be lived in and used across all social and weather situations. And work in a latex scene too.

But if tea is there, how come that's not in the scent description either?

Renato
    I think tea is indeed in the scent description, Renato. From your first post:

"fresh, woody;
    Iris roots - leather - little Paraguay seeds - maté leaves - absinth - musk"
    Renato
    Maté leaves make a tea.

--Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I've sampled Duel on four or five different occasions from different sources and I've never noticed a rubber note in it, BUT every time I try it, I'm put off by a musty note that reminds me unequivocaly of a flanel suit that's been forgoten about and left in the back of a closet and then taken out after a few years of storage: THAT KIND OF SMELL!

This note always strikes me as being way out of place in what is a clean, astringent citrus/tea fragrance, but then I start thinking, "Oh, must be that French thing about including a discordant note to 'ennoble' the fragrance ... my bad!"
    ..."net", not "naut".

Quote Originally Posted by DustB
    I think tea is indeed in the scent description, Renato. From your first post:

Maté leaves make a tea.

--Chris
    Interesting your thoughts on Duel.

Is that the Maté like in Yerba Mate tea?
    Renato

Curious. I get two blind buys in the mail today, Duel and New West.

I post about both, but the post on the one I think is brilliant gets no response, while this one gets heaps.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by PigeonMurderer

I've not tried Duel, but with every Goutal scent I have tried, my experience corresponds to this exactly. To my nose, they all start off too harsh, sharp, bitter, herbal, intense - and yes, are almost sickening - and then after too much time smelling like rotting plants, the scent finally becomes tolerable. But as you say, the damage is done. I sold off all the Goutals I owned. I'm afraid the style is simply not for me.

Serpent

Is that the Maté like in Yerba Mate tea?
    They're one and the same.

They're one and the same.
    Thanks. I learn something new every day.
    Renato

So today I went to my ladyfriend's place and told her I was wearing Duel, and that I thought it smelled like rubber while others thought it smelled like tea.

I sprayed a blast on my arm and asked her what she thought it smelled like.
    She replied "Mortein" (i.e. a local fly spray)

Later on I asked her what it smelled like again.
    She sniffed my arm again and said that it no longer smelled like Mortein, but rather it smelled like Pea Beau (i.e. another local fly spray).

This one certainly was not a hit with her.
    Renato

Sorry to see people aren't groovin' on Duel. I do find it a strange
    scent, but I quite enjoy the mellow part of the sharp-mellow
    conflict that forms the "duel" in this scent.

The best Goutals still are the ones made before Annick Goutal's death.
    Yet, I'm glad they released Duel.

For me, Eau d'Hadrien is the Goutal that makes one really sit up and
    take notice of this house. A really marvellous citrus floral that is so
    peaceful yet invigorating at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by trumpet_guy
    For me, Eau d'Hadrien is the Goutal that makes one really sit up and
    take notice of this house. A really marvellous citrus floral that is so
    peaceful yet invigorating at the same time.
    The Sables and Nuit ones are the impressive ones for me. And given the really over the top reviews - for and against - I really want to check out the Vetiver. I've just never seen it anywhere.
    Renato

My wife totally loved this on me yesterday evening. I used about 8 sprays or so yesterday morning. She could smell it very clearly 9-10 hours later.

The first thing she picked out was the musk! She has a great nose for scents.

I have to say I am happy to have reacquired this. I've been without it for about two years. I enjoyed it all day.

I get a lighter version of Yang...Black tea baby!

On my skin I don't get much musk from Duel. The two dominant component I get are citrus and smoke. Plenty (read: way too much) of smoke. I adore Duel. It's light and rather transparent, if it wasn't for that smoke.